• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

Belker

I did some quick tests.

It looks like it's to do with the anti-judder setting - the one that makes the screen look smooth like a soap opera When it's on - whether auto or custom - you can see the artifacts in varying severity. You can't see them when it's off.

No other graphics setting to do with quality / blur etc. seems to cause them.

This is in Movie mode using the TV's own Amazon app. I wasn't able to test Game mode.

We need other people to test. We need the same source material.

I used The Grand Tour, episode 11. Use the TV's own Amazon app. Around the 12/13 minute mark an American drives a white Fiat Abarth around a race track. Use that. White car, grey day, dark and wet road. Makes artifacts easy to spot.

philm87

I did some quick tests.

It looks like it's to do with the anti-judder setting - the one that makes the screen look smooth like a soap opera When it's on - whether auto or custom - you can see the artifacts in varying severity. You can't see them when it's off.

This is in Movie mode using the TV's own Amazon app. I wasn't able to test Game mode.

I used The Grand Tour, episode 11. Use the TV's own Amazon app. Around the 12/13 minute mark an American drives a white Fiat Abarth around a race track. Use that. White car, grey day, dark and wet road. Makes artifacts easy to spot.

You can't use automotion in game mode.

There's always been artifacts appearing if you have the automotion set too high,

There's always been artifacts appearing if you have the automotion set too high,

This is true. I've seen them myself on earlier firmwares. It may be worse now, I don't know. I don't use automotion/motion plus at all now so I might as well update if there are other improvements.

Belker

I think this is something quite different.

First, my anti-judder has always been set on 1. That's the lowest it can be, without being off.

Second, these aren't artifacts in the sense there's a mild pixelation or fuzzing of the image.

It reminded me of a a film where a spaceship enters a planet's atmosphere - and you see a shield form around it, deflecting heat - and the time travel scenes in Back to the Future, where the electricity is sparking in front of the car.

On The Grand Tour there are quite big blocks of colour and pixelation that flash on and off as the car turns round corners. The blocks are the same colour as the car and line up with the car's dimensions.

philm87

I think this is something quite different.

First, my anti-judder has always been set on 1. That's the lowest it can be, without being off.

Second, these aren't artifacts in the sense there's a mild pixelation or fuzzing of the image.

It reminded me of a a film where a spaceship enters a planet's atmosphere - and you see a shield form around it, deflecting heat - and the time travel scenes in Back to the Future, where the electricity is sparking in front of the car.

On The Grand Tour there are quite big blocks of colour and pixelation that flash on and off as the car turns round corners. The blocks are the same colour as the car and line up with the car's dimensions.

When i was watching football and had it set too high, I used to get pixelisation like that. It would usually be the ball as that's moving the quickest, almost like ghosting. Seems strange that it happens when it's set that low though. I have mine on custom with both bars at 5 and don't get it usually now.

Aske

Thanks, I'll try it out tomorrow. I hope the optical cable i bought will be long enough.

Worth noting that I don't get any audio lag with my set up. I have an optical out from the TV feeding 5.1 to my trusty old Logitech ZX 5500s. No receiver. Hope you have the same luck as me and that the issue gets fixed quickly for everyone who's suffering, because audio lag might be the most irritating A/V problem ever.

Heel

I did some quick tests.

So you don't have this problem when you turn off Auto Motion Plus? I believe SamsungNow always used it mildly as well, so I guess that could explain it.

Never used it myself. Noticed some pixelation around objects when testing it with Planet Earth II.

If the firmware does in fact reduce some judder without turning on Auto Motion Plus, I'll be happy with it.

De_Marco

Thanks for the testing Belker,

I was very reluctant to test the new firmware because of this. But the 1170s made the picture look worse and I already had a lot of black/grey banding so that dark movies looked like an oil painting to a degree.

1180.5 improved everything again for my KS9000, so I didn´t want to change a somewhat running system.

But I am glad I did. This new firmware is an overall improvement for me, it´s like the guy in the video says, I had to turn gamma down and the colours to 50 again, the picture looks really better now, somwhat sharper, black is darker, etc, which is maybe placebo, but I am happy.

Biggest change for me was another small decrease when it comes to the banding. It´s still there on all sources (apart from gaming), but a lot harder to notice. Tested it with Blair Witch and I couldn´t believe, that it´s watchable now.
Good work Samsung.

I also don´t have the artifacts, tested it with the Top Gear scene with Auto Motion Plus on (10 /3).

So far the best firmware for me.

So, I guess I am "ok" now with the TV, gaming was great from day one, but the massive banding in dark movies almost ruined it. Now I hope the TV will last another 2-3 years until I make the jump to oled.

Doombear

Does anyone have comcast know how to get the screen to be the right size on the screen. When the comcast guy hooked it up (in April) it seemed to fit the screen. Then shortly after it was cutting off a lot of the sides of the screen. I don't watch broadcast tv on it, but my parents do and they don't seem to notice how fucked up it looks.

It could actually be in the menus on the cable box itself. Not sure if they have X1 or something else. In X1 at least... go to the Options 'gear' > Device Settings > Video Display > and look at your settings there (both Zoom and Video Output Resolution. Perhaps your problem, and hopefully solution, lies there.

1180.5 improved everything again for my KS9000, so I didn´t want to change a somewhat running system.

But I am glad I did. This new firmware is an overall improvement for me, it´s like the guy in the video says, I had to turn gamma down and the colours to 50 again, the picture looks really better now, somwhat sharper, black is darker, etc, which is maybe placebo, but I am happy.

Biggest change for me was another small decrease when it comes to the banding. It´s still there on all sources (apart from gaming), but a lot harder to notice. Tested it with Blair Witch and I couldn´t believe, that it´s watchable now.
Good work Samsung.

Which firmware are you on then De Marco? I also have the KS900 but I am currently on 1180 it seems. Oddly enough, I have noticed something like the mentioned artifacting but only ever while playing Pyre. Seems to happen very rarely, and only while moving from map to map in the vehicle. Only pops up around the vehicle itself for a split second. I took a picture, I'll see if I can find it. So yeah, just curious what firmware you are on (and I guess what region to as I am in the US)

Belker

So you don't have this problem when you turn off Auto Motion Plus? I believe SamsungNow always used it mildly as well, so I guess that could explain it.

Never used it myself. Noticed some pixelation around objects when testing it with Planet Earth II.

If the firmware does in fact reduce some judder without turning on Auto Motion Plus, I'll be happy with it.

I can't remember what the item is in the menu, but I used various combinations of the settings put on auto, both on, one on, one off, set to either 1 or 10, with the LED auto-motion feature activated and with some other menu item on or off.

It's been so long since I watched without the anti-judder set to 1 that I can't remember how bad the TV was originally.

But all this was only in movie mode and only with that episode of the Grand Tour. Whole thing probably took 15 minutes, so it wasn't hugely in-depth. It might happen again in some other context.

DeMarco,

Thanks, hope it was useful in making your decision. If it's working for you without issue, that's great.

I wonder if this is somehow related to the red/blue banding, since some of us have it and some don't.

Heel

Does anyone have comcast know how to get the screen to be the right size on the screen. When the comcast guy hooked it up (in April) it seemed to fit the screen. Then shortly after it was cutting off a lot of the sides of the screen. I don't watch broadcast tv on it, but my parents do and they don't seem to notice how fucked up it looks.

It could actually be in the menus on the cable box itself. Not sure if they have X1 or something else. In X1 at least... go to the Options 'gear' > Device Settings > Video Display > and look at your settings there (both Zoom and Video Output Resolution. Perhaps your problem, and hopefully solution, lies there.

On Samsung: Settings > Picture > Picture Size> 16:9 Standard, Fit to Screen "On"

I didn't even realize I had this wrong since I've had the TV and was losing some resolution on Xfinity. It might've reset itself at some point, I guess?

Worth checking for anyone who has Comcast.

Heel

I can't remember what the item is in the menu, but I used various combinations of the settings put on auto, both on, one on, one off, set to either 1 or 10, with the LED auto-motion feature activated and with some other menu item on or off.

It's been so long since I watched without the anti-judder set to 1 that I can't remember how bad the TV was originally.

But all this was only in movie mode and only with that episode of the Grand Tour. Whole thing probably took 15 minutes, so it wasn't hugely in-depth. It might happen again in some other context.

Maybe turn it off and see how you like it now. Apparently it's improved on the latest firmware, but can't test myself.

Belker

Maybe turn it off and see how you like it now. Apparently it's improved on the latest firmware, but can't test myself.

I'm not turning auto motion back on again until its fixed (which it won't be). The artifacts are distracting enough that I'd rather go without the single-point increase in smoothing, even though I preferred how it looked.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Presumably they haven't fixed the brightness/HDR/gaming memory in this FW?

Symphonia

Banned
I just put Grand Tour to the test, and the picture is perfect. I have judder reduction set to 2. The Morocco episode, in particular, looks beautiful.

buenoblue

On my Xbox one s upscaled to 4k my hdmi black level is greyed out. I think it's locked to low. I want to use normal any suggestions. In game mode btw.

Belker

I just put Grand Tour to the test, and the picture is perfect. I have judder reduction set to 2. The Morocco episode, in particular, looks beautiful.

Did you try it with the GT episode mentioned earlier? That's the one I, arbitrarily, picked to test mine.

Anyway, it's been established that not all of the KS sets seem to have this issue, so you're fortunate. Maybe most people won't see it and I'm unlucky.

For me, I've not seen a significant difference in how things look after the update, apart from the new glitch.

ss_lemonade

Does this TV have overscan or something with sources below 1080p? I noticed that the lower in resolution I go, the more I see sides off the screen being cut.

Ogawa-san

My PC is incredibly dark (Game mode, not PC mode) now, even with 20 backlight. This is unplayable. What is happening?
Stupid suggestions, but just in case... Are HDMI black levels mismatched between PC and TV? Is eco mode on and toning the blacklight down by itself?

Does this TV have overscan or something with sources below 1080p? I noticed that the lower in resolution I go, the more I see sides off the screen being cut.
I still have my PS3 hooked to it, nothing is cut at 720p with that "fit to screen" option on TV set to "on".

Gowans

I'm having this weird issue where my tv won't turn off when I hit power off on the smart remote.

I have to keep unplugging it.

Yoday

My PC is incredibly dark (Game mode, not PC mode) now, even with 20 backlight. This is unplayable. What is happening?
Make sure HDR is turned off in the Win10 display settings. The current implementation of HDR support in Win10 dims the image no matter the content.

Symphonia

Banned
I'm having this weird issue where my tv won't turn off when I hit power off on the smart remote.

I have to keep unplugging it.
I’ve been having similar issues with the standard remote. I switched to the smart remote and it works fine. Could it be your batteries?

MilkyJoe

Set my TV up today, used the DF instructions to set up for SDR input for OG xbone. FH3 looks unbelievable. Blizzard mountain at night is jaw dropping. Those roadside lamps and your headlights reflecting in the snow... Jinkies

MrNineties

Anyone know if I could get a replacement remote from a 2017 Q Series and have it work on a 2016 KS8000? Or even just a replacement for existing? I can't find them anywhere.

Yoday

Holy shit! On a whim I tested out using DTS over ARC in game mode instead of Dolby Digital, and the audio delay is gone! If there is a delay, it's substantially lower than it is using Dolby Digital.

If you're using Bitstream over ARC in game mode and not getting a delay, are you using DTS or DD?

philm87

On my Xbox one s upscaled to 4k my hdmi black level is greyed out. I think it's locked to low. I want to use normal any suggestions. In game mode btw.

If it's greyed out then it's probably not being used? Will only be used if the Xbox is outputting RGB as it doesn't effect YUV.

Holy shit! On a whim I tested out using DTS over ARC in game mode instead of Dolby Digital, and the audio delay is gone! If there is a delay, it's substantially lower than it is using Dolby Digital.

If you're using Bitstream over ARC in game mode and not getting a delay, are you using DTS or DD?
Is this after the update?

oRuin

Anyone here using the TV speakers notice fluctuations in sound? I'm talking quick fluctuations of volume changes. It's so distracting. All my sound options are default, no auto volume or anything.
Watching Game of Thrones, the sound is up and down depends on dialog and background noise.
Have done a full factory reset and still it comes back. Im seriously considering returning it.
If anyone could test out the TVs speakers with the latest firmware I'd much appreciate it.

Holy shit it worked!

Anyone knows if there's a downside to switching to DTS?

De_Marco

Can´t recommend the new 1201 update enough for that TV. After some days and new settings the picture looks a lot better. It´s a miracle to me, that a simple firmware can do that to the picture quality (and make it worse too).

PS: I was one of the unfortunate souls who completeley ruined their first set with a recommended LCD cleaning fluid, I received a new set after some weeks and didn´t touch any fluid until today, when my dog decided to lick the screen and the microfibre cloth didn´t do anything.

This time I used the Monster cleaning fluid and it´s perfect for this fragile screen.

Gorger

Can´t recommend the new 1201 update enough for that TV. After some days and new settings the picture looks a lot better. It´s a miracle to me, that a simple firmware can do that to the picture quality (and make it worse too).

PS: I was one of the unfortunate souls who completeley ruined their first set with a recommended LCD cleaning fluid, I received a new set after some weeks and didn´t touch any fluid until today, when my dog decided to lick the screen and the microfibre cloth didn´t do anything.

This time I used the Monster cleaning fluid and it´s perfect for this fragile screen.

What is your (expert) settings?

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
When I plugged in an Xbox to the tv, it recognized it and turned the HDMI input into a Xbox logo. That didn't happen to Switch when I plugged it in. Is that something they will patch in? I just want a consistent look with my hdmi input labels :(

De_Marco

How can you even tell there's a difference in picture quality? I sure can't.

Can´t tell how often I have watched the HDR channel and the 4k demo vids there and the picture is really "better" now, not a placebo. I trust my eyes :) There are many details from the top of my head like the sky from a Sony HDR vid or the ocean / fire effects which are "crisper" now.

In my case it´s really like the guy in the youtube vid tells when he shows the comparisons between the firmwares.

- I had massive black/grey banding and it´s *almost* gone, biggest improvement for me.
- Colours "pop" more, had to reduce gamma from 1 to 0 and reduce colour to 50 again (was 55)
- They somehow improved the Judder, not visible anymore (tested with Grand Tour, Episode 1, when people clapping), Sports and Judder tests on youtube.
- No more youtube bugs (videos "stacked" on top of each other)
- Light management is better, changing from light to dark is somewhat quicker, decrease in light bleeding.
- Bars are blacker when watching movies, looks perfect now

I use settings similar to the OP, no Dynamic Contrast or artificial stuff, but sharpness to 20 and I use the 10 point and colour settings from AVS (some user here posted them and I slightly altered them).

MrNineties

Use the buttons on the tv.

Is this some kind of joke? To my knowledge there aren't any.

Also on an unrelated note I have a Canadian model KS8000 from this year. I assume it's the "2016" model. UN65KS8000FXZC. There was only the small smart remote in the box,or was there? Comments here are making me think I threw out another larger remote by accident?

Belker

Also on an unrelated note I have a Canadian model KS8000 from this year. I assume it's the "2016" model. UN65KS8000FXZC. There was only the small smart remote in the box,or was there? Comments here are making me think I threw out another larger remote by accident?

Here in the UK I had two remotes with my TV. One small smart remote with a metallic finish and a larger, standard, black plastic remote.

Ogawa-san

There are physical controls, just in case your remote goes MIA.
k9SkjiB.png

Top Bottom