• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kyle Bosman is Leaving Easy Allies

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Meh. It was writing on the wall for a long time now. Easy Allies has stagnated for nearly two years and its community is (ironically) some of the most toxic, with many of its members being pro-Era supporters.

I am surprised that Kyle didn't leave sooner. Though that is just another reason to not watch their content much these days. All that has left me staying has been Ben Moore.

Pantz

He's a cool guy, wish him luck in the future. My bet is he will get into some kind of work with Geoff Keighley.

I've been a Patron to Easy Allies and always hoped that our funding would help them to grow their business into something more professional and self-sufficient. They've finally started accepting outside sponsorship for the free version of the podcast. They seem kind of wishy-washy on what even they want their business to become. Either way I'm happy with it as it is now as long as they are.

Shakka43

I mainly watch then around game conference events but I always liked the whole group's chemistry even going back to the GameTrailer days, Kyle is definitely gonna be missed there.

mekes

I haven’t seen anything from him since the Gametrailers days. I enjoyed him there and didn’t know he had switched to EZA. Somewhere along the line I fell out of the loop on a lot of this stuff. Wish him all the best, I would have sampled some of their shows or podcasts had I known he was there.

Handel

Bosman while not being the one I'm most in sync with taste wise, always gave the most unique analysis/takes on things and pushed against stagnation. EZA is losing it's most important voice here. I'll still watch some stuff for Ben, Jones and Bloodworth(taste most aligned) but yeah, this is a huge bummer for EZA but absolutely the right move for Bosman. He's too talented to be stuck there, he has Keighley+ levels of solo potential.

VN1X

Banned
I can understand the likely reasoning for leaving (a single patreon for 9 people feels way too tight and insecure financially). But why leave when he has nothing else planned? No gig, no show, nothing?

That's weird.
Don't they make like over 40k in terms of Patreon support every month? That's like... $4500 a person? Imagine if they even only get to actually keep $2000 of that, it's still a lot more than people working 'an actual job' take in.

Maybe I got my maths mixed up, I dunno. It feels like financially they are sorted though.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
Don't they make like over 40k in terms of Patreon support every month? That's like... $4500 a person? Imagine if they even only get to actually keep $2000 of that, it's still a lot more than people working 'an actual job' take in.

Maybe I got my maths mixed up, I dunno. It feels like financially they are sorted

2000 a month is like 12 bucks an hour 40 hrs a week. Some bigger gas stations near me pay that for counter work. With little responsibility.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Ian isn't that bad, and he seems to do a lot of behind the scenes work.

If there's anyone in EZA I wouldn't mind leaving it's Damiani.

Ian is a hugely pretentious douchebag. Almost everything that pours out of his mouth is laced with an air of self importance and blasé attitude. Can't stand the guy. Each to their own, though.

Damiana is on the spectrum but he has a lot to say about games and he mostly articulates his points very well.

Was never a fan off this guy. Cant stand guys who keep joking and not being serious. That song to shu was probably the most embarrassing thing I've seen.

I much prefer the other guys at easy allies.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
I've always been interested in his opinions or tastes on games, even when i disagree with him cause he often offered insights and a different point of view.

Sometimes he likes to intentionally annoy people and i've never quite understood that.

I do hope he keeps working for this industry.

Bankai

What the fuck? He is Easy Allies and one of the main reasons I bother to tune in for their podcast every week. :(

Man... this sucks!

Yeah. And the previous podcasts with Brandon Jones as the host were SO much worse. I can't say I'm looking forward to it :(

He really is the main reason I like Easy Allies.

edit: I think he's either going to create a game (like the RPG he did a while back) ór do somethin with Geoff Keighley.

Last edited:

Woffls

Kyle has always been my favourite, but I'll continue to support EZA for now. I was hoping they would move away from more free-form content and put some heavy production behind some new shows, but it hasn't really happened. Mysterious Monsters is the sort of thing I wanted to see, and obviously more GT-esque content, but this is far less likely now that Kyle is leaving.

I'll follow whatever Kyle does in the public arena because I truly believe he is very talented, but I get the feeling he might get involved in bigger projects and be hidden for a while. In the least creepy way possible, I just hope he can find the purpose for which he is looking.

Ryu Kaiba

This has to be money related, he probably knows he can generate a lot more by himself than splitting the Patreon money with people that barely anyone would pay to listen to, the likes of Ian and Damiani.
It's not money related. And they made money from sponsors, youtubers, twitch subscribers, adverts. There's a lot more then just patreon money.

A shame, but good to see him go towards finding something he really wants to do.

On the subject of EZA, I think its strength is in the variation in members. People are different and they'll usually find a member they like to follow. The mix of individual members, pairs of members and the whole group, is what makes EZA really great on content. That and EZA often do old and/or niche games at times as well, which I often find myself enjoying.

Ryu Kaiba

Meh. It was writing on the wall for a long time now. Easy Allies has stagnated for nearly two years and its community is (ironically) some of the most toxic, with many of its members being pro-Era supporters.

I am surprised that Kyle didn't leave sooner. Though that is just another reason to not watch their content much these days. All that has left me staying has been Ben Moore.
I always imagined Kyle could do great things but didn't think he'd leave EZA to do it
I'm on the same page tho about the REera types that run their community and if Ben Moore leaves its a done deal.

Ryu Kaiba

Yeah. And the previous podcasts with Brandon Jones as the host were SO much worse. I can't say I'm looking forward to it :(

edit: I think he's either going to create a game (like the RPG he did a while back) ór do somethin with Geoff Keighley.
He's leaving LA so it's not to work with Keighley
He said on his Friday night stream that he is on the waiting list to return to college to pursue his masters and he may do that.

Dibils2k

Wow, EZA is my fav channel. I always thought Kyle was way too big for EZA, I hope he does his streams and youtube blogs from home while he surely calls Knightley for a job.

Unless something radical happens I can't see EZA surviving this, sad times for the boys.

What if he joins funhaus? That would be something since Bruce and Lawrence left and the rest can't carry the whole thing. He just might.. it's humor all the time over there.
read the bloody message, he is leaving LA and in his last stream mentioned doing a masters degree

this has nothing to do with leaving EZA to do a similar thing somewhere else

replicant-

Maybe I got my maths mixed up, I dunno. It feels like financially they are sorted though.

Not forgetting other income revenues e.g, Twitch subs, YT advertising, merchandise margin.

But remember EZ is a business so it will have costs.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I always imagined Kyle could do great things but didn't think he'd leave EZA to do it
I'm on the same page tho about the REera types that run their community and if Ben Moore leaves its a done deal.

No lie, I do hope Ben leaves. Would love to follow him elsewhere. Hopefully to a place where he can completely weeb out and not have to watch what he says and does to appease these mental ingrates. I remember having a convo with him about his enjoyment of Senran Kagura, a series that the "love and respect"-ful community despises because 'muh misogyny and sexism'.

Ryu Kaiba

And you know it's not money related how? Why do you think he left then?
I've been watching for a long time, they have a very open relationship with the community, If thats what it was i'm pretty confident he would have just said so. Kyle has a very strong creative drive. Even when he's onto something that people love like Final Bosman, Box Peek, Bosman V Wozniak, he always just moves on to new endeavors and it seems even Easy Allies itself was one of those things. He's in his 30's and I don't know if you're in your 30's but it has that feel, that feel of "you got one more shot" to go after your dreams or you're stuck where you are.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I've been watching for a long time, they have a very open relationship with the community, If thats what it was i'm pretty confident he would have just said so. Kyle has a very strong creative drive. Even when he's onto something that people love like Final Bosman, Box Peek, Bosman V Wozniak, he always just moves on to new endeavors and it seems even Easy Allies itself was one of those things. He's in his 30's and I don't know if you're in your 30's but it has that feel, that feel of "you got one more shot" to go after your dreams or you're stuck where you are.

They have a very open relationship with a tiny portion of their community.

Smart to jump ship. EZA has completely stagnated over the past two years, wouldn't be surprised to see them all follow suit over the next year or so.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Brad and Ben are cool too.
Some of my favorite EZA content are the 3 hours long Huber + Brad + Ben Frametrap episodes.
Ben, Brad and Huber are definitely great, though I love them all. It's just that particular trio's dynamic is really nice- especially during impression segments and E3. Kyle helped a lot with posing important questions when it came to talking about whatever they demo'd or experienced in an easy to understand way.

Bigrx1

Banned
I've pretty much stopped watching gaming related stuff or listening to podcasts of gaming and so forth, but up until a few years ago I was really into it and Easy Allies were my faves by far. I wish him the best, I always kind of felt that if someone were to not join in the first place, or leave the soonest, it would be him.

Azurro

Banned

There are taxes involved and production costs that eat a lot into that number. Those guys are probably not making much money at all if that patreon is all they have and it's supposed to be for 9 people.

Ryu Kaiba

True, Jones is a good dude..mostly, and a good supporting role for the podcast but I don't know how long I'll listen without Kyle.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
I mean it seemed there were long stretches of those years where he wasn't around much? Seemed he was already in and out for a bit

As he wrote, they knew about this for months, it was probably all part of a transitional period.

Top Bottom