• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Noire New Gameplay Footage taken from Tribeca Film Festival

Vinterbird said:
Why not? Thats great for people who struggle at a certain sequence. Every gets to experience the important part of the game, the narrative, so thats a good thing.

The point is not to reward stupidity with an everyone wins button.

Stuck? Quit whining and figure it out.

I'd rather games stayed as games, not visual novels.

And i'd rather games kept some challenge, and not had IWIN buttons.

I know I don't have to skip it and for me it's optional, but I see it as setting a bad example that other devs may follow.

Dan Yo

Banned
Inorigo said:
I get that the game probably shouldn't be at a film festival just based on the fact it's not a film, but what is there to be embarrassed about?
I guess it makes him a little embarrassed about his hobby to hear that one of the most prominent teams in the industry is a little embarrassed about either what they do or the audience that likes games, to the point that they feel they need to go to a film festival with their work rather than a convention or festival for video games.

I suppose I can understand the desire for validation from the more mainstream film audience. All of us gamers are dorks and losers after all.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Everyone is a special little butterfly...

The entire game will be on youtube within 6 hours of its release now. lol

Chinese Electric Batman said:

Sounds fine to me, I've often wished games were more like books, tv shows, music albums.... err I guess everything else! Never has a book refused to let me turn the page because I wanted to skip a section (I don't think I've ever read every single word on a re-read), games should be the same way and I skip TV episodes all the time

Of course the way its being done here, providing a prompt if you fail, seems silly

Ickman3400 said:

Some people don't have the luxury of being stuck on a level for hours at a time. If you don't like it, don't use it. It's there for the people who don't have time for that crap or wants to have a smooth experience.

Vinterbird said:
Why not? Thats great for people who struggle at a certain sequence. Every gets to experience the important part of the game, the narrative, so thats a good thing.

Are you saying in general narrative is more important than gameplay or are you being specific to this game?

abundant

Kintaro said:
Everyone is a special little butterfly...

The entire game will be on youtube within 6 hours of its release now. lol

You can only skip the action missions (car chases, shootouts, fist fights). All the investigation/interviewing/interrogation gameplay can't be skipped.

Are you saying in general narrative is more important than gameplay or are you being specific to this game?

In a perfect world, that would be a yes. But as gaming is now, the ludology of video games is still the dominant form of expression within the medium. Some games have tried to move beyond it, and with mixed success.

Not saying every game needs to be a love letter to narratology and its mantra, but there is room for games where story is the main focus, and where the game part of it should not be the priority for the player of the game.

L.A. Noire is heavily focused on the narrative experience, the acting and the overall atmosphere Team Bondi is bringing into the game, and in that situation, I would say that story has a higher priority then gameplay.

Vinterbird said:
Some people don't have the luxury of being stuck on a level for hours at a time. If you don't like it, don't use it. It's there for the people who don't have time for that crap or wants to have a smooth experience.

Don't get stuck for "hours" at a time and don't play a game if you don't have the time to put into it. Games shouldn't have to become movies because people have poor time management skills.

Ickman3400 said:
Don't get stuck for "hours" at a time and don't play a game if you don't have the time to put into it. Games shouldn't have to become movies because people have poor time management skills.

Again. The hardcore gamer can still just play the game as normal. If you're pressed for time, have a family, kids or anything that a typical 23 year old student doesn't have, it's a nice little feature for those people.

You are getting punished for this. If you don't like it, don't use it. Same as with the Super Guide on Wii games, or in RDR. It's just an option.

Vinterbird said:
Again. The hardcore gamer can still just play the game as normal. If you're pressed for time, have a family, kids or anything that a typical 23 year old student doesn't have, it's a nice little feature for those people.

You are getting punished for this. If you don't like it, don't use it. Same as with the Super Guide on Wii games, or in RDR. It's just an option.

I won't use it but I don't like giving people a trophy just for participating so to speak. It's weak and encourages laziness.

Also I'm a bit tired of the family excuse. A person decided to get married or have kids so he/she should have known ALL of the consequences of what having those come with, including less free time. Therefore he/she should adapt, not the rest of the world.

How does it effect you if it has an I WIN button? God forbid developers want more people to be able to see the game through from start to finish. If you don't like it, don't use it. If you don't use it, it doesn't effect you. It does, however, give my wife, who gets physically sick by anything shooting wise in games due to extreme motion sickness, a chance to play and complete a game she is extremely interested in.

Any baseless assumption for the future of games based on some having features like this is nothing more than that for the time being.

jtrov

I never understood why people dislike games for giving players options. I know it's a feature I'll never use, but how does someone else using it ruin my experience? It's completely optional, and it says nothing about the game being dumbed down, or easy, because if that were the case, than why would they need a "skip" option. I envy developers for thinking of ways to help ensure more people can enjoy their game, while keeping the difficulty the same.

RevDM

Banned
about this game, will you get to mess around when not following the story like you can in GTA? (running over pedestrians, being chased by cops etc).

Angry Fork

jtrov said:
I never understood why people dislike games for giving players options. I know it's a feature I'll never use, but how does someone else using it ruin my experience? It's completely optional, and it says nothing about the game being dumbed down, or easy, because if that were the case, than why would they need a "skip" option. I envy developers for thinking of ways to help ensure more people can enjoy their game, while keeping the difficulty the same.
The problem is if it turns out that the majority of people end up using the skip option, then there's a possibility they'll start designing the missions to be easy from the get-go and then get rid of the skip option, but then we'll be stuck with easy casual missions. I think it's safe to say this has already been started with a lot of games.
RevDM said:
about this game, will you get to mess around when not following the story like you can in GTA? (running over pedestrians, being chased by cops etc).
I'd like to know this also. I wish Gaf had a Rockstar community poster guy like some other dev's have so they could answer easy questions.

Angry Fork said:
The problem is if it turns out that the majority of people end up using the skip option, then there's a possibility they'll start designing the missions to be easy from the get-go and then get rid of the skip option, but then we'll be stuck with easy casual missions. I think it's safe to say this has already been started with a lot of games.

I'd like to know this also. I wish Gaf had a Rockstar community poster guy like some other dev's have so they could answer easy questions.

Could you name the games with easy casual missions that are a result of this please?

jtrov said:

As I said it encourages laziness and quitting which this country (US) already has way too much of. "Hmm I'm stuck. Do I keep working and overcome my barrier or do I give up and skip it?" I know it's a game so in the grand scheme of things it's probably not a massive deal but where do we stop? A lot of sports leagues already give trophies to everyone whether they win or not.

People need to stop being given ways out on their problems and learn to be better and overcome them. They'll be better people for it, even with something as small as this game.

abundant

Ickman3400 said:
I won't use it but I don't like giving people a trophy just for participating so to speak. It's weak and encourages laziness.

Again, you can only skip action missions. The bulk of the game (investigating and interrogation) can't be skipped. So even if you skip the action missions, you still have to do all the investigating and interrogation gameplay, thus you can't just skip missions and get the Achievement. There are even some achievement that you can't get if you skip the action missions.

jtrov

Angry Fork said:

Wouldn't this happen regardless if their stats show people quit the game only an hour or so in? I recall this being a reason for so many changes to Dragon Age 2, because some stats showed people quit Origins before it really opened up. You can fault developers when that actually happens, but as long as they're giving us options, I see no problem with it. Also, the article states it only pops up after failing the mission a certain number of times (or I could have read it wrong). Also, most people didn't even know combat was in this game until on of the trailers revealed it. So maybe they added such feature after some thought it would be more akin to an adventure game, as opposed to what we're seeing now (Car chases, Hand-to-hand, gun fights, etc...).

I just feel I rather they implement this as an option, then to actually change the gameplay to make the transition smoother, by making it easier. I do see where you're coming from though, which is certainly a scary thought.

Ickman3400 said:
As I said it encourages laziness and quitting which this country (US) already has way too much of. "Hmm I'm stuck. Do I keep working and overcome my barrier or do I give up and skip it?" I know it's a game so in the grand scheme of things it's probably not a massive deal but where do we stop? A lot of sports leagues already give trophies to everyone whether they win or not.

People need to stop being given ways out on their problems and learn to be better and overcome them. They'll be better people for it, even with something as small as this game.

At the end of the day, it's a video game. People play them for different reasons. You're opinion on how they should be enjoyed is not greater than anyone else. While I may be a hardcore gamer, that doesn't mean they should only accommodate to my taste, especially when they are giving other people an option . What's even more funny, is this even works in reverse. For example, sports games are targeted to a wider audience, yet they give "sim" style players sliders so that they can tweak the game to play more like the actual sport. So, even though someone can turn the difficulty down and score 100 points with Lebron James, it has no bearing my own experience.

Ickman3400 said:

It's a game. It's a form of personal entertainment. A majority of people don't pay $60 for a form of personal entertainment that causes them to get pissed off and frustrated. I mean, I get it. I'm a child of the 80's. Gamer through and through. I grew up on ridiculously hard games. But gaming isn't this small niche thing anymore. It's extremely widespread.

Developers are putting things like these in so that they can sell to a wider audience and recoup costs. That's obvious. It's also OK. It gives people more value to the purchase they made, because it's an optional way for those that might not be accustomed to gaming to still experience one.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I'm really surprised they haven't thought up something more cinematic and engaging for the driving-to-location-X-with-partner parts. Some sort of spilt screen effect with interesting camera angles or something would make those parts really stand out and more rewarding IMO. And, of course, just make it optional in settings. Too much work? Then just do it for the most pivotal conversations.

Here's a stupid example:

2Wr4C.jpg

Angry Fork

140.85 said:
I'm really surprised they haven't thought up something more cinematic and engaging for the driving-to-location-X-with-partner parts. Some sort of spilt screen effect with interesting camera angles or something would make those parts really stand out and more rewarding IMO. And, of course, just make it optional in settings.

Here's a stupid example:

2Wr4C.jpg
Definitely. This kind of thing is getting old and I hope they do something about it. I wish they let you have a camera in the car but in the backseat in the middle, peering forward through the windshield, so you'd be able to see where you're driving and there would also be the 2 characters to the left and right gesturing and speaking etc. It would be much more immersive and entertaining than seeing nothing inside the car.

140.85 said:
I'm really surprised they haven't thought up something more cinematic and engaging for the driving-to-location-X-with-partner parts. Some sort of spilt screen effect with interesting camera angles or something would make those parts really stand out and more rewarding IMO. And, of course, just make it optional in settings. Too much work? Then just do it for the most pivotal conversations.

Here's a stupid example:

2Wr4C.jpg

I would find it good enough if they did it just like that. No not with the game characters on the bottom, I mean playing scenes from Pulp Fiction while you drive. It would be amazing, though I would crash all over the place due to not watching the road.

People are really complaining about the skip feature? Just add an achievement for beating the game with no skips. Problem solved.

Anyways... what system are you guys buying this for?

Wizman23

Banned
Unfortunately its a Rockstar game so expect dishonest/ paid off reviews. Other then the cool tech with the animations, nothing shown off so far has shown any intriguing gameplay whatsoever.

nismogrendel said:
People are really complaining about the skip feature? Just add an achievement for beating the game with no skips. Problem solved.

Anyways... what system are you guys buying this for?

PS3 if I can get a new one by release. It seems to actually be the lead version for once and it comes with an extra investigation. Might even get it at gamestop for another extra mission, though Amazon is giving a $10 credit and I think a $50 credit for 160gb ps3s.

abundant

nismogrendel said:
Both LA Noire and RDR have that achievement. Reach 100% Game Completion. In RDR (and more than likely in LA Noire) if you skipped a mission, you don't get credit for it, so in order to get 100% Game Completion, you had to replay the skipped mission and complete it.

Ickman3400 said:
As I said it encourages laziness and quitting which this country... blah blah blah train wreck from hell
what in the name of jesus is this whiny soapbox load of dump doing in a video game thread in a video game forum? Someone please explain to me this mentality - because you don't have enough time to dedicate yourself to a VIDEO GAME or wasn't a bored child who dedicated his abundant free time as a kid to hone "leet gaming skills" in front of a television screen for hours on end, that makes you lazy.

DeadTrees

Ickman3400 said:

Or just visit GameFAQs.

Oops, now you have something new to whine about.

Ickman3400 said:
A person decided to get married or have kids so he/she should have known ALL of the consequences of what having those come with, including less free time. Therefore he/she should adapt, not the rest of the world.
Hoooooleeee sheeeeet.

Angry Fork said:

I propose the exact opposite. The skip function will give them leeway to make even harder missions, knowing that those who can't finish them will skip them anyway and the "hardcore" get the challenge they so desire. It's fun to speculate.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I really hadn't been paying attention to this game at all until I saw this, and wow, it looks pretty awesome. I'm glad I just now 'discovered' the game, since I don't have to wait very long until its release!

I'd rather games stayed as games, not visual novels.

And i'd rather games kept some challenge, and not had IWIN buttons.

I know I don't have to skip it and for me it's optional, but I see it as setting a bad example that other devs may follow.
Well, there are lots of those games . . . don't buy this one.

I like a good narrative thrown in with good gameplay.

I loved Bioshock . . . and it was a decent FPS game but where it really shined was with narrative, characters, atmosphere, etc. Without all that, it would have just been another shooter.

I hope LA Noire is as good as a lot of this pre-release hype suggests.

140.85 said:
Some sort of spilt screen effect with interesting camera angles or something would make those parts really stand out and more rewarding IMO. And, of course, just make it optional in settings. Too much work? Then just do it for the most pivotal conversations.

Here's a stupid example:

2Wr4C.jpg
That . . . is a good idea.

I bet someone uses that idea.

CrunchyFrog said:
I propose the exact opposite. The skip function will give them leeway to make even harder missions, knowing that those who can't finish them will skip them anyway and the "hardcore" get the challenge they so desire. It's fun to speculate.

That didn't exactly happen in nsmb wii.

140.85 said:

Here's a stupid example:

2Wr4C.jpg

Would we too taxing on current hardware I think. You are pretty much rendering the game world twice from 2 difference angles.

Wizman23 said:
Unfortunately its a Rockstar game so expect dishonest/ paid off reviews. Other then the cool tech with the animations, nothing shown off so far has shown any intriguing gameplay whatsoever.

You do understand that all of the interrogations, and investigations are gameplay right? If those don't interest you, you're looking at the wrong game.

R* will just buy Team Bondi.

Same thing with every other studio, DMA ---> North, Angel ---> San Diego, Barking Dog ---> Vancouver.

kylej

Banned
Zoso said:
Intuition points, replaying cases, & now skipping action scenes? At least they're all optional, but it seriously sounds like they're trying to make this way too easy.

I want the cases to be hard.

They're trying to make it fun. Most people don't spend their day posting on video game forums and arguing about which Metal Gear is the best.

Can anyone re-host?

Ickman3400 said:
That didn't exactly happen in nsmb wii.
I seem to recall a number of people saying that NSMBWii was one of the hardest mario platformers to date. DKCR as well. Of course this is entirely opinion, conjecture, speculative fiction, the like.

I totally support the idea of a 'skip action sequence' button, or have the game play it out for you, because as narrative becomes more important, developers run the risk of spending lots of time and money on a sequence that a lot of players may not get to.

Somebody else mentioned books, movies, and music, and it's a direction that many games move towards. When reading a book, if you're in a particularly difficult place, you can still 'read through' that chapter, get to the end of it, and then continue the story... I have zoned out through a lot of extended descriptions in certain books: I am sure there is worth to Proust describing a pretty flower over 47 pages, but sometimes there's just so much you can take, yet you still want to read the book. The same with a movie or music: I love Wilco's I am Trying to Break Your Heart, but sometimes I don't want to listen to the 4minute aural orgasm of pots and pans banging together with "WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT" reverberating in the background. With music, books, and movies, for difficult sections you know that they're going to end eventually and you can get through them to experience what you want to experience.

With games, if you are stuck on an action sequence that, for whatever reason, you can't get through, then why not add that feature to let certain people skip through. It gives developers an incentive to put as much effort into the ending chapters of a game as the beginning chapters, because with many games, developers have to know that a good portion of their players simply won't get far enough into the game to experience all of the hard work.

Ultimately, if you don't like it, don't use it. If you feel the need, use it.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Inorigo said:
Why are people always so willing to pass on good games for unarguably stupid reasons? Nobody said you had to skip action sequences. You can. If you're such an Action Jackson, then don't skip.
Duh because stories don't belong in games!

Top Bottom