• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kroger Karen blocks woman from doing her food delivery job

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
https://heavy.com/news/2020/06/kroger-karen-shaneeka-montgomery-strickland/

A Facebook Livestream posted by Shaneeka Montgomery-Strickland went viral after she videotaped a woman refusing to let her leave a Kroger parking lot by standing behind her car with her child in a stroller.

The video goes on for more than ten minutes as at least one passer-by urges the unidentified woman to just move as Montgomery-Strickland repeatedly says she can’t believe what is happening.

According to Fox-2, a local news station, Montgomery-Strickland and her children were shopping in the Kroger in Livonia along Detroit’s famous Eight Mile Road without any issues. But when her son stepped on a shelf to get some Gatorade, she said the woman began yelling at her son.

“She said, ‘Ohmygod, they went up to get they Gatorade and I’m trying to shop here.’ It was irateness,” Montgomery-Strickland told Fox-2. She said she explained to the woman that her son was short and was reaching for an item off the high shelf, then asked her not to yell.

Montgomery-Strickland said she was in the middle of food delivery when the woman refused to move from behind her vehicle.

At one point, the unidentified woman demands that she stop videotaping because her baby is in the video. Montgomery-Strickland responds by saying she is recording what is happening.

Several times, Montgomery-Strickland tries to get the woman to move, stating “I want you from behind my vehicle.”

Two minutes into the video, the unidentified woman says something, to which Montgomery-Strickland responds, “The way you were talking to my kids, you didn’t think they were well-behaved, ma’am. You have been very horrible ma’am and you’re being very horrible now.”

“You can’t hold me here and it’s like you’re holding me hostage. You all see this mess? This is ridiculous,” Montgomery-Strickland says to those passing by.

Nine minutes into the video, Montgomery-Strickland is still asking the woman to move. “All I want is for you to get from behind my vehicle,” she says.

Once police arrived, the woman immediately moved from behind Montgomery-Strickland’s car and hustled to speak to the officers first.

In a later Facebook Livestream, Montgomery-Strickland relayed what happened:

They were like, ‘delete the video’ and I was like, ‘I don’t have to.’ And they were like, ‘yeah, you don’t have to.’ And I’m not. So they asked me what law did she break and I said a lot. I said basically I felt hostage because she’s standing there telling me that I can’t leave and I’m a grown woman with three kids. Now if I (would) have backed over her, they would have been like, ‘Oh, well, you in the wrong.’

After the incident, Montgomery-Strickland described what she said took place in the store:

“She started getting irate with me and I left it like that,” Montgomery-Strickland said during another Facebook Livestream discussing the event. “I ignored her, but she kept on, just kept on. So … I said let me hurry up and get out of here.”

Montgomery-Strickland said she and her three children were going to their car when the woman from the store came to her car and called her a b***h.

I was very upset with her and I didn’t say nothing to her. And then she decided to stand behind my car like, you know, like she wanted to get something started. So I said, you know what, you have to get from behind my car. So then when I went live with her, she’s like, ‘uh, you can’t put my baby in the thing.’ And I said, ‘I can do what I want to.’

---

The police asked her to delete the video, it was live streamed anyway :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Is the term "Karen" ever applicable to non white women or is it a derogatory term for whites only?

White middle aged women have a truly unique form of cultural, and psychological entitlement / bitterness unique to them. It can someday potentially apply to someone else of different race, but they would have to grow up in the same entitled way to truly become a Karen. I think they have to be female only, because part of the mindset is born from someone who has never been in a physical fight in their life and is shielded from all physical confrontation. They probably were spoiled as a kid, spoiled by their dating partners. And they typically are white, because they are also spoiled by authority figures and inherently know that police and managers will run to their aid 99% of the time.

White women are the most privileged class of people on Earth. When you run into one who lost her looks due to age and obesity, and is accustomed to literally getting everything they want handed to them for their entire life but now doesnt always get special treatment because she's not 30 y/o, you have encountered a Karen.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I’ve only ever seen Karen used to describe a white woman

it seems like the new “TERF” a way for misogynist white male feminists to actively hate and shame real women, who they are jealous of

Punished Miku

Gold Member
it seems like the new “TERF” a way for misogynist white male feminists to actively hate and shame real women, who they are jealous of

I think this one kind of came from Black twitter, but I could be wrong. White male feminists are still rushing to defend white women.

brap

Banned
I can't tell if this mess of a sentence was formed by Don Vito or by dropping a bag of scrabble tiles on the floor. What a fucking mess

UI9pXOc.png

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
White middle aged women have a truly unique form of cultural, and psychological entitlement / bitterness unique to them. It can someday potentially apply to someone else of different race, but they would have to grow up in the same entitled way to truly become a Karen. I think they have to be female only, because part of the mindset is born from someone who has never been in a physical fight in their life and is shielded from all physical confrontation. They probably were spoiled as a kid, spoiled by their dating partners. And they typically are white, because they are also spoiled by authority figures and inherently know that police and managers will run to their aid 99% of the time.

So there's something innately flawed about middle age white women specifically?

Coily

Banned
Americans, WTF is wrong with you guys?

What kind of mother would endanger their child by blocking a parked car with a stroller?

Such cuntery on this Karen

GTFO of the way of a parked car

Listen to Bill Burr's podcast, he explains it really well in Lame Man's terms when he talks about white women, hehehe

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member

No. I said it could apply to anyone raised in a society to be very spoiled, and then grow bitter in middle age. It's not part of their genetics. It's cultural.

And it's pretty much a joke. But honestly, there's so many videos of this happening with this exact demographic that people finally named it in a jokey way. It's of course still a huge generalization and just mostly for humor.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I think this one kind of came from Black twitter, but I could be wrong. White male feminists are still rushing to defend white women.

I don't think it's that.

I think the interesting idea here is how our society seems it acceptable to create and use a derogatory term for a group of people based on skin color.

Imagine if society did that for another group of people with a different skin color.

I just don't see this happening in 1980, 1990, 2000 etc... It seems very of the moment. Maybe I'm wrong though.

cryptoadam

Banned
Well I want to hear the other side of the story but what kind of dummy lady just waste her time standing behind some other dummy ladies car.

But all these empowered Karens are why were are where we are today. That black lady should of just smacked the shit out of her. Grabbed the stroller moved it out of the way and back up over that Karen.

These Karens think they can do whatever they want, and then you see the feminist message get passed down, and then they go on the streets and protest and get in cops faces empowered with their Karen feminisim telling them they are as strong as men and men can't touch them no matter what.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I don't think it's that.

I think the interesting idea here is how our society seems it acceptable to create and use a derogatory term for a group of people based on skin color.

Imagine if society did that for another group of people with a different skin color.

I just don't see this happening in 1980, 1990, 2000 etc... It seems very of the moment. Maybe I'm wrong though.

It's a joke, and it does involve race. If you're hypersensitive you could frame it as racist if you want.

But it's really not. It was born from dozens of videos of black people minding their business, doing completely normal things like BBQing at a picnic, bird watching, shopping for groceries, etc., and getting reported to management or police by someone that was really irrationally bitter and aggressive. In response to having the cops called on them, they are just making a silly joke. It's nothing.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
every time somebody posts a black woman going crazy in public they will now be labeled a shaniqua.

There's lots of jokes like that too. The punchline there though is that black people are uncultured and uncivilized.

The punchline with Karen is that they are very spoiled by society and authority figures. The punchline literally is trying to make light of systemic racism. I just don't think it's the same thing.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It's a joke, and it does involve race. If you're hypersensitive you could frame it as racist if you want.

But it's really not. It was born from dozens of videos of black people minding their business, doing completely normal things like BBQing at a picnic, bird watching, shopping for groceries, etc., and getting reported to management or police by someone that was really irrationally bitter and aggressive. In response to having the cops called on them, they are just making a silly joke. It's nothing.

But imagine if the skin colors were reversed.

Imagine if there was a stereotypical behavior by another race that birthed a phrase...and the response to criticism using that term is "Relax. It's a joke."

I'm not even offended by the term. Just find it fascinating how people rationalize things differently based on "the climate" as opposed to logic.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Imagine if there was a stereotypical behavior by another race that birthed a phrase...and the response to criticism using that term is "Relax. It's a joke."

I'm not even offended by the term. Just find it fascinating how people rationalize things differently based on "the climate" as opposed to logic.

Welcome to comedy in general. It varies what counts as an acceptable joke. People can still make nerdy Asian jokes, or bad driver Asian jokes, because most people don't feel Asians are very oppressed.

Humor changes along with society.

LordKasual

Banned

Skin colors are reversed all the time

It may not be right to tell white people to just "accept" it...

.....but considering what minorities have to put up with concerning stereotypes, "Karen" is comically weak

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I read all of that, I still have no idea what happened, and now I'm angry.
Kid gets up on very bottom store shelf to lift himself to grab drink, woman loses her mind and decides to block the mother from leaving the parking lot by blocking the car with a stroller which has her daughter in it. The police were called.

Stepping on the lower shelf is something every kid has done growing up. If you ever have left the house even once in your life you have done it.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Cops should have asked to watch the video and charged this white trailer trash with child endangerment. Regardless of who may have started the verbal altercation.
Standing behind a strangers vehicle while they're attempting to reverse with your young child. Fucking idiot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Welcome to comedy in general. It varies what counts as an acceptable joke. People can still make nerdy Asian jokes, or bad driver Asian jokes, because most people don't feel Asians are very oppressed.

Humor changes along with society.

I'm not sure it's healthy to attach humor rules to perceived oppression. We would need a scientifically sound, highly detailed chart, to illustrate how groups rank according to oppression. Then we would need to draw a clear line between groups to differentiate who is fair game and who isn't.

But more importantly, I know society has deemed it acceptable to joke about those in higher standing (Asians are good at math), but we certainly don't allow derogatory words to be used to refer to Asians, Jews, Indians, Homosexuals etc...

I'm not sure if it's a great sign when society starts focusing on skin color.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm not sure it's healthy to attach humor rules to perceived oppression. We would need a scientifically sound, highly detailed chart, to illustrate how groups rank according to oppression. Then we would need to draw a clear line between groups to differentiate who is fair game and who isn't.

But more importantly, I know society has deemed it acceptable to joke about those in higher standing (Asians are good at math), but we certainly don't allow derogatory words to be used to refer to Asians, Jews, Indians, Homosexuals etc...

I'm not sure if it's a great sign when society starts focusing on skin color.

Well, my OP made a claim that I genuinely believe - that white women are the most privileged class of people on Earth. In all media we have consumed for hundreds of years, they are ranked as the most important. They're the one to be saved in hero stories, and put on the life boat in the Titanic. They're the victim people empathize with most in national murder and kidnapping stories. They're sexualized as the most desirable. They're pretty much the only people discussed in almost all of feminist history as the most oppressed victim. They have basically received 100% positive media coverage as a generalized group for a very long time.

The Karen joke is making light of systemic issues, and not skin color of an individual person. Everyone picked up on this subconsciously and was never forced to painfully articulate all of it like I'm doing here. They just knew, and it made the joke funny. People also have used the name Susan for similar jokes. Purposely familiar, bland, completely non-threatening names are part of the joke, because it's highlighting the people that are seen as the nicest and most non-confrontational people ever - soccer moms - and showing that systemically they are catered to as victims. It's a humorous critique of our culture.

Normally, it may not be a great sign when society focuses on this kind of joke. But actually, I think that there's a tiny kernel of truth buried in this simple and unsophisticated joke that is something that society needed to talk about for years, and it's actually a great thing we're getting to use humor to make people think on it. Almost everyone on this site believes that SJW mentality and radical feminism is damaging our culture, and what this joke does is highlight that our whole culture is designed to cater to and exaggerate the victim status of white women. It's possibly the only main stream example in modern history of a viral or popular conversation where people agree that feminist narrative is exaggerated. It's something people needed to talk about and acknowledge as being true, but couldn't find a way to do it. This joke captured it in a simple and mostly harmless way, and that's why it went viral, because everyone finally got to acknowledge something that's true that they couldn't say. I think the more we as a society can see through some of the exaggerations of modern feminist hysteria, the healthier all of our interactions will be, and this joke plays a tiny, tiny part in helping that along in a mostly harmless and funny way.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I think the word Karen needs to be retired already. If someone is acting like a dumbass call them a bitch or a cunt. Why beat around the bush?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Well, my OP made a claim that I genuinely believe - that white women are the most privileged class of people on Earth. In all media we have consumed for hundreds of years, they are ranked as the most important. They're the one to be saved in hero stories, and put on the life boat in the Titanic. They're the victim people empathize with most in national murder and kidnapping stories. They're sexualized as the most desirable. They're pretty much the only people discussed in almost all of feminist history as the most oppressed victim. They have basically received 100% positive media coverage as a generalized group for a very long time.

The Karen joke is making light of systemic issues, and not skin color of an individual person. Everyone picked up on this subconsciously and was never forced to painfully articulate all of it like I'm doing here. They just knew, and it made the joke funny. People also have used the name Susan for similar jokes. Purposely familiar, bland, completely non-threatening names are part of the joke, because it's highlighting the people that are seen as the nicest and most non-confrontational people ever - soccer moms - and showing that systemically they are catered to as victims. It's a humorous critique of our culture.

Normally, it may not be a great sign when society focuses on this kind of joke. But actually, I think that there's a tiny kernel of truth buried in this simple and unsophisticated joke that is something that society needed to talk about for years, and it's actually a great thing we're getting to use humor to make people think on it. Almost everyone on this site believes that SJW mentality and radical feminism is damaging our culture, and what this joke does is highlight that our whole culture is designed to cater to and exaggerate the victim status of white women. It's possibly the only main stream example in modern history of a viral or popular conversation where people agree that feminist narrative is exaggerated. It's something people needed to talk about and acknowledge as being true, but couldn't find a way to do it. This joke captured it in a simple and mostly harmless way, and that's why it went viral, because everyone finally got to acknowledge something that's true that they couldn't say. I think the more we as a society can see through some of the exaggerations of modern feminist hysteria, the healthier all of our interactions will be, and this joke plays a tiny, tiny part in helping that along in a mostly harmless and funny way.

Eh, totally not down with assigning an entire group of people with certain negative characteristics. I'm not sure if history has ever shown us that that's constructive.

Btw, the "Bro, it's just a joke" defense can be applied to just about every ethnic slur known to man.

Best of luck to you on the Oppression Olympics though.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
The popular discourse in America is so racially and politically charged that two women having a spat outside a grocery store is a point of argument in our innocent gaming board. Social networks are dividing us.

samporter

Banned
I think there should be new laws against someone recording then uploading videos to the internet which ruin another person's reputation or job.

I'm pretty sure there are laws against recording people without their permission or setting a trap for people to fall into.

Social media and especially Twitter needs to be regulated against these sort of things. The court of public opinion is not something society should endorse, especially with all the outrageous lies and distortions that happens. Hands up don't shoot, skittles, running away from cops. We'll seen all the lies these twitter mobs can spread and these sort of lies have lead to riots and real destruction.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
I think there should be new laws against someone recording then uploading videos to the internet which ruin another person's reputation or job.

I'm pretty sure there are laws against recording people without their permission or setting a trap for people to fall into.

Social media and especially Twitter needs to be regulated against these sort of things. The court of public opinion is not something society should endorse, especially with all the outrageous lies and distortions that happens. Hands up don't shoot, skittles, running away from cops. We'll seen all the lies these twitter mobs can spread and these sort of lies have lead to riots and real destruction.

LMAO. You worried you're going to be the star of an upcoming FB Live?

Shaneeka
Montgomery
Strickland
What's this supposed to be?

samporter

Banned
LMAO. You worried you're going to be the star of an upcoming FB Live?

What's this supposed to be?

That's quite a takeaway. You seem to have no problem with people being able to record and upload videos of other people without their permission. Would it be okay if someone recorded the changing room at a gym because they want to expose "racism"? How about recording someone performing something at their job in an improper manner, say wasting company time or being late?

Has it ever crossed your mind what these sort of slippery slopes can lead to? Or is everything okay as long as it is in the name of fighting "racism"?

Last edited:

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
That's quite a takeaway. You seem to have no problem with people being able to record and upload videos of other people without their permission. Would it be okay if someone recorded the changing room at a gym because they want to expose "racism"? How about recording someone performing something at their job in an improper manner, say wasting company time or being late?

Has it ever crossed your mind what these sort of slippery slopes can lead to? Or is everything okay as long as it is in the name of fighting "racism"?

The only slippery slopes come from your stupid examples.
In reality there is no slippery slope because we have these things called laws. There is no expectation of privacy when out in public, but it's illegal for someone to record you in a changing room.
Don't slip on your way out.

samporter

Banned
The only slippery slopes come from your stupid examples.
In reality there is no slippery slope because we have these things called laws. There is no expectation of privacy when out in public, but it's illegal for someone to record you in a changing room.
Don't slip on your way out.

Nice try. But let's work with what you have. So there should be ground rules about recording, yes? Where does that ground rule begin and end then? Should there be consequences if those rules are not followed? Are you for or against recording without permission then? Or is it only okay when you say it is as long as it's in the name of fighting "racism"?

BTW, if recording in public is okay because there is no expectation of privacy, you might want to explain why the police asked the woman to delete the video then.

Top Bottom