• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

philm87

On PS4 do we have a consensus on black levels? Auto, full or low?

I'd put PS4 on full and the TV on normal HDMI black level. That way you know you're not reducing the RGB range at all, and it won't have any negative impact. Doesn't make a difference for HDR content though.

Maximos

Neo Member
Also, for those that had the M series Vizio, how do they compare? I was debating back and forth between the 8500/8000 and the 70 inch Vizio M series

I actually own both of these, a 43" Vizio Series M that I use as a distant second monitor and a 65" Samsung KS8500 that I use for TV and most other consoles.

The Vizio is a solid TV, I believe the image quality is really nice for being on the lower end of 4K televisions when I bought it, but the KS8500 absolutely blows it out of the water. The KS8500 makes even normal 720p television shows look amazing to me, and I've never experienced that from a TV before. Of course, once you go into UHD/HDR territory, the gap gets significantly wider between the two.

I'm very happy with the Vizio for what I use it for, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Samsung.

Ensoul

Does anybody else have an issue where the sound keeps defaulting to the TV? Kind of annoying every time I turn the TV on I have to select the home theater.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So I have a bunch of smudges on my screen. probably the result of my toddler touching the screen. (i have the tv sitting on the floor in my man cave) I ignored them when i got them a while back because well, the tv is so bright they didnt show up at all unless it was turned off. but last night i decided to clean them with a cloth and they wouldnt go away. he must have touched the tv with filthy hands or something because it can tell i would have to scrap them off with a nail or something.

Any tips? can i use a wet cloth or some other solution that wont destroy my screen? i also lost the cleaning cloth that came with the tv so im using this soft t-shirt i have to clean lol. havent tried napkins.

So I have a bunch of smudges on my screen. probably the result of my toddler touching the screen. (i have the tv sitting on the floor in my man cave) I ignored them when i got them a while back because well, the tv is so bright they didnt show up at all unless it was turned off. but last night i decided to clean them with a cloth and they wouldnt go away. he must have touched the tv with filthy hands or something because it can tell i would have to scrap them off with a nail or something.

Any tips? can i use a wet cloth or some other solution that wont destroy my screen? i also lost the cleaning cloth that came with the tv so im using this soft t-shirt i have to clean lol. havent tried napkins.

Only use warm water and soft, fluffy microfiber towels. You'll destroy it using your shirt or napkins. Have 2 microfiber towels, one moist and the other dry. Use the moist one on the spots and then QUICKLY use the dry one in soft circular motion. Also, use a LED flashlight for seeing the smudges and the way you clean them.

Does anybody else have an issue where the sound keeps defaulting to the TV? Kind of annoying every time I turn the TV on I have to select the home theater.

Are you using ARC? If so, you'll have less issues if you just use an optical cable instead. It's the same sound quality either way.

Any tips? can i use a wet cloth or some other solution that wont destroy my screen?

I use the Monster Screen Cleaning kit and it works very well for removing my dog's occasional wet-nose smudges.

So now that I have my Switch, are fellow ks8000 owners enjoying the visuals more in TV or handheld? I haven't had a chance to try it in TV mode yet. Especially curious about Zelda specifically with the framerate patch.

So now that I have my Switch, are fellow ks8000 owners enjoying the visuals more in TV or handheld? I haven't had a chance to try it in TV mode yet. Especially curious about Zelda specifically with the framerate patch.
Definitely tv, although expect some hiccups and probable joycon weirdness. The patch helped quite a bit for me.

Definitely tv, although expect some hiccups and probable joycon weirdness. The patch helped quite a bit for me.
Thanks! I just gave it a try, I just got a screen protector which should make the dock usable. I'm trying to figure out if there's a solution that I can use as a temporary band aid fix for the input issue, maybe an hdmi splitter of some kind.

vpance

Amazon Video users, can anyone explain why I can no longer find UHD versions of certain titles? I was watching Man In The High Castle HDR a few days ago and now only the SDR version is showing. Also I watched a bit of Grand Tour, and while that I can find that in HDR, it won't let me rewatch episodes 1 and 2 for some reason. Dafuq? Are you only allowed to watch things once on AV?

Belker

Amazon Video users, can anyone explain why I can no longer find UHD versions of certain titles? I was watching Man In The High Castle HDR a few days ago and now only the SDR version is showing. Also I watched a bit of Grand Tour, and while that I can find that in HDR, it won't let me rewatch episodes 1 and 2 for some reason. Dafuq? Are you only allowed to watch things once on AV?

Have you looked for the UHD/HDR catalogue? When I search for a title I think it gives me the standard one. I have to scroll through all the categories to find the catch-all.

I don't believe there's a limit to how often you can watch things, but I don't know if you have Prime or not.

vpance

Have you looked for the UHD/HDR catalogue? When I search for a title I think it gives me the standard one. I have to scroll through all the categories to find the catch-all.

I don't believe there's a limit to how often you can watch things, but I don't know if you have Prime or not.

I'm a Prime member.

I used to have a UHD category but now that's gone. This Samsung app or Amazon is so screwy. Going to try reinstalling it.

philm87

Check in the corner of the title picture, it should say UHD. the HD and 4k versions are separate. Either set it on your watch list, or go to the tv>4K TV section.

Symphonia

Banned
I'm a Prime member.

I used to have a UHD category but now that's gone. This Samsung app or Amazon is so screwy. Going to try reinstalling it.
It's right there on the main menu for me as soon as the Amazon Video loads. I can access both films and TV through the main menu.

[Asmodean]

I think the picture is amazing with dynamic contrast on. AMAZING.

It varies wildly when it looks good, or terrible. The only thing I've found where I like it enough to keep it on, is for Bloodborne. Looks pretty good on low with that game imo. It can highlight a lot of the small environment details the game has.

Generally though, it just seems to skew the colors, and do some simple contrast curve.

You monster.

lol

kmfdmpig

Quick question for those who have this set.
I'm thinking about buying one soon and know that the image quality is quite high, particularly for the price.
I've read some people are frustrated with some settings not retaining and inputs changing when devices power on. Those don't sound like such a big deal to me, but I wanted to check and see how you felt.
All in all, if you could do it over would you still buy the same set?

Skulldead

The price difference is insane between US and Canada for that model. Can find it for 999$ USD for the 55 inch model in US.. In canada it's start at 1999$ CAN... this is ridiculous...

MazeHaze

Banned
Picked up a switch on sunday. I have it hooked up through a reveiver but so far haven't had it switch inputs even once when in sleep mode.

noomi

Really hoping that we will see some amazing sales on the 65 inch model this year (even if black friday).

By the there will be newer models, but I really love the ks8000... I want a second larger tv :p

kmfdmpig

Really hoping that we will see some amazing sales on the 65 inch model this year (even if black friday).

By the there will be newer models, but I really love the ks8000... I want a second larger tv :p

It seems like stock is getting low. You can get a refurbished 65 inch from Groupon for $999 or a new one from Costco for 1479, which are both decent deals. I suspect that they'll be out of stock before black friday, and the new similar model (the MU) is both more expensive and not meant to be as good.

If you ask me, Smart LED - Low is the future. I could deal with Smart LED - High's issues when displaying a white dot on a back screen, but I found it reduced the impact of scenes like this:

wp0b1a70e0.png

Low seems like a pretty good balance for the feature, even though it will always have trouble with situations where there is contrast vertically.

vpance

I jumped on the HDR dynamic contrast medium train and probably won't look back but for everything else I leave it off.

Yeah it looks fine on medium. Photo speak wise it's like it increased the exposure time is all. HDR with DC off is like you're wearing dark sunglasses all the time.

The price difference is insane between US and Canada for that model. Can find it for 999$ USD for the 55 inch model in US.. In canada it's start at 1999$ CAN... this is ridiculous...

Shop around at smaller retailers. Some places were selling the 55 for $1500 a few weeks back.

All in all, if you could do it over would you still buy the same set?

The only real problems I've seen personally are: Game Mode doesn't auto-adjust the backlight setting when entering/leaving HDR mode. It's annoying but it's no deal-killer. Also, the smart apps built-in to the TV are buggy, but again I've been able to work around this.

I'm still very glad I got this set. It's an amazing set for the money if you are a gamer and want the lowest input-lag with good PQ. I fully plan to upgrade to OLED at some point, hopefully after Freesync is implemented in the sets, and when I do I won't feel too bad because I only paid $999 for the KS8000. I can move this set to another room or sell it.

Picked up a switch on sunday. I have it hooked up through a reveiver but so far haven't had it switch inputs even once when in sleep mode.

I also run my Switch through a receiver and have never had the problem. I also turn off HDMI-CEC/HDMI Control/Anynet+ etc. on all my devices so that may play a part as well.

If you ask me, Smart LED - Low is the future.

That's where I keep it too. It helps when it needs to but it doesn't get distracting like High does.

kmfdmpig

The only real problems I've seen personally are: Game Mode doesn't auto-adjust the backlight setting when entering/leaving HDR mode. It's annoying but it's no deal-killer. Also, the smart apps built-in to the TV are buggy, but again I've been able to work around this.

I'm still very glad I got this set. It's an amazing set for the money if you are a gamer and want the lowest input-lag with good PQ. I fully plan to upgrade to OLED at some point, hopefully after Freesync is implemented in the sets, and when I do I won't feel too bad because I only paid $999 for the KS8000. I can move this set to another room or sell it.

Thanks! That's about what I was thinking. The smart-apps don't bother me as I'll use a Shield TV or Amazon Fire TV to handle those.

Thanks! That's about what I was thinking. The smart-apps don't bother me as I'll use a Shield TV or Amazon Fire TV to handle those.

Just keep in mind that if you use those devices for the apps you may miss out on the HDR goodness that this set provides since most other devices do NOT support it in their apps, including the HDR-capable Xbox One S and PS4 Pro. Since I want that HDR support in Netflix, Amazon, and Youtube I'm kind of stuck with the built-in stuff though I've been thinking about trying the Roku Premier+ which does support HDR apps, though it's not clear which ones.

If you ask me, Smart LED - Low is the future. I could deal with Smart LED - High's issues when displaying a white dot on a back screen, but I found it reduced the impact of scenes like this:

wp0b1a70e0.png

Low seems like a pretty good balance for the feature, even though it will always have trouble with situations where there is contrast vertically.

Would you still run Smart LED Low in HDR content? I used to run low but was told it needs to be high in HDR mode but I'm not sure I can really tell. It just always seemed better on low

mario_O

With the new Windows 10 update, when I boot my PC it detects Windows as HDR content. Wonder if we will start to see soon more HDR content for PC. Maybe this will make MPC-HC play HDR content.

With the new Windows 10 update, when I boot my PC it detects Windows as HDR content. Wonder if we will start to see soon more HDR content for PC. Maybe this will make MPC-HC play HDR content.

I rolled that update back because it broke HDR for Mass Effect. I like the idea of HDR on the desktop, so hopefully they sort that out.

Gojeran

Got my replacement TV and it seems ok for now. Brought my computer out into the living room and ran a few titles at 4k. It's amazing for sure but I already miss my 1440p g sync monitor. This afternoon however I'll get to see HDR for hr first time as my buddy loaned me his copy of Horizon. So for HDR back light at 20 and smart led at low or at high? I need to check my black level settings for the TV and PS4 as well.

Would you still run Smart LED Low in HDR content? I used to run low but was told it needs to be high in HDR mode but I'm not sure I can really tell. It just always seemed better on low

I turned off Smart LED completely. It was causing white text in games to appear as light gray in certain scenes, but not all scenes, which was super distracting to me. This was in both HDR and SDR games, especially noticeable when subtitles are turned on in-game.

vpance

I turned off Smart LED completely. It was causing white text in games to appear as light gray in certain scenes, but not all scenes, which was super distracting to me. This was in both HDR and SDR games, especially noticeable when subtitles are turned on in-game.

Without Smart LED on there is no HDR effect.

Unfortunately this set has very few dimming zones so you're gonna see those sorts of things when SL is on.

kmfdmpig

One final question - I just moved into a place with a cut out area for a TV that is 57.1 inches wide. The 65 inch version of this is 56.9 inches wide, which would be cutting it awfully close.
Do you think that would work or would it be safer to stick with the 60 inch model?
and
Would the sound be muffled with no space or does it come from the rear anyway and therefore wouldn't matter much?

Lima

So do we know if this TV will support HDMI 2.1 and freesync?

Parts of 2.1 spec could be firmware updated on 2.0 devices. The extent remains to be seen. Then there is the One Connect box route and the evolution kit which Samsung has done in the past where you basically buy a new box with HDMI 2.1. The evolution kit is not cheap (around 350) but beats having to buy a new TV I guess if you like your current one.

Top Bottom