• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn refuses to say he would defend NATO ally being attacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This guy is the Bernie Sanders of U.K.

Except Bernie Sanders succeeded in shifting the direction of US politics left. Recall seeing a thread about Bernie Sanders' campaign saying they got 80% of what they wanted out of Hillary. Corbyn has only succeeded in shifting the Overton window further right. He's a chump who also didn't fight against Vote Leave enough, and meekly accepts it afterwards.

Alo0oy

Banned
Corbyn's big problem is that he seems incapable of working people in the political sphere. Yes, he gets unfair media treatment, and yes, many in the party didn't support him from the start, but as a leader, he needs to be able to nullify that. He hasn't. He has a fanbase of supporters which is impressive, but at the same time, it doesn't look likely that fanbase will win a general election, or any chance of real power. I'd love to be proven wrong, but the hostility is there because the dude keeps pulling these frustrating moves that pretty much ensures a conservative government for the next decade.

Any reasonable person would have stepped aside and kept fighting from their fringes. Instead he's thrown a spanner in the works of achieving any incremental progress.

I don't know, the more I read about him the more puzzling some of the replies here become, he seems to be a person you'd disagree with politically, not a Trump type person.

And the exiled people from my home country that are in the UK seem to adore the guy, I don't get the anger here, when I was reading superficial stuff about him months ago I automatically assumed he was the British Trump because of the reaction from presumably left leaning people. I never thought that the vitriol was because he was a far left person.

Because Corbyn is an unwitting pawn of the right. The Conservatives mock him constantly because they know how useless he is. His rabid cultists are fine with not winning elections and dooming the left for decades. I was once willing to give him a chance. No more. He's given a free reign to the Conservatives to fuck people over for decades.

Maledict

I don't know, the more I read about him the more puzzling some of the replies here become, he seems to be a person you'd disagree with politically, not a Trump type person.

And the exiled people from my home country that are in the UK seem to adore the guy, I don't get the anger here, when I was reading superficial stuff about him months ago I automatically assumed he was the British Trump because of the reaction from presumably left leaning people. I never thought that the vitriol was because he was a far left person.

Despite the persona, Labour has been riven by bullying, bad management and incompetence since he took over. His supporters are fanatics who abuse anyone who talks against him - homophobic language being hurled at one of his challengers, for example. Just because he wears a cardigan and rides a cheap bike doesn't make him a good person, and the events of the last year show that, at the very least, he has surrounded himself by very unpleasant people and his supporters have an extremely unpleasant vile strain.

Alo0oy

Banned
Despite the persona, Labour has been riven by bullying, bad management and incompetence since he took over. His supporters are fanatics who abuse anyone who talks against him - homophobic language being hurled at one of his challengers, for example. Just because he wears a cardigan and rides a cheap bike doesn't make him a good person, and the events of the last year show that, at the very least, he has surrounded himself by very unpleasant people and his supporters have an extremely unpleasant vile strain.

The only supporters I know of him are exiled people from my country, admittedly because I don't know any people from the UK. but they're anything but homophobic, most of them are civil activists or human rights activists that were exiled by the regime because of their work, they spend most of their day campaigning in the UN or to the British Parliament to stop supporting the Bahraini government, maybe they support him because he's been good to them, I don't know.

I should probably research him more as I feel like I'm defending someone I don't know, but some of his supporters being unpleasant isn't really an argument I buy.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
And Remainers hate him for sabotaging the Remain campaign. Rumours abound of him being a secret Brexiter.

He said he was '7.5 out of 10' in favour of staying in the EU. How does that get people to vote to stay in, by saying 'hey the EU sucks but we can change it from within!'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36506163

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ander-corbyn-resign-shadow-cabinet?CMP=twt_gu
Yeah, how dare he state his true opinion plainly and say there are merits and demerits to each choice rather than just following the party line. I hate these honest politicians.

Maledict

The only supporters I know of him are exiled people from my country, admittedly because I don't know any people from the UK. but they're anything but homophobic, most of them are civil activists or human rights activists that were exiled by the regime because of their work, they spend most of their day campaigning in the UN or to the British Parliament to stop supporting the Bahraini government, maybe they support him because he's been good to them, I don't know.

I should probably research him more as I feel like I'm defending someone I don't know, but some of his supporters being unpleasant isn't really an argument I buy.

What on earth does it matter that "you buy it"? It's objective reality? His management of the party has been utterly disgraceful - he is a *terrible* party leader. Missed opportunities, missed events, and absolute piss poor organisation. All he cares about is being opposition leader and a party of protest - he has no plans for government, and isn't interested in forming a government.

Maledict

Yeah, how dare he state his true opinion plainly and say there are merits and demerits to each choice rather than just following the party line. I hate these honest politicians.

I don't think you understand the point of a party platform.

If Corbyn is anti-EU that's fine - but he should fuck off and resign leadership of the labour party in that case. You don't get to lead a party and sabotage your own party's campaign because you disagree with it.

If Corbyn is anti-EU that's fine - but he should fuck off and resign leadership of the labour party in that case. You don't get to lead a party and sabotage your own party's campaign because you disagree with it.

There's also the matter of there only being two options on the Brexit ballot, at the end of the day. I'm sure Cameron had plenty of things he didn't like, or thought needed changing about the EU, but he made up his mind that we were better off In than Out (maybe it was even 7.5 out of 10, who knows?) and campaigned enthusiastically to that effect!

Maybe not a good idea to do that when you are the head of and supposed to be campaigning for that party line.

Not to mention the fact that the referendum was binary - you can only vote to stay or vote to leave, and therefore (however grey-area-in-the-middle your view may be), you have to ultimately come down on one side of the fence. And therefore, you'll only be trying to convince people to vote one way or the other. You can't try to convince people to vote for the middle ground - there isn't one to vote for.

Edit: Yeah, what Quiche said.

There's also the matter of there only being two options on the Brexit ballot, at the end of the day. I'm sure Cameron had plenty of things he didn't like, or thought needed changing about the EU, but he made up his mind that we were better off In than Out (maybe it was even 7.5 out of 10, who knows?) and campaigned enthusiastically to that effect!

Nobody, even the most pro-EU person out there thinks the EU is perfect. Nothing is. You can dislike certain aspects of how a house is constructed, for example, without burning the whole thing down and starting over from nothing. I want the EU Parliament to have a lot more power over the EU, the EU Commission has too much power over the direction of the bloc as a whole but that doesn't make me want to leave. I wouldn't complain about Corbyn's campaign for the EU if he wasn't so damn unenthusiastic. Cameron at least showed passion for the ideal of the EU project.

The problem is that he's got a handful of pet projects that he's got absolutely no problem stating a clear, unequivocal opinion on, but if it's something that doesn't interest him personally, he vacillates like a motherfucker. You don't find him carefully explaining the pros and cons of re-nationalising the railways, for instance.

Only caring about a few issues and not being too fussed about the rest is fine when you're in a safe seat on the backbenches, but as the leader of the opposition you need to have strong, clear opinions on pretty much everything and make clear what your intentions would be if you were to be the leader of the country.

It's not that he answered a question honestly, it's that he fell into an obvious trap and provided an easy soundbite to his opponents.
Politicians answers get quoted, so they have to be careful to keep answers being taken out of context.
Journalists will report "7/10". They will not ask people to listen to the full interview, or stick some multi-paragraph wishy-washy answer in their headline.

The question was not "how good is the EU?", it was "Is the EU better than not being in the EU?"
Note that Cameron gave effectively the same answer (the EU needs reform but it's much better to be in than out) but without giving such stupid soundbites. He was always careful to say something like, "...which is why we need to remain so we can lead the necessary reforms" whenever he said something bad about the EU, so that no-one could easily quote him out of context.

Politics is about convincing people who are undecided, and even those that disagree with you. Corbyn seems to think it's about giving speeches at rally of 5,000 of your most devoted fans. He refused to participate or contribute to any official 'remain' campaign activities and failed to organise any effective Labour remain campaigning.
He seems to have no interest in running a cabinet government, with all the responsibilities and compromises it involves. He's too busy trying to organise an entryist revolution.

I know a lot of Corbyn supporters and they are all very nice people. But getting some facebook posts to go viral is about all that Corbyn can organise. And even then - don't read the comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom