• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

bubumiao

Can I update the firmware just by having the ethernet cord plugged into it? I mean do I have to download it on my PC and then put it on a USB stick?

do I have to download it on my PC and then put it on a USB stick?

You can update directly over the Internet but please be aware that it sometimes takes several days for the latest build to show up using the online update feature. If you're impatient and want the latest firmware right away you will need to use the site and USB method.

Robiin

Does anyone else have a problem with really short battery life on their remotes? I don't even use mine when I watch TV so it's mainly switching sources a few times per day and - the remote dies after less than a week! Sometimes it lasts a day or two only, sometimes more.

Edit: apparently this time it wasn't the batteries, it was just unresponsive. Annoying.

Focal

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone else have a problem with really short battery life on their remotes? I don't even use mine when I watch TV so it's mainly switching sources a few times per day and - the remote dies after less than a week! Sometimes it lasts a day or two only, sometimes more.

Edit: apparently this time it wasn't the batteries, it was just unresponsive. Annoying.

Same here! But this just happen! Had the TV since the launch day, and no worries. Suddenly, eating batteries. I have been using low quality for a while, after this new issues I changed to high quality(Duracel), and problem seems gone(for now)!

Super Strange!

Robiin

Same here! But this just happen! Had the TV since the launch day, and no worries. Suddenly, eating batteries. I have been using low quality for a while, after this new issues I changed to high quality(Duracel), and problem seems gone(for now)!

Super Strange!
I don't know when it started for me but it wasn't like this when it was new. Might be because of the quality of my batteries...

Pantz

KS8500 (US) on best buy deal of the day today. Wish i could upgrade from my KS8000 49" but now's not a good time.

fabrizio5680

Neo Member
My TV KS7000 55" has been on 1160 firmware for a couple of months, I noticed the website has 1168.2 and before that 1165, but my tv still says no update available. Does the USB method work if I I have a mac, is it just a matter of uploading the exe file onto my USB stick?

philm87

My TV KS7000 55" has been on 1160 firmware for a couple of months, I noticed the website has 1168.2 and before that 1165, but my tv still says no update available. Does the USB method work if I I have a mac, is it just a matter of uploading the exe file onto my USB stick?

Download the file and run it on your computer. It will ask you to choose a location to extract files to, choose the USB stick. Plug it in the TV and run it from the update section.

I noticed this TV support PiP (Picture-in-picture) feature. I have a PlayStation 4 and 3 connected to the TV and no broadcast. Is it possible to take an advantage of this feature if I could watch Netflix whilst playing video games? Or could I plug in an USB media and watch videos off it whilst playing?

laxu

I noticed this TV support PiP (Picture-in-picture) feature. I have a PlayStation 4 and 3 connected to the TV and no broadcast. Is it possible to take an advantage of this feature if I could watch Netflix whilst playing video games? Or could I plug in an USB media and watch videos off it whilst playing?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it only supports one HDMI and TV output in PiP unfortunately. I haven't tried it with the built-in apps though.

philm87

Finally after digging around forever i have found what i consider the best accurate settings. On my set they look noticeably better than the rtings settings which introduced a bit of blue hue to the blacks.These settings are from the user b_rad4 over at avs which he got his set professionally calibrated by an isf calibrator. Case in point these are the best settings you are going to get on this set besides of course getting a calibration done specifically on your set. I have to say the colors are much much better than my Panasonic GT50 plasma which has been calibrated, the ks8000 has a 10 point w/b control with cms for each color so it's understandable. The user also mentioned he has the AA02 panel (labeled on the back of the tv) so the settings might look even better if you have a matching panel. Also an interesting note from him:

A 10% windows pattern but it is still amazing it peaked at 1602 nits!

Anyways here are the settings. This is for SDR content obviously.
Backlight 11 (set for a room with bias lights on)
Brightness 45
Contrast 84
Colour 49
Smart LED Low
All processing stuff off

Color Space

Red
Red 28
Green 8
Blue 4

Green
Red 28
Green 50
Blue 10

Blue
Red 2
Green 7
Blue 40

Yellow
Red 50
Green 47
Blue 7

Cyan
Red 24
Green 46
Blue 48

Magenta
Red 34
Green 14
Blue 45

2 point
R offset -2
G offset 0
B offset -4
R gain 0
G gain 0
B gain 7

10 point

10%

20%

30%

40%

50%

60%

70%

80%

For HDR gaming you have to give up the 10 point W/B settings which really sucks but the benefit to game mode over movie mode from what i have seen are: slightly better motion resolution, much faster response time, and higher peak brightness which i believe is the most important. Game mode is noticeably brighter than movie mode in HDR is this because of disabled effects/processing so they can increase the brightness? I would like to explore more of the Service Menu to see if you can calibrate the 10 point w/b for gaming and then this tv would be more than perfect! I have already managed to activate 2 other settings CAL-DAY and CAL-NIGHT from the service mode.

Here are my settings for HDR Game mode:

Backlight 20
Brightness 41 < lower than default because whites will clip majorly at 45+100 contrast
Contrast 98 < calibrated using FFXV brightness setting in HDR mode, any higher and the cactuar will start to clip to where you can't see it.
Colour 49
Smart LED High
All processing stuff off
Gamma: +1

Color Space

Red
Red 28
Green 8
Blue 4

Green
Red 28
Green 50
Blue 10

Blue
Red 2
Green 7
Blue 40

Yellow
Red 50
Green 47
Blue 7

Cyan
Red 24
Green 46
Blue 48

Magenta
Red 34
Green 14
Blue 45

2 point
R offset -2
G offset 0
B offset -4
R gain 0
G gain 0
B gain 7

Looks almost the same as movie mode, maybe a tad more saturated because of higher brightness. I wouldn't use movie mode for gaming, it is too dim for me even at max lol.

I also made this little comparison with horizon just taking a picture from my iphone comparing sdr vs hdr, of course pictures can't fully capture the immense brightness HDR brings but you can see the added depth easily. Before when i was using rtings settings i would always play in SDR because the image looked washed out in HDR. With these settings it's the opposite, SDR looks bad now.
comparison47ktw.gif

Very much loving these settings, the colour space settings seem pretty much spot on for me, was finding auto quite washed out and native over-saturated. Works well for all content. I leave the HDR settings on all the time for game mode, apart from turning the backlight down for SDR, and still looks great for SDR.

Thanks for posting them!

Grinchy

Banned
I built a little Kodi box with a Raspberry Pi and connected it to this TV. The TV somehow just recognized it and made the remote immediately useable with the Pi without me setting anything up. Why is this TV so smart?

Lima

I built a little Kodi box with a Raspberry Pi and connected it to this TV. The TV somehow just recognized it and made the remote immediately useable with the Pi without me setting anything up. Why is this TV so smart?

Both your TV and the Pi support HDMI-CEC. A feature that has been part of HDMI pretty since the start.
Is this your first hdtv?

Both your TV and the Pi support HDMI-CEC. A feature that has been part of HDMI pretty since the start.
Is this your first hdtv?

I've had HDTV's before and i never had one that recognized my shit without me having to either choose it from a list or manually inputting it.

Grinchy

Banned
Is this your first hdtv?

So your TV remote just automatically works with all your HDMI-CEC devices? I've never personally seen that before. You sure are a snarky little one, aren't you?

Rbk_3

Finally after digging around forever i have found what i consider the best accurate settings. On my set they look noticeably better than the rtings settings which introduced a bit of blue hue to the blacks.These settings are from the user b_rad4 over at avs which he got his set professionally calibrated by an isf calibrator. Case in point these are the best settings you are going to get on this set besides of course getting a calibration done specifically on your set. I have to say the colors are much much better than my Panasonic GT50 plasma which has been calibrated, the ks8000 has a 10 point w/b control with cms for each color so it's understandable. The user also mentioned he has the AA02 panel (labeled on the back of the tv) so the settings might look even better if you have a matching panel. Also an interesting note from him:

A 10% windows pattern but it is still amazing it peaked at 1602 nits!

Anyways here are the settings. This is for SDR content obviously.

For HDR gaming you have to give up the 10 point W/B settings which really sucks but the benefit to game mode over movie mode from what i have seen are: slightly better motion resolution, much faster response time, and higher peak brightness which i believe is the most important. Game mode is noticeably brighter than movie mode in HDR is this because of disabled effects/processing so they can increase the brightness? I would like to explore more of the Service Menu to see if you can calibrate the 10 point w/b for gaming and then this tv would be more than perfect! I have already managed to activate 2 other settings CAL-DAY and CAL-NIGHT from the service mode.

Here are my settings for HDR Game mode:

Looks almost the same as movie mode, maybe a tad more saturated because of higher brightness. I wouldn't use movie mode for gaming, it is too dim for me even at max lol.

I also made this little comparison with horizon just taking a picture from my iphone comparing sdr vs hdr, of course pictures can't fully capture the immense brightness HDR brings but you can see the added depth easily. Before when i was using rtings settings i would always play in SDR because the image looked washed out in HDR. With these settings it's the opposite, SDR looks bad now.
comparison47ktw.gif

That would be me over at AVS :)
Glad they are working out well for you.

Lima

So your TV remote just automatically works with all your HDMI-CEC devices? I've never personally seen that before. You sure are a snarky little one, aren't you?

As long as CEC is activated on the TV yes? I mean what kind of question is that. It's a feature that either gets turned on or off during the initial handshake depending on the EDID data of the device.

Can it control ps4?
I thiiiiiiink I had this enabled, but then the PS4 would turn on when I scrolled past its input when trying to select something else.

Or that's just a fever dream that I remembered.

Also HDMI-CEC is new to me and pure magic. Love that I currently don't have to touch my receiver's remote.

kmfdmpig

I just joined the club and got a 65 inch KS8000. I haven't really changed many settings yet, but it's gorgeous out of the box. Can't wait to tweak it and put it through its paces.

bubumiao

I just joined the club and got a 65 inch KS8000. I haven't really changed many settings yet, but it's gorgeous out of the box. Can't wait to tweak it and put it through its paces.
If you have a ps4 pro, boot up Horizon Zero Dawn and be prepared to drool.

So from what I've read, the majority of setting recommendations say to leave dynamic contrast off, but sometimes the image just looks so dark while it is off. Like running around in a forest at night in Horizon Zero Dawn is so dark it is hard to see, so I decided to at least set the dynamic contrast on low and that helped. Don't know if that's something I just need to get used to or if I should be cranking up the brightness if I have dynamic contrast off.

On another matter, I'm afraid my TV wifi might be broken, whenever I try and stream something the TV loses its wifi connection after 10 - 30 minutes and I have to plug the TV out and back in to get the connection back. I've tried different DNS settings and even another router and the same thing always happens. I had hoped it was a software problem that would be fixed with a firmware update, but it certainty is looking like a hardware problem. Anyone else experience wifi issues like this they were able to fix?

chaosaeon

So from what I've read, the majority of setting recommendations say to leave dynamic contrast off, but sometimes the image just looks so dark while it is off. Like running around in a forest at night in Horizon Zero Dawn is so dark it is hard to see, so I decided to at least set the dynamic contrast on low and that helped. Don't know if that's something I just need to get used to or if I should be cranking up the brightness if I have dynamic contrast off.

I've been messing with my settings once I started Horizon too and I've got DC on medium. I have a load of other different changes I haven't seen get posted much either that I'm just eyeballing too, like gamma at 3 instead of 0. I also tweaked the color space and white balance too into values that are different from what everyone's been saying so I might have to post my settings and see what everyone thinks. I wouldnt crank up your brightness (on this TV it mostly just greys the black levels). And keep in mind everybody's set has some differences too and color space settings from one person to another might be too red for someone who has a warmer set of the panel lottery.

Are people interesting in giving any random people's unprofessional settings a go to see how they stack up in here ?

Horizon with HDR and no dynamic contrast is too dark at night, I agree. Setting it to low helps a lot already. Maybe I'll try to up the gamma later instead, not sure.

philm87

I've been messing with my settings once I started Horizon too and I've got DC on medium. I have a load of other different changes I haven't seen get posted much either that I'm just eyeballing too, like gamma at 3 instead of 0. I also tweaked the color space and white balance too into values that are different from what everyone's been saying so I might have to post my settings and see what everyone thinks. I wouldnt crank up your brightness (on this TV it mostly just greys the black levels). And keep in mind everybody's set has some differences too and color space settings from one person to another might be too red for someone who has a warmer set of the panel lottery.

Are people interesting in giving any random people's unprofessional settings a go to see how they stack up in here ?

Check out the settings above that Wishmaster92 posted (originally from Rbk_3), was on page 141 before. I've been drooling at the picture on my TV ever since. It's gone from brilliant to unbelievably brilliant with these settings. I think it's worth trying a variety of colour space and white balance settings that people have posted, I was lucky that these ones worked for me, but you're bound to find some colour space settings that work better than Auto or Native if you keep trying.

This video is great for HDR calibration if you view on the tv's youtube app https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEtUF7RT3pw

I couldn't get Fifa 17 looking as good as I wanted, to the point where I turned Dynamic Contrast to high when I played it. Now with the new colour space settings it looks absolutely jaw droppingly gorgeous, it looks so much like real life. Same goes for other games that have improved massively that I've tried such as Battlefield 1, Skyrim, and Dishonored 2. Sold HZD, but watched a 4k hdr vid with the new settings and it was awesome.

Cheers again Rbk and Wishmaster.

Belker

I'm a bit confused about those settings.

I leave the TV in game mode all the time, since it's on warm 2 and doesn't look too much different from movie mode and I'll often watch netflix etc on the console.

If I use those settings, will games look fantastic but everything else will seem very bright?

I've only got one HDR capable console (PS4) and there aren't many HDR games out there.

I don't seem to have the option of Game Mode. It shows up in settings, but it's greyed out and says I can't switch to it. Anyone know what the deal is?

Symphonia

Banned
Very much loving these settings, the colour space settings seem pretty much spot on for me, was finding auto quite washed out and native over-saturated. Works well for all content. I leave the HDR settings on all the time for game mode, apart from turning the backlight down for SDR, and still looks great for SDR.

Thanks for posting them!
Will these settings work for video content too?

Garwoofoo

Neo Member

I'm coming to the conclusion that there are different ways of implementing HDR, and I'm just going to have to get used to different settings for different sources.

Netflix HDR, for instance, looks awful at anything other than DC Medium. It's dingy, it's dark, it looks like there's a grey filter on the screen, but DC Medium lifts the whole image and makes it look "normal".

Amazon Prime HDR and Blu-Ray HDR look best with DC set to low. With DC off, it's a bit gloomy - daylight scenes look like early evening. With DC medium, it's a bit over-saturated. Low is perfect.

Games vary wildly. Some games (like The Last Guardian) dim the screen when HDR is activated so need DC Medium to bring them up to the correct brightness but others (like FFXV or The Witness) don't dim at all when HDR is activated so only look correct with DC Off. (FFXV with any form of DC is absolutely eye-wateringly bright). I haven't played Horizon Zero Dawn so can't comment on that.

I'm sure it's just because it's a new technology and there's no commonly accepted way of implementing this stuff. Just be prepared to play around with settings for now and go with whatever looks best for the individual thing you are trying to watch.

vpance

Right now HDR movies across the board also have an issue with being dim, in order to preserve the detail in the brightest of scenes. When dynamic HDR like Dolby Vision and HDR10+ get in use it won't be an issue anymore.

So until then you can use DC like a poor man's DV :) It works very well up to medium anyways.

philm87

Will these settings work for video content too?

Yeah, for everything. With the white balance and colour spacing is hit and miss whether it will work with your panel. The colour setting may vary slightly too, I have mine set 52, whereas those settings say 49.

The main improvements I've had from using these settings, are a big improvement in contrast, and also reds and greens are balanced much better, as well as all colours looking better overall. I look at the picture now and everything just seems spot on. love it.

WorldHero

I'm coming to the conclusion that there are different ways of implementing HDR, and I'm just going to have to get used to different settings for different sources.

Netflix HDR, for instance, looks awful at anything other than DC Medium. It's dingy, it's dark, it looks like there's a grey filter on the screen, but DC Medium lifts the whole image and makes it look "normal".

Amazon Prime HDR and Blu-Ray HDR look best with DC set to low. With DC off, it's a bit gloomy - daylight scenes look like early evening. With DC medium, it's a bit over-saturated. Low is perfect.

Games vary wildly. Some games (like The Last Guardian) dim the screen when HDR is activated so need DC Medium to bring them up to the correct brightness but others (like FFXV or The Witness) don't dim at all when HDR is activated so only look correct with DC Off. (FFXV with any form of DC is absolutely eye-wateringly bright). I haven't played Horizon Zero Dawn so can't comment on that.

I'm sure it's just because it's a new technology and there's no commonly accepted way of implementing this stuff. Just be prepared to play around with settings for now and go with whatever looks best for the individual thing you are trying to watch.

The DC definitely depends on the game and the time of day. If I play Horizon at night, I leave the DC off and toggle the HDR brightness at 50%. During the day, I have to toggle DC to low/medium and increase HDR to 60%.

NBA2K17 doesn't have a HDR toggle, so I usually leave the DC on high but that's the only game I do it for.

I've gone back on forth on this issue several times. I personally think it comes down to the game and the lighting in your play space.

Belker

I think the colour separation might be to do with the tv trying to resolve detail.

In Ghost Recon Wildlands you can give your character a ghillie suit. Some have lots of very fine strands of material. You can try different sets in the character screen,

I'm now noticing that the shadows cast by those strands are red and blue, but that separation doesn't happen elsewhere on the character model.

But I've never noticed this before, only now after fiddling with the expert colour settings. But the rgb thing is happening even after I set it all to default.

Go below it to special modes or something like that.

It's inside the menu right below the one where it's greyed out.

Finally got home to check this. That's the menu it's grayed out in.

Picture > Special Viewing Mode > (Sports Mode | Game Mode | HDR+ Mode)

Game Mode in that last section is grayed out. Clicking on it says "This function is not available".

ss_lemonade

You an literally watch detail disappear when you turn dynamic contrast on. I don't recommend it for anything HDR.
I only really see a change in detail being resolved when going to high DC. Low and medium just seem to make things a bit brighter.

Finally got home to check this. That's the menu it's grayed out in.

Picture > Special Viewing Mode > (Sports Mode | Game Mode | HDR+ Mode)

Game Mode in that last section is grayed out. Clicking on it says "This function is not available".
Sounds like your TV is defaulting your source input's device type to something that doesn't support game mode (PC device type for example). Try editing the input, changing it to Game Console and see if that allows you to choose game mode

Top Bottom