• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Krazy Kong hits the App Store (Donkey Kong rip-off)

Using this logic, console gaming is "fucking pathetic" because of Phoenix Games

Eq1Y4rB.jpg

TXWcaBB.jpg

...but everyone knows that would be shitty reasoning, right?

Not really the reasoning anybody's going with, but you go ahead. I'll just remark on how "Snow White & The Seven Clever Boys" is needlessly avoiding something that has no copyright!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That's his father. The DKC games star the adult version of Donkey Kong Jr, who wears the tie. :p
I thought they settled on Grandfather and the whereabout of Jr are unknown. But anywho, it's still a DK without a tie (until DK '94).

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Hamster Ball has to be a rip-off of Monkey Ball.
Maniac Mole I don't know.
Crabby might be an "original" game. Who'd have thunk!

border

It's a terrible game, but there's probably better things to throw a fit about. Crazy Kong bears no resemblance to any of the Donkey Kong games and it's so awful they are going to make nothing off of microtransactions.

I'm surprised they tried to ship a product that is so completely threadbare. No music, no sound effects for things there should be sounds for. It's preposterous to claim this exemplifies iOS/mobile gaming at all.

So the creators of King Kong sued Nintendo because they believed DK was too similar to KK.

I wonder if Nintendo will have the balls to act on this....

Codeblue

The only thing I could come up with on Maniac Mole was maybe:

RrgE6T8.png

Doesn't seem like it has brand power worth ripping off though.

Haunted

No tie?

1280356830-nintendo-se-sent-plus-menace-par-apple-que-par-microsoft.jpg

Its not the same game
How hilarious would it be if that "not the same game, not the same content" line from the Batman interview would come back to bite them in the ass in an actual court case. :lol

I know that's not how things work.

Apple manually approve all iOS apps before publication, yes? If so, even though they don't have a direct hand in these infringing apps, they have a duty of care to reject these painfully obvious infringing applications.

What if Nintendo approved a video chat app on the eShop called FaceyTime? Apple would sue the hell out of Nintendo.

border

Apple manually approve all iOS apps before publication, yes? If so, even though they don't have a direct hand in these infringing apps, they have a duty of care to reject these painfully obvious infringing applications.

Pretty much anyone is welcome to use the "Kong" suffix for a game, I think. The King Kong story is considered to be public domain.

Having a lawyer work on a lawsuit for a day would probably cost more than they could ever hope to win in a lawsuit anyway.

bill0527

mcdowells-xlarge.gif

See they've got the Big Mac, we've got the Big Mick

Edit: just tried this game and its a piece of trash. I'd rather play arcade DK from 1984. Goddamn even free costs too much for this. If this kind of garbage is whats killing the console business then an asteroid might as well fall from the sky and wipe us all out, because we are done as a species.

Pretty much anyone is welcome to use the "Kong" suffix for a game, I think. The King Kong story is considered to be public domain.

Having a lawyer work on a lawsuit for a day would probably cost more than they could ever hope to win in a lawsuit anyway.

The name is the least of this app's worries.

Yeah, I clicked on this thread thinking it was about one of the most famous pirate arcade boards of all time, Crazy Kong, a total ripoff of DK that just messes with palette colors and stage order, and barely alters the original game outside of messing with tile/sprite placement in a manner that resembles ROM corruption rather than planned changes. Played this one lots at a Shakey's Pizza near my house when I was a kid, maybe a year or so after DK originally debuted at the arcade. Only Rainbow chip SF II equals this particular game for unabashed theft and resale.

Jetku

8emUxQc.jpg

As the 3rd best Krazy Kong player of all time, I'd like to say... This game is awesome. Never mind the awful controls, the magical never ending supply of vaporizing bananas, or the full screen ads that sometimes appear without pausing the game.

This game definitely puts me into a zen mode...

Top Bottom