• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

Does anyone know what the equivalent model to the KS8000 is in the Nordic countries? They sell these model:
  • KS8005
  • KS7005

The KS7005 has the same stand as the KS8000 while the KS8005 has a more ordinary looking stand. There are also KS7505 and KS9005 but both are curved.

Going on my best googling and comparision skills, I'm 99% sure the KS7005 is the same as the KS7000 in the UK which is the same as the KS8000 in the US.

So...

KS7005 (Nordic) = KS7000 (UK) = KS8000 (USA)

The settings for the KS7000 UK Samsung site match exactly to the KS7005 site.

KS7005 Link

KS7000 Link

KS8000 Link

I could be completely wrong though!

i dont know if it was mentioned already. its very important to set the ps4 setting for RGB to full. "RGB Range: Full"

On automatic the picture looked way to dark! after changing it to Full it now looks amazing.

No, that depends on the "HDMI Black Levels" settings on the TV. it should match that whether it's full or limited.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
Does anyone know what the equivalent model to the KS8000 is in the Nordic countries? They sell these model:
  • KS8005
  • KS7005

The KS7005 has the same stand as the KS8000 while the KS8005 has a more ordinary looking stand. There are also KS7505 and KS9005 but both are curved.

The following are the Norwegian models and their equivalents in the US.

Norway US
KS7005 KS8000
KS7505 KS8500
KS8005 KS9000
KS9005 KS9500
KS9505 KS9800

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
So I bought my 4K ready receiver in 2014, hoping one day I will buy 4K TV and I won't have to replace it.

Yesterday I got my TV, and when I connect my Xbox directly, it does 4k. But when I pass it through the receiver. Its only 1080p.

Here is the receiver Pioneer VSX-823
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-823-K

fuck man. Am I missing something here? god damn it. I don't want to spend another 500 to replace my receiver :(

Tratorn

So when do new TVs normally get released? That's probably the time when older models get cheaper, right? So I'm interested in the KS8000 but as a
poor
student I don't want to buy an expensive TV and see it way cheaper 3 months later.
Not really following the TV market (both price and technology), so would be nice to hear when it's the "best" time to get one.

_RT_

Just route the equipment through the connect box.
Then go optical out to the receiver.

That's what I'm doing for now.

The only thing I can't seem to find reliable information on is the audio hit I'm taking by doing this.

Trojan

Just route the equipment through the connect box.
Then go optical out to the receiver.

That's what I'm doing for now.

The only thing I can't seem to find reliable information on is the audio hit I'm taking by doing this.

It's very minimal from what I've read. I have my receiver setup the same way. It's so much easier, I don't know why more people don't use that setup.

newsguy

It's very minimal from what I've read. I have my receiver setup the same way. It's so much easier, I don't know why more people don't use that setup.

Because if you have a good sound system or dedicated theater, optical doesn't cut it. I am currently doing the optical to receiver route, but if I had the pro in my home theater, optical is a no no.

Steiner84

well, fuck, yes it does when connected directly..
ill try a few things, firmware update, different ports..

ok, theres a new firmware. it takes 22minutes to update.. wtf is that with AVR Firmwares. My old Yamaha also always took centuried to update...

ok, so i found the problem. its the "Deep Color Output". if i turn this off, i can enable game mode. What should i do?

_RT_

Because if you have a good sound system or dedicated theater, optical doesn't cut it. I am currently doing the optical to receiver route, but if I had the pro in my home theater, optical is a no no.

Why is the question?
I know HDMI is "better."
I know I'm making a compromise by using optical.

But I don't know what that compromise means. And it seems that it depends on the tv, the optical out jack, the cable, the receiver, the wind temp, phase of the moon and the president.

Ah well.

laxu

Thanks Quick Mustard and Steiner84 for the model info! Seems the 65" model is currently on sale too. Tempting to pick it up...

I need to read more of this thread.

Steiner84

well, with turned off deep color, I enabled game mode, switched deep color back on and it stays in game mode...
and now i can turn it on and off even with deep color enabled.. weird. whatever..

but really, why is the game mode setting not input signal specific, like every other picture setting? do we really have to manually switch it on and off everytime i switch between tv and ps4? wth samsung?

but really, why is the game mode setting not input signal specific, like every other picture setting? do we really have to manually switch it on and off everytime i switch between tv and ps4? wth samsung?

Have you disabled apply setting for all sources option in menu ?

So I bought my 4K ready receiver in 2014, hoping one day I will buy 4K TV and I won't have to replace it.

Yesterday I got my TV, and when I connect my Xbox directly, it does 4k. But when I pass it through the receiver. Its only 1080p.

Here is the receiver Pioneer VSX-823
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-823-K

fuck man. Am I missing something here? god damn it. I don't want to spend another 500 to replace my receiver :(

What i understand about pass through is the signal goes to the tv without the avr beeing on. Maybe try that. Usually there is only one or two inputs (hdcp 2.2) who are able to do 4k. Idk if im right.

newsguy

Why is the question?
I know HDMI is "better."
I know I'm making a compromise by using optical.

But I don't know what that compromise means. And it seems that it depends on the tv, the optical out jack, the cable, the receiver, the wind temp, phase of the moon and the president.

Ah well.

The short answer, full uncompressed sound via HDMI. if you have a small system or soundbar, it's probably not going to matter.

Can you do 4 way picture by picture on this type of TV? I'm just wondering if it can be used as four displays. I know on my 4K monitor I can hook up two PS4s and have them display on the same screen at 1080p side-by-side. It's theoretically handy and 4 way picture by picture could make a really interesting split-screen option, provided you owned four consoles.

Native on non HDR delivers highly over saturated colors. It looks like a cartoon.

Quick Mustard don't use native on non-HDR.

Just saw this and Native is a lot more colourful.
Auto just seems to add a washed out type effect to it.
Is this what people mean by Native being oversaturated?

It does for movies and tv, no doubt about it. I prefer it for games and animation though.

Yea, I mean I've got Uncharted 4 on at the moment in HDR so switching between the two does fuck all, but when its not in HDR, I think I prefer Native to Auto.
Might have to try a few more games to be sure though.

So, my HDR settings to make sure I'm getting the most out of this are:

UHD Color Mode on HDMI 1
Backlight set to 20
Contrast set to 100
Smart LED set to High
Colour Space is on Auto

Dynamic Contrast set to... well, fucked if I know. Gonna fuck about with this option as I play as reading the first three pages of this thread is a mine field for what is best.

OSHAN

Yea, I mean I've got Uncharted 4 on at the moment in HDR so switching between the two does fuck all, but when its not in HDR, I think I prefer Native to Auto.
Might have to try a few more games to be sure though.

I have it on for games regardless if it is HDR or not. I haven't encountered any games where I thought the colors looked oversaturated. You switch to TV or movies or whatever, and it looks way off.

I have it on for games regardless if it is HDR or not. I haven't encountered any games where I thought the colors looked oversaturated. You switch to TV or movies or whatever, and it looks way off.

Yea, I think thats how I'll treat it as well to be honest.

Has anyone recorded gameplay whilst in HDR mode?

My recordings seem to come out... somewhat colourful to put it lightly.

Uncharted 4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqkdeuKEdbk&feature=youtu.be

Infamous: First Light:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m8-xfDmS8A&feature=youtu.be

They just seem, over saturated? Is that the word I'm looking for?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Just started using it and one weird issue is the tv seems to randomly auto dim even though I have energy saver features turned off. Any ideas on that?
It did this for me when I first bought it (for the initial set up) but then suddenly stopped. I don't know why or how though.

So, does this TV worth the upgrade aside from the 4K?
I mean, Does the HDR output has the "WOW" effect?

Its hard to say for me at the moment.
The TV itself is absolutely amazing and I can see a clear difference with the HDR mode, but I cant decide if its exactly how I like it.
Personally I think its down to me watching uncalibrated TV's all my life, so to suddenly have one that I'm going to get calibrated and the correct settings, makes it seem washed out and slightly yellow.

I'm sure I'll get there.
I hea the Disney WoW blu Ray is the best calibration tool, so I'm looking for that at the moment.

SeanR1221

Ok yeah after playing for a bit, setting everything on the PS4 to auto (and the black levels to auto on the tv) is definitely the way to go.

Blown away by this picture and the pro.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Ok yeah after playing for a bit, setting everything on the PS4 to auto (and the black levels to auto on the tv) is definitely the way to go.

Blown away by this picture and the pro.
You don't have occasional issues with washed out image or crushed blacks?

Seems like it varies by game for me. Don't know if I could set it and forget it... I'm always tempted to tinker.

Anyone else here plugged their PC straight into their KS8000? When I do it via a Denon AVR X 2200W the TV always sees it as a PC input and refuses to give me Game Mode at 60hz/60fps. But it does work at 50hz/50fps.
When I get home I'll plug my PC straight into the TV, but I don't understand how the TV knows it's a PC unless the PC is telling it. And why should Game Mode be greyed out at 60hz? Pretty sure it's not the amp as it has true HDMI pass through and doesn't interfere with the video signal. Anyway, anyone else plugged their PC in?

Anyone else here plugged their PC straight into their KS8000? When I do it via a Denon AVR X 2200W the TV always sees it as a PC input and refuses to give me Game Mode at 60hz/60fps. But it does work at 50hz/50fps.
When I get home I'll plug my PC straight into the TV, but I don't understand how the TV knows it's a PC unless the PC is telling it. And why should Game Mode be greyed out at 60hz? Pretty sure it's not the amp as it has true HDMI pass through and doesn't interfere with the video signal. Anyway, anyone else plugged their PC in?

You can change the input type to Blu-ray player or game console so you can get the additional picture settings like game mode.

coopolon

I've read through this whole thread and it just makes me want to return the tv. It's super confusing that they fucked up hdr in game mode and that they are changing settings with new firmware so they mean the exact opposite.

I'm not sure I have even seen anything in hdr yet. Apparently daredevil season 2 doesn't have it (which is good because I was really disappointed thinking it did.) I tried ratchet and clank and turned up backlight to 20 but wasn't all that impressed.

I guess I need to leave things in movie mode for awhile so I can see if I can even tell when hdr is on.

Theman2k

So is it wrong to assume the KS8000 isn't worth the upgrade?
I see a lot of negative posts about HDR, which the KS8000 should be doing best.

Also the lack of positive "wow HDR is amazing" replies is a let down.

DjRalford

The only pain is having to manually set the backlight and smart LED settings when using HDR, otherwise it's a night a day difference on a properly setup / calibrated TV.

Veitsev

I've read through this whole thread and it just makes me want to return the tv. It's super confusing that they fucked up hdr in game mode and that they are changing settings with new firmware so they mean the exact opposite.

I'm not sure I have even seen anything in hdr yet. Apparently daredevil season 2 doesn't have it (which is good because I was really disappointed thinking it did.) I tried ratchet and clank and turned up backlight to 20 but wasn't all that impressed.

I guess I need to leave things in movie mode for awhile so I can see if I can even tell when hdr is on.

The TV should tell you when HDR content is on in the top left corner. It should automatically switch to max backlight and some other settings. If its not you need to enable hdmi uhd color for the hdmi input you are using.

Veitsev

The TV is worth it. The issue is the lack of HDR content. It never really hurts to wait if you are happy with your current 1080p set.

DjRalford

The TV should tell you when HDR content is on in the top left corner. It should automatically switch to max backlight and some other settings. If its not you need to enable hdmi uhd color for the hdmi input you are using.

It doesant switch settings in game mode though, you need to do it manually.

You can change the input type to Blu-ray player or game console so you can get the additional picture settings like game mode.
Yeah, sorry I should have said that I knew about the work around. But the TV doesn't remember. If my PC is on when I turn my TV on it goes straight back to PC Input even though I changed it to Games Console and renamed it. And I still don't know why 50hz is okay but 60hz isn't.

coopolon

Ok, I tried Marco Polo and see the backlight change. Also Marco Polo looks amazing.

But it's not notifying me of anything, it's just changing the settings?

Now to see if I can figure out the ps4 settings.

coopolon

Ok, I've now had HDR work for both TV and games and it's awesome.

I'm still confused about the game settings though and I changed a bunch of stuff and am not sure what was right.

I am on build 1142. The website says latest is 1142.1. Is this actually a different version or is .1 just the first version of 1142? Should I upgrade?

PS4 settings: should it be 2160p RGB or YUV420?
Edit: Ok, read the other thread. Is definitely YUV420 due to bandwidth limitations if you also want HDR10.
Edit 2: actually, this should be left in auto right? That way it uses YUV420 for HDR and RGB for non-HDR?

RGB set to Full correct?

TV Settings:
Game mode (I tried movie mode, it does auto detect hdr but the latency is SOOOO bad)

For HDR games: Set backlight to 20, color to Native.
For non-HDR games: set baklight to 4 (depending on room lighting), color to auto?

Is backlight and color the only two things that need to be changed between hdr and non-hdr?

SeanR1221

You don't have occasional issues with washed out image or crushed blacks?

Seems like it varies by game for me. Don't know if I could set it and forget it... I'm always tempted to tinker.

I was before fiddling around with everything.

But now with everything on auto it looks great IMO

Filth

I have my cable connected to hdmi 1 and my ps4pro connected to hdmi 2. Does this matter at all for hdr?

Top Bottom