• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

L.A. Confidential was released 20 years this week

It's still
shocking to me when Kevin Spacey's character gets killed.

Great movie.

I remember the whole theater jumping a bit when that happened. It is out of nowhere and during a calm scene, so it catches you off guard.

The film is so good, and gets better on each viewing, because you see that all the clues are there.

My only complaint is that I think they should have ended the film at this moment:
WlV1i9XZJ78x.jpg

However, I understand why they continued after that. They have to show how even Ed is not above some level of corruption and coverup.

thenexus6

Seeing this thread yesterday reminded me that i've never seen this but always wanted to so I rented it last night. What a fantastic film.

kyser73

definitely a top 10 film for me. only thing that still bothers me is when guy pierces characters sleeps with kim basinger, seemed out of no where and out of character. but flawless besides that.

Completely in character.

Despite his intelligence & detection skills, Exley feels in White's shadow and sees sleeping with Bracken as one-upping White, whereas we know that her acquiescence is part of Dudley's wider scheme to create conflict between White & Exley, whom he knows if they share notes he'll be fucked...which is exactly what happens.

Ellroy uses the same character tripartite in the Underworld USA trilogy too -

Vincennes/Kemper Boyd
Exley/Ward Littel
White/Bondurant

OT - still one of my favourite movies. Nothing wasted, superlative performances and it looks SO good.

Top Bottom