• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Noire New Gameplay Footage taken from Tribeca Film Festival

The locomotion/gameplay elements actually were pretty GTA/RDR-like. At least, the driving "weight" and the walking movements were GTA-like, which is sort of appealing to me. While I was frustrated that Niko ran around like he had a load in his pants, it's predictable and once you get used to it, feels more natural. Although, it still always did feel rather imprecise, but I'm thinking, in a crime drama, that's probably not as important.

Oh and then at one part, the recorder person decides to turn his camera side ways for absolutely no reason.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
you can already do this EXACT same thing in RDR. You can cancel any single story mission in the game and still progress. I fail to see what the difference is here you drama queens. RDR was a SENSATIONAL "gamer's game". To expect this will be any different based on this one thing (that already exists in games) is stupidity in action.

edit - oh yeah, AND you can REPLAY any single mission in RDR... seriously... do you people really not know this?? Nothing being announced here is any different than the game R* JUST released last year.. you know the game that got amazing reviews and everyone said was a great game??

Fjordson

nismogrendel said:
People are really complaining about the skip feature? Just add an achievement for beating the game with no skips. Problem solved.

Anyways... what system are you guys buying this for?
360, but only because I got in on some sort of $50 deal when I pre-ordered a while back on Amazon.

As for the skip feature, I couldn't care less if it's optional. It ain't my business how someone else gets through a game.

borghe said:
you can already do this EXACT same thing in RDR. You can cancel any single story mission in the game and still progress. I fail to see what the difference is here you drama queens. RDR was a SENSATIONAL "gamer's game". To expect this will be any different based on this one thing (that already exists in games) is stupidity in action.

edit - oh yeah, AND you can REPLAY any single mission in RDR... seriously... do you people really not know this?? Nothing being announced here is any different than the game R* JUST released last year.. you know the game that got amazing reviews and everyone said was a great game??

I hated almost every second of it, so I win.

Ickman3400 said:
I won't use it but I don't like giving people a trophy just for participating so to speak. It's weak and encourages laziness.

Also I'm a bit tired of the family excuse. A person decided to get married or have kids so he/she should have known ALL of the consequences of what having those come with, including less free time. Therefore he/she should adapt, not the rest of the world.

Haha! I honestly thought people like this were weeded out on NeoGAF.

Either way, somebody has to have a link of this video? It's been taken down!

borghe

Ickman3400 said:
I hated almost every second of it, so I win.
You hated almost every second of a game like RDR and you are picking this up? You are either very foolish or very umm... I guess I don't know. RDR was unarguably the height of the genre this gen so far, and though this is Team Bondi, it would be ignorant to assume Rockstar didn't have considerable input into this as well. I mean good luck and all, but I am shocked that you "hated" RDR and are still giving this even a sideways glance. But yeah, good luck I suppose.

Regardless though, RDR incorporated exactly what is being talked about here and it didn't affect the game or the level of difficulty in the slightest. So those concerns are seeming rather baseless ATM.

jgminto

borghe said:

Thank God for that feature because I was stuck on one mission because of a bug with the horse carriage so I just skipped ahead to the next section. Then replayed later so it worked. And if there is a bug in LA Noire I'll use it for that too.

Angry Fork said:
Definitely. This kind of thing is getting old and I hope they do something about it. I wish they let you have a camera in the car but in the backseat in the middle, peering forward through the windshield, so you'd be able to see where you're driving and there would also be the 2 characters to the left and right gesturing and speaking etc. It would be much more immersive and entertaining than seeing nothing inside the car.

Police Quest 2 did that back in 1988.

Police%20Quest%202%20-%20The%20Vengeance_3.gif

Had some great dialog between Sonny and Keith, and kept things interesting when chasing leads.

borghe said:
You hated almost every second of a game like RDR and you are picking this up? You are either very foolish or very umm... I guess I don't know. RDR was unarguably the height of the genre this gen so far, and though this is Team Bondi, it would be ignorant to assume Rockstar didn't have considerable input into this as well. I mean good luck and all, but I am shocked that you "hated" RDR and are still giving this even a sideways glance. But yeah, good luck I suppose.

Regardless though, RDR incorporated exactly what is being talked about here and it didn't affect the game or the level of difficulty in the slightest. So those concerns are seeming rather baseless ATM.

This game is nothing like gta 4 and RDR thankfully otherwise I wouldn't pick it up. I know what kind of game I'm getting here unlike what R* was telling me I was going to get with RDR only to find a giant empty boring land with a couple different missions the entire game (like gta4!).

Ickman3400 said:
I know what kind of game I'm getting here unlike what R* was telling me I was going to get with RDR only to find a giant empty boring land with a couple different missions the entire game (like gta4!).

Then you obviously had no idea what the old west was, or what the lay of the land was like back in turn of the century. What did you expect?

disappeared said:
Police Quest 2 did that back in 1988.

Police%20Quest%202%20-%20The%20Vengeance_3.gif

Had some great dialog between Sonny and Keith, and kept things interesting when chasing leads.

Make sure you type "look both ways" before crossing the street. And why was Sonny blonde?

McLovin

Man I really don't get why they took this video down. "Whats that?! Someone is advertising our game?!! For free??!!.... and people are trying to see it as we speak?!! Copyright infringe that shit ASAP!!"

borghe

Ickman3400 said:
This game is nothing like gta 4 and RDR thankfully otherwise I wouldn't pick it up. I know what kind of game I'm getting here unlike what R* was telling me I was going to get with RDR only to find a giant empty boring land with a couple different missions the entire game (like gta4!).
While I don't disagree with the vastness and emptiness of it, as has been pointed out... That's the old west. Not quite sure why you would expect it to be different (gta 4 of course is a different story). To each their own though. My only point was the mechanic being talked about here had no bearing on the difficulty of RDR, so there is no reason to imagine it will have a bearing here. If this game is easy or not, it won't be because you cam skip missions.

Haunted

McLovin said:
Man I really don't get why they took this video down. "Whats that?! Someone is advertising our game?!! For free??!!.... and people are trying to see it as we speak?!! Copyright infringe that shit ASAP!!"
srsly

Damn those marketing timelines. The bigger the company, the less flexible these are.

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
Make sure you type "look both ways" before crossing the street. And why was Sonny blonde?
It was a hold-over from Police Quest 1. At the end of the first game, Sonny needed to go undercover and infiltrate Bains' poker game, a job that required him to shift his appearance by dyeing his hair blonde. Of course, it was entirely pointless, since Bains still recognized him from a newspaper photo. But...
Waitaminute, these games are almost 25 years old, why am I spoiler-tagging this stuff? *Checks the statute of limitations*

EDIT: Actually, if you think Sonny looks odd, you should see the Japanese version of Police Quest II. They completely changed the character designs.
http://hg101.kontek.net/policequest/policequest.htm
2u794yx.png

hmm some people...I don't get how you could hate RDR (the best of the best in it's genre) and get LA Noire. Juniors these days...

Anyways, fuck that guy! I'm pumped for this game! :D

Rockstar (I know they aren't developing this, but you'd be silly not to think they threw in a bunch of input and work themselves) is really taking it to a whole new level with their games. GTA IV was the worst they put out this generation, and that's a big achievement.

Hopefully Team Bondi can actually put out a game that plays solid for once (which I think they finally will with this) and Rockstar can snatch them up as a one of their new branches.

(p.s. RDR was supposed to be huge, vast, and desolate. It's the goddamn untamed west! What did you expect?! It's all about exploration and the experience of being on your own against the wilderness/elements/random ass crazy people you meet)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Ben Pierce said:
hmm some people...I don't get how you could hate RDR (the best of the best in it's genre) and get LA Noire. Juniors these days...

Really? You really can't see the major differences between the two games and why a person would gravitate towards LA Noire over RDR? You must be blind as fuck.

Let me see...

1) You're not a criminal. Which makes a huge difference in narrative.
2) You interrogate suspects and such to unravel clues.
3) Investigating crime scenes for clues.
4) Work your way through the ranks through a variety of different departments.

RDR is basically GTA in the wild west with an equally poor storyline and empty ass environments with more "shit to do" (collect and do pointless shit).

You honestly can't see how the two games are different on even a fundamental level?

Ben Pierce said:

Anyways, fuck that guy! I'm pumped for this game! :D

You really shouldn't insult someone when you can't even grasp something as simple as someone not liking RDR of all games.

Members these days...

Zero-Crescent said:
It was a hold-over from Police Quest 1. At the end of the first game, Sonny needed to go undercover and infiltrate Bains' poker game, a job that required him to shift his appearance by dyeing his hair blonde. Of course, it was entirely pointless, since Bains still recognized him from a newspaper photo. But...
Waitaminute, these games are almost 25 years old, why am I spoiler-tagging this stuff? *Checks the statute of limitations*

EDIT: Actually, if you think Sonny looks odd, you should see the Japanese version of Police Quest II. They completely changed the character designs.
http://hg101.kontek.net/policequest/policequest.htm
2u794yx.png

Oh yeah, I forgot about the PQ1 stuff where he
dyed his hair. I like spoiler tagging stuff.

He looks kind of like the Hero from QFG in the Japanese pic.

DeadTrees

Ickman3400 said:
I know what kind of game I'm getting here
Based on what? Other than a few leaks, there's nothing to go on except the no-more-than-three-seconds-of-footage-at-a-time trailers.

unlike what R* was telling me I was going to get with RDR only to find a giant empty boring land with a couple different missions the entire game (like gta4!).
"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." I don't think there's a third part to that.

DeadTrees said:
Based on what? Other than a few leaks, there's nothing to go on except the no-more-than-three-seconds-of-footage-at-a-time trailers.

Core game is based around investigations with car parts and on foot action sprinkled in. It's open world and random side cases pop up on your radio which you can do and not have to worry about losing progress on a core case.

You can take people's cars by flashing your badge though it's unclear if you can mow people down (i hope not). I know plenty about this game.

140.85 said:
I'm really surprised they haven't thought up something more cinematic and engaging for the driving-to-location-X-with-partner parts. Some sort of spilt screen effect with interesting camera angles or something would make those parts really stand out and more rewarding IMO. And, of course, just make it optional in settings. Too much work? Then just do it for the most pivotal conversations.

Here's a stupid example:

2Wr4C.jpg
what an awesome fucking wowsome idea. Tech might not be there yet, but I'd love to see this someday.

People complaining about the skip feature are... well, silly. The skip feature existing literally has no effect on you whatsoever. None. At all. Just play the game and don't worry about all that jazz. Everyone can still have fun with the game.

I am looking forward to LA Noire for a couple of reasons... for one, you get to play as the good guy. I've always been annoyed by GTA games a little, cause I hate playing as vicious sociopathic nuts. RDR was a step in the right direction, for me anyways... cause I played that as a good guy, and that was one of the reasons I really enjoyed it. Or, a mostly good guy. Also, solving crime, chasing down serial killers, fighting corruption, this all really interesting stuff. As long as the gameplay and central narrative hold up and doesn't have a meandering second act like in RDR, then I think it'll turn out awesome.

Kintaro said:
Really? You really can't see the major differences between the two games and why a person would gravitate towards LA Noire over RDR? You must be blind as fuck.

Let me see...

RDR is basically GTA in the wild west with an equally poor storyline and empty ass environments with more "shit to do" (collect and do pointless shit).

You honestly can't see how the two games are different on even a fundamental level?

1) Not really a criminal in RDR either. John Marsten WAS a criminal but you play him in the story as someone working for the law. Perhaps, not by his rules, but regardless, he is a lawman of sorts. And someone concerned with justice. Just like in LA Noire.

2) You do interrogate suspects, but not in the same way. It' all in cutscenes. But you unravel clues to find the man that you are hunting down. Albeit, in a different way, but nonetheless.

3) No investigating in RDR. Unless you can say shooting people is a way of investigating them.

4) Could you say you work your way up in rank in RDR? You do in terms of the way people perceive you based on your actions. You also work your way through people higher up on the ladder to find who you're looking for.

Shit, they may be pretty similar.

Really, I know they're mechanically different-- majorly in the inspection of crime scenes and interrogation, but they do have similarities. It's not that far out to say if you like RDR, you would have a good chance of liking LA Noire. Hell, it's easy to say if you liked GTA IV you'll like LA Noire.

Rockstar hasn't disappointed me yet this gen, so I'm pretty excited.

I also LOVED The Getaway, so I'm even more
Excited about the team behind this.

I'm on a media blackout but does anybody know if you can go bad cop during the interrogations?

140.85 said:
Here's a stupid example:

2Wr4C.jpg

If you take a taxi with a partner in GTA IV in missions where it's allowed to take taxis, you can already get this kind of effect. Not exactly but still. You should try it out.

RevDM said:
about this game, will you get to mess around when not following the story like you can in GTA? (running over pedestrians, being chased by cops etc).

Unfortunately yes. There's even a trophy for it like RDR did with "Dastardly". As stated before by me I will role play the fuck out of this to avoid these kind of unfitting situations.

CoffeeJanitor said:
Sounds like GTA.

This game is.err...You can skip portions of the game or something, what's up with that?

Taking the Alone in The Dark DVD-route it seems.

I think this stuff is a brilliant move for players who aren't very good at playing games but want a point and click style laidback detective adventure.

Also because missions can be replayed for better scores and to make other choices, you can skip all the action filler.

Seems like a great addition to me and if you don't like, just don't use it. Accessibility is king and one of the things this generation got right to an extent.

StevePharma said:
Taking the Alone in The Dark DVD-route it seems.

I think this stuff is a brilliant move for players who aren't very good at playing games but want a point and click style laidback detective adventure.

Also because missions can be replayed for better scores and to make other choices, you can skip all the action filler.

Seems like a great addition to me and if you don't like, just don't use it. Accessibility is king and one of the things this generation got right to an extent.
I would agree, although it's stupid the way they're pushing it. It seems to have more to do with the player being engrossed in the story than accessibility, which I think is BS, but whatever.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
L.A. Noire Sucks!

...you in!

L.A. Noire sucks in the gamer, in a way that is refreshing, to the extent where the mystery of the blanks become a distinct requirement destined to be filled in. It's a game which sucks to the point where, you won't be content taking a break and waiting, you'll want to see it through, you'll stop at nothing until there's some resolution. The game builds up the drama, the tension, the hatred for the criminal, sucks you in, then eschews time itself and leaves you at the precipice of finality. There's a number of games that offer a "one last go" factor, but L.A. Noire provides similar motives, but in a unique way that can only be described as a gripping hand pulling you into its world, placing you into a chair, tightening the knots around bounding ropes, and clasping both hands around your neck for a murderous kill, yet at the same time keeping you well alive to fathom and escape the clever puzzles it presents to you. L.A Noire truly does suck, but for all the right reasons. Perhaps take some time off work come May 20th, because that chair is not going to be easy to escape from.

HYPE

borghe

Kintaro said:

Let me see...

you are a horrible awful person
I wasn't a criminal in RDR. :(

While RDR was the mechanics of GTA in the wild west... it was 10 times a fuller game than GTAIV was. And I despise how people complain about the empty environments in RDR.... Why? Because if they weren't empty IT WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN THE UNCIVILIZED WILD WEST... smh...

but I digress. LA Noire looks outstanding. :)

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
Is it regular for a R* game not to have properly released actual gameplay this close to release?

I'd kind of expected something small, like a side story mission just to show how a fight scene, car chase and the exploration of a scene is like - from start to finish...

So far there has just been glimpses of this in the trailers... :-/

borghe said:
While RDR was the mechanics of GTA in the wild west... it was 10 times a fuller game than GTAIV was. And I despise how people complain about the empty environments in RDR.... Why? Because if they weren't empty IT WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN THE UNCIVILIZED WILD WEST... smh...

It took place in 1911, the Wild West didn't really exist at that time. It was pretty much over. And besides the Wild West wasn't that uncivilized. Most people didn't go around blazing guns, kidnapping, robbing, and whatever other cliches we associate with that nebulous time period. A lot of what has been ingrained in our minds and presented in RDR took place over decades if not more than a century. There was plenty of gun control going on, too. I think the thing they got the most accurate was the Mexican revolution. But overall, most people, like today, wanted to live simple quiet lives and did so as much as anyone could at that time.

Dabanton

Juno said:
Is it regular for a R* game not to have properly released actual gameplay this close to release?

I'd kind of expected something small, like a side story mission just to show how a fight scene, car chase and the exploration of a scene is like - from start to finish...

Is this your first R* game?

They've shown more than enough 'actual gameplay' in the trailers.

If you want actual 'walkthroughs' wait for a week or two when the pirate version will inevitably leak and the pirates put loads of vids up on youtube.

jackrubyn

Juno said:

As I recal, GTA IV gameplay was never shown by Rockstar themselves. The only gameplay I saw before the release were leaked gifs, and this was very close to the release date.
Don't think they ever showed proper RDR gameplay either. Only in engine stuff in videos similar to the L.A. Noire ones that've been shown so far.
But I might be mistaken in the case of RDR.

Dabanton

jackrubyn said:
As I recal, GTA IV gameplay was never shown by Rockstar themselves. The only gameplay I saw before the release were leaked gifs, and this was very close to the release date.
Don't think they ever showed proper RDR gameplay either. Only in engine stuff in videos similar to the L.A. Noire ones that've been shown so far.
But I might be mistaken in the case of RDR.

They showed plenty of gameplay in the RDR 'life in the west' videos.

Squire

Banned
Ben Pierce said:

Oh, trust me; I eagerly anticipate my exit from there number.

Top Bottom