• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Supper: Official prologue film for Alien: Covenant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I'm feeling the same. Even in the first Alien film there was a certain amount of professionalism. They were people doing their jobs and did have a bit of a laugh but as work colleagues would.

These look like a bunch of people who've spent years together, and are going on a road trip. But maybe these are the people of the future, IQ's having dropped sharply.
well they still seem to have some sort of homophobia in the future so I'm going to assume most of them are dumb as bricks

Window

Based on the trailer alone, this has the potential to be worse than Prometheus. Some may view this as a positive or a sign of the franchise going back to its roots but this looks like a typical slasher/montser B-movie based on the set-ups and scenes presented in the trailer.

Based on the trailer alone, this has the potential to be worse than Prometheus. Some may view this as a positive or a sign of the franchise going back to its roots but this looks like a typical slasher/montser B-movie based on the set-ups and scenes presented in the trailer.

isn't the slasher vibe intentional? seems like that shower scene was basically alluding to it.

if that aspect was done well at least i'd be somewhat satisfied.

CSJ

Yeah I'm feeling the same. Even in the first Alien film there was a certain amount of professionalism. They were people doing their jobs and did have a bit of a laugh but as work colleagues would.

These look like a bunch of people who've spent years together, and are going on a road trip. But maybe these are the people of the future, IQ's having dropped sharply.

I might be wrong but, they're leaving everything behind and going in to stasis, for how long? Everyone they knew may well be dead when they wake up.
I don't care who you are, it's somber party time.

They might not even wake up (obviously they do for the film) but they don't know that, anything could happen on the way.

Also I love how you take in to account a persons IQ from that small scene, do you do that with people in reality as well?

I have zero expectations for this film because Prometheus was that awful. This prologue makes me think the movie will be just as terrible, with the same overused cliches and stupid characters doing stupid things.

Window

isn't the slasher vibe intentional? seems like that shower scene was basically alluding to it.

if that aspect was done well at least i'd be somewhat satisfied.

Yes I realise it's intentional and it can be executed well (that is after all, what the original was) but that shower scene for example, is not the version of the slasher Alien film I expect.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Should we start placing bets on who's gonna die in sequence?
Most of them die in the trailer, so...

Honestly that was one of the dumbest trailers I have ever seen.

Ear guy dies first. I suppose he's the back burster guy

Then it's the girl locked in with him

Then it's the girl with the grenade launcher. You can see her on fire

Then it's the dude that gets face hugged. I know he's next because classic xenomorph is needed to set up...

Dude in the shower being torn apart, followed quickly by his blood covered and screaming gf(?). Now here's where the story might throw a curve ball, and the xeno doesn't straight up kill her, but uses her for an embryo implantation.

The only people I didn't see die on screen in the trailer are, McBride, the main female lead, and Franco. And of course Fassbender. This movie is a hard pass from me, due to showing me almost all the deaths in the damn trailer.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
They really want to capture the first film's crew dynamic and just can't. To be fair, not many films can. It was perfect.

Calabi

I might be wrong but, they're leaving everything behind and going in to stasis, for how long? Everyone they knew may well be dead when they wake up.
I don't care who you are, it's somber party time.

They might not even wake up (obviously they do for the film) but they don't know that, anything could happen on the way.

Also I love how you take in to account a persons IQ from that small scene, do you do that with people in reality as well?

Of course always, but IQ is also a reference to a quote in one of the films. I'm not sure what seems smart about any of these people, messing about like that on the bridge of the ship, could accidentally knock one of those consoles and end up crashing the ship. There all cannon fodder waiting to be chomped.

lunchtoast

I can't believe Franco and McBride is in this. Whenever I see them on screen I just think of the "You don't cum on my stuff!" scene from This is the End.

They really want to capture the first film's crew dynamic and just can't. To be fair, not many films can. It was perfect.

Pretty much. Also, so many films have imitated that dynamic (some successfully) that it has become a bit of a cliche and now needs to be close to perfect to get a pass.

I like the last supper reference because it was hammy, cheesy and corny. I get that it was trying to be self-effacing and there were glimmers of light in the dialogue/acting (sexy space gays were cool) but nothing too exciting. Set design, music, dialogue all average. The only thing that has me hooked is that it's yet another chance for the franchise to redeem itself. Fingers crossed!

I dug this prologue for what it was, but the cast of humans is not what I watch these films for. I don't care much about these humans unless they're vehicles for some good body horror. Shaw is the one character I've truly liked in this series for her interest in understanding the aliens, and actively seeking them out.

So this falls short for me compared to Prometheus' pre-release media that got me excited about the mission and mythology. The TED Talk that was already posted set the mood. Quiet Eye was the one for me. While not having to do with the aliens, Happy Birthday David was great.

JB1981

This just feels like a son making a homage to his dad. It's playful and kinda fun. Why so serious?

The opening shot is a copy of the overhead shot of the Nostromo from Alien. The crew in mess hall bantering. The dialog lifted straight from Alien. The one crew member seemingly sick but just choking etc.

I'm guessing
Franco dies pretty early on
, as the main character goes on to address Dr. Manhattan as captain in the first trailer.

Doomsayer

I thought it was pretty cool. This crew already has more charisma and character than the crew in Prometheus, so it's got that going for it.

I don't see why there is so much hate though. This is the last time they are going to be awake for who knows how long? Let them have their fun.

This just feels like a son making a homage to his dad. It's playful and kinda fun. Why so serious?

Because Prometheus literally ruined my life it was soooo bad. I hate everyone with the last name Scott because of it & actually have to go to counceling twice a week. Trash movie. -100/10

Jokes! In truth this forum makes me feel like I should seek professional help because I really, truly liked Prometheus. :p

Because Prometheus literally ruined my life it was soooo bad. I hate everyone with the last name Scott because of it & actually have to go to counceling twice a week. Trash movie. -100/10

Jokes! In truth this forum makes me feel like I should seek professional help because I really, truly liked Prometheus. :p

Have you considered seeing a professional? ;)

commedieu

Banned

That's because it was fresh at the time. We've seen this scenario a million times now. Event horizons crew seemed realistic. I don't think you can top a established trope.

If the characters have interesting arcs, and good alien content, that's all you can hope for from a alien franchise movie. So many have failed to just do that simple thing.

It's pretty good with some unfortunate writing hiccups and a few other things I don't like but nothing that really destroyed the movie for me. A few nitpicks, a few real problems, but solid otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom