• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lady Gaga ARTPOP |OT| It could mean anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemesis_

The thread has now been (finally) updated with every performance to date for the album cycle as well as some other things updated.

I've adjusted the KEY DATES section to reflect stuff. If I've missed anything let me know.

I've also removed a large majority of the app section because it's worthless and everyone deleted it months ago (including Lady Gaga).

Added the following performances to the OP.

Any feedback or whatever is welcomed! So exciting
and depressing
that we're finally getting a second video for this album!

BjUGAcwCAAA3ncw.jpg:large

Nemesis_

It's so crazy, I didn't realise she did so much promotion for the album before the end of 2013. She really crammed a lot of stuff into that two months. When you couple that with all the personal shit going on in the background, it's kind of admirable.

It's also a crying shame that despite this the album didn't reach the dizzying heights of commercial success that even BTW enjoyed :(

But yeah, heading to sleep now. 7 hours until the video :D

Watching the video this morning

That look she gives the camera as GUY is leading up to the first verse, like "guess who's baaaaack"

I fucking LIVE

Bladenic

Liked the video quite a bit. Definitely could have done without the credits. It's not her best vid IMO but far from the worst as some people seem to be calling it.

Monocle

Liked the video quite a bit. Definitely could have done without the credits. It's not her best vid IMO but far from the worst as some people seem to be calling it.
People who have decided to trash her no matter what because she's definitely "over" can't be expected to have a reasonable opinion. If this video had been released in the Fame Monster era, everyone would be losing their minds.

100% agree.

I don't think this tops Bad Romance (because Bad Romance was basically perfect in every way) but this is definitely one of her best.

G0523

Yep, same here! If I'm being a bit nitpicky though, I could've done without the Andy Cohen head in the sky. The Real Housewives were okay but Andy Cohen was too much. Everything else was great!

Nemesis_

I just think it had fantastic production values, she didn't look bad in any of the scenes and the choreo was modest enough for her to pull off without losing awkward.

She did well. As I said before, could easily do without the Venus bit or Bravo stars and perhaps tightening some of those sporadic quick cuts but yeah, it is a quality video IMO. Better than EOG and Y&I for sure.

Anyone here going to the tour?

I'm going in July!! My first major Gaga concert so I'm really fucking excited.

I'm imagining my shit being lost during the Swine, Applause and Gypsy performances. Especially Swine :0

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I just think it had fantastic production values, she didn't look bad in any of the scenes and the choreo was modest enough for her to pull off without losing awkward.

She did well. As I said before, could easily do without the Venus bit or Bravo stars and perhaps tightening some of those sporadic quick cuts but yeah, it is a quality video IMO. Better than EOG and Y&I for sure.

Anyone here going to the tour?

Got tix for the MSG show on May 13th, going with my daughter. First time we'll see her live. I came real close to going to the Roseland Ballroom performance since I prefer the venue but too pricey.

3phemeral

People who have decided to trash her no matter what because she's definitely "over" can't be expected to have a reasonable opinion. If this video had been released in the Fame Monster era, everyone would be losing their minds.

Completely disagree. Pretty much most scenes in Bad Romance is equally balanced with visual and narrative. GUY has tons of visual filler or partially executed concepts. Not her worst video by any means but for me, it's more about "I finally have control over my video concept again" and it coming off pretty loosely realized.

What she should have done: Axe the inclusion of ARTPOP and Venus and incorporate those videos into GUY. Otherwise, if you just watch GUY by itself, out of the 4-minutes it lasts, 3.21 of those are just completely unrelated dance sequences. While she looks hot, there's really nothing visually compelling that holds it together. It becomes an absolutely bore to watch.

That said, I do have my favorite bits: The intro of ARTPOP and the entire sequence after the bridge. It's just everything in between is a letdown.

Meowster

GUY is better than Bad Romance. Judas is better than Bad Romance. As are Paparazzi and Telephone (and Marry The Night, imho, but that's a controversial opinion).

Bad Romance will always be considered the pinnacle because of its timing. If that video came out yesterday the comments would have been much more scathing.

3phemeral

Bad Romance will always be considered the pinnacle because of its timing. If that video came out yesterday the comments would have been much more scathing.

I really urge you to watch Bad Romance again and see how the entire video connects with the song. It may not be as visually polished (sans Venus' section), but it's pretty much everything from editing, to progression, to narrative are all on-point with what the song is about.

It's definitely one of her most on-point videos in terms of synchronizing the visual with the music, which let's face it is the reason music videos exist. But she sort of threw that idea out the window when Telephone came out, which people argue is one of the best videos of all TIME and the visual has absolutely nothing to do with the music.

Meowster

I still think Judas does what Bad Romance did as a song better and has an incredible music video. But whatever, it flopped so it is unimportant to everyone else.

In other news, just got my tickets for me and my boyfriend to see her in Denver!

3phemeral

It's definitely one of her most on-point videos in terms of synchronizing the visual with the music, which let's face it is the reason music videos exist. But she sort of threw that idea out the window when Telephone came out, which people argue is one of the best videos of all TIME and the visual has absolutely nothing to do with the music.

The thing with Telephone is that is has a distinct aesthetic, it has a narrative so it keeps your attention, and it's completely campy as hell and deliberately badly acted. The Telephone song had the bare minimum of actual content to pull from, so she really had no choice but to make it into something else entirely. But the connection between Bad Romance and Telephone is that the set pieces and the dancing were all cohesive and complementary to what was happening in the foreground. They exist with everything else, not in spite of it.

GUY, on the other hand, is pretty much two separate and unrelated concepts spliced together. One where she's just oozing sex appeal and the other that's actually related to the track. Then haphazardly edit them together. There's only one set that actually gets reused for the narrative and that's the GUY cloning station. Everything else is Hearst Castle Architectural Digest promo.

Meowster

Paparazzi is still the best, since it has a song I love, unlike Telephone. The music video for Telephone is so cool though.. I don't really think anything like it has happened since. Isn't that another one of Gaga's projects that she hates too? Or just the song? Lol.

Nemesis_

The stage was revealed last week too, and she's apparently making another tour related announcement this week.

1000px-3-17-14_LittleMonsters.com_001.jpg

I got M&G tickets, so I'm gonna be sitting on the stage in the middle there near that blue thing.

I like how her stage is going to be running throughout the entirety of the floor rather than just a little bit of it, and how people can essentially stand underneath the walkways too. There will be so many creepshots though, I can feel it. Haha.

Nemesis_

I hope this actually happens

Gq9WqGk.jpg

Seems dangerous. How would they manage to control the crowd to the point where they'd get them to move out of the way? Would be super cool but I really can't imagine it for some reason >_>

It would be a nice surprise though if she were able to make the stage as alive as she made the castle for the BTW Ball.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Seems dangerous. How would they manage to control the crowd to the point where they'd get them to move out of the way? Would be super cool but I really can't imagine it for some reason >_>
There was an off-Broadway musical last year here in NY that used a moving stage in the middle of the audience. It was MUCH smaller scale, but when that thing moved, you were forced to move with it. It also didn't exactly move quickly, so there wasn't really the possibility if it mowing you down. So, in theory, I get how this would work, but since the crowd at Gaga's show would be so much larger and denser, I don't see this happening.

It's one thing to do it in smaller theater in a very controlled environment; it's another to try and make this happen over and over again in multiple spaces, probably with new personnel overseeing it at each location. Just sounds like a liability to me.

Well the stage is actually supposed to be much higher than the audience as far as I know, she says the walkway is see through so that you can see from under it. It's possible that the set piece can move without the audience being affected.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Well the stage is actually supposed to be much higher than the audience as far as I know, she says the walkway is see through so that you can see from under it. It's possible that the set piece can move without the audience being affected.
Oh, sure. The only part moving through the crowd is the column that holds up the walkway. But even that would either have to be on great wheels that wouldn't be impeded by anything dropped on the ground by the audience, or they'd have to make sure the automation track was clear if it ran on one.

Phreaker

Just saw the whole video. My first reaction "Is that the RHofBH?!", then Andy... then did Bravo fund this video? WTH?

Love the song and the video is okay, just not sure I understand the Bravo connection. STILL, FINALLY a new video from Artpop, took long enough.

Just saw the whole video. My first reaction "Is that the RHofBH?!", then Andy... then did Bravo fund this video? WTH?

Love the song and the video is okay, just not sure I understand the Bravo connection. STILL, FINALLY a new video from Artpop, took long enough.

She's just a huge fan of the show. It's cute that she put them on it. I feel like most pop stars would feel above that whole group. lol

Alrus

I'd love to go see Gaga live but the tickets for the pit are something like 100 euros and Idon't have the money for that right now... Seats are much cheaper but there's no way <i'm sitting during a concert.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I'd love to go see Gaga live but the tickets for the pit are something like 100 euros and Idon't have the money for that right now... Seats are much cheaper but there's no way <i'm sitting during a concert.

well no one really sits during a concert
got seats for the BTW Ball and I stood up the whole time
well except during You and I

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Part of me really wants to go to the artRave now just to see this stage. I'm seeing her at Roseland though and feel like I don't need to go twice in a row like that.

I saw her during the Monster Ball. I'm seeing her final night at Roseland. Maybe I'll catch the artRave if it's successful and come back to New York when I can go.

Nemesis_

I got tickets for July 21st at Staples Center. Going with a couple friends. It will be my third time going to see her live.

Me too! I've seen her at every tour thus far. I like seeing how each of her shows has become more and more elaborate as time goes by. Demand is not too hot here in Australia right now, so I doubt I'll get an opportunity to see her twice this time around :(

Part of me really wants to go to the artRave now just to see this stage. I'm seeing her at Roseland though and feel like I don't need to go twice in a row like that.

I saw her during the Monster Ball. I'm seeing her final note at Roseland. Maybe I'll catch the artRave if it's successful and come back to New York when I can go.

That's kind of cool. I think the Roseland shows are quite intimate, aren't they? I'm not sure if they are the same as the actual tour itself.

BUT I did read somewhere (not 100% sure) that she is performing Monster and Teeth at these dates. I hope that means we'll get another performance of Monster at the artRAVE proper.

It sounds like she's doing much more jazzier renditions of her songs? http://ladyxgaga.com/post/80830126663/audio-of-gaga-rehearsing-g-u-y-for-her-roseland

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
That's kind of cool. I think the Roseland shows are quite intimate, aren't they? I'm not sure if they are the same as the actual tour itself.

BUT I did read somewhere (not 100% sure) that she is performing Monster and Teeth at these dates. I hope that means we'll get another performance of Monster at the artRAVE proper.

It sounds like she's doing much more jazzier renditions of her songs? http://ladyxgaga.com/post/80830126663/audio-of-gaga-rehearsing-g-u-y-for-her-roseland
I've never been to Roseland, but it's not a huge place. It's a relatively small venue in the middle of midtown Manhattan. The concert will have a very different feel than her stadium tours, which is why I really wanted to go. I won't be shocked if most of it is her at her piano...or if we get some magical near-100% acoustic show. I think it'll be more about vocals/performance than spectacle.

Who knows though. Maybe I'll get there and shit will be bonkers. Green vomit for everyone.

Regardless of the level of production, she better outdo herself that final night. It's gonna be the last concert ever in that space. Hope she makes it count.

Nemesis_

I've never been to Roseland, but it's not a huge place. It's a relatively small venue in the middle of midtown Manhattan. The concert will have a very different feel than her stadium tours, which is why I really wanted to go. I won't be shocked if most of it is her at her piano...or if we get some magical near-100% acoustic show. I think it'll be more about vocals/performance than spectacle.

Who knows though. Maybe I'll get there and shit will be bonkers. Green vomit for everyone.

Regardless of the level of production, she better outdo herself that final night. It's gonna be the last concert ever in that space. Hope she makes it count.

She already said the vomit thing was something she specifically put together for SXSW so I would assume she wouldn't be doing that stuff at Roseland.

I am super keen to see how it turns out. It's either a scaled back mini-version of the upcoming tour or something else entirely. Still exciting regardless - that leaked sound check for G.U.Y. makes me think she'll be really changing things up with the arrangements of most of the songs.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
That show was truly phenomenal. I was there, pretty close to the main stage and very close to the subway car stage she sang Dope from. She was incredible. I really hope that sometime she does a full tour at venues of that size because it really was a different experience.

I expect the artRave to be much longer set-wise.

3phemeral

Watching a stream of the video now, I really think that channeling that 70's rocker-chick vibe was totally wasted:

Especially with how during the iTunes festival, the tracks benefited from those live instruments. In retrospect, it would have been interesting if she started off with edm tracks and then redid all of them using live instruments. Just seems to add so much push and energy to everything that the iTunes festival had that seem lacking in the album tracks. I suppose that's the problem with having them debut live first prior to the album release.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Somebody has uploaded what I assume is the full set here
Sound is major quiet though

Sai-kun

Banned
I kinda wish I could see her live this era, but I really just don't like a majority of Artpop.

I'm really sad that I missed her BTW tour because of when she got sick last year. :/ I'll never see Scheisse or any of my BTW faves live! RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom