• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku's Superannuation: The Elder Scrolls Online has cost $200 million

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Wow. Like, FFXIV 1.0 bad? Or somehow not even bad in the range of MMOs but just games?
All MMORPGs. All video games. I have no idea how they could ever recoup $200 million off of this.

MrDaravon

Wow. Like, FFXIV 1.0 bad? Or somehow not even bad in the range of MMOs but just games?

I have two friends who stuck out FF14 1.0 for almost a year (?) and who LOVE Elder Scrolls, and they said ESO beta was maybe the worst online game/mmo they've ever played. And these are the same guys that I actually got around 500 hours of enjoyment out of Phantasy Star Universe with. So yeah.

What the fuck man.

Sometimes I wonder if there aren't just one member of their dev team that is in touch with actual reality.

Is it a sub-based game btw ?

Shogun1337

Every time I load up skyrim or oblivion, all I think about is "online online mmorpg online online mmorgp". Then I realize that it isn't online. I'm not sure why this game isn't rubbing me the right way though. I should be excited. :/

Because all the hate being spewn about it on the internet is throwing you off. Happens to the best of us.

Fallom

Banned
I think it's more that they've already put in a ton of money so they're putting more money in to at least recoup a bit of it. They don't need a miracle to at least make some money, not if the sales for Skyrim are any indication. Granted, this game seems to have much, much less hype than Skyrim (and rightfully so).

sunk-cost fallacy
When one makes a hopeless investment, one sometimes reasons: I can’t stop now, otherwise what I’ve invested so far will be lost. This is true, of course, but irrelevant to whether one should continue to invest in the project. Everything one has invested is lost regardless. If there is no hope for success in the future from the investment, then the fact that one has already lost a bundle should lead one to the conclusion that the rational thing to do is to withdraw from the project.

They should have canceled this thing ages ago. There's no point in it existing, and the beta was...something else.

Foffy

Banned
I have two friends who stuck out FF14 1.0 for almost a year (?) and who LOVE Elder Scrolls, and they said ESO beta was maybe the worst online game/mmo they've ever played. And these are the same guys that I actually got around 500 hours of enjoyment out of Phantasy Star Universe with. So yeah.

Oh. OH. So, this is literally the Skyrim of MMOs? ;)

Seriously though, everything I have seen about this game looks absolutely unfocused. Sooner or later these companies (and other industries, to be fair) have to learn throwing money at something doesn't make it worth shit.

kswiston

This smells like 'Blunder of the Century' all over again, and Bethesda knows it. Tortanic part 2 here we come.

They should have cancelled this a couple of years ago, but probably figured the sunk costs warranted completing the game. ESO started development in 2007.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Bethesda is going to do everything in their power to disingenuously market this as Skyrim Online, when it just looks like a shitty generic MMO with graphics and animation from 2006. I'm sure many will fall for it.

To be fair, the graphics and animation are par for the course for Bethesda games before the mod community gets a hold of them.

Zoggy

NUMBERS

If they sell 7million (skyrim sold 10 in the first month) units with $45 revenue (consumer paying 60) a pop, they will have made a $115 million profit.

Month two, they make $105 million with no additional work, just on subs.

That's enough.
um what?

do you really think after they release the game there is NO additional work to be done? are you serious? do you know anything about MMOs or internet infrastructure?

jesus christ

Nokterian

NUMBERS

If they sell 7million (skyrim sold 10 in the first month) units with $45 revenue (consumer paying 60) a pop, they will have made a $115 million profit.

That's enough.

That's not how it works.

Zafir

Well, I think it's safe to say they probably aren't going to make that money back easily.

I don't know if it's improved any, but the last gameplay video I saw made it look rather bad.

NUMBERS

That's enough.

haha, youre dreaming. 7 million sales in 1st month?
That would instantly put it on the same user numbers as World of Warcraft, in one month!

amazing.

TrounceX

I'm not so sure this is going to be the colossal failure GAF thinks it will be. Elder Scrolls carries a lot of weight as a franchise, especially after Skyrim and it's shocking success with casual audiences. I mean look at Reddit, captions of Skyrim still regularly make the front page. It's insane.

So I say market this game like crazy and keep reinforcing that it's related to Skyrim and it will be somewhat successful in the short term. I do not think it will have any legs with a subscription model, so after they recoup some money, they had better be ready to go F2P.

But massive failure that will possibly bankrupt Bethesda and/or damage the ES brand? Not seeing it.

AngryMoth

Oh dear.

Forgive my ignorance as I haven't played an mmo before, but what exactly is it about that genre that requires such large budgets and dev cycles? I mean I know you have to make a lot of content, but skyrim had hundreds of hours of content and that didn't cost $200m.

Veldin

Doomed.

There will be a hilarious number of videos showcasing the game's awfulness when it launches. Probably more than The Old Republic.

Xater

I don't think I have heard a single positive impression of this game so far and all I have seen looked totally uninteresting. I really don't have much hope for this.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You know, maybe they should have bought 38 Studios and just slapped Elder Scrolls on it. Seems like a more financially sound decision at this point.

kswiston

Oh dear.

Forgive my ignorance as I haven't played an mmo before, but what exactly is it about that genre that requires such large budgets and dev cycles? I mean I know you have to make a lot of content, but skyrim had hundreds of hours of content and that didn't cost $200m.

MMOs require persistent words many times larger than Skyrim with hundreds/thousands of simultaneous players.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Did no one learn from The Old Republic?

I'm pretty sure that TOR is in the clear, sadly.
2m copies were wold at fullprice, that's 120m right out of the gate
first two months had ~2m subs, another 30m
four months of ~1m subs, another 30m
Plus tail and f2p. It's not a huge success, but it's probably in the clear.

The beta felt like the worst MMO I ever played

Hasn't SWTOR turned a profit since going F2P? I heard that, but I don't know if it's actually true or not.

For a MMO is long term so it's impossible to say if it has turned a profit, but from whats been said, SWTOR has been doing fine. It lost alot of momentum and subs early on but it's held on and after f2p came out they had more than doubled their revenues. They needed at least 500k subs originally to break even, and last we heard the game had about that many subs, while making more than double that from micro transactions. It was also stated their largest revenue generator from microtransactions in any f2p title they have. It also sold over 2.5 mil copies last mentioned when the game was being sold retail before F2P.

They have been hiring for the game for a while, delivering regular content updates, and EA recently said their committed to TOR long term, so assume it's making profit. Just not the huge numbers they expected originally.

Animator

Is anyone even excited for this game? I have yet to meet anyone that went "man I cant wait to play ESO!" and I have a lot of friends into MMO's.

Zoracka

I was initially somewhat excited for this. I like The Elder Scrolls Universe, but after seeing gameplay of it, I think the game will go F2P faster that Star Wars. It looks really, really dull.

I'm not so sure this is going to be the colossal failure GAF thinks it will be. Elder Scrolls carries a lot of weight as a franchise, especially after Skyrim and it's shocking success with casual audiences. I mean look at Reddit, captions of Skyrim still regularly make the front page. It's insane.

So I say market this game like crazy and keep reinforcing that it's related to Skyrim and it will be somewhat successful in the short term. I do not think it will have any legs with a subscription model, so after they recoup some money, they had better be ready to go F2P.

But massive failure that will possibly bankrupt Bethesda and/or damage the ES brand? Not seeing it.

The whole sub model is what really turned people off from it (also I think there was some kind of beta that didn't go off well iirc?). It probably will bring some of those that really like The Elder Scrolls over to it, but I don't think it'll be $200mill enough.

So I agree. I also wouldn't be surprised if it goes F2P either.

Snaku

Banned
Doesn't look or play like Elder Scrolls, expecting massive sales on name recognition alone? Should have called it Skyrim Online.

Nokterian

You clearly don't understand when this was announced. I am also a big fan of the ES brand but nobody's asked for this. It is a massive failure enough gaffers all ready played the beta and well beta is beta but reading from there reactions and still seeing footage it doesn't look like i want to pay 60 euro's and another 15 euro's a month for it.

Warcraft is the last in this dying breed of subscription based mmo's. It's all buy 2 play like The Secret World or Guild Wars 2 or the next generation of free to play mmo's like Everquest Next.

Roshin

I guess the goal now is to get the game into a reasonable state, boot it out the door, grab every dollar they can get, and then cancel it or try for F2P.

Is anyone even excited for this game? I have yet to meet anyone that went "man I cant wait to play ESO!" and I have a lot of friends into MMO's.

I know folks excited for it, they are ES fans and they typically hate MMOs.

They were raving about how good the game was after the last beta weekend lol

I guess the goal now is to get the game into a reasonable state, boot it out the door, grab every dollar they can get, and then cancel it or try for F2P.

Game is launching with cash shop microtransactions, so assume they are already planning F2P bailout.

Top Bottom