• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

Thought I'd share this with the thread. I picked this up from Amazon this weekend and want to give it a recommendation if you're looking to pair some non-bluetooth headphones to the KS8000's bluetooth audio:

So the audio delay isn't too bad with this? Because this looks like a great way to get around having to run an extension cable from my Switch to my headphones. Thanks!

SkylineRKR

I got lucky and bought new 55" for $900 on eBay a few months back. Prices have spiked as they get more scarce. The cheapest I have seen recently is around $1300 so 2K for 65" sounds about right.

Yes. They are discontinued and 2017 equivalent is somehow worse.

The MU launched at a lower price than the KS did. They're cheaper models with worse parts. I think Samsung wants to push their QLED as their new premium product and MU for the mainstream.

The salesman wanted to sell me an MU and said KS is outdated shit no one wants. I went somewhere else and grabbed a EU ver. of KS9000. They're awesome and on the way out.

Heel

So the audio delay isn't too bad with this? Because this looks like a great way to get around having to run an extension cable from my Switch to my headphones. Thanks!

The audio delay seems perfect for everything that isn't under Game Mode if you set your Audio Delay to "0" on the TV. If you're using Game Mode, I would say it's present but not to the point that it's completely unusable. Personally only using it for Plex, Netflix, etc. on the TV's apps, which it seems to work perfectly for.

For better delay, you'd have to use two of the units in tandem and bypass the KS8000's bluetooth to enable "aptX low latency", which the TV does not have. Even then, I've never used it, so not sure if that would solve it.

But coincidentally after posting this last night, I saw this thing go on clearance on Slickdeals and ordered one:

https://slickdeals.net/f/10414672-b...e-amplifier-and-usb-dac-25-shipped-via-amazon

41ZeD-v%2BJgL.jpg

It appears to be the same idea (bluetooth receiver mode only), but can be used as a DAC/amp for a more quality pair of headphones.

Phat 2000 Dola

Neo Member
For some reason when I hit the INFO button on the remote, it doesn't show the resolution/HDR overlay etc telling me what he source is. Nothing happens when I press it. Do others get that also?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Does anyone have a Samsung extended warranty for their set? My bedroom TV (a shitty little Vizio) just died after six months and now I'm paranoid about how much it would suck if my KS8000 died – both because of how big it is and how much I paid for it. I'd like it to last as long as possible. I've had it for ten months now, and I'm assuming I can purchase the extended warranty as long as I'm within the one-year standard terms.

bubumiao

Does anyone have a Samsung extended warranty for their set? My bedroom TV (a shitty little Vizio) just died after six months and now I'm paranoid about how much it would suck if my KS8000 died – both because of how big it is and how much I paid for it. I'd like it to last as long as possible. I've had it for ten months now, and I'm assuming I can purchase the extended warranty as long as I'm within the one-year standard terms.

I think their warranties looked too expensive when I looked at them on their site. I got some protection from square trade. All you need is to dig out your receipt or take a screenshot of your receipt if you bought it online. I think I got 4 years for around $180.

nikos

Which wall mount are you guys using? I've been using the same mount since around 2008. I just moved and want to get something that rotates so that I can make sure it's perfectly level.

saltyramen

My workaround is I hit HOME on the remote, and then select the input I'm already on. The notification with resolution/HDR pops up again for me.
Smaaaart. I have a question -- on playing regular Blu Rays on XB1S should it display 1080p when I click R3 to show info? Or 4K because of the upscale.. because it shows 1080

Symphonia

Banned
Smaaaart. I have a question -- on playing regular Blu Rays on XB1S should it display 1080p when I click R3 to show info? Or 4K because of the upscale.. because it shows 1080
It will only display 4K if the source is 4K. Upscale resolution doesn’t really count as 4K.

Yoday

It will always show 4K because the XBOS outputs a 4K signal no matter what resolution the content is playing at so long as you have 4K selected in the video settings. It will take whatever the content is, upscale it to 4K, and then send the final 4K output to the TV. All the TV knows is that it's receiving a 4K image.

saltyramen

Is there any way to make DVDs look good on this TV? Like if I change the resolution of my PS4 Pro or XB1S to 720p will it not make the upscale as bad? Because upscaled to 4K it's unwatchable

Blu-rays on the other hand look incredible. Couldn't be happier. They almost look better than my Creed in 4K. For some reason there is an extreme amount of noise/grain on the walls in the background from the very first scene. I don't know how to get rid of that. I turned on the noise reduction feature and it helped but it's still noticeable. Did anyone else have that problem?

It's just annoying how when 8K TVs come out my BR movies are gonna be obsolete. It's annoying having to buy the same movie with the new format.

Yoday

Is there any way to make DVDs look good on this TV? Like if I change the resolution of my PS4 Pro or XB1S to 720p will it not make the upscale as bad? Because upscaled to 4K it's unwatchable

Blu-rays on the other hand look incredible. Couldn't be happier. They almost look better than my Creed in 4K. For some reason there is an extreme amount of noise/grain on the walls in the background from the very first scene. I don't know how to get rid of that. I turned on the noise reduction feature and it helped but it's still noticeable. Did anyone else have that problem?

It's just annoying how when 8K TVs come out my BR movies are gonna be obsolete. It's annoying having to buy the same movie with the new format.
Your TV is going to display a 4K image no matter what resolution the source is. If your player doesn't upscale to 4K before sending the image to your TV, then your TV will do the upscaling instead. The only way to get around this that I'm aware of is through GPU settings on a PC that allow you to maintain res and aspect ratio. Meaning you could display something on the TV in 480p, but it would be a tiny image surrounded by black borders that make up the rest of the 4K image.

Belker

I've watched a few DVDs on this and have watched some SD TV streamed on Netflix, too. Both looked fine to me.

Are you watching old films that have been transferred to DVD? I wonder if the quality wasn't great to begin with and if the TV is highlighting that issue. I've had that problem.

Gorger

I've been having this TV for a while now and my biggest gripe with it is that I can't get the quality to look clear or pristine enough during some movies and TV-shows. So I wonder if I can get some guidance on how to fix it.

For example I am running Netflix via Playstation Pro with the 4k subscription. I am trying to watch season three of Better Call Saul (4k supported), and what I am struggling with is this annoying static noise that keeps popping up subtlety on the screen during some scenes; especially dark scenes that are focused on characters. The picture just isn't clear in the way I'd like it to be, and it's just uncomfortable and distracting to look at. I have done pretty much anything I can think of when it comes to settings, and I just can't quite get rid of it. But it's weird because during some scenes it looks crystal clear and I have also tried to watch 4k demo previews on Youtube and those looks absolutely breathtaking, so I don't know what the problem is.

So what I am wondering is could it be bad HDMI? Have I connected the TV wrong somehow? Should I buy one of those expensive HDMI's that are made for 4k? Does anyone else have this problem?

Also what are your settings when watching 4k content on Netflix via the Playstation?

I have no problems with video games. RE7 and Horizon looked incredible. It's just movies and TV-shows. Also my internet is very fast and when I click R3 it says the tv-show is running in 2048.

Thanks in advance. I really want to love my TV :(

Belker

I've been having this TV for a while now and my biggest gripe with it is that I can't get the quality to look clear or pristine enough during some movies and TV-shows. So I wonder if I can get some guidance on how to fix it.

Have you tried watching Netflix using the TV's own app? What does that look like?

Man the crave TV app on samsung is god damn awful. Ill start watching something in my living room, go to bed and turn on my other samsung tv and the shit freezes and doesnt sync to where i was last. Complete garbage.

saltyramen

DVDs look pretty good on mine. May just need to play with the settings.
What are your settings?

I've watched a few DVDs on this and have watched some SD TV streamed on Netflix, too. Both looked fine to me.

Are you watching old films that have been transferred to DVD? I wonder if the quality wasn't great to begin with and if the TV is highlighting that issue. I've had that problem.
Was trying to watch The Dark Knight and I Love You Man and it's absolutely terrible lol. Wouldn't TDK be fine?

For example I am running Netflix via Playstation Pro with the 4k subscription. I am trying to watch season three of Better Call Saul (4k supported), and what I am struggling with is this annoying static noise that keeps popping up subtlety on the screen during some scenes; especially dark scenes that are focused on characters. The picture just isn't clear in the way I'd like it to be, and it's just uncomfortable and distracting to look at. I have done pretty much anything I can think of when it comes to settings, and I just can't quite get rid of it. But it's weird because during some scenes it looks crystal clear and I have also tried to watch 4k demo previews on Youtube and those looks absolutely breathtaking, so I don't know what the problem is.

So what I am wondering is could it be bad HDMI? Have I connected the TV wrong somehow? Should I buy one of those expensive HDMI's that are made for 4k? Does anyone else have this problem? (
Same about static noise and shit in the background dude. I don't think it's the HDMI cable. Have you tried turning Digital Clean View on? It helps a little bit. Not super but it does something. Post your settings and we can see if something is wrong..

philm87

What are your settings?

It's 49" so maybe doesn't look as bad as bigger TVs, but here's the basic settings I use.

Backlight 8
Brightness 45
Contrast 84
Sharpness 40 (Sometimes drop this depending on the DVD)
Colour 52
Clean View Off
Digital Clean View Off (sometimes benefits to have this on with DVD)
Colour Space Custom (but set this to Auto if you don't know the values)
Auto motion plus: Custom with both sliders at 5

I use a PS4 Pro for mine so don't know what effect the upscaling has.

What are your settings?

Was trying to watch The Dark Knight and I Love You Man and it's absolutely terrible lol. Wouldn't TDK be fine?

Same about static noise and shit in the background dude. I don't think it's the HDMI cable. Have you tried turning Digital Clean View on? It helps a little bit. Not super but it does something. Post your settings and we can see if something is wrong..

uhhhhhhhhh
are you.... maybe.... talking about film grain?
Are you sure that isn't just part of the actual show?

Belker

What are your settings?

Dark scenes will often have *some* noise in them, but that's because of the camera used to film and not the TV.

If you say it's not happening in games, then presumably it's not the panel or even the HDMI cable.

And if other people are experiencing something similar, but lessen in it the TV's settings, that suggests the same thing.

Could it just be you're looking at a much larger TV? If I try to spot the detail in a large painting and then a miniature, I'll have different experiences.

Anyone having stutter with the xbox one s uhd movies and the ks8000? Seems like it happens every 15 minutes or so, it's like the audio keeps going but the picture freezes.

So what I am wondering is could it be bad HDMI? Have I connected the TV wrong somehow? Should I buy one of those expensive HDMI's that are made for 4k? Does anyone else have this problem?

Also what are your settings when watching 4k content on Netflix via the Playstation?

I have no problems with video games. RE7 and Horizon looked incredible. It's just movies and TV-shows. Also my internet is very fast and when I click R3 it says the tv-show is running in 2048.

Sorry for the double post. you're getting this in steaming? I think it's just artifacts. We see them when we stream hbo now, it's a bit distracting and only shows up in dark scenes. I don't think there's anything you can do about it since the TV is 4k and the source isn't, and streaming a 1080p signal still looks like shit compared to a 1080p bluray.

Gorger

What are your settings?

Yes, I have literally fiddled with the settings for hours doing countless of various settings throughout the weeks I have owned the TV to see if I can decrease the static. It has come to a point where it's starting to ruin my TV-time because when those darker scenes starts kicking in and the static noise pops up I just get annoyed and start fiddling with the controller adjusting the values to see if anything can be improved.

Again with Better Call Saul... most of the lighter scenes, especially outside during the day is just beautiful, crystal clear and pristine quality, but then when it gets darker they immediately start showing up ruining the scene.

I just can't see how there is a magic TV setting I have tuned wrong which causes the problem. To me it really looks like a hardware issue, bad HDMI or the TV just not working as intended. But it's very hard to pinpoint the root of the problem.

I just wonder if anyone else have tried out Netflix via PS4 and have the same problem as me, or if the fault is on my end.

I have tried all the settings in the in OP's main page and done my own variations

Gorger

Sorry for the double post. you're getting this in steaming? I think it's just artifacts. We see them when we stream hbo now, it's a bit distracting and only shows up in dark scenes. I don't think there's anything you can do about it since the TV is 4k and the source isn't, and streaming a 1080p signal still looks like shit compared to a 1080p bluray.

Yes, I am streaming through Netflix. So you're saying the noise is intended? That is very unfortunate cause it honestly looked better on my half a decade 55'' TV.

Streaming 4k content, I expected much better quality than this...

saltyramen

uhhhhhhhhh
are you.... maybe.... talking about film grain?
Are you sure that isn't just part of the actual show?

https://imgur.com/gallery/sf2xS

Looks like that

Dark scenes will often have *some* noise in them, but that's because of the camera used to film and not the TV.

If you say it's not happening in games, then presumably it's not the panel or even the HDMI cable.

And if other people are experiencing something similar, but lessen in it the TV's settings, that suggests the same thing.

Could it just be you're looking at a much larger TV? If I try to spot the detail in a large painting and then a miniature, I'll have different experiences.

Using a 49"

MazeHaze

Banned
Yes, I am streaming through Netflix. So you're saying the noise is intended? That is very unfortunate cause it honestly looked better on my half a decade 55'' TV.

Streaming 4k content, I expected much better quality than this...

It's hit or miss man. The things is, some shows/movies have intentional film grain, some don't. I think the problem is that film grain looks fine on 1080p stuff, but once you have the clarity that 4k offers, it looks fucking ridiculous, like a bad emulator filter or something. You'll have some shows and movies that have no film grain and look fucking pristine, whereas other stuff like the Netflix Marvel shows and what not have absolutely horrendous and over the top film grain added to them. The force awakens has film grain and it looks like dog shit on a 4k screen imo.

The other thing is, streaming stuff is super compressed, so in near-black detail, you'll see a bit of pixelation sometimes depending on the source material. Game of Thrones on the built in HBO app was fucking TERRIBLE for the longest time, but I watch it through the AMAZON app right now and it looks like they've improved it. The thing that helps me with the near black stuff is bumping the brightness down to around 37 or so, I keep backlight at 5-10 depending on the content, usually lock it at 8. Having the brightness down keeps the black inky as fuck without crushing anything. This season of GoT has looked pretty amazing on my KS8000 (which was stolen from me and I have to wait until next friday for my replacement to arrive! fuck burglars!)

Edit: and have you tried Netflix through the TV app? No reason to use the PS4pro app imo, last I heard it didn't even support HDR. The built in Netflix app on the TV is great.

I like film grain honestly. :V

That being said, from your imgur link, being a photo of the tv makes it hard to tell if it's film grain or compression artifacts.

Film grain should manifest as a pretty fine sort of static look, but compression artifacts will look more like chunky splotches.

MazeHaze

Banned

That being said, from your imgur link, being a photo of the tv makes it hard to tell if it's film grain or compression artifacts.

Film grain should manifest as a pretty fine sort of static look, but compression artifacts will look more like chunky splotches.

Definitely looks like artifacts.. I wonder what the sharpness setting is at? That adds a nasty graininess to the picture at anything above 10 imo.

edit: oh, just realized that is the poster talking about DVDS.\

Yeah man, that shit is gonna be blurry. You're upscaling a 480p signal to 4k, which is like 25 times as many pixels. The source material is poor in detail, by upscaling it each pixel from the dvd is stretched over a fuck ton of pixels on the TV. It's gonna look like junk. I would honestly just get the blu-rays of stuff you want to watch, 1080p upscaled to 4k looks fantastic on this TV, 1080p blu rays looks better than the 4k netflix stuff.

saltyramen

Definitely looks like artifacts.. I wonder what the sharpness setting is at? That adds a nasty graininess to the picture at anything above 10 imo.

edit: oh, just realized that is the poster talking about DVDS.

Yeah man, that shit is gonna be blurry. You're upscaling a 480p signal to 4k, which is like 25 times as many pixels. The source material is poor in detail, by upscaling it each pixel from the dvd is stretched over a fuck ton of pixels on the TV. It's gonna look like junk. I would honestly just get the blu-rays of stuff you want to watch, 1080p upscaled to 4k looks fantastic on this TV, 1080p blu rays looks better than the 4k netflix stuff.

Sharpness at 0 and that is Creed on 4K UHD. Xbox One S. The DVD talk was just me questioning how to make em look good. I also had the noise problem in picture

Ah okay it's static bot splotch. I can live with it if it's intentional.

That's looks like a kind of posterisation, I get that on Skin tones on TV content when I have Game-mode turned on on my plasma.

I have to switched it to true cinema mode to get rid of it.
Yeah I'm on Movie Mode so idk anymore.

Appreciate the help from everyone though!

tbh some stuff that is put out at 4K looks like trash because of the post effects noise they add. Jessica Jones on Netflix is absolutely dreadful for this.

You can't really see it as much at 1080p.

Yoday

I think most of the problem is just the quality of the 4K content. Some Netflix content looks great in 4K, while other shows look like a grainy mess. I suppose some of it comes down to how the creators choose to film something, and 4K just shows off imperfections really well.

Belker

Using a 49"

That's a big TV. You'll definitely notice more because of the size and, as others have said, it's more noticeable on this sort of TV.

Also, MasterHaze's comment on burglars has reminded me I need to throw my KS7/8000 box out. I'm only going to put it out the night before the binmen come and then I'll fold it and tape it up so nobody going past can easily tell it's for a TV.

Gorger

I think most of the problem is just the quality of the 4K content. Some Netflix content looks great in 4K, while other shows look like a grainy mess. I suppose some of it comes down to how the creators choose to film something, and 4K just shows off imperfections really well.

I have tested my old standard 1080p 55'' which does not have any static during those scenes, and honestly it looks better on it. I also tested out Rogue One on Netflix and it suffered with the same static problem. I am sure it's not supposed to look like that, it gets really bad and distracting during some scenes.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I have tested my old standard 1080p 55'' which does not have any static during those scenes, and honestly it looks better on it. I also tested out Rogue One on Netflix and it suffered with the same static problem. I am sure it's not supposed to look like that, it gets really bad and distracting during some scenes.

Now this is really weird. Have you turned down the brightness on TV some?

Gorger

Now this is really weird. Have you turned down the brightness on TV some?

Like I said I have fiddled with the settings for hours done every possible thing I can think of taking the brightness down, up... etc. Of course if I make it super dark it gets less noticeable, but so does the picture quality cause you can hardly see anything on the screen, but still 4k quality video tv-shows should not look like you're watching something from a CCTV camera. I am going to try out some premium 4k HDMI cables and if that doesn't work then I might just return the whole thing :(

Gorger

It's hit or miss man. The things is, some shows/movies have intentional film grain, some don't. I think the problem is that film grain looks fine on 1080p stuff, but once you have the clarity that 4k offers, it looks fucking ridiculous, like a bad emulator filter or something. You'll have some shows and movies that have no film grain and look fucking pristine, whereas other stuff like the Netflix Marvel shows and what not have absolutely horrendous and over the top film grain added to them. The force awakens has film grain and it looks like dog shit on a 4k screen imo.

The other thing is, streaming stuff is super compressed, so in near-black detail, you'll see a bit of pixelation sometimes depending on the source material. Game of Thrones on the built in HBO app was fucking TERRIBLE for the longest time, but I watch it through the AMAZON app right now and it looks like they've improved it. The thing that helps me with the near black stuff is bumping the brightness down to around 37 or so, I keep backlight at 5-10 depending on the content, usually lock it at 8. Having the brightness down keeps the black inky as fuck without crushing anything. This season of GoT has looked pretty amazing on my KS8000 (which was stolen from me and I have to wait until next friday for my replacement to arrive! fuck burglars!)

Edit: and have you tried Netflix through the TV app? No reason to use the PS4pro app imo, last I heard it didn't even support HDR. The built in Netflix app on the TV is great.

Actually watching Game of Thrones through the HBO app is horrendous, but you can get a 4,5gb versions of the internet which is like night and day difference and gives you pirstine beautiful quality even on my TV. It's mind boggling to me that official HBO apps is so poor with quality, makes it really hard for me to justify my subscription.

I am going to try out some premium 4k HDMI cables and if that doesn't work then I might just return the whole thing :(

I don't think that's going to help but good luck. What brand was your old TV? Some sets such as Sony have special processing settings to remove noise, macro-blocking, and also smooth color gradations on compressed content. I don't think the KS8000 is adding anything that isn't in the source material, but it doesn't do much picture processing to alleviate compression issues either. The KS8000's strength was always gaming and low input-lag. If optimal video-watching is the more important goal then it's probably not the right set. If you can afford OLED then that's the way to go, of course. If not, then there's usually a compromise to be made somewhere, but now there are more options than last year, such as that TCL people are talking about.

Gorger

I don't think that's going to help but good luck. What brand was your old TV? Some sets such as Sony have special processing settings to remove noise, macro-blocking, and also smooth color gradations on compressed content. I don't think the KS8000 is adding anything that isn't in the source material, but it doesn't do much picture processing to alleviate compression issues either. The KS8000's strength was always gaming and low input-lag. If optimal video-watching is the more important goal then it's probably not the right set. If you can afford OLED then that's the way to go, of course. If not, then there's usually a compromise to be made somewhere, but now there are more options than last year, such as that TCL people are talking about.

My old TV is a Samsung I can't remember which type, but it was a standard 55'' Full HD I bought more than five years ago.

So far I've had the best results using these settings:

Backlight: 8
Brightness: 38
Contrast: 85
Sharpness: 20
Color: 65

Noise reduction: Auto
Auto Motion: Off
Smart Led: Low
Black Level: Normal
Dynamic Contrast: Low
Color Tone: Standard
Color Space: Auto

Not perfect, but definitely improved. And I do use this TV a lot for gaming for sure, but I also expected the quality would look better than CCTV footage. Rtings rated it 8.0-8.2 on Video and TV, so I know it should look better than what mine currently is.

Gorger

Btw guys, according to this video a new patch was recently released which I think fixed some of the problems with the quality. Also take a look at the guys settings, it's way off RTings and what is usually recommended by people in this thread. Anyone tried similar settings, what results did you get?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3nlE6_lP0Q

saltyramen

Btw guys, according to this video a new patch was recently released which I think fixed some of the problems with the quality. Also take a look at the guys settings, it's way off RTings and what is usually recommended by people in this thread. Anyone tried similar settings, what results did you get?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3nlE6_lP0Q
Just off first glance his blacks look crushed.. he's running on wrong color space.. color at 85 is going to hella saturate. All the way around no.

Top Bottom