• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

Syrus

Banned
Rudy1 informed me that the firmware has been approved and schedules for November.

2016 KS models probably wns of November amd 2017 will be out anytime in November

Ogawa-san

Rudy1 informed me that the firmware has been approved and schedules for November.

2016 KS models probably wns of November amd 2017 will be out anytime in November
I hope it goes through faster than the 1206 update, because I'm still waiting on it down here :|

I need to check this out. Does it work when you are using Netflix on the TV's app version?

Good question. I don't think so because that button triggers stats on Netflix. I think it only works on HDMI devices.

TV's Amazon app still shows the old "HDR is playing" notification for some reason.

Heel

Some other cool info from Rudy1 if you're an Xfinity TV subscriber:

According to my sources, the Xfinity Partner App (which would in essence replace your Xfinity set top box) is slated to be deployed by Comcast on the 2016 & 2017 models by the end of this year.

I remember reading the press release saying it was coming out in 2016, so figured it was dead in the water. Would be a nice addition, depending on performance.

Here's the old press release.

Aske

This may be a very stupid question.

Dolby Vision. The TV doesn't support it. But if I buy a standalone 4K Blu-ray player that supports it, does the TV still need to be compatible, or does the player do the work so that the TV displays Dolby Vision content without having to be compatible?

This may be a very stupid question.

Dolby Vision. The TV doesn't support it. But if I buy a standalone 4K Blu-ray player that supports it, does the TV still need to be compatible, or does the player do the work so that the TV displays Dolby Vision content without having to be compatible?
Every PS4 supports HDR, but if your television doesn't then you're not gonna get HDR. Similarly, in your case if the display itself doesn't support it, you're not gonna get Dolby Vision.

This is a stupid ass question but is it safe to put a subwoofer near this tv :lol

I currently have mine on the floor to the left of the TV stand but I want to put my PC there and I don’t know how close to the tv the subwoofer can be

Aske

Every PS4 supports HDR, but if your television doesn't then you're not gonna get HDR. Similarly, in your case if the display itself doesn't support it, you're not gonna get Dolby Vision.

Thanks for the info. HDR is a display technology, but as I understand it, Dolby Vision is a way to specify how HDR content is displayed; that's why I wondered if that info could be decoded on a player level, similar to an audio format passed through a receiver.

Thanks for the info. HDR is a display technology, but as I understand it, Dolby Vision is a way to specify how HDR content is displayed; that's why I wondered if that info could be decoded on a player level, similar to an audio format passed through a receiver.

As far as I understand, HDR10 is a requirement of every 4K UHD player. A handful of players also support Dolby Vision, but they will default to HDR10 if a DV capable television isn't detected.

EvB

HDR is a display technology, but as I understand it, Dolby Vision is a way to specify how HDR content is displayed

Yeah, Dolby Vision and HDR10 are both simply a set of rules and technologies that have been standardised.

It's a bit like Blu Ray VS HD-DVD

Dolby vision is the more sensible one, HDR10 was basically cobbled together using the bits of Dolby vision that weren't owned by Dolby.
This "open source" format was than rolled out into any TV that Sony , Samsung and LG wanted to put it into, whether or not the TV was physically capable of utilizing any benefit from the new formats.

Heel

As far as I understand, HDR10 is a requirement of every 4K UHD player. A handful of players also support Dolby Vision, but they will default to HDR10 if a DV capable television isn't detected.

Right, and every UHD Bluray has an HDR10 base layer even if it has Dolby Vision. You'll be fine.

saltyramen

Does anyone else have a Switch and an Xbox One problem -- I go to the Switch HDMI input and it turns on my XBOX One everytime. I don't get it.

Does anyone know if there's a way to either manually update or re-trigger the naming of the hdmi input? For some reason it forgot the PS4 and now just shows as HDMI 2.

Mudron

Dumb question, but can anyone recommend a 4K 60fps HDMI switcher/splitter with 6 or more inputs?

Between my Apple TV, PS4, Xbox, Switch, PC and SNES Classic, my old 4-input HDMI switcher just ain't cutting it anymore.

philm87

I have the same issue with both PS4 and the Switch. It’s super aggravating. Keeps renaming them HDMI 1 and 3. I wish I could just turn off the auto assign feature.

Same issue here. Only started to happen recently though. I'm wondering if it's the hdmi cable going a bit dodgy because I've only recently been getting the occasional picture drop off also, whether it's HDR or not.

carsar

I wish I could just turn off the auto assign feature.
You can.

HDMI AUTO DETECT TOGGLE

The HDMI Auto Detect feature can be turned off on Samsung 2016/2017 TVs using the remote control by pressing a certain key sequence (either IR or Bluetooth remote works).

1. Make sure TV is updated to latest firmware version
2. Switch TV to TV source – HDMI may not work with BT Smart remotes. TV source works with either remote
3. Using IR Remote: Mute + 7 + 2 + 9 + Exit
4. Using Smart Control: Mute + Vol Down + Ch Down + Mute

PLEASE NOTE: TV does not display any messages after you press the above key combination. This function is a toggle. So if you want to turn HDMI Auto Detect on again, press the same key sequence.

This information has already been shared with online Tech Support and the Call Centers.
That has fixed annoying autoswitch to PC mode.

Heel

Tinkered with settings last night, and found out you can stop the TV from displaying the lower input banner every time you power on the TV.

System > Expert Settings > Autorun Smart Hub

Much cleaner experience this way, especially if you're powering on a console from a controller and don't want the banner in the way on startup.

Does anyone know if there's a way to either manually update or re-trigger the naming of the hdmi input? For some reason it forgot the PS4 and now just shows as HDMI 2.

I think its the latest firmware for the PS4 doing this.

I turn my TV off at the wall everyday when I'm not in and when it goes on with the PS4 it tells me its detected a new input.

Before 5.00 it never used to and would always treat it as the PS4.

The settings for the TV themsevelves havent changed but it see's it as a new input everytime.

Izuna

Banned
Nvidia HDR users, what are your settings? Forza 7 HDR turns on but all the midtones have muted colours.

EDIT: So, for the Xbox One S and normal HDR video playback via the TV app, setting the Colour to 60-65 (on the TV) made it look a lot better, like closer to the S8.

Head.spawn

Tinkered with settings last night, and found out you can stop the TV from displaying the lower input banner every time you power on the TV.

Much cleaner experience this way, especially if you're powering on a console from a controller and don't want the banner in the way on startup.

Nice. Doing this right now.

laxu

Is there any way to remove that white circle icon thingy that pops up whenever you control another device? I use the TV remote to adjust volume on my receiver and the icon comes on screen every time I do that. It's a very minor annoyance but an annoyance nevertheless.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Is there any way to remove that white circle icon thingy that pops up whenever you control another device? I use the TV remote to adjust volume on my receiver and the icon comes on screen every time I do that. It's a very minor annoyance but an annoyance nevertheless.

It shows you whether you are using volume up or down. It changes based on which remote button you press.

saltyramen

is there a reason why the xbox HDMI cable on the lower input menu is always "active"? it's not like the switch or ps4 where it's grayed out on that hdmi slot. I don't really know how to explain this better lmao

is there a reason why the xbox HDMI cable on the lower input menu is always "active"? it's not like the switch or ps4 where it's grayed out on that hdmi slot. I don't really know how to explain this better lmao

It probably just behaves differently than the other two. Do you have the Xbox set to "Instant On" or "Power Saving"? Your best bet at having it grayed out is to select the latter.

Gumbie

Does anyone have any good settings for PC mode? I can't seem to settle on something that looks good to me. Always looks too bright or too dark. I've got it at 1080p with HDMI UHD Color enabled. Nivida settings at ycbcr444. Any help is appreciated.

Mudron

Has anyone had any problems attaching an HDMI switcher to the Samsung's One Connect box to allow for extra 4K HDMI inputs into the TV?

Looks like 1206.1 is available for download in the US. Scroll down to downloads.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/2016-suhd-smart-tv-ks8-series#downloads

- Model : KS8000, KS800D, KS8500, KS850D, KS9000, KS900D, KS9500, KS950D, KS9800, KS9810, KU7000, KU700D, KU7500, KU750D
- Version : 1206.1
- Improved usability 1. Improved browser performance 2. Improved app performance 3. Improved stability 4. Improved usability of input devices

The software of the TV is really a bit slow. Reminds me of early gen smartphones after 2 years of usage. Looking forward to this update's EU release.

The DAZN app is the worst offender but I'm not sure if it's on Samsung or on DAZN to code an app this shit. It crashes consistently.

Leeroy605

You can.

That has fixed annoying autoswitch to PC mode.

These two posts cured my biggest annoyances with this TV. Thanks!

Top Bottom