• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku's broken PS4 fixed, obstructed metal in HDMI port caused issue

Perfect. I'd not recommend everybody go poking around at every bit of metal in the HDMI port. Try with an old HDMI cable first. If it goes in smoothly thats that and you wont have the problem. If it doesn't use a knife or a thin screwdriver to clear the obstruction.

Pop

I don't know but the hdmi port is not the first thing I'd think about checking if my brand new PS4 died.

No video signal for Kotaku means a broken Ps4...

Maybe not the first thing you should check but something that should be on the list. This is like beginner level tech stuff. Instead they write an article.

big_z

Wait a minute. How the fuck? Did he get it early? How did they even take it in? My order is barely out of their warehouse. Mind fuck.

His arrived yesterday and died playing killzone. Futureshop has their launch stock they simply swapped the dead one for one of those.

Mine also arrived early today but my games just shipped so I'm holding off to see how this faulty hardware pans out.

His arrived yesterday and died playing killzone. Futureshop has their launch stock they simply swapped the dead one for one of those.

Mine also arrived early today but my games just shipped so I'm holding off to see how this faulty hardware pans out.
Good for you, but fuck Future Shop for processing mine so fucking late!

if we have multiple instances of HDMI port failure- NOT system failure due to downloading, then i think it's safe to narrow it down to the port or the cables.

i think it's more likely to be cheap cables than cheap HDMI ports. the cables could be cheaped out because they have to include them, but the port itself is a part of the system.

but this could also explain how IGN saw theirs briefly come to life when they pressed on it. it could have put some pressure on the connector internally and briefly allowed some pins to make contact.

jschreier

No video signal for Kotaku means a broken Ps4...

Maybe not the first thing you should check but something that should be on the list. This is like beginner level tech stuff. Instead they write an article.
Except we didn't write an article. Stephen mentioned it in his review, because it'd be wrong to not mention it, and then he reported what happened when he figured out what happened. At least get your facts straight before you pull out the pitchfork.

Krakn3Dfx

Chinese slave workers called, say very sorry, please understand.

Except we didn't write an article. Stephen mentioned it in his review, because it'd be wrong to not mention it, and then he reported what happened when he figured out what happened. At least get your facts straight before you pull out the pitchfork.

Pointed out a couple of times in other threads that you guys never put an article on the front page about PS4 issues in the wild, unlike other sites jumping the gun on half a dozen units out of thousands.

<3 Kotaku, good people IMO.

Not saying Kotaku handled it wrong but maybe sites shouldn't jump the gun so fast?

IGN with the BROKEN PS4's headline for the hits. This thread isn't going to get half the attention the original thread did.

Either way good news.

http://kotaku.com/good-news-about-our-once-broken-ps4-1464813671

The slightly bad news is that we're unable to tell you why this happened. It's certainly possible that we accidentally knocked that piece of metal upward when we first plugged Sony's HDMI wire into the PS4. We can't rule out human error on our end. But we've been plugging wires into HDMI sockets for a long time, and we've never had this issue before. It's also possible there was something wrong with Sony's wire and that that's where the initial fault lies. Or perhaps the jack was indeed badly made. Sony doesn't know. We don't know.

Weird

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbJfqGbQYXQ

If I had to guess, I'd say I'd be on the lookout for Richard Leadbetter and Arthur Gies roaming the halls of the event hotel in NCY with a screwdriver and a pair of needlenose pliers.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
The twitter account for EA Sports FIFA just tweeted this out. Strange they would send this piece of "news" out but they struggle to refer to the PS4 version in any of their recent FIFA 14 next gen promos.

JCizzle

Yea probably their fault, maybe forcing in hdmi backwards then pulling out or something like that.

Even if they did, I'm sure that will be a mistake that tens of thousands of people will make over the next month as they try to blindly plug stuff in from the rear. Hopefully something so minor wouldn't be the cause of this bent pin.

I'm glad it worked out in any case, much better to be a broken pin than defective unit.

VillageBC

nobody should be required to do troubleshooting on a ps4. it is a console. if it doesn't plug in and go it goes back for repair.

Terrell

Not saying Kotaku handled it wrong but maybe sites shouldn't jump the gun so fast?

IGN with the BROKEN PS4's headline for the hits. This thread isn't going to get half the attention the original thread did.

Either way good news.
Why?
Say they said nothing and it comes out later that it happened to theirs. You know what that would look like to a casual observer?

Treat it like Operation the game.

Honestly, when us gamers go out and spent 400 bucks on tech we're highly anticipating, I think we're going to be more naturally OCD about properly and gently hooking it up, as opposed to some vidya game journo who got the thing for free without waiting in line and just herp-a-derp starts plugging shit in.

Nobody is at fault, hardware should be built tough so that dipshits don't fuck it up, but for some reason I think Gaffers will be a little bit more gentle for the highly sought out / hard to get 400 dollar machine we just bought.

Krakn3Dfx

nobody should be required to do troubleshooting on a ps4. it is a console. if it doesn't plug in and go it goes back for repair.

These next gen consoles are basically mid-level gaming PCs being churned out by the millions by cheap Chinese labor, you're going to find between both of them a little knowledge and willingness to get your hands dirty will go a long way.

If you want something that requires no effort on your part ever, we have a product for you.

Nintendo64.jpg

Big deal over something so minor. I mean how could you not at least check that part, at least once.

So pushing it back down fixed it. haha
To be fair they never made a big deal over anything. They simply mentioned that it happened. If anyone turned it into a big deal it was people here on NeoGAF.

seriously.

plus you guys and the other sites with PS4 issues have been going about it all in a very calm manner. i don't see what the hub bub is about. glad to hear you got it fixed!

did you check the other HDMI cables you tried to make sure those aren't damaged now?

owlbeak

Watching that video makes me cringe. Maybe look at the back of the unit while you're plugging in the cable instead of just jamming it around blindly?

Glad the issue was solved, though and it wasn't a major problem!

To play Devil's Advocate, there has been a depressingly high number of people going OMG RROD 2 PS4S WILL INEVITABLY FAIL WTF MY PS4 WILL SET FIRE TO MY HOUSE BBQ (such as the poster below me) after reading stuff like your aforementioned article, IGN's article and the ongoing Hi11Zones lecture in how not to treat electronics. That's probably more people being dense than anything else, but y'know. It's a new console, failures will happen.

(I'll laugh my arse off if Polygon's Xbone turns out to be dead on arrival. They ain't giving it anything less than an 8, they have a reputation to maintain)

Mr. Burrows

Neo Member
How many average non hardcore gaming crowd will actually have the ability let alone to knowledge of the "defect" to make this "repair" if widespread?

I'm thinking not friggin many. Dammit Sony and dammit so much for next gen. :(

God knows what surgery the Xbone is gonna need.

We're screwed either way.

Guess I should get a Wii U or fancy PC for fucks sake.

Top Bottom