• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Day of Steam Sales | Overlooked, non-featured deals & recommendations (ONLY)

Dingotech

I enjoyed Borderlands yes. Tried Dead Island a few times and did not enjoy it yet. Gonna keep trying over time. Can't be buying games I won't play now...(looks at other games yet to play)

RE Borderlands I was mainly referring to the loot aspect.

If that kept you coming back for more then I think you would enjoy torchlight.

Jimrpg

this is a great thread - i didn't buy much during the dailies as not much appealed...

thanks toma for the civcity suggestion - im going to get grand ages: rome. ive been playing civ 4 a lot lately and restarting over and over again and I keep running into the same problems so this will be a welcome change.

haven't looked through steam for bargains as yet but my picks would be

Lost Horizon - $5 game is well worth it and beautiful

RE Borderlands I was mainly referring to the loot aspect.

If that kept you coming back for more then I think you would enjoy torchlight.

Does Torchlight play well with a track pad? I want a few games to keep installed on steam for those moments when I don't have a mouse around me.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I have not, so can't draw any comparisons, but your post above comparing it to BBR has put in to the top of my to-check-out list. If it's basically BBR with a boaload more content then I'm sold already.

Oh god yes. Actually, my biggest problem with BBR could be that I played a few dozen hours of Motorstorm RC already. It has tighter controls, more varied tracks and just overall way more content. If you have a few friends who play it as well, the leaderboard connectivity is VERY engaging and completely alleviates the need for MP for me (since it doesnt require to be online at the same time, but still saves your friends ghosts so you can race against them).

Does Torchlight play well with a track pad? I want a few games to keep installed on steam for those moments when I don't have a mouse around me.

OH GOD NO. Its a click-click-click game. You can die of imprecise clicking and not being careful enough with your directions. I mean, a friend of mine played through Crimsonland hardcore on a trackpad (so insane), therefor you might be comfortable enough if you play games with it a lot, but I'd say its not a fun experience for the average PC user.

TheBez

Hey guys is anyone interested in doing trades? I have some extra DOTA, Super MNC, Bad Rats, Portal, Nuclear Dawn, and HL2 Deathmatch keys for trade. I'm looking for Hard Reset, Legend of Grimrock, Stacking, A Valley Without Wind, Wizorb, and QUBE. Let me know if anyone is interested in trading :)

dani_dc

OH GOD NO. Its a click-click-click game. You can die of imprecise clicking and not being careful enough with your directions. I mean, a friend of mine played through Crimsonland hardcore on a trackpad (so insane), therefor you might be comfortable enough if you play games with it a lot, but I'd say its not a fun experience for the average PC user.

My girlfriend played all of it with a trackpad without issues.

Of course she plays L4D with it so take that as you will!

Hey guys is anyone interested in doing trades? I have some extra DOTA, Super MNC, Bad Rats, Portal, Nuclear Dawn, and HL2 Deathmatch keys for trade. I'm looking for Hard Reset, Legend of Grimrock, Stacking, A Valley Without Wind, and QUBE. Let me know if anyone is interested in trading :)
Might want to try this thread.

BiggNife

Games that I would highly recommend:

Wizorb - Like Arknoid or Kirby's Block Ball? Then get this. Wonderful graphics and fun arcadey gameplay, even if it gets frustrating at times.

Shatter - Another breakout style game, but completely different from Wizorb and equally enjoyable.

Noitu Love 2 It's like Metal Slug but with mouse controlled melee combat. I wish it had more graphics options but definitely worth it for the price.

Sonic CD - SCD isn't my favorite Sonic game, but I still think it's worth playing and this is an absolutely wonderful port. The original Win95 PC version is garbage in comparison.

Nimbus - Definitely follows the Super Meat Boy design philosophy. Great game, but it gets tough as nails.

megalowho

In case anyone hasn't played or just would like copies of them in Steam, the LucasArts Adventure pack is currently $5.99. Contains the following, each priced individually at $2.99:

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
LOOM
The Dig

Star Wars: Dark Forces and Jedi Knight are also $2.99 each. Shame we won't be seeing any more LucasArts packs in the foreseeable future, but it's nice that a few of them made it up there.

MasLegio

Banned
Salsa do you think you can add Lone Survivor to that list? It's one of the most wanted for me, from what I see seems really nice (I do not own it) with a good mood/setting and it's less than $5

I can't make a banner with a description since I need to take care of the prizes/Highscores from the Steam Hunt Thread and I'm a little busy. Thanks in advance!

what?!

it is less than 5$ in the us?
it is 6.5€ in EU

I thought the developer was a nice guy. instead it seems he is a europehating nationalist

Hard Reset Extended Edition

$3.75 (Free demo)
Downloaded the demo to check this out.
So this game is a sci-fi fps with a cyberpunk setting. The aesthetic of the game may not be wholly original but it is executed upon really well. The game looks and runs great.
Don't take my word for it though, here are some screenshots and gifs courtesy of the games OT.
ac736f1a6f7035bd7388578fe856cb5fce130eed.jpg

hardreset2011-09-0719-lrid.jpg

sdfsdfsfkfa.gif

2222222222szkr.gif
Now onto the gameplay, it is very much inspired by old school shooters like Painkiller. You shoot robots that charge towards you in groups and occasionally encounter larger ones. You can upgrade your guns and it seems there is lot to unlock in the upgrade tree.
Story seemed to be fairly barebones motion comic stuff.Apparently the game is around 5 hours long which may have been hard to swallow at 30$ but now it seems like a bargain. Not to mention the recent addition of a fairly subsatianal free dlc pack. Anyone on the fence, give the demo a try.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Anyone know if Divine Divinity falls under the category of overlooked sale? Is it any good?

Artofwar420

Was reminded of this in the OT. Puzzle Dimension. Only $1.49.

The rules for gravity and movement are easy to grasp. The objective "Pick all the sunflowers and exit through the portal" is simple - within minutes you will move in 3D structures and solve puzzles never seen before. Addictive Gameplay Find solutions to the puzzles and experience the satisfaction of "Aha" moments.

ss_9450695a487a8c99379cb74d053da641e4a567e4.600x338.jpg

Eusis

I need a Metroidvania game in my life. Anything on Steam?
Ys: The Oath in Felghana has a world design akin to a Metroidvania, it's not 2D but the gameplay is from a fixed overhead camera so it may as well be. But that's probably VERY loose, though at about $5 it's worth giving a try anyway.

Dizzy-4U

I didn't know Factions was on PC. I play it all the time with friends on 360. So yeah...

$4.99 USD

Great strategy game with pretty funny characters. It's also a hell of a lot faster than the board game. Totally worth the 5 dollars imo. It has a demo if you're on the fence.

Giant Bomb's Quck Look: Risk Factions

For fans of Bioware's earlier works

$7.50
header_292x136.jpg

I never finished this game when I played it for the original xbox, but I believe it was pretty well received.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Someone please add Broken Sword. It's only a dollar and fiddy.

Introversion pack is £4, Defcon is nice but mostly I recommend Darwinia.
Both are timeless.

The Ship is £3.50, has a dedicated but tiny community. Truly inventive multiplayer. Has aged fairly well. Comes with a free version to gift to a friend I believe. Best to check on that it might have been a limited offer.

I seem to remember playing Axel and Pixel's demo on XBLA, it didn't seem to have the same kind of charm of a Samorost. Anyone able to comment?

Artofwar420

Any opinions on Azteka? It's hard to find any info about it, yet it looks so intriguing to me.

From a "Let's Play" I watched a while ago (last sale I think) I vaguely remember that it's not great. I'd say you don't need to get it right now.

Edit: Something about not having a lot of depth. I'd watch Metal Gear?!'s video though. Good luck!

Any opinions on Azteka? It's hard to find any info about it, yet it looks so intriguing to me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBLbEw1BVx8 - Has a small, free demo

From what I can tell it's an indie metroidvania light with loot that you control with keyboard and mouse (you need to click on things so gamepads are a no go). I've heard the later parts of the game are very frustrating.

Can someone provide some thoughts on Bang Bang Racing? It looks like a modern version of RC Pro Am for the NES.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/207020/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3icKgcuoSAU - Also has a small, free demo

While I could make it through the demo, the way the camera twists and turns and swerves after your car just made me sick and I'm not sure I'd want to play an entire game's worth of it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
One of my favorite RTS games of all time. 89/100 on Metacritic. $6.69

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/1471/
World War III rages and a Soviet-led army has launched a surprise attack on the U.S.A. Command your troops into fast-paced battles fought on a fully destructible battle-field. Strategy meets intense action in this epic clash of Super Powers!

Metal Drift is a vehicular sport combat game set in a distant future. As the player, you command an agile, high powered hover tank in a futuristic sports arena. Core game play centers on intense tank-on-tank multiplayer team combat seen through an immersive, first person cockpit. Layered on this is a goal-oriented game type that allows for high level strategy and team dynamics. Players can level up to unlock new ranks, weapons, and upgrades.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/32200/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/2720/
ThreadSpace: Hyperbol is an action-strategy game set in the distant future. Players battle each other on roads in space as they pilot massive ships capable of firing a wide variety of weapons. Create defenses, coordinate with your team, and launch an assault against your opponents to achieve victory!

ASilva

Neo Member
Trials 2: Second Edition - 2.49$

How is this game on PC? I looooved the Trials HD game on the X360 and never got to play the new one (sold 360). I've been wanting some Trials fun ever since, is this game worth it?

EDIT: I guess is just a less good Trials HD. I'll pass :/

For fans of Bioware's earlier works

$7.50
http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/7110/header_292x136.jpg?t=1315275425[IMG]

I never finished this game when I played it for the original xbox, but I believe it was pretty well received.[/QUOTE]

Never, ever, say that on GAF. In the wrong places you might get a backlash of IGN proportions.

vareon

I caved in and bought Oath in Felghana at $5.09. Sorry Broken Sword, but there's too many Point and Click games in my Steam right now. We'll meet at winter.

What's the consensus on Hydrophobia? It's $1.24.

I haven't played all the way through, but when I got it a while back, I like what I played so far. It has a couple of rough spots, but the theme is interesting, and the animation work very nice. What I played of it was easily worth that price, and I still had a ways to go. Unfortunately, I got sidetracked, and it fell into my backlog, never to be seen again.

One warning if you go to look up reviews: The game reviewed poorly at first, so the developers went back and did a massive rework of several aspects of the game, and released it as a patch on PC (I think they had to sell it separately on consoles). So many of the professional reviews out there are based on an earlier, rougher version of the game.

deejay

I haven't played all the way through, but when I got it a while back, I like what I played so far. It has a couple of rough spots, but the theme is interesting, and the animation work very nice. What I played of it was easily worth that price, and I still had a ways to go. Unfortunately, I got sidetracked, and it fell into my backlog, never to be seen again.

One warning if you go to look up reviews: The game reviewed poorly at first, so the developers went back and did a massive rework of several aspects of the game, and released it as a patch on PC (I think they had to sell it separately on consoles). So many of the professional reviews out there are based on an earlier, rougher version of the game.

Really ? You should try to finish it; it takes only about 3,5 hours :)

Ledsen

(Hydrophobia) I played the patched and upgraded version of the game, and it was still bad. The water physics are neat, but other than that I'd say it's not worth playing.

SmokinDan

Was reminded of this in the OT. Puzzle Dimension. Only $1.49.

[URL="http://store.steampowered.com/app/57200]Link[/URL]

Puzzle Dimension is awesome. I got easily 15 hours out of this just completing it. And another 10 trying to get all the achievements.

E: Nimbus is also great. Play it on hard. Don't be a pussy :)

Doomshine

I've never played a Puzzle Quest game and the first one is 50% off right now for 4,99, but should I just go for Puzzle Quest 2?

Top Bottom