• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Times: Seth MacFarlane Doesn’t “See a Good Reason to Stop” Making ‘Family Guy’

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
LA Times
Hollywood Reporter article that's easier to quote and cuts to the chase
Family Guy is 22 seasons in and it doesn’t look like Seth MacFarlane has any plans to end the beloved animated series anytime soon.
The creator and star of the popular show recently told the Los Angeles Times in a new profile celebrating 25 years since the show initially aired, “At this point, I don’t see a good reason to stop.”
“People still love it,” he said. “It makes people happy and it funds some good causes. It’s a lot of extraneous cash that you can donate to Rainforest Trust and you can still go out to dinner that night.”
MacFarlane continued, “There was a time when I thought, it’s time to wrap it up. At this point, we’ve reached escape velocity. I don’t know that there’s any reason to stop at this point unless people get sick of it. Unless the numbers show that people just are, ‘Eh, we don’t care about Family Guy anymore.’ But that hasn’t happened yet.”
I love Family Guy, and it makes me happy :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:
rde4px.jpg

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
LA Times
Hollywood Reporter article that's easier to quote and cuts to the chase

I love Family Guy, and it makes me happy :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:
rde4px.jpg
I hate this show with all my soul. 😡😡😡

Mistake

I was worried about the show getting too political one way or the other, but it seems to have settled on making fun of everything as it should. My younger coworkers watch a lot, which means they're keeping it fresh

Ribi

It's fucking awful and it's been awful for about 2 seasons after they brought it back. People who think that shit is funny need their brains checked with a hammer

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
It's fucking awful and it's been awful for about 2 seasons after they brought it back. People who think that shit is funny need their brains checked with a hammer

It's really punchliner/stand up material with a dash of slapstick. The issue comes from the connective framework being about as formulaic as humanly possible. There's a reason people love the road trip episodes.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Haven't watched it in a long long time, but I just like to imagine that the guy who originally cancelled it is just waiting to be able to say "I told them it wouldnt last" when it finally goes off air.

I grew up with this show. When it started, the references were mostly 80s TV shows and movies. I've been watching the newer seasons, and it's a lot of 90s/00s callbacks now. It probably means kids younger than me get the same kick out of the show I did back in the day.

Pejo

I preferred American Dad because of Roger and Steve, but Family Guy had some hilarious episodes too.

Ribi

It's really punchliner/stand up material with a dash of slapstick. The issue comes from the connective framework being about as formulaic as humanly possible. There's a reason people love the road trip episodes.
Family guy died when Peter developed that stupid fucking smile. He used to have a dopey face look. Now he looks like "in about to say the stupidest shit and you're gnna laugh because you're also retarded"

Blade2.0

I haven't liked it in quite some time but, I mean, yea. Why would you stip making something that makes your millions per year. No shit you're going to keep it going.

Nydius

Sadly, Family Guy trended into Zombie Simpsons territory for me several years ago. It's a hollow shell of what it once was. I don't begrudge him keeping it going to earn the cash -- just as I don't blame Groening and the people running the Simpsons -- but it's not something I'd actively tune in to watch new episodes of.

Puscifer

Ok maybe not that extreme but I have to agree with you here that the show went into zombie Simpsons mode pretty quick after it came back.

I like American Dad more these days because there's something about it. Maybe that the family unit is intact and they aren't just being inherently mean and offensive? Even when they piss each other and go crazy they find a way to reel it back to keeping them together as a loving family. Plus I give them props, American Dad had to pivot HARD after Bush was out of office and the joke about that level of Americanism was going out of favor since literally everyone wanted out of the Iraq War.

If only him and FOX felt this way about Orville.

We could have had this generation’s version of TNG.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
I grew up with this show. When it started, the references were mostly 80s TV shows and movies. I've been watching the newer seasons, and it's a lot of 90s/00s callbacks now. It probably means kids younger than me get the same kick out of the show I did back in the day.
I'll really feel old when they hit the "Do you remember when Peter went hiking in Japan with Logan Paul ?" joke on season 2306²

Top Bottom