• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LaserDisc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man alive do I hope the Archivist folks are getting LD well and truly situated at this point after so many years now given all the decaying, but so damn beautiful, works out there.

How would a comeback even happen on the tech side of things comparable to vinyl getting a resurgence of late? I was under the impression that the nature of the beast of the hardware essentially made mortality all but inevitable even if the discs were treated in a downright sacrosanct manner. Is there a chance for some crazed engineering outfit to somehow wrangle a new and better generation of players while somehow pulling something off with discs of old and any forthcoming works to actually stave off oblivion for a few more decades?

Jaeger

Man alive do I hope the Archivist folks are getting LD well and truly situated at this point after so many years now given all the decaying, but so damn beautiful, works out there.

How would a comeback even happen on the tech side of things comparable to vinyl getting a resurgence of late? I was under the impression that the nature of the beast of the hardware essentially made mortality all but inevitable even if the discs were treated in a downright sacrosanct manner. Is there a chance for some crazed engineering outfit to somehow wrangle a new and better generation of players while somehow pulling something off with discs of old and any forthcoming works to actually stave off oblivion for a few more decades?

In terms of a revival, it would be dope for one to happen. I'm thinking in the same small fashion retro gaming has taken off. Like how the Dreamcast still gets a few games here and there released in physical copies. That would be something special.

drt

Banned
I've been collecting for years, so many rarities, Criterion etc, but I sold it last year with my Pioneer HLD-X9 and Pioneer CLD-925. A total of 547 discs. Last LD-movie I ever bought, Blade Runner (1982 Criterion LBX).

Jaeger

I've been collecting for years, so many rarities, Criterion etc, but I sold it last year with my Pioneer HLD-X9 and Pioneer CLD-925. A total of 547 discs. Last LD-movie I ever bought, Blade Runner (1982 Criterion LBX).

Out of those players, which would you recommend?

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

How much did you get for the whole thing? Did you piecemail it or do a big lot?

Trago

Found out my parents put most of them in storage! Dammit!!

Anyway, I've gathered what's left, I'll upload them.

Jaeger

I am looking to buy a player that seems to have all of what i would need in my first player purchase. Dual scan, etc. I have yet to see any negatives on the model. I'll update everyone the second I can confirm the purchase. Also, Culturedog has some very informative videos on LD and it's history. Also he talks about hsi collections on his channel.

Found out my parents put most of them in storage! Dammit!!

Anyway, I've gathered what's left, I'll upload them.

Can't wait brother!

Trago

Anyway, here's what's left. My dad literally bought every one of these new when they were released, he has a large collection of LD, Betamax, and VHS. So much of my early childhood was spent watching pretty much everything.

mNyUuA7.jpg

VpIaooE.jpg

xtzhC-IXkbT2suNvbB8nCsXcbEK2zHlwqEJMQUUpF6I=w1359-h1019-no

Anyway, here's what's left. My dad literally bought every one of these new when they were released, he has a large collection of LD, Betamax, and VHS. So much of my early childhood was spent watching pretty much everything.

That's a great collection!

NekoFever

I really doubt there's a future in it like there is for vinyl. With vinyl, although plenty will disagree, there's an argument that it sounds better. You could justifiably argue that DVD was a step down when it came to audio, but you still had a lot of other benefits, and now we have Blu-ray anyway.

That said, I still like my LD player. Bought it for pre-SE Star Wars and the player came with a couple dozen discs. Love the big artwork.

Jaeger

CAV and CLV are the two types of LD encoding methods. One allows for dynamic seeking and freeze frames, while the other forgoes this to allow for extended run time IIRC.

Ahh, I appreciate that.

mNyUuA7.jpg

VpIaooE.jpg

Very nice! I really want to get those Disney films for my wife. She would really like that. And a good way to ease her into letting me collect a dead format. lol

Forgot I had this saved on my phone. Black Rain and Predator! Two of my favorites!

S9Mh5jDWVI8zMLifZWWRDn1Nz3bf2Eg1rVpoqBymexM=w1359-h1019-no

Predator is easily one of my favorite films ever made. Added that to my list.

Snaku

Banned
Anyway, here's what's left. My dad literally bought every one of these new when they were released, he has a large collection of LD, Betamax, and VHS. So much of my early childhood was spent watching pretty much everything

That's a damn nice collection.

Jaeger

NekoFever

mNyUuA7.jpg

VpIaooE.jpg

How many disc flips/changes is Gone with the Wind?

Jaeger

I have also started gaining interest in laserdiscs was surprised to see that some of the laserdisc players were also good consoles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lap39N4YrN4

This one shows a player capable of playing mega drive games, anyone else own those neat expansions shown?

Oh yea. GAF knows about the LaserActive. A grail to alot of collectors. There's a handful on eBay for around or more than a grand IIRC. You can play Mega Drive and PC Engine games with adapters, too.

drt

Banned
How much did you get for the whole thing? Did you piecemail it or do a big lot?

I know some people in Japan and they helped me get in touch with a collector who bought everything except the Pioneer CLD-925 (I sold it separately). I don't really like to talk numbers but let's just say I got enough so I could buy a brand new motorcycle.

Oh yea. GAF knows about the LaserActive. A grail to alot of collectors. There's a handful on eBay for around or more than a grand IIRC. You can play Mega Drive and PC Engine games with adapters, too.

Saw one in the wild like 5 years ago at a used game store in Salem. They had it priced for like 250. Let it sit there.

I'm an idiot.

Jaeger

Saw one in the wild like 5 years ago at a used game store in Salem. They had it priced for like 250. Let it sit there.

I'm an idiot.

Aww man! Could have make a quick flip on a sucker, I mean interested party! I've experienced finds that i regretably passed on like that, myself. Including a late model Pioneer LD Player I see go for hundreds on eBay, now.

damn that's one hard miss ....

My thinking was

1) I've already got an LD player
2) I've already got a Genesis
3) There's no way this thing is built all that well
4) I'm in Salem and everything here is fucked up in some way.
5) $250 is a lot for an impulse buy.

But yeah - I fucked that one up. That's the thing about Salem. Even when you think you're not fucking up, you are. Because you're there.

Jaeger

Bidding on a player now. Hopefully it pans out. Its not my first choice but it's a good player regardless. Especially for the price. Then I'm going to invest in some anime LDs and the movie favorites. Using the link Bobby provided to try and avoid titles that are known to rot. Looking to get mostly action horror and sci-fi. Star Wars pre SE IS A MUST.

Snaku

Banned
Bidding on a player now. Hopefully it pans out. Its not my first choice but it's a good player regardless. Especially for the price. Then I'm going to invest in some anime LDs and the movie favorites. Using the link Bobby provided to try and avoid titles that are known to rot. Looking to get mostly action horror and sci-fi. Star Wars pre SE IS A MUST.

Star Wars is at the top of my list as well.

I'll be making a road trip to Fat Kat Records tomorrow if anybody has any specific titles they're looking for shoot me a PM, and I'll grab em for you.

Jaeger

Star Wars is at the top of my list as well.

I'll be making a road trip to Fat Kat Records tomorrow if anybody has any specific titles they're looking for shoot me a PM, and I'll grab em for you.

I'll be shooting you one, shorty!

Jaeger

Bid and won a Pioneer CLD-M90 shipped for $66.74. No remote. According to the seller it's in fine working condition with minor wear. I believe it was manufactured in '91. Reads both sides of the disc without having to flip it, as well. Won't be the last player I invest in but I think I did ok for my first. I hope I did at least.

Turns out they're closed on Wednesday. :/

It's all good! I'll send you a message in the morning about those specifics.

Snaku

Banned
Bid and won a Pioneer CLD-M90 shipped for $66.74. No remote. According to the seller it's in fine working condition with minor wear. I believe it was manufactured in '91. Reads both sides of the disc without having to flip it, as well. Won't be the last player I invest in but I think I did ok for my first. I hope I did at least

Nice, that seems like a decent one. I won a CLD-D503 for $45, pretty excited for when it arrives next week. Hopefully I can make it out to Fat Kat on Tuesday.

Jaeger

Nice, that seems like a decent one. I won a CLD-D503 for $45, pretty excited for when it arrives next week. Hopefully I can make it out to Fat Kat on Tuesday.

Sounds good brother! I'm gonna do some hunting at my local music store, too. Anything I should keep an eye out for, for you?

psylah

I just saw a Laserdisc player at the local thrift store, but it appears to only have composite-out. Is it worth getting one that doesn't at least have S-video or SOMETHING?

Dpp1978

Neo Member
I just saw a Laserdisc player at the local thrift store, but it appears to only have composite-out. Is it worth getting one that doesn't at least have S-video or SOMETHING?

Composite video out is fine for Laserdisc.

Laserdisc is a composite format. The picture is stored as analogue composite video and all an S-Video out will do is move signal processing to the player rather than the TV. In many cases the processing in your TV will be better than the processing in your player.

That said I think Laserdiscs look pretty awful on HDTVs. They still look OK on CRT TVs but even then DVD is usually better.

Sound quality was where Laserdisc really shined over DVD as many discs had uncompressed stereo audio. But even that is outmatched by the lossless audio formats available on Blu-ray.

I like my Laserdiscs, but they are little more than a novelty at this point. Aside from titles which remain unavailable on other formats, there is very little reason to choose to watch a film on Laserdisc over a more recent format.

psylah

Composite video out is fine for Laserdisc.

Laserdisc is a composite format. The picture is stored as analogue composite video and all an S-Video out will do is move signal processing to the player rather than the TV. In many cases the processing in your TV will be better than the processing in your player.

That said I think Laserdiscs look pretty awful on HDTVs. They still look OK on CRT TVs but even then DVD is usually better.

Sound quality was where Laserdisc really shined over DVD as many discs had uncompressed stereo audio. But even that is outmatched by the lossless audio formats available on Blu-ray.

I like my Laserdiscs, but they are little more than a novelty at this point. Aside from titles which remain unavailable on other formats, there is very little reason to choose to watch a film on Laserdisc over a more recent format.

Thanks for the info. I'll swing by and see if its still there.

psylah

Picked it up, it was a Pioneer CLD-1080. It was 12 dollars.

Now all I need is an actual Laserdisc to see if it actually reads...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom