• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn refuses to say he would defend NATO ally being attacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
We reached this terrible point in history where a fullblown armed conflict involving the west is ancient history and the memory of the effectiveness of a defensive coalition is fading, too. I've heard too many alarming things from European politicians in the last years that I didn't think were possible, not only from the left. Pretty concerning to be honest.

Tell me more about the Warsaw pact that Russia signed?
Was it different to the one signed by the Soviet Union in 1955?
So because the Soviet Union changed to Russia, we can ignore everything they did before 1991?

We reached this terrible point in history where a fullblown armed conflict involving the west is ancient history and the memory of the effectiveness of a defensive coalition is fading, too. I've heard too many alarming things from European politicians in the last years that I didn't think were possible, not only from the left. Pretty concerning to be honest.
Pretty much. We in the West have a few generations now that pretty much don't know war or oppression or even the possibility for it. So we don't see how it can pretty quickly return if things go bad.

Goodlife

I'm glad we both agree you concocted a dumb scenario to facilitate your whataboutism.

632669american%20patriot%20logo.jpg

As lovely as that picture is, I'm not sure what it's supposed to mean.
The thread is not about the US. Or eagles. Or eagles inhumanely painted with flag colours.
I am not in the US. I am not an eagle. Or a flag.

crayman

The people who agree with Corbyn on NATO seem to directly equate NATO with the US. So any conversation about what NATO does becomes about what the US does - because they are one and the same.

Which of course doesn't resemble reality - so is very frustrating to argue with.

Kabouter

What I find interesting is how so many self-proclaimed liberals are willing to give Russia the right to determine what does and doesn't happen in neighbouring sovereign states. Think of US foreign policy what you will, and there are plenty of criticisms to be had here, but surely there can be little defence for the Kremlin's insistence that they and they alone determine what happens in neighbouring countries rather than the people in them.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
A commitment to preventive measures is more representative of Corbyn's policies than chin-wag. The second part is implicit with the policies already in place.

Right, but the point of the question is to find out if Corbyn would keep the policies already in place, a quite reasonable question given he has been on record in the past as calling for NATO abolishment. He refused to say. So I wouldn't really say it was implicit - I'm still very unsure as to what he'd actually do, for one.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Well to be fair where I live - Ireland - we're not even a NATO member yet we benefit from NATO protection :p

To be fair, just geographically Ireland is pretty unlikely to be attacked by anyone unless a particularly angry whale pod comes by.

To be fair, just geographically Ireland is pretty unlikely to be attacked by anyone unless a particularly angry whale pod comes by.

Same could be said for Iceland. I mean, they don't even have a military so I dunno what the fuck they're bringing to the table.

benjipwns

Banned
That's still better than mass genocide and starvation every time people try the other option.
This only happens because of Western capitalist sympathizers undermining the proven scientific process of Marxism that a people's democratic dictatorship would bring about.

Plus the U.S. genocided the Indians and people starved during the Dust Bowl.

Alo0oy

Banned
While I don't know a lot about this guy, I can't believe how hostile some people here are towards anti-war sentiments.

If it was up to me, every single military institution would be disbanded, fuck war and militarism, it's always people in third world countries that suffer the consequences of super powers going at it, and nobody ever fucking cares.

Russia and it's allies' proxy wars with the US and its allies has destroyed the lives of millions of people around the world, maybe you don't give a shit because you're privileged enough to not live in one of those third world countries that get affected, those proxy wars happen because those super powers aren't actually brave enough to go into direct war with each other, they'd rather use third world countries as their playground to advance their imperialist interests.

Jackpot

Banned
While I don't know a lot about this guy, I can't believe how hostile some people here are towards anti-war sentiments.

If it was up to me, every single military institution would be disbanded, fuck war and militarism, it's always people in third world countries that suffer the consequences of super powers going at it, and nobody ever fucking cares.

If it was up to everyone of course we'd go for world peace. But it isn't, we have irrational state actors like Russia invading their neighbours and seizing their land. To back out of mutual defense pacts increases the chances of conflicts.

Alo0oy

Banned
If it was up to everyone of course we'd go for world peace. But it isn't, we have irrational state actors like Russia invading their neighbours and seizing their land. To back out of mutual defense pacts increases the chances of conflicts.

Murica too. Both are terrorist states. How many millions of lives were ruined because of those two countries and their allies?

I'm just tired of diet-nationalism on the internet, the only lives that matter are the lives of people living in one's country, and if one happens to be courteous enough, the lives of people living in other first world countries.

Murica too. Both are terrorist states. How many millions of lives were ruined because of those two countries and their allies?

I'm just tired of diet-nationalism on the internet, the only lives that matter are the lives of people living in one's country, and if one happens to be courteous enough, the lives of people living in other first world countries.
America is a terrorist state? Sure buddy.

Please tell, which countries has NATO fucked up exactly? Which countries did NATO use as their playground? Which millions of people in third-world countries has NATO hurt?

You are aware that it is a defensive alliance formed to keep mostly Europe safe from the Soviet Union and now sadly Russia, right?

You can be against the US interference in other countries, but still support NATO. Because NATO has little to do with those things.

Alo0oy

Banned
All the whataboutists coming out the woodwork.

Not whataboutism, just hypocrisy, both countries should be condemned for all the misery they have caused around the world. They continue to play chess in third world countries, they support bloody dictatorships that advance their interests (Russia with Syria, US with the Gulf States), and dispose of dictatorships they're not happy with.

While you sit in your privileged first world armchair, who ends up being the victim? Us of course, I doubt your tone would be the same if you have to live under US or Russian supported dictatorships, or living in a proxy warzone setup by Russia & Murica.

Jackpot

Banned
Not whataboutism, just hypocrisy, both countries should be condemned for all the misery they have caused around the world. They continue to play chess in third world countries, they support bloody dictatorships that advance their interests (Russia with Syria, US with the Gulf States), and dispose of dictatorships they're not happy with.

While you sit in your privileged first world armchair, who ends up being the victim? Us of course, I doubt your tone would be the same if you have to live under US or Russian supported dictatorships, or living in a proxy warzone setup by Russia & Murica.

Please find evidence that I don't also condemn the US for its overseas "adventures". Go ahead, I'll wait.

benjipwns

Banned
You are aware that it is a defensive alliance formed to keep mostly Europe safe from the Soviet Union and now sadly Russia, right?
The Soviet Union wasn't a threat to Europe, it was the people of Europe's greatest ally, peacefully trying to help establish true democracies where the working class campaigned for them. NATO was an imperialist counterrevolutionary force that imposed capitalist hell and social fascism on western Europe after the Great Patriotic War.

It was a "defensive" alliance against the liberation of the European working class from capitalist imperialism.

Alo0oy

Banned
America is a terrorist state? Sure buddy.

Please tell, which countries has NATO fucked up exactly? Which countries did NATO use as their playground? Which millions of people in third-world countries has NATO hurt?

You can be against the US interference in other countries, but still support NATO. Because NATO has little to do with those things.

The Gulf States? I happen to live in one. They're extremely stable of course, they're the most stable countries in the Middle East, do you know why?

In my country, the top "police advisers" were setup by the US & the UK, look up John Yates & John Timoney. Under them, people are tortured to death for opposing the government.

What Russia is doing with Bashar is exactly what Murica is going with the Gulf States, how much longer is Saudi Arabia going to be allowed to ban women from driving or force them into covering their head?

Quixzlizx

None of this has anything to do with democratic governments who voluntarily joined a defensive alliance against their historical oppressor.

Edit: It's true what a previous poster said. All of the people ranting about US interference in the Middle East just equate NATO to the US, so the reality distortion field keeps them from saying anything coherent about this particular situation.

Maledict

Yeah, the levels of what about ism here are ridiculous.

Do tell me how many hospitals the King of Jordan bombed recently.

Alo0oy

Banned
Please find evidence that I don't also condemn the US for its overseas "adventures". Go ahead, I'll wait.

I never said you didn't. I said my statement isn't whataboutism, Russia & America are linked together in their destructive foreign policies.

Alo0oy

Banned
None of this has anything to do with democratic governments who voluntarily joined a defensive alliance against their historical oppressor.

Edit: It's true what a previous poster said. All of the people ranting about US interference in the Middle East just equate NATO to the US, so the reality distortion field keeps them from saying anything coherent about this particular situation.

My post wasn't about this particular situation, my post was about the hostility towards anti-war sentiments in this thread.

Maledict

My post wasn't about this particular situation, my post was about the hostility towards anti-war sentiments in this thread.

Which isn't here either.

NATO is a defensive alliance. It has been activated ONCE, after 9/11. No-one in this thread is calling for an invasion of Russia, or indeed anywhere that I can see. It's been a guarantor of peace for the west since it formed - there's a reason so many countries that escaped Russian domination immediately wanted to join it.

Conflating NATO with american interference in south America and the Middle East is a complete straw man argument that has no relation to the crux of the issue - would Jeremy Corbyn order Britain to go to war if Poland or Lithuania were invaded?

That's it. that's all that matters. That's what he was asked, that's what he failed to answer. There are a million ways you can answer that question whilst still stressing diplomacy, first and last, and war only as the ultimate last resort. But he didn't - because he wouldn't.

Jeremy Corbyn is unfit on every level to lead the UK, or indeed anything.

Alo0oy

Banned
Which isn't here either.

NATO is a defensive alliance. It has been activated ONCE, after 9/11. No-one in this thread is calling for an invasion of Russia, or indeed anywhere that I can see. It's been a guarantor of peace for the west since it formed - there's a reason so many countries that escaped Russian domination immediately wanted to join it.

Conflating NATO with american interference in south America and the Middle East is a complete straw man argument that has no relation to the crux of the issue - would Jeremy Corbyn order Britain to go to war if Poland or Lithuania were invaded?

That's it. that's all that matters. That's what he was asked, that's what he failed to answer. There are a million ways you can answer that question whilst still stressing diplomacy, first and last, and war only as the ultimate last resort. But he didn't - because he wouldn't.

Jeremy Corbyn is unfit on every level to lead the UK, or indeed anything.

I don't know, the more I google him, the more I like him. I don't get the hostility towards him?

Then again, I am a far left person. I am an Arab far left person living in a far right region, am I an appropriate Trump comparison?

Jackpot

Banned
I never said you didn't. I said my statement isn't whataboutism, Russia & America are linked together in their destructive foreign policies.

NATO != US. That's why we're talking about the leader of a UK political party. Why are you trying to derail and deflect by bringing up the US in a thread about an article that made zero mention of them?

Alo0oy

Banned
NATO != US. That's why we're talking about the leader of a UK political party. Why are you trying to derail and deflect by bringing up the US in a thread about an article that made zero mention of them?

I was addressing the hostility towards anti-war sentiments. Anyway, let's get back on topic, which is about this Corbyn guy, he's actually a very fascinating person, I like him.

Fascinating like a train wreck I guess.
This guy is the Bernie Sanders of U.K.
Nah.
Russia's aggressive actions in the Crimea and Ukraine have brought about a situation where President Obama and NATO--correctly, I believe--are saying we're going to beef up our troop level in that part of the world to tell Putin that his aggressiveness is not going to go unmatched. We have to work with NATO to protect Eastern Europe against any kind of Russian aggression.
~Senator Bernie Sanders

I don't know, the more I google him, the more I like him. I don't get the hostility towards him?

Then again, I am a far left person. I am an Arab far left person living in a far right region, am I an appropriate Trump comparison?

Corbyn's big problem is that he seems incapable of working people in the political sphere. Yes, he gets unfair media treatment, and yes, many in the party didn't support him from the start, but as a leader, he needs to be able to nullify that. He hasn't. He has a fanbase of supporters which is impressive, but at the same time, it doesn't look likely that fanbase will win a general election, or any chance of real power. I'd love to be proven wrong, but the hostility is there because the dude keeps pulling these frustrating moves that pretty much ensures a conservative government for the next decade.

Any reasonable person would have stepped aside and kept fighting from their fringes. Instead he's thrown a spanner in the works of achieving any incremental progress.

benjipwns

Banned
Everyone in NATO nations is a puppet of the imperialist US.

How many civilians have they killed in Pakistan with drones?
I don't know. You got a number for me?

Certainly not millions I think. Of course every death is one too much, but NATOs mission in Afghanistan was a legitimate one. Unfortunately that conflict spread to Pakistan also with the Taliban and such going back and forth over the border.

The Gulf States? I happen to live in one. They're extremely stable of course, they're the most stable countries in the Middle East, do you know why?

In my country, the top "police advisers" were setup by the US & the UK, look up John Yates & John Timoney. Under them, people are tortured to death for opposing the government.

What Russia is doing with Bashar is exactly what Murica is going with the Gulf States, how much longer is Saudi Arabia going to be allowed to ban women from driving or force them into covering their head?
You are confusing the actions of separate countries with those of NATO.

Armaros

It genuinely surprises me that people can't see it.

America, the leader of the West, has had a fucked up foreign policy for years. Even under Obama you're killing hundreds of civilians in sovereign countries (pakistan etc). You've got thousands of nukes and you got the world's largest defense spending program.

If I was Russia I'd be a little bit worried if you lot rocked up in my surrounding countries (even under the guise of NATO)

There must be a little bit of you that could see that?

Yes Russian is threatening to invade neighboring countries they used to rule with an iron fist as favor to the world to deal with the evil United States Foreign Policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom