• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last single player game that made you cuss in frustration?

Kupfer

The Oda fight in Cyberpunk. I enjoy the game but fuck that fight.
Oh yeah, replaying the game right now and that guy can be a pain. Especially his homing shots could kill me in an instant.
Had to try over 20 times as well.
The Chimera in Phantom Liberty was also hard for me. After some tries I had to reskill my character to be able to beat it.

Last edited:

Outlier

It's been many years and I don't remember what game, but it seems games I've played in recent years just don't frustrate me enough to rage at them.
I'm happy about this, because when I used to get so upset and have outbursts when I eventually passed the upsetting section I didn't feel "good". I only felt relief that it was over.
That is a BAD feeling to have, when you're trying to be entertained.

tylrdiablos

I'm currently battling with Castlevania Lords of Shadow... I think I'm doing something wrong because it feels jank as fuck. It being repetitive and having a dodgy camera are also testing me.
I'm only 3 hours in... I'll give it another hour or two before abandoning it.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Pretty much every single one. My time for gaming is limited and every actual challenge amounts to time lost, frustrating me way more than it should.

Surprisingly, I have a lot more patience when playing old games. Maybe because they were challenging through and through and didn't usually be cakewalks with random difficulty spikes here and there.
(And maybe because they usually come with savestates these days.)

digdug2

Blasphemous, platforming in this game is janky af
Hah, yeah. It gives me a vibe of From Software games where they add platforming. You just stumble forward and gradually nudge your character forward toward the next lower platform and hope you don't overshoot it. It's a little better in Elden Ring than it was in Bloodborne and the Dark Souls games, but that's really not saying a whole lot.

digdug2

The most recent single player game I have raged at is Elden Ring. It's lack of skill on my part, but man fuck Torrent. Trying to maneuver him around is akin to driving a car without a steering wheel. I can't ever get him to do what I want him to do.

hlm666

Lies of P, not for any real reason other than I'm sick of multiphase fights where the first phase is a complete joke difficulty wise and then the 2nd phase seems to be designed to piss you off.

Roni

Gold Member
The Oda fight in Cyberpunk. I enjoy the game but fuck that fight.
"Distance! Watch the distance!" - TAKEMURA, Goro (2077)

Melee can be really frustrating in Cyberpunk 2077, I have several completed playthroughs and am still learning new tactics in melee.

GymWolf

After like 20+ years, replaying mgs1 in the master collection kinda had me cussing during some boss fights and stealth attempt because of the clunky ass controls. :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I’ve been playing Dragon’s Dogma to see if I want to bother with the sequel; I’ve tried playing it a few times before but dropped it each time.

I got pissed off though because I was doing some side quest, and I accidentally fell and put myself at almost death, so I figured I’d save some time and just reload from the last save point. Instead of reloading from the auto save at the beginning of the mission, it loaded an auto save from an archstone from 30 minutes previous.

Unless I’m missing something, there’s no individual saves in the game and all your auto/manual saves just overwrite the last, so I couldn’t load my actual latest save. I even tried to kill myself with fire to see if I could die and reload from the newest save, but my healer was too good and wouldn’t let me.

I don’t have as much free time to play games any more and basically just lost my whole play session to the shitty save system.

Spiderman 2. If you play on the harder difficulties the game tries to shaft you as hard as possible with the number of enemies at once.

SHA

The Quarry, incomplete
Metal Gear Rising, it took me awhile to realize there's no defense and it's unnecessary which made huge mind shift for me on how to play it.

Back on Elden Ring again... was cussing within moments. I know, I know, it feels fine when its my fault and not the game. Was happy to cuss.

Blindy

Bought Ghost N' Goblins Resurrection yesterday since it was $9.89 on PSN.
tumblr_pjia4nYVOn1qgf1i8o1_400.gif
Ooh man that one was brutal on the toughest difficulty. It's considered a win if you reach a checkpoint!

mdkirby

Alan wake 2....One of the boss fights, I forget which, constantly running in circles through trees and darkness trying to find ammo/batteries. Great game, but 1 or 2 fights were super frustrating.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Yesterday, Callisto Protocol. There’s a segment in the middle of the game where you have to fight a group of baddies near a broken bridge that was frustrating me. But I was trying to force a square peg in a triangle hole. I got it after a few tries.

To explain…

Think of it like this: When using classic controls, let’s say you’re using your concentration in two ways…

70% towards positioning, timing, reads, etc. and then 30% towards correct button inputs, correct joystick movements, and correct combo input timing.

With modern controls, that percentage is shifted to 90% and 10%. Thus, the player is performing more optimally towards the match performance itself rather than worrying about the input performance.

Also, it has been shown that if you still use the motion inputs of supers in modern control, it will remove the slight damage reduction:

So as the video explains, a better player would be optimizing their usage of modern controls to punish and create space, then use modern with input motions when performing combos or going on the offensive.

The eastern players and pros have noticed the advantages first, and thus they have quickly adapted to modern due to it, especially when it comes to certain characters like Guile or Zangief. Time will tell if more and more western players will do the same.

At the end of the day you can play however you like, but I wanted to show you the other end of things so that you can realize the whole modern/classic pride thing doesn’t really matter much in the pro scene. It’s always been about optimization and winning, especially with eastern players.

Raven117

Just some random Cyberpunk battle in Phantom Liberty.

It just wasn't clear what they wanted me to do...and I kept getting completely gunned down.

Top Bottom