• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Noire New Gameplay Footage taken from Tribeca Film Festival

Edit:

Here is the full video:
http://n4g.com/news/751509/la-noire-gameplay-from-ps3-version-leaked/com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XqLyB9DCDE

Here is a preview of the case being played:
http://slumz.boxden.com/f13/l-noire-full-hands-preview-1531963/

215265_188570481189847_100001106904483_457651_445848_n.jpg

221605_188569934523235_100001106904483_457646_5726900_n.jpg

Lock if old please.

LQX

I'm going to have a a lot of fun driving around that city. Glad they made achievement for driving every car.

Fjordson

Looks great. I wonder if that music that comes on is part of a radio station? Though it sounds like police radio chatter can also be heard at a few spots.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've paid next to no attention to this game. From the reactions of others, I'm going to be pleasantly surprised. Didn't know it was out in just a few weeks or so. Time flies.

I sure hope the story and investigations are as good as hyped because those graphics look pretty mediocre and the controls look as sloppy and sluggish as a typical R* game this gen. Still somewhat excited for it though.

Ickman3400 said:
I sure hope the story and investigations are as good as hyped because those graphics look pretty mediocre and the controls look as sloppy and sluggish as a typical R* game this gen. Still somewhat excited for it though.

But the driving controls were the best part of GTAIV.

Ickman3400 said:
Better control more like RDR than GTA4. Looks horribly sluggish tho

Ploid 3.0

Reminds me of a more serious realistic GTA4. Still waiting on this to impress me, too bad that guy had to stop recording. I wonder if they changed stuff around to make it more like GTA4. I remember the game sounding a lot more interesting in the beginning. Well that was before GTA4 hit, and the thought of a realistic sandbox sounded interesting.

Squire

Banned
So crazy to hear Galloway mention "Belmont and Glendale". I live in LA. I went to middle school in Glendale and Belmont High was my high school's rival football team. LA based gaming press might be the most enthusiastic about LA Noire in the end.

Not that, that probably hasn't been theorized since the start.

Grinchy

Banned
I won't make any crazy conclusions about the game based on a guy driving down the street, but it looks like it's holding up nicely. I'm really liking the facial animation, and the voice acting in the car was ok. The graphics, judged by off-screen cam footage, looked to be a step up from GTA4 at least. I get the feeling there won't be much of a vertical element to the world, unfortunately. I hope I'm wrong.

This is kind a of a bizarre dilemma, but I'm having a hard time choosing to devote time/money to playing either this or Mortal Kombat. I won't have the opportunity to play either title until LA Noire comes out.

I almost want to play this game purely to see Rockstar's interpretation of Los Angeles architecture.

Squire

Banned
Jimmy Stav said:
I almost want to play this game purely to see Rockstar's interpretation of Los Angeles architecture.

It's a recreation as opposed to an interpretation. Bondi used photos and records from the city's history. I've already seen spots in the trailers and teasers I can walk to today that look pretty much the same (in terms of the passage of time), believe it or not.

If the rumors about GTA V are true, that's when you get Rockstar's take on the city.

And you can bet it would parody every issue we've ever dealt with.

JaseC

Jimmy Stav said:
This is kind a of a bizarre dilemma, but I'm having a hard time choosing to devote time/money to playing either this or Mortal Kombat. I won't have the opportunity to play either title until LA Noire comes out.

MK will hit the bargain bin quicker than LA Noire, I would imagine.

Inorigo said:
It's a recreation as opposed to an interpretation. Bondi used photos and records from the city's history. I've already seen spots in the trailers and teasers I can walk to today that look pretty much the same (in terms of the passage of time), believe it or not.

If the rumors about GTA V are true, that's when you get Rockstar's take on the city.

And you can bet it would parody every issue we've ever dealt with.

Fuck, I can't wait. I adore LA's downtown.

I'm confused as to why the excitement seems comparatively low for this game. Is it just the animation, or what?

JaseC

Jimmy Stav said:
Fuck, I can't wait. I adore LA's downtown.

I'm confused as to why the excitement seems comparatively low for this game. Is it just the animation, or what?

Managed expectations, maybe? Virtually every GAFer and his/her dog acts as though they got burned by GTAIV, and many are of the opinion that RDR, while better, still wasn't what they were after from a "next-gen" R* game.

Fjordson

JBuccCP said:
Just once I'd like to see one of your companions say "Fuck you I'm driving".
Well, you can tell your partner to drive and just skip forward to the crime scene (or not skip ahead and listen to the dialogue, just from the passenger's seat).
Jimmy Stav said:
I think people around GAF know that it's trying to do something new and are waiting to see if it delivers on its lofty goals. That and the fact that it's not actually being developed by Rockstar. All I see everywhere else is "Can't wait! I love Rockstar!" which is probably exactly what R* is hoping for.

Personally, I don't get the animation digs. Looks smooth to me.

Fjordson said:
I think people around GAF know that it's trying to do something new and are waiting to see if it delivers on its lofty goals. That and the fact that it's not actually being developed by Rockstar. All I see everywhere else is "Can't wait! I love Rockstar!" which is probably exactly what R* is hoping for.

Personally, I don't get the animation digs. Looks smooth to me.

Fair enough--I completely forgot about that part.

Inorigo: Thanks, I really miss living in LA.

Squire

Banned
Jimmy Stav said:
Inorigo: Thanks, I really miss living in LA.

No problem! Personally, I feel like a lot of people are down on the concept alone because it's like, "Oh, LA, whatever!". I know LA is like a festering cesspool of culture; fair enough. But this is about one of the most interesting periods in the city's history: the birth of Hollywood; of the film industry at large. The good and bad that came with it.

I am embarrassed that this was showcased at a damn film festival. I love games and am all for "games as art" but come on.

And I really want to play it, too!

Squire

Banned
Night_Trekker said:
I am embarrassed that this was showcased at a damn film festival. I love games and am all for "games as art" but come on.

And I really want to play it, too!

So to recap:
  • You agree games are art
  • You're excited to play the game.

I get that the game probably shouldn't be at a film festival just based on the fact it's not a film, but what is there to be embarrassed about?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
So if this is not an open world game i wonder what will happen if you go/drive somewhere, where you should not be. Will an invisible wall stop you?

Squire

Banned
Sn4ke_911 said:
So if this is not an open world game i wonder what will happen if you go/drive somewhere, where you should not be. Will an invisible wall stop you?

It is OW. They recreated like 8 square miles.

I'm still a touch concerned with how Bondi/Rockstar is handling the town and exploration. Much of what we've seen so far looks fairly linear. And face it, if they're trying to convey a sense of realism and urgency that would come with being a detective on a murder case, the option to fuck off for ten hours and randomly explore the city seems somewhat odd. Hopefully they'll properly balance the missions across the map, allowing for ample exploration time between leads.

antispin

disappeared said:
I'm still a touch concerned with how Bondi/Rockstar is handling the town and exploration. Much of what we've seen so far looks fairly linear. And face it, if they're trying to convey a sense of realism and urgency that would come with being a detective on a murder case, the option to fuck off for ten hours and randomly explore the city seems somewhat odd. Hopefully they'll properly balance the missions across the map, allowing for ample exploration time between leads.

I share this concern.

JaseC

disappeared said:

Haven't they said that there'll be times where you're not working on a case and you're free to explore?

disappeared said:

I highly doubt they'll be "pushing" players toward cases except in certain situations. If you want to create that urgency, do it yourself.

I apologize in advance to everyone on NeoGAF for even bringing this subject up in a thread not devoted to it. I hope it won't spiral out of control and ruin the thread.

Inorigo said:
  • You agree games are art

No. I'm not claiming that "games are art" at all, though I'm all for the possibility that a game could be art. And I do think that once people collectively get their heads out of their asses, there are some games already in existence that will retroactively be described as such.

I know this showcase is really all about the tech, about how exciting it is and what it could mean for the future of both film and video game development as the same technology is used in both and the lines between film and video games sorta blur further than they already have, and that's cool and all. And I also recognize this showcase is actually just marketing bullshit.

But the game's presence at any film festival, even a very commercial one, still seems to imply something about the status of L.A. Noire before it has been released, experienced, and criticized by people who know what they're talking about (and, by the way, I don't think traditional video game critics are those people, necessarily). LAN is in a medium that a ton of people don't even agree is an artistic medium. And yet it's being showcased at a film festival.

It just seems presumptuous and... I don't know, gaudy. I mean, L.A. Noire could come out, everyone could play it, and then we could all collectively go, "Wow... outside of the animation techniques, this was a derivative piece of shit!" We don't really know much about it, but: film festival! That's kinda of embarrassing to me, as someone who sees a lot of honest storytelling potential in video games but also sees a lot of attention and praise being directed toward games that do not (or in this case, might not) deserve it. That's all I meant.

Now back to the thread already in progress...

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Easily my most anticipated game of all-time. Really can't believe this is coming out next month.

As Inorigo has been saying, it really seems to be the first game with a deep, abiding reverence for the city, and doesn't treat it as window dressing or an excuse to condescend. On top of that, I think the progression will be more naturally suited for a game than any other Rockstar game as of recent.

Top Bottom