• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

Heel

Those are the new top line sets that replace the KS series?

No, QLED is the new high end.

content_small_tvsa4.jpg

content_small_tvsa5.jpg

content_small_tvsa3.jpg

http://www.dday.it/redazione/22318/tv-samsung-2017

Have you changed the HDMI CEC settings on the Switch? I believe it's under TV Settings and says "Match TV Power State" or something like that. I switched mine to OFF last night and haven't been having the issue anymore. Hopefully that holds up.

Did what you suggested and so far so good..seems to have resolved the issue for now..its not always constantly though, sometimes it can go hours without switching, sometimes it happens within minutes but so far so good
Edit: spoke too soon it just happened again

bubumiao

So MU's are like SUHD or ? They're being marketed as premium UHD. Is QLED better than quantum dot or the same thing? Or 2017 Q stands for something else? I'm confused by all the different models now.

Heel

I would wait for MU8000 reviews to come through before deciding. It's possible it could end up being worth the difference, depending on the person. I guess we'll find out.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
So MU's are like SUHD or ? They're being marketed as premium UHD. Is QLED better than quantum dot or the same thing? Or 2017 Q stands for something else? I'm confused by all the different models now.

It's just marketing.

MU8000 is the successor to the KS8000. In fact, judging by the specs and it's appearance, it's probably the same damn TV with a new label. More than likely, it uses quantum dot technology but Samsung won't say as it might take some of the shine off their QLED "premium" line.

Heel

I noticed that the software UI on the new line-up is slightly tweaked. If I find out they fixed any of these software bugs from the 2016 TVs, I'm prepared to stage a small riot.

The ps4 and the ps4 pro are both 8bit hdr.

In ffxv, run around a grassy area on a sunny day in game for a minute. Then go into the menu ffxv menu and turn hdr off. The game looks very bland without HDR. You will see the difference

Do you have a source for that? The reason I think PlayStation 4 Pro does 10 bit HDR is because its HDMI is 2.0 which support 10 bit colour. The original PlayStation 4 and the Slim HDMI is 1.4 which does not support 10 bit HDR.

I'll try that in Final Fantasy XV, thanks. I heard Resident Evil 7 demo have HDR support, is it any good to test the HDR implementation?

Hey I just recently started having an issue running 1440p on pc, the screen is super small. This never happened before the most recent firmware/Gpu drivers (not sure which is the culprit). I went into the nvidia settings and set scaling on and it seemed to fix it for the desktop, but in game at 1440p the image is still small in the middle of the screen. Anybody having this/have a solution?

Edit: After setting the scaling in the nvidia control panel to full screen and trying another game, the issue seems to be fixed. When I switch to Mass effect andromeda, it reverts back to a small screen in the center- could the problem have to do with HDR on PC?

Rbk_3

I would wait for MU8000 reviews to come through before deciding. It's possible it could end up being worth the difference, depending on the person. I guess we'll find out.

I don't know. Rtings said to get the KS8000 over the Q7, and the MU is a lower model

I am sure this has been asked before in this thread at some point, but I've been playing on this tv with my PS4 Pro, but want to know what everyone's opinion on using it as a 4k monitor to play some PC Games? I have a 1080/6700k. Just looking to see if its worth it. I have a 34 inch 1440p/100hz/G-Sync monitor, but the bigger screen on the wall is nice.

Just looking to see if anyone has some opinions on it.

To be on topic, this thread made using my PS4 Pro so much better.

GReeeeN

Question about connecting a PC up and using HDR,

Im looking at running ME:A in HDR on this TV, what is the best setting in NVIDIA control pannel for both IQ and Input lag?

If I run my PC > TV at RGB full in game mode, am I losing much IQ much when enabling HDR?,

I've also noticed that 4:2:0 works in Game mode, is this setting a better choice over RGB Full?

Basically, what settings should I be using when outputting HDR to my TV when keeping the TV in Game Mode?

GReeeeN

are there any solutions to the judder on this display?

trying to play mass effect and its hitting around 70fps in 4K, although the TVs judder is driving me insane!!

philm87

are there any solutions to the judder on this display?

trying to play mass effect and its hitting around 70fps in 4K, although the TVs judder is driving me insane!!

Don't get any judder myself. Are you in game mode?

If you're not in game mode make sure Auto motion plus is turned off.

Jake2by4

Anynet + is kinda messed up for me. It stopped working with my ps4 pro in rest mode. It used to turn off my TV when it went into rest mode, now it doesn't anymore

El Txou

Hi, I got the KS8500 since it was at a very good price since the Q were announced, and I am very happy with it. But it has a small lightbleed on the bottom left, only noticeable on dark screens. Is this normal? Should I exchange it? What worries me is that I go through the hassle of exchanging only to have the same or worse issue with the next one.

philm87

Hi, I got the KS8500 since it was at a very good price since the Q were announced, and I am very happy with it. But it has a small lightbleed on the bottom left, only noticeable on dark screens. Is this normal? Should I exchange it? What worries me is that I go through the hassle of exchanging only to have the same or worse issue with the next one.

I think it's normal on edge-lit to be able to see the backlight a bit if it's turned up high, i think it's the severity of it that suggests if it's a fault or not. I'm guessing it only shows when there's something on the screen and not just a completely black screen?

I notice it mainly when a PS4 game is loading up and it has a black background with white text for example.

Belker

I've found that putting a light behind the TV and playing with the lights down helps with one's perception of light beed. But if you can live with it and that's the only issue, then holding on might be wise. I had a dream about swapping TVs and it didn't go well.

Should I exchange it? What worries me is that I go through the hassle of exchanging only to have the same or worse issue with the next one.

You're right. It's 100% pure gambling. There's a 50/50 chance the next one may be worse or have some other flaw that annoys you more. If you're willing and able to exchange over and over again, it's possible to find a near perfect set, but I've learned over the years with LCD TVs that at some point you have to accept that there are going to be flaws. The question is whether those flaws bother you enough to gamble again. If it does, then I would certainly roll the dice. If it's very minor, then it may not be worth it.

are you viewing the tv from a direct straight angle btw?

philm87

Use the Youtube app and go to a backlight bleed test video, it will have a pure black background. If there's like in the corner here them there's a problem with the tv.

El Txou

I think it's normal on edge-lit to be able to see the backlight a bit if it's turned up high, i think it's the severity of it that suggests if it's a fault or not. I'm guessing it only shows when there's something on the screen and not just a completely black screen?

I notice it mainly when a PS4 game is loading up and it has a black background with white text for example.

To be honest it is only visible in left corner and it looks as if that area is more illuminated. I suppose that is indeed because of the edge lit. Honestly is not to serious, it is barely noticeable during movies, but sometimes you can see that white cloud in that corner. As you said though, it only shows when there is something on screen on a mainly black image. Thanks for the feedback!

I've found that putting a light behind the TV and playing with the lights down helps with one's perception of light beed. But if you can live with it and that's the only issue, then holding on might be wise. I had a dream about swapping TVs and it didn't go well.
Belker, I think you are right I will hold on to it, I know people that have exchanged the TV because of this issue only for the new one to be worse. I rather live with it.

are you viewing the tv from a direct straight angle btw?

Yes, front and center.

Use the Youtube app and go to a backlight bleed test video, it will have a pure black background. If there's like in the corner here them there's a problem with the tv.

I did this and it was pitch black, only way of noticing it is when something is on screen and that corner is dark, and even then it is barely noticeable.

Cyriades

What's the difference with PC mode then?

PC-Mode saves separate settings for HDR.

PC mode also has 4:4:4. You can't have 4:4:4 and game mode together. This is the next best thing with the added 4:4:4 improvement.

In PC mode there's a very small increase in input lag 4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR 37.6ms

Game mode its 21.1ms

hesido

Thanks for all the great information, y'all.

Btw, I think there's one caveat when having the backlight on max, according to rtings.com:
Similar to the other KS* TVs, the KS8500 can produce very bright and saturated colors. Unfortunately when the backlight is on max for HDR it can't produce dark saturated colors.

The color volume coverage achievable on certain standards falls from 80% to 50%. I don't know if this is significant.

Are you guys still getting the PS4 Pro black screen w/audio dropping issue? I was hoping this would be taken care of with some update either on the PS4 or the KS800 but it's still happening at random. I can go for 12 hours straight without an issue but have it happen a couple of times within a 2 hour gaming session.

I know there's a fix but I think it entails dropping down to a lesser video format.

noomi

Hmmm can you use the HDMI4 (ARC) port for PS4?

I tried plugging my PS4 into HDMI4 port and got no video... I dont know much about ARC but was wondering if it was a faulty HDMI cable or you just can't use HDMI 4 (ARC) with the PS4.

Any input is appreciated :)

Aske

Are you guys still getting the PS4 Pro black screen w/audio dropping issue? I was hoping this would be taken care of with some update either on the PS4 or the KS800 but it's still happening at random. I can go for 12 hours straight without an issue but have it happen a couple of times within a 2 hour gaming session.

I know there's a fix but I think it entails dropping down to a lesser video format.

New HDMI cable. Monoprice Certified Premium will do it. Possibly more than one, and there's no guarantee the ones packed in with the PS4 don't need to be replaced.

Top Bottom