• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

Head.spawn

I have a question, I have this TV but have used up all of the HDMI ports(XBOX ONE, PS4, Nintendo Switch, and of course the cable box for the TV) I have a few other consoles(Wii U, SNES Classic) that I want to connect to the TV but its so annoying having to unplug one console and plug in a different one, often it confuses the TV so I was wondering if there is something I could purchase that would give me a few extra HDMI ports so I could connect everything

Sounds like you want an HDMI Spliiter.

I haven't used any of these myself so I'm not vouching for quality, just giving you an idea of what to look for:

You can get some cheap ones for 1080p, maybe you could use most of your TV ports for 4k content and dedicate the rest for 1080p devices:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B46XUQU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Or if you're looking for extra ports that support 4k/60fps/HDR/3D etc etc, it'll run you a little bit more:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071J5J8VF/?tag=neogaf0e-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WV5YJ6H/?tag=neogaf0e-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XYLHH69/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Warm 2 is disgusting for games, good for media

Cuphead gets a 4k version too. May wait to buy it like the rest of the games coming

All art was done mastered at 1080p, you aren't going to see a difference IIRC. With the post-processing going on here I don't think it's too big of a deal.

LastNac

I haven't used any of these myself so I'm not vouching for quality, just giving you an idea of what to look for:

You can get some cheap ones for 1080p, maybe you could use most of your TV ports for 4k content and dedicate the rest for 1080p devices:

Or if you're looking for extra ports that support 4k/60fps/HDR/3D etc etc, it'll run you a little bit more:

All art was done mastered at 1080p, you aren't going to see a difference IIRC. With the post-processing going on here I don't think it's too big of a deal.

Why warm 2 though?

Head.spawn

Why warm 2 though?

I just think things like light, white objects, sky, whites in most movies/shows looks more accurate to what I'd expect them to look IRL or in comparison to how they look in theaters, printed media references etc etc.. more natural.

Thanks so much for the info
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071J5J8VF/?tag=neogaf0e-20 one that you sent me looks good and the price is not bad at all just kind of confused as to what I would have to do..so I would have to somehow get that connected to the ONECONNECT box..then I can go ahead and put the remaining HDMI ports for the Wii U, SNES classic, and NES classic to the splitter? I assume it would work the same and the TV would recognize it

LastNac

I just think things like light, white objects, sky, whites in most movies/shows looks more accurate to what I'd expect them to look IRL or in comparison to how they look in theaters, printed media references etc etc.. more natural.

Sky seems yellow in Uncharted though. Maybe thats me, but what game best display Warm 2?

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Warm 2 is great for everything. It'll look like shit if your other settings aren't right though.

I generally just do game mode with
Backlight - 10 (switch to 20 for HDR)
Brightness - 45
Contrast - 95
Sharpness - 0
Smart LED - Low
HDMI Black - Auto
Dynamic Contrast - Off
Color Tone - Warm 2
Color Space - Auto

LastNac

Warm 2 is great for everything. It'll look like shit if your other settings aren't right though.

I generally just do game mode with
Backlight - 10 (switch to 20 for HDR)
Brightness - 45
Contrast - 95
Sharpness - 0
Smart LED - Low
HDMI Black - Auto
Dynamic Contrast - Off
Color Tone - Warm 2
Color Space - Auto
For HDR?

SilverArrow20XX

Yeah. I only bother changing the brightness to 20 for HDR. There are a couple other things I used to tweak too to make it slightly better, but since the game mode bug doesn't save the HDR settings, you have to manually change it back and forth and I'm lazy.

Also, Dynamic Contrast should be off. Unless you like radioactive grass and such. It looks great at first because of how much it pops, but there are things that shouldn't pop.

Risev1

20 backlight for HDR.

BTW, when I first got the tv, I thought Warm 2 was so unnatural. Hated it. I did hear many say I should force myself to get used to it though. I did, and now 2 months later, I can never switch off of warm 2.

Heck I went back and played older ps3 /360 games on warm 2 and they looked better than I remembered.

SilverArrow20XX

20 backlight for HDR.

BTW, when I first got the tv, I thought Warm 2 was so unnatural. Hated it. I did hear many say I should force myself to get used to it though. I did, and now 2 months later, I can never switch off of warm 2.

Heck I went back and played older ps3 /360 games on warm 2 and they looked better than I remembered.

Right? I used to hate how it made everything seem yellow compared to standard or Warm 1, but on everything else all the lightning effects seem wrong.

LastNac

20 backlight for HDR.

So do you cosign his settings?

LastNac

Yeah everything is the exact same when it comes to the settings. Only thing you'll need to change occasionally is the backlight. 20 for HDR, 9-11 for non-hdr stuff.

Interesting, I had been rocking the Digital Foundry settings save for the color temp, because yes, some things did seem to glow a little too much.

Risev1

Interesting, I had been rocking the Digital Foundry settings save for the color temp, because yes, some things did seem to glow a little too much.

Hmmm mind reminding me what settings they had different? I remember checking their video out but that was a while back. Not sure which video it was either.

CpRBe

Neo Member
Hello.

Bought a KS7500 from one year, but today i decide to manage my cable and i have a little question.

I have 4 HDMI input :

1 TV box
1 Xbox One S (Xbox One X preorder)
1 PS4 Pro
1 Sheild Tv Gen2

My question is simple :

Is there a preference to connect the different inputs?

Example : Xbox One on Hdmi 1 because ...

Thanks in advance for your reply :)

Any news on this HDR10+ thing update?

Any tips for edge light bleed/glow reduction? All I've read is "reduce backlight" but I've got mine down to 5 at night.

If you go back a few in this thread you'll see my photos of how bad my screen was. the solution was to get the screen replaced. (samsung did it for free in about 15 minutes at my house)

Hello.

Bought a KS7500 from one year, but today i decide to manage my cable and i have a little question.

I have 4 HDMI input :

1 TV box
1 Xbox One S (Xbox One X preorder)
1 PS4 Pro
1 Sheild Tv Gen2

My question is simple :

Is there a preference to connect the different inputs?

Example : Xbox One on Hdmi 1 because ...

Thanks in advance for your reply :)

All inputs do have the same specs, so no preferences.

When moving this this weekend my friend managed to get oily fingerprints on the bottom right corner of the screen - not a big deal at all as it doesn’t show up when the screen is on, but when I tried wiping it with a micro fiver cloth it seemed to just smear it. I assume there is some kind of anti reflective coating that is now permanently marked?

When moving this this weekend my friend managed to get oily fingerprints on the bottom right corner of the screen - not a big deal at all as it doesn’t show up when the screen is on, but when I tried wiping it with a micro fiver cloth it seemed to just smear it. I assume there is some kind of anti reflective coating that is now permanently marked?

I had the same problem where my son touched the screen.

I tried a number of different micro fibre clothes and the monster screen cleaner that Samsung suggest but was unable to remove them fully.

Like you say not a big deal as they are only visible when light or window reflections hit them when it’s off but it’s annoying knowing they are there and won’t go away.

I had the same problem where my son touched the screen.

I tried a number of different micro fibre clothes and the monster screen cleaner that Samsung suggest but was unable to remove them fully.

Like you say not a big deal as they are only visible when light or window reflections hit them when it’s off but it’s annoying knowing they are there and won’t go away.
Yeah, that’s a shame. Thanks for the info anyway :)

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I need a new screen cleaner.

Mine leaves a smeary mess on the screen and im tired of it.
Unless someone or something is touching your screen, I wouldn't clean it at all (unless you sit extremely close and can actually notice the dust). I've never touched mine in the year-plus that I've had it.

KalBalboa

Banned
Any news on this HDR10+ thing update?

If you go back a few in this thread you'll see my photos of how bad my screen was. the solution was to get the screen replaced. (samsung did it for free in about 15 minutes at my house)

I've owned my set for about a year and just pulled it out of storage. It's not horrible but I notice it with nearly every movie I watch.

I'll have to look into the cost. There's no way they'd do it for free now.

Haines

Banned
Unless someone or something is touching your screen, I wouldn't clean it at all (unless you sit extremely close and can actually notice the dust). I've never touched mine in the year-plus that I've had it.

My kids won't leave it alone.
I don't have a choice.

70 percent isopropyl alchohol on a micro fiber cloth, followed by a dry micro fiber cloth. Smudges are so hard to get off this screen but this method took care of them entirely on my set.

SilverArrow20XX

Any tips for edge light bleed/glow reduction? All I've read is "reduce backlight" but I've got mine down to 5 at night.

Same here. I had to wrestle with customer service for a while before they scheduled the repair visit, but the whole thing only took about 15 minutes and it was free.

There is still some bleeding even on a "perfect" screen, but that's just par for the course with an edge lit TV. It annoyed me for a while since my previous 720p TV was backlit and had no bleed at all, but I got used to it and barely notice it at all now.

Do all KS series TVs use the same firmware? I have a KS9500 that is stuck on FW 1180.5, and the Samsung site doesn't have newer firmware in my region for that model. However, the KS8000 has newer firmware (1203.6). Is it possible to just install that firmware? I've tried using a USB drive, without luck, but perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

Unrelated: I can output DTS or Dolby Digital via ARC to my receiver, but every time I switch to content with a different track type, it defaults to PCM again, and I have to manually switch the bitstream setting to the relevant output. Really frustrating, since I've always used DTS on my PS4 and Netflix seems to be mostly DD.

noomi

Do all KS series TVs use the same firmware? I have a KS9500 that is stuck on FW 1180.5, and the Samsung site doesn't have newer firmware in my region for that model. However, the KS8000 has newer firmware (1203.6). Is it possible to just install that firmware? I've tried using a USB drive, without luck, but perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

Unrelated: I can output DTS or Dolby Digital via ARC to my receiver, but every time I switch to content with a different track type, it defaults to PCM again, and I have to manually switch the bitstream setting to the relevant output. Really frustrating, since I've always used DTS on my PS4 and Netflix seems to be mostly DD.

They roll out firmware per region at different times it seems. People had the latest firmware for like a month and I finally just got it about a week ago.

If you'd rather not wait you can download it via the sammy website and install through USB.

Syrus

Banned

Buy bias lighting

Everyone should havr bias lighting. It makes everything look better and reduces eye strain.

I bought the luminoodle on Amazon

philm87

Buy bias lighting

Everyone should havr bias lighting. It makes everything look better and reduces eye strain.

I'll second the luminoodle recommendation. Love it. I had a slight bit of light bleed at the bottom but don't notice it now.

AzerPhire

Anyone have issues with 4K HDR using longer HDMI cables? I have tried two 25' HDMI cables (Amazon Basics CL3 and iCan Premium HDMI - Both indicate 18GB/s bandwidth and that they support 4k/60 and HDR)

With my Xbox One S I either get a constant flashing black screen or will get strange graphical glitches in the image. Input 2 I get the black flashing no matter what cable I use and on input 3 I get a mix of both issues depending on what cable I am using.

When I used the HDMI cable that came with the XB1S I never had any of these issues. Are longer cables just not capable of handling constant 4K HDR?

Anyone have issues with 4K HDR using longer HDMI cables? I have tried two 25' HDMI cables (Amazon Basics CL3 and iCan Premium HDMI - Both indicate 18GB/s bandwidth and that they support 4k/60 and HDR)

With my Xbox One S I either get a constant flashing black screen or will get strange graphical glitches in the image. Input 2 I get the black flashing no matter what cable I use and on input 3 I get a mix of both issues depending on what cable I am using.

When I used the HDMI cable that came with the XB1S I never had any of these issues. Are longer cables just not capable of handling constant 4K HDR?

hmm, thats weird. Seems like the xbox one s cable is the best one to use with this tv. Wonder whats different about it...

do xbox sell that cable separately? Id get it for my ps4 too

Syrus

Banned

Longer hdmi cords are hit and miss especially with 4k kr hdr stuff. Do homework first and if it claims to work but dont. Get a refund.

I have the monoprice premium certified cable at 20 feet.

I went through many cables, even the highest rated ones on Amazon. Saw someone mention these on another forum.

No issues whatsoever with these cables.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427

SkylineRKR

Warm 2 is probably the best if you play around with the other settings. You don't get this blue haze over your screen with Warm2. It might be a bit yellow but you need to lower brightness and contrast somewhat for that. White stuff such as the Wipeout logo on PS4 OS are absolutely white.

Doombear

Buy bias lighting

I'll third the luminoodle. Silly name, great bias strip! I did get a switch for mine as well, but it isn't necesary. I just like having the option to turn it off (since it is always on when your TV powers on otherwise). This is the one I bought at the same time and it has been great.

ornery

Picked up an 65MU8500 this past weekend (apparently the successor to the KS)

Any word on if game mode HDR is having issues with this model, as well?

Robiin

Anyone else have screen tearing/scan line issues? It's like a (just one) horizontal flickering line that moves from top to bottom, completely random. It only happens with consoles, so I'm thinking it's game mode that causes it. I just want to know if I'm alone with this?

Top Bottom