• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

L’Oreal Drops Transgender Model After ‘All White People’ Racism Post

That's not the same as racism though. Surely racism is actively harming POC?

And before you say privilige. There are lot of homeless white people, shit out of luck. Are they racist? Reaping the benefits of white privilige?

That is the idea, I'm afraid. It's this opression olympic thing, where a white person is always better of. A white homeless man is better of than a black homeless man. A white man with cancer is better of than a black man with cancer.

It's to use a measurement stick through an American lens, imploy and repeat the same phrases; Like somehow a white man with cancer or a white homeless man is going to sit there and reflect on that someone else, somewhere else is in a worse spot than they are.

As a tentative means to make white people more aware of their advantages, it is one of the most counter productive and tone deaf labels there is. Nobody who is white and suffering, is going to have the stamina to sit there and go "geez, I might have cancer, but it could be worse. I could have been born a minority with cancer".

You perceive your own life in a vacuum, because its the only first hand experience you have, and you rightly get pissed off when others try to tell you to readjust what you're going through just because someone else is worse off.

I don't for a second buy that minorities in Americans wouldn't be just as annoyed if someone told them to pipe it down and appreciate their American privilege because the benefits of being American still vastly outstrip the QOL many places on earth.
You're simply not going to be open that as some sort of "pipe it down minorities. Someone else, somewhere else are much worse than you. appreciate your privilege".

Bad communication aside, it's of course true. Whites do have all the benefits in the western world, and having a honest conversation about how to make white people not be on the defensive, so they can open their minds to their advantages, would be interesting. But rarely do I see people who are actually interested in what changes people here on GAF.
What I see most is that a lot of people are just attached to the bandwagon condemnation for the purpose of getting an outlet- Which doesn't solve anything. It just makes white people more disenfranchised and upset, and then the response is some other term like "white fragility" and the effect just becomes more and more entrenched and toxic.

You don't make people more open to new ideas or being appreciative, by making them angry and defensive. It's a bad emotional response to try and change the behavior of someone else.
If you wanted to change the opinion of a family member, a friend or a spouse, do you think you most successfully do that by accusing and summarizing their worth based on the external appearance and genetics? That shit will backfire, and nobody is going to be open to change through being talked to like that.

Not at all, where on earth have I refused acknowledgment?! I completely agree white people are priviliged. You keep getting away from my example though, because you can't give specifics. That poor, homeless white man under the bridge, doesn't enjoy any white privilige. Therefore, how can he be racist?
Let's apply my example to that then:

A PoC living under a bridge is disadvantaged compared to a White person living under a bridge.

Therefore, the White person is still enjoying White privilege.

certainly a failure on both parties parts here. L'Oreal has to run background checks on their models, particularly on their social media, if they are going to be so gun shy about this. I would think hiring an LGBT, particularly the T part would be more prone to making statements like this, since a huge part of that identity is at least personal acceptance of being LGBT and one would think more likely to address the mere fact of being LGBT in some fashion that may be "edgy". Throw in the racial aspect, and yeah, how do you not run her social media before hiring her-someone there should be fired for this. You'd think her agent would have told her to scrub her social media into bland nothingness a month before this announcement at a minimum. Likewise, if you're going to be the public face of something or even public-facing of something, you either muzzle yourself or have a constituency that will support your product through this. A shame, but if a huge demo of your make up sales consists of white suburban housewives, there are certain places you can't go.

Seems like both sides set themselves up for failure here. Of course, while this is a business and contractual disaster, she can certainly has increased her visibility. I can't, as a white hetero male, think of the last time I actively thought about L'Oreal or any other similar product and certainly not models associated with such. And here you go, I know this person and a little of her story, which may pay off better for her long term as at least her next big contract knows what they're getting and she can be more true to herself.

Both of your refusal to acknowledge that there are many forms of privilege is upsetting:

Race - being born White is a privilege
Class - having capital is a privilege
Able-bodied- being able-bodied is a privilege
Sex - being a man is a privilege
Sexuality - being Straight is a privilege
Etc.

A rich Black man is still disadvantaged compared to a rich White man.
A poor Black man is still disadvantaged compared to a poor White man.

On the other end of the spectrum, a rich Black man has an advantage compared to a rich Black woman of equal capital, because of his sex

Knowing the intersectionality of different types of privilege will allow you to acknowledge your own. Acknowledgement is not feeling guilty about your own livelihood. It's not to make you feel bad about who you are.

I am able-bodied, yet, I acknowledge my blessings and try to make things better for those that are not by involving myself in service projects that can better the lives of disabled people. Etc.

You're not asking me to acknowledge it, you're asking me to participate in sanctimonious posturing. You're so eager to talk down to me that it doesn't even cross your mind that I'm saying what I'm saying as a person of color.

It's great for someone to "acknowledge your blessings", but acknowledging your blessings and grandstanding are two different things, and people like you come off as the latter, not the former. I don't mean that as an attack on you personally, I'm just being frank and to the point.

No one, with a straight face, will ever tell you that Condoleeza Rice has it worse than a poor white man because of her race and sex.

All this type of politics accomplishes is letting someone play the game of Social Capital. It fixes nothing. It's paternalistic feel good bunk.

Wamb0wneD

You're not asking me to acknowledge it, you're asking me to participate in sanctimonious posturing. You're so eager to talk down to me that it doesn't even cross your mind that I'm saying what I'm saying as a person of color.

It's great for someone to "acknowledge your blessings", but acknowledging your blessings and grandstanding are two different things, and people like you come off as the latter, not the former.

No one, with a straight face, will ever tell you that Condoleeza Rice has it worse than a poor white man because of her race and sex.

All this type of politics accomplishes is letting someone play the game of Social Capital. It fixes nothing. It's paternalistic feel good bunk.

Boom.

Or you could drop the pretense and the Lord of the Flies roleplay and recognize that two men living under a bridge and dealing with all of that baggage that comes with it would benefit much more without someone like you pointing at one person while telling the other about how much better they have it in comparison.

But I wouldn't do that they're homeless and that would be insensitive to even begin that discussion with them and that's not the point of the generalization in the first place.

Because I'm not, She wasn't and the others in this thread are not talking about homeless people or people that can't do anything for themselves like the mentally disabled. We're talking about able white people who all benefit from white supremacy. Just like all men benefit from patriarchy and heterosexuals to hetero-normativity. That's literally it. And if you're more concerned about that and the other generalizations and your ego/individuality being hurt because of it. You're not an ally, or anything that's gonna help anyone at this point.

A PoC living under a bridge is disadvantaged compared to a White person living under a bridge.

I think a reasonable people can be made to understand that a homeless white person could have advantages compared to a homeless black person. I certainly agree with your statement in a very literal sense, but can't you see why calling a homeless person privileged is completely ridiculous to regular folks.

It's great for someone to "acknowledge your blessings", but acknowledging your blessings and grandstanding are two different things, and people like you come off as the latter, not the former.

You immediately attack me for thinking I'm speaking down to you when I'm merely telling you things from my perspective. Also, Condoleeza Rice is disadvantaged in terms of her race and sex compared to the White man. That's still true.
I think a reasonable people can be made to understand that a homeless white person could have advantages compared to a homeless black person. I certainly agree with your statement in a very literal sense, but can't you see why calling a homeless person privileged is completely ridiculous to regular folks.
Absolutely, but the model's press statement is obviously targeting L'Oreal and not the hypothetical homeless White man.

Miles X

Why and how? A couple of advantages he has please. If I agree I'll put my hands up and say so.

But he still won't be racist.

Maybe I'ts because it's of my background but I simply have never hold a thought of racism, simply because I wouldn't even know what I should be racist towards. I'm half turkish half german, experienced some awful shit due to my father's heritage in school. My stepfather who I've known since birth comes from Cameroon, my godfather from Jamaica. My best friends are from Singapore and Korea.

Like, I can't remember a single racist thought crossing my mind, so I'm not sure how you can be so sure it did. I feel like people always take their own experiences and maybe their friends or families and project that on every human being on earth when it comes to these issues.

Everyone has racist thoughts whether they be severe or minor. The bold is key here. You can't because no one has called it out. No human is perfect in that they don't harbor racist tendencies because there's this social structure weaved throughout all societies and cultures that has a racial hierarchy. It seeps into the average person and manifests with diet racism, KKK, etc. Everyone has these tendencies and saying you don't is impossible because of the world you live in, you would have to be removed from all media, people, and history to think otherwise.

Slayven

This is why people laugh at " allies" and reach out to the other "side". It quickly becomes about comforting people. Like when the fox lady broke down crying when they discussed racism.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'm Atikamekw, and if you agree with the statement that every white person is racist, I don't know what to tell you. Even reading her clarification, her statement is clear. I don't get most of the responses here.

Zolo

Yeah. I think it's a mistake to just use the term 'privileged' compared to specifying it to what way the person is privileged. I remember when people were calling TotalBiscuit just 'privileged' when it was expected he'd die from his cancer in 2-3 years.

Miles X

It was explained already if given the opportunity, the white male could benefit more from it.

That's not always the case but that's what tends to happen.

Problem there. There are plenty of homeless people (Yes, white AND POC) that don't get that opportunity, and die under that bridge.

What privilieges do they have?

Yeah. I think it's a mistake to just use the term 'privileged' compared to specifying it to what way the person is privileged. I remember when people were calling TotalBiscuit just 'privileged' when it was expected he'd die from his cancer in 2-3 years.

That's like not even related to how we're using the term in this thread though.

You immediately attack me for thinking I'm speaking down to you when I'm merely telling you things from my perspective. Also, Condoleeza Rice is disadvantaged in terms of her race and sex compared to the White man. That's still true.

Yes, an incredibly rich black women who held the reigns of state power for one of the most murderous and subjugating war machines to ever exist is at a disadvantage to some 57 year old white guy in Mississippi who's life savings amount to 3k saved in the bank and a run down dilapidated double wide.

gaiages

Banned
I believe I already answered your question by stating that PoC that are homeless are still at a disadvantage compared to homeless White people. Thus, homeless White people still have White privilege.

I want actual examples of how a white homeless man has an advantage over a black homeless man other than "well he's white duh" because if there's one thing almost everyone in the US can agree on it's the shitting on homeless people regardless of their skin color.

You're not giving ACTUAL examples, you're just saying "he's white, he has an advantage". What IS the advantage?

Problem there. There are plenty of homeless people (Yes, white AND POC) that don't get that opportunity, and die under that bridge.

What privilieges do they have?

If they don't get the opportunity that doesn't remove the privilege that they have dude. It's already there if the status quo is the way it is.

Miles X

If they don't get the opportunity that doesn't remove the privilege that they have dude. It's already there if the status quo is the way it is.

So they're racist for not enjoying a privilige they don't have? Right.

Bad white homeless man, being racist for not taking up that opportunity of a job/home that .. hasn't actually been offered to you.

Please.

Zolo

That's like not even related to how we're using the term in this thread though.

I agree. I wasn't talking about how it was used in this thread. Was talking more generally to how I've seen people use the term instead of talking about the different levels of 'privilege' and basically use it as an insult or without thinking about context. Brought it up since the topic of different levels of privilege was being briefly discussed.

Wamb0wneD

Everyone has racist thoughts whether they be severe or minor. The bold is key here. You can't because no one has called it out. No human is perfect in that they don't harbor racist tendencies because there's this social structure weaved throughout all societies and cultures that has a racial hierarchy. It seeps into the average person and manifests with diet racism, KKK, etc. Everyone has these tendencies and saying you don't is impossible because of the world you live in, you would have to be removed from all media, people, and history to think otherwise.

Or I live in a social environment and have a background that makes it impossible to be racist towards anybody or any group of people. I've been beaten up into a hospital by 15 turkish/albanian teens, did i have a racist thought against turkish or albanian people? No, why would I.
People made fun of my father dying because he's not from Germany for over a year and told me I should die as well, daily. Did I have a racist thought against Germans? No, why would I? I could go on like this forever.
There simply is no reason for me to have a racist thought, let alone an action. There's nothing I could've been called out on.

The white person under a bridge isn't enjoying shit.

I want actual examples of how a white homeless man has an advantage over a black homeless man other than "well he's white duh" because if there's one thing almost everyone in the US can agree on it's the shitting on homeless people regardless of their skin color.

You're not giving ACTUAL examples, you're just saying "he's white, he has an advantage". What IS the advantage?

"Being white, duh"

Yes, an incredibly rich black women who held the reigns of state power for one of the most murderous and subjugating war machines to ever exist is at a disadvantage to some 57 year old white guy in Mississippi who's life savings amount to 3k saved in the bank and a run down dilapidated double wide.

Well, for one, I am on mobile: so my apologies for not writing a dissertation when I can typically write one. I can, though, provide you a very good article that directly addresses both of your questions:

https://medium.com/@dmegivern/there...n-poor-whites-and-people-of-color-add21cc0f78

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This is why people laugh at " allies" and reach out to the other "side". It quickly becomes about comforting people. Like when the fox lady broke down crying when they discussed racism.

There's a big difference between a lady that can't even talk or acknowledge that Trump said there were good people on "both sides" (which is obviously alluding to the neo-nazis having good people) and people reacting to a model that mentions "racial violence of white people..." "Yes ALL white people".

I don't know what I'm enjoying more:

The fact that her statements actually seem to bother people, or the fact that some are seriously responding with "poor white people have no privilege at all!"

This thread is gold.

Or I live in a social environment and have a background that makes it impossible to be racist towards anybody or any group of people. I've been beaten up into a hospital by 15 turkish/albanian teens, did i have a racist thought against turkish or albanian people? No, why would I. People made fun of my father dying because he's not from Germany for over a year, did I have a racist thought against Germans? No. I could go on like this forever.

You don't have anything that makes it impossible to be racist. It's impossible because racism is in all cultures and society and it affects the average person differently whether they have diet racism to full blown MAGA racism.

I get it, you feel you're not racist and that's fine but the fact you believe you have done zero wrong or will ever is foolish.

If they don't get that privilege, or get to exercise that privilege, then they lack that privilege.

It sounds to me a bit like the concept of original sin.

You're born sinful, and you will always be sinful. Through self hatred you must repent if you want to be good. You inhere the evil wrongdoings of your ancestors, and Jesus died for your sins.

All you did was link me to an article that espouses the same shallow and ill considered politics.

Look at this shallow feel good White Boy Liberal Bullshit:

I knew that I still had white privilege despite growing up in poverty. It wasn’t always easy for me to make that conclusion. When you are put in foster care in fifth grade, because you are poor, you just don’t feel like you have had any privileges. My brother and I were begging other children for food at lunch time — despite having free school lunch. When the State got to our house to investigate, they found it was thirty-eight degrees inside. In my majority black neighborhood, there was a lot of violence. My friend and I had a knife pulled on us in high school. I was beaten down. Things did not get much better until I was helped to college, then graduate school by a government program.
Nonetheless, I grew to understand the ways I was privileged from being able to get a cab to having my natural hair respected in the workplace to receiving the benefit of the doubt from the police and on and on.

I'm sorry, but not being able to hail a cab is no where near the equivalent to growing up on the brink of starvation.

"I may not eat today, but at least I know that, if I had the money to hail a cab, I wouldn't have any trouble doing so."

That does not dull the pain of poverty or hunger in the slightest.

Wamb0wneD

"All white people are racist."
"Well uh, I actively combat racism wherever I can, teach my language to foreigners/refugees, confront racism that I see in real life, engage in political discussion..."
"FFS WHITE PEOPLE ALWAYS WANT TO GET COMFORTED!"

Keep on I guess.

You're wrong, a privilige is something granted to (a particular person/group) Homeless man hasn't been granted that, thus doesn't have that privilege.

Umm well yeah being born white in this society is a privilege. And if that sounds fucked up then you to that's the whole point of civil rights. So that privilege is minimalized as much as possible if not out right removed.

Crocodile

When I read "socialized to be racist" I don't read that to mean "automatically being racist" but rather that there are a million factors in society pushing racist images and ideology on people as they grow up. It can be difficult for many to avoid falling into those pitfalls. Some do and come out ok. Many don't :(

It's great for someone to "acknowledge your blessings", but acknowledging your blessings and grandstanding are two different things, and people like you come off as the latter, not the former. I don't mean that as an attack on you personally, I'm just being frank and to the point.

People tend to be more than just their race and gender. That's what the concept of intersectionality means. Usually when making comparisons, it best to keep as many variables constant. That's just basic due diligence. Condoleeza Rice vs. random homeless white man works in favor of Rice because she is richer, better educated, etc. She still gets shit for her race/gender that the other person would but if you actually understood the concept of privilege along a particular axis, you'd know having it along one axis doesn't guarantee you a perfect life.

Or I mean people could get over themselves and be less triggered over dumb stuff? As a straight, able-bodied male, I tend not to scream "not all men" or other nonsense when groups of people who share my characteristics are criticized.

Why and how? A couple of advantages he has please. If I agree I'll put my hands up and say so.

But he still won't be racist.

One obvious example would be that they are likely to enjoy better interactions with the police and more sympathy from the general populace ("lazy black" stereotype vs. "down on luck" in other cases). I'd also be curious to learn about what happened in their life that lead them to that unfortunate situation. That's wouldn't inform me on how racist they may or may not be though.

That's not how privilege works though....

You have it whether you exercise it or not.

I want you to consider one thing.

What you're saying is inherently couched in Right Wing rhetoric.

"If only that homeless person would pick themselves up by their bootstraps they'd realize they have all this opportunity and privilege!"

We both know that overcoming extreme poverty isn't fixed with a "bootstraps" solution. Asking this person to just "realize their privilege" is the same thing, different language.

They do not have that opportunity. That opportunity is never given to them. They do not have the ability to exercise that opportunity.

Because it doesn't exist.

Umm well yeah being born white in this society is a privilege. And if that sounds fucked up then you to that's the whole point of civil rights. So that privilege is minimalized as much as possible if not out right removed.

Go tell a homeless man that in lieu of shelter, food, commodities, or having their basic needs met, hey, at least they have some privilege, some where, just around the corner, ready to lift them up out of the poverty ghetto.

Your sanctimonious paternalism will solve nothing.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
You can be in a bad place but still privileged.

Even model Munroe Bergdorf might have been picked over others for their diversity drive because she is light skinned.

I want you to consider one thing.

What you're saying is inherently couched in Right Wing rhetoric.

"If only that homeless person would pick themselves up by their bootstraps they'd realize they have all this opportunity and privilege!"

That's not what I was saying at all. Crocodile pretty much explains how intersectionality works. You can't look at privilege like a end all be all.

Wamb0wneD

You don't have anything that makes it impossible to be racist. It's impossible because racism is in all cultures and society and it affects the average person differently whether they have diet racism to full blown MAGA racism.

I get it, you feel you're not racist and that's fine but the fact you believe you have done zero wrong or will ever is foolish.

So everyone is racist, including me, you, everyone. Ok.

That's not what I was saying at all.

That's exactly what you are saying, since a white homeless person enjoying privilege would mean they could make use of said privilege, meaning bootstraps and shit.
The fact that person can't means he's not enjoying any privilege.

Ash735

Where the hell has this thread gone? Some of you are sat here behind your computer's/laptops/smart phones actually arguing about the "privilege" of homeless people. This is fucking ridiculous.

Miles X

So everyone is racist, including me, you, everyone. Ok.

As well as homophobic, sexist, ageist ect. How bad must you feel man?

Where the hell has this thread gone? Some of you are sat here behind your computer's/laptops/smart phones actually arguing about the "privilege" of homeless people. This is fucking ridiculous.

As ridiculous as saying all white people are racist. It's to make a point that not everybody is priviliged, or racist.

Or I mean people could get over themselves and be less triggered over dumb stuff? As a straight, able-bodied male, I tend not to scream "not all men" or other nonsense when groups of people who share my characteristics are criticized.

And the crux of this discussion is that the woman in OP went from "not all white people" to "actually yeah all white people and most people of color as well."

All you did was link me to an article that espouses the same shallow and ill considered politics.

I'm sorry, but not being able to hail a cab is no where near the equivalent to growing up on the brink of starvation.

"I may not eat today, but at least I know that, if I had the money to hail a cab, I wouldn't have any trouble doing so."

See, this is where you're mistaken. All forms of poverty are bad. This is not a competition, nor will it ever be. There should not be a metric of "how poor" someone has to be before discussing issues of class privilege. Further, the idea that someone has to have had it the absolute worst out of everyone to speak about privilege is a myth.

No one in this thread said that the poor homeless White man and the poor homeless MoC should duke it out in terms of who is more privileged. The point is that, no matter what, you can draw the distinctions of your varying levels of
privilege in your life. That's okay. That's a stepping stone.

Homeless White people do not have the capital power that richer White people have; but, they can still acknowledge that they hold racial privileges that PoC do not have. The end goal is to not to make you feel bad.

Ponn

Banned

Lots of Trump supporters agree with you. They also don't believe white privilege or institutional racism exists.

Top Bottom