• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LAT: The politics of math: Is algebra necessary to obtain a college degree?

Zocano

I'm not saying that you should know how to solve it instantly, because that kind of knowledge fades with time, but if you completed an engineering degree I think you can sit down for a few minutes and work it out.

Yah I haven't taken or done any math courses or work in some time and I reflexively started decompartmentalizing and reconfiguring how to read the equation in the OP (which in turn makes it trivial to simplify). People who have gone through these courses and did not carry through similarly basic tools for equation parsing baffle the shit out of me. It's not like this is a proof or something, it's basic algebraic simplification.

Math needs to be mandatory and taught as early as possible. To what extent I dunno but like many have said, "learning" algebra and how to parse it is fundamentally important.

nel e nel

There are smart people and there are dumb people. The end. All intelligence tests have strong correlation with a general intelligence factor. The idea that people are just "smart in different ways" is an attempt to democratize intelligence so everyone can feel good.

Correlation is not causation. Intelligence tests have also been shown to be wildly biased depending on who is and how they are administered.

Number_6

Didn't read the whole thread, so this may have been expressed already. Also, I'm a math teacher.

This is a factoring problem. If you try to straight up divide, you're gonna have a bad time. Factor, and it's all good.

Algebra is like Karate Kid wax on/wax off for your brain. You're sitting there wondering why the fuck you're doing all this shit, and you don't even realize that you're training yourself in problem-solving/abstract-thinking brain karate.

Teaching high school Algebra 2, I get this shit every year, almost daily. Kids that don't want to think or try but would rather just sit around and space out asking me "Why do we need to learn this?" or "When will I ever need this in real life?" They're frustrated, or scared, or sometimes just lazy, I get it. But seriously, do you want a college major or a career that involves anything calculus? Then you'll need to take calculus. Period. What, you don't know shit about basic functions? Then you need to take Algebra 2. It's a prerequisite for calculus. No way around it.

Africanus

This is INTERMEDIATE algebra? Give me a break. If you can't solve that you shouldn't graduate high school let alone college.

Can't solve that equation despite the following qualifications:
Got an A in Calculus BC AP in high school 1 year ago
Got an A in College Applied Calculus 7 months ago.
Got a 33 on ACT Math.
In an advanced medical program.

Sometimes you just forget. My track record on the surface would make me look good at math, but really, math has always been a frantic race to memorize seemingly unconnected formulas. The only math that ever came close to applying outside of that scope was Calculus, but even then it fell into the same predicable pattern. I imagine for those outside of STEM it loses even more relevance.

That's not to say I don't see the merits of a mathematical education. But,as many aspects of our American education,the teaching can be as subpar as our literacy.

At first glance I thought the problem would involve polynomial long division. No matter how proficient I get in math, that is an algorithm I will never be able to remember.

Correlation is not causation. Intelligence tests have also been shown to be wildly biased depending on who is and how they are administered.
It isn't a causal claim...

No, g intelligence tests are rather consistent in their results.

At first glance I thought the problem would involve polynomial long division. No matter how proficient I get in math, that is an algorithm I will never be able to remember.
It looks complicated, but it's just normal division with variables. Ask yourself what you need to multiple the divisor by to get the dividend, and then write it up top. Multiply, subtract, carry the remainder, and repeat. If you can generalize long division as a function, polynomial division will become more clear.

Unbounded

You know, I really wish that accountants were given more composition classes, because we do communicate with clients via email quite a bit and it looks unprofessional as hell when words are misspelled or the grammar is incorrect.

Back when I was AR/AP everyone else in the department would send all their emails to me for me to check before sending them out to clients. Like, damn y'all, this should be a basic skill.

It's something I feel I need to brush up on. I didn't need to study it at all in college because AP and my skills went to shit.

Snagret

It bums me out how bad american education is in regards to math. Someone itt described it as "surviving math" rather than actually learning it, and I think that's totally applicable. When math is presented to you as a long string of rules you have to pound into your brain of course most people are going to bounce off of it.

Public education seeks to educate kids in math the same way we do any other subject, but I really think it needs a much different approach. Problem solving, critical thinking, and pattern recognition are concepts that a lot of kids just aren't taught in relation to math, especially as toddlers before they even enter school.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
There are smart people and there are dumb people. The end. All intelligence tests have strong correlation with a general intelligence factor. The idea that people are just "smart in different ways" is an attempt to democratize intelligence so everyone can feel good.

Errr, this would be true even if there were multiple different types of intelligence. The question isn't whether there is an underlying correlation between general intelligence and specific intelligence, it's what is the structure of the residuals after that relationship is accounted for and what other covariates give additional predictive power.

I suggest taking a statistical modelling class -- like math, it's very useful to help you think about associations and causal structures in the world.

I'm a bit rusty, but given time I could complete the equation in the OP. Thing is, I actually really loved going through algebra, hands down one of my favorite classes. Algebra 2 was even better.

Can't believe I remembered FOIL though.

III-V

Public education seeks to educate kids in math the same way we do any other subject, but I really think it needs a much different approach. Problem solving, critical thinking, and pattern recognition are concepts that a lot of kids just aren't taught in relation to math, especially as toddlers before they even enter school.

Came here to say this. This is not a difficult expression to simplify. There are probably less than 10 concepts that are required to understand how to simplify this expression.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Came here to say this. This is not a difficult expression to simplify. There are probably less than 10 concepts that are required to understand how to simplify this expression.

1. Identity division (x/x = 1)
2. Drop implicit multiplication by 1 (1y = y)
3. FOIL factorization of polynomials [(x+3)(x-2) = x^2 + x - 6] -- which is just an applied case of distributing multiplication [3x = (2 + 1)x = 2x + x ]
4. Division is inverse multiplication [x/(1/3) = 3x/1 = 3x]

I think that's probably it.

But I think many people know those identities but can't bring them to mind. Like, a good experiment (WE DON'T DO EXPERIMENTS IN MATH!!!!) would be to experimentally give some people the question and ask them to solve it, some people a question and a set of hints and ask them to solve it, and some people a question and the solution and ask them to explain the solution.

Here's the thing for people saying that they took all these math courses before but couldn't solve the question.

I bet all you need is a 10min refresher, 20min tops.

If you understood the basics years ago, it never really goes away.

III-V

3. FOIL factorization of polynomials [(x+3)(x-2) = x^2 + x - 6]

But I think many people know those identities but can't bring them to mind. Like, a good experiment (WE DON'T DO EXPERIMENTS IN MATH!!!!) would be to experimentally give some people the question and ask them to solve it, some people a question and a set of hints and ask them to solve it, and some people a question and the solution and ask them to explain the solution.

I was thinking of even the basics

+ Mathematical Basics

5. Addition
6. Subtraction
7. Multiplication
8. Division

I mean all of this is the same language, and like any language you need to user stand how to use it.

eot

Banned
3. FOIL factorization of polynomials [(x+3)(x-2) = x^2 + x - 6] -- which is just an applied case of distributing multiplication [3x = (2 + 1)x = 2x + x ]

I had to google what the hell FOIL is and I found this:
http://www.dummies.com/education/math/pre-calculus/how-to-use-the-foil-method-to-factor-a-trinomial/

God damn, talk about making an easy problem hard

The Lamp

Weird. I was able to do this as a grammar school graduate with ease 4 years ago. I was able to solve it now as well even though I haven't used it in years. Do people really have trouble with this in the US as community college graduates?

Yes. We are so fucked.

Oh well. More job security for me.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

Well, that an experiment on the pedagogy of maths. But since the creation of computers, we do a lot of experiments in maths, :p. But the earlier discussion was about the scientific method, which in reality is very flexible and the most important part is that the results are reproducible.

Future

Yes. We are so fucked.

Oh well. More job security for me.

I actually do believe there is some correlation for people unable to try to do this type of work, and those that generally have a difficult time sticking jobs or simply getting through life. Try being the key word: different people find different things challenging, but ya gotta try to succeed and adapt in ways that work for you. Refusing to adapt to learn simple things like this is a flag for me that you might have trouble adapting to other challenges with the same criteria that cause you to ask similar questions: why do I need to do this? Why is this important? Why can't I simply do this other thing and not bother with this?

bill0527

Sorry, I think basic algebra is essential whatever the degree you're getting is.

Also, the solution to the problem is this one 99% sure:
5(x-3)/(x(y+6))

It was essential to my degree but absolutely of no use to the job I do today.

I got a BS in Finance and was required to take college algebra and take business calculus. I never saw any of the calculus outside of the course again. Most of the financial formulas used in the higher level degree courses were very basic algebra and most are already programmed into financial calculators and spreadsheets.

I think you can make this basic argument no matter what degree you are getting. Why do I, as a business major, have to sit in an art history class which consisted of nothing but memorizing pictures of art from prehistoric times up until the Roman Empire? This was an absolute waste of my time and money. I received an A in the course because I'm very good at short term visual memorization. However if you were to show me a single one of those slides today, 15 years after taking the course, I don't think I could identify a single one of them.

This leads to a bigger problem that I have with the 4 year college system. There is so much bloat and unnecessary, unapplicable coursework required and it's all in the name of making you a "well rounded person". The point of college is to become educated in a subject so that you can find gainful employment in the field. I have found in my two decades of working experience that employers don't really give a shit about how well rounded you are. They care that you have the knowledge and experience to do the job. Experience requirements are such a necessity to land almost any position right out of college, a persons time would be better spent interning, working co-ops, and doing network building rather than making them sit through courses that will have no meaning to them once the semester ends.

Errr, this would be true even if there were multiple different types of intelligence. The question isn't whether there is an underlying correlation between general intelligence and specific intelligence, it's what is the structure of the residuals after that relationship is accounted for and what other covariates give additional predictive power.

I suggest taking a statistical modelling class -- like math, it's very useful to help you think about associations and causal structures in the world.
I'm a math teacher and I did my MA thesis on the evidence for theories of multiple intelligences.

Correlations between general intelligence and specific intelligence absolutely are of importance in this discussion. If general intelligence models are false, One would expect that people could achieve low g with high specific intelligence in areas with high mental load.

Your last point is so generalized I don't know how how to respond to it. You're right that there would be dumb people even in a multiple intelligences model, but there wouldn't be "just" smart and dumb people, descriptively speaking. I was also tangentially talking about how that model has become popular because of its social value instead of actual evidence.

Are you familiar with ALEKS? The instructors at my college use it, in part to relieve math anxiety.
I strongly recommend ALEKS to absolutely anyone who is able to self-motivate their learning but has trouble learning in a typical math classroom.

KKRT00

People are saying that calculation like that are not useful in real world, but they are.
You just have to understand what you want to do and use correct transformation. Understanding how math works ease life.

I have quite nice real life example i used in the past and was surprised how many people did not understand this concept and that i could use one number to do "complex" calculation with such ease.

So, because my parents have a company i can write off VAT and additional tax from almost any product that in some way could be used in company.
Lets say the VAT is 23% on top Net price of product and additional TAX is 20% is taken from Net price.

Time to convert it into equation.
y = gross price
x = price after all taxes subtracted
z = Net price

y = z * 1,23
z = x / 0,8
so
y = x / 0,8 * 1,23
x = y / 1,23 * 0,8 or x = y * (1 / 1,23) * 0,8 so
x = y * 0,65
y = x / 0,65

So my operator is 0,65 and with it, I can check easily what something will really cost me or what is my budget in gross value.

So i can answer those questions easily:
I have $500 what can I buy for it? y = 500 / 0,65 => y = $769
So i can buy something thats gross price is $769.

Something cost $1000, how it will really cost me? x = $1000 * 0,65 => x = $650
It will cost me $650.

Looks easy as fuck, right? But most people do not understand this and do not know how to do something like this. For me its really baffling.

Tripon

We use ALEKS here at my school. It's an okay program, I also recommend Khan Academy's self help Math program.

.JayZii

Banned
Here's the thing for people saying that they took all these math courses before but couldn't solve the question.

I bet all you need is a 10min refresher, 20min tops.

If you understood the basics years ago, it never really goes away.
I think this is true. It's also why the "I'm a math teacher, and I think people who can't do this off the top of their head are idiots" responses are annoying. I haven't done this in like 10 years, leave me alone.
I mean all of this is the same language, and like any language you need to user stand how to use it.
How unfortunate.

Mossybrew

The kind of thinking that you need in algebra -- grouping abstractions together and using multiple steps to simplify a complex problem -- is, in fact, incredibly useful in everyday life and is a skill that needs to be honed and tested.

Nah, I don't think so. Algebra is completely worthless for most people, the fact that it is required for degrees that have nothing to do with math is a joke.

This leads to a bigger problem that I have with the 4 year college system. There is so much bloat and unnecessary, unapplicable coursework required and it's all in the name of making you a "well rounded person". The point of college is to become educated in a subject so that you can find gainful employment in the field. I have found in my two decades of working experience that employers don't really give a shit about how well rounded you are. They care that you have the knowledge and experience to do the job. Experience requirements are such a necessity to land almost any position right out of college, a persons time would be better spent interning, working co-ops, and doing network building rather than making them sit through courses that will have no meaning to them once the semester ends.

Agreed 100% - the whole "worldy education" blah blah is a relic of bygone age. Teach skills that are applicable in the real world for employment opportunities.

Miletius

I agree with the sentiment that subjects like algebra are meant to help people develop reasoning and problem solving skills as well as produce a well rounded college graduate. However, I also believe that these qualities could be taught by other courses that may be more accessible to students who don't feel comfortable about math.

I don't really see the big deal with somebody satisfying their Quant Reasoning requirement with Statistics, or Data Analytics. For that matter, I think that Comp Sci would satisfy every requirement as well.

I have always loved and always been great at math. But, my experience is not really relevant when we are talking about a societal level goal of educating more adults to be more successful. In that regard, I think College Algebra is unnecessary.

Two Words

All you non-STEM majors need algebra to calculate what score you need on your final exam to get the grade you want with weighted averages.

You're in a class with the following grading rubric and your scores, out of 100.

Test 1- 15%, 90
Test 2- 20%, 99
Project- 20%, 89
Homework- 15%, average of 92
Final Exam- 30%

You need to get a course score of 93.33 to get an A in the class. What grade do you need to get on the final?

Tenrius

Does that problem really appear difficult to so many people in this thread? It's like the most basic stuff. 

I learned how to do that when I was 12 (no exaggeration). As someone with a degree in applied maths & physics, of course I can still remember it (because you can't really do ANY maths/physics without knowing how to do these things).

One of my favorite classes in college was my algebra class. It was taught by a professor who looked and acted like Sheldon from the Big Bang theory. Math is great if you have a good teacher.

teiresias

Only thing that took me a minute to remember was to cross multiply for the divided fractions, but the factorization and simplification after that is rudimentary.

I don't do much higher level math in my work life outside of some of the stuff I need to do for circuits designs on occasion and even that becomes fairly simple compared to even algebra or diff eq.

Nydius

Agreed 100% - the whole "worldy education" blah blah is a relic of bygone age. Teach skills that are applicable in the real world for employment opportunities.

Analytical and logical problem solving with abstract concepts is applicable in almost every single real world employment opportunity. Even lower wage menial task work.

I read posts saying it could be taught through other subjects so I ask: Which ones? Language studies might be able to impart some knowledge of logical thinking if students took courses that delve deep into the concept of logical fallacies and critical thought but that still doesn't teach abstract problem solving. E: And please don't say coding/programming because coding IS math. It's algebra and calculus with words.

Two Words

I agree with the sentiment that subjects like algebra are meant to help people develop reasoning and problem solving skills as well as produce a well rounded college graduate. However, I also believe that these qualities could be taught by other courses that may be more accessible to students who don't feel comfortable about math.

I don't really see the big deal with somebody satisfying their Quant Reasoning requirement with Statistics, or Data Analytics. For that matter, I think that Comp Sci would satisfy every requirement as well.

I have always loved and always been great at math. But, my experience is not really relevant when we are talking about a societal level goal of educating more adults to be more successful. In that regard, I think College Algebra is unnecessary.
How is somebody supposed to take Statistics or Computer Science courses without understanding of algebra?

This thread just shows me how bad the American education system really is. I feel sorry for the people who think math is just memorizing useless steps, the education system failed you. I agree that we should try to teach math in a way that's relatable to real life situations if people are leaving high school without a basic understanding of algebra.

I've always found joy in solving math problems because it's problem solving in the simplest form so I'm very biased.

nel e nel

They are, often times labeled as reasoning or logic classes and typically in the philosophy department.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm a math teacher and I did my MA thesis on the evidence for theories of multiple intelligences.

Correlations between general intelligence and specific intelligence absolutely are of importance in this discussion. If general intelligence models are false, One would expect that people could achieve low g with high specific intelligence in areas with high mental load.

Your last point is so generalized I don't know how how to respond to it. You're right that there would be dumb people even in a multiple intelligences model, but there wouldn't be "just" smart and dumb people, descriptively speaking. I was also tangentially talking about how that model has become popular because of its social value instead of actual evidence.

None of what you said responded to my post?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
They are, often times labeled as reasoning or logic classes and typically in the philosophy department.

Logic is a very formal and notation heavy branch of mathematics (or mathematics if you want). If students can't solve the problem in the OP, I doubt they could pass the logic classes I have given as an adjunct.

Tenrius

Does that problem really appear difficult to so many people in this thread? It's like the most basic stuff. 

I learned how to do that when I was 12 (no exaggeration). As someone with a degree in applied maths & physics, of course I can still remember it (because you can't really do ANY maths/physics without knowing how to do these things).

Of course, the necessity of teaching certain kind of mathematical grunt work at college is a very much debatable topic. It's just that it applies to stuff like more difficult integration problems, differential equations beyond the basic etc – basically, stuff that typically takes a lot of time and effort for a human and that is easy for a computer. The example in the OP, though, it's not like that at all – it takes less then a minute to do for a human and you typically have to do it a lot in a variety of situations, so it's actually pretty useful in maths/physics.

TheExodu5

Banned
I was thinking of even the basics

+ Mathematical Basics

5. Addition
6. Subtraction
7. Multiplication
8. Division

Common factors also a good one. Much of the solution should become apparent when you see a 3, a 5, and a 15 in the same expression.

Honestly I feel that if you can't complete that problem then yes, you shouldn't be able to obtain a college degree. The techniques used (very few and very basic techniques) to solve this are taught in the Junior Certificate (13-15 year olds).

Algebra is the underpinning of a substantial amount of mathematics, especially when placed in an applied context. Whether it's physics, statistics, (most areas of) maths, programming, engineering, finance or economics, a strong basis in algebra is absolutely essential before you begin to even tackle the 'actual' problems. To (successfully) come out of secondary school, let alone college, without the basic skills needed to approach problems involving non-constant values is a failing of the educational system.

If the problem was that people were coming out of the Junior Certificate (entering high school I think?) with a child's level of reading comprehension, the solution wouldn't be to say "Well, let's just lower the testing standard or drop the material because they won't need to analyse fiction/articles/poetry in the future, and there are websites that they can just look at where somebody else has already explained it clearly", it's to re-evaluate the many failings which need to occur for this situation to occur in the first place, and to assess precisely what is being done wrong for this to occur.

Maths is an area where poor teachings in the beginning, and a failure to appropriately work to a level that allows you to 'catch up' initially if you fall behind, can result in disastrous consequences for one's competency later on if they fail to rectify it early. The amount of people who almost boast about their inability to do basic maths is frankly troubling as is the amount of people who claim they simply 'cannot do maths' (when the level of maths is basic and of fundamental importance) and write it off completely dooming themselves to failure. It's one of, if not the only, subject where one can make an argument and say with absolutely certainty that something is true and it's not open to interpretation and there is no argument against that. It's a subject where one not only needs to think in a very creative manner, but one which is essential to countless fields and is the underpinning of modern life.

To say that we don't use it in real life is not only blatantly untrue (yes, in reality the problems don't come in the form "x + y", that doesn't mean you aren't dealing with algebraic problems daily) but ignores how the same argument can be made for any topic in education which isn't English. Why learn history when people can just check Wikipedia? Why learn geography when I can just use Google Maps? Who cares about art classes when I won't be a painter and I can just hire one? Maths plays such an absolutely vital role in so many fields that any education which lacks it so sorely or has such flimsy requirements that a problem which literally just revolves around factoring is 'too hard' is not an education worth having.

Cyframe

I think it's one thing to talk about potential benefits of mathematics, it's another to leap to assumptions about ability, adaptability and life trajectory because a person doesn't get algebra in the way that it's presented in the classroom.

Most people use math daily but the school setting in America is far from ideal to foster a good foundation for mathematics. If people are looking at this situation with colleges and are just blaming the students, that isn't a logical conclusion reach. Especially for those touting problem-solving abilities but can't wrap their head around the school system in this country. To me, that's a bigger problem than not knowing basic algebraic functions.

There is a core problem with the way math is taught, and people will continue to hate math and struggle with it as long as nothing changes with the school system. Some people really need to take a tour of low-income city schools to realize why kids come out of the school without so-called fundamentals. Ever deal with a teacher that absolutely hated their job and put forth no effort into educating their classroom? How do you learn in that type of environment?

I think math could be taught more like English or History. Give a context to equations so that they aren't completely abstract and are interesting. Word problems dealing with apples or whatever are dull. When I was learning algebra in middle into high school, when I asked teachers what it was for, they just said problem-solving. That isn't a good answer, and most math teachers were like that. It made math boring and I hated it. Immediate practicality such as calculating a grade or family budgeting would be a great hook. Also, provide other methods for kids to explore to solve a problem. Some in this thread presented simplification methods that would get marked wrong if that wasn't how the problem was to be solved in the teacher's answer key.

I wish that the entire foundation of the US's education system could be reevaluated and restructured, and support given to low-income schools. Foster a love for learning rather than just tolerating it.

With math, I have to get into a kind of rhythm in order to do it. I understand everything and can do it, but I have to be in the mindset of doing it.

I graduated with a Associates in Applied Science in Process Technology

Yeah I couldn't figure out how to do that math problem. I know I knew when I was going threw the program for my Associates degree. The idea of taking advance Math courses is one of the reasons why I haven't went back to school for a programming degree.

Well yeah, you shouldn't be allowed to graduate from university if you don't know a few facts about fields, rings, modules, ideals and some basic Galois...ooh, that kind of algebra. Nevermind.

All you non-STEM majors need algebra to calculate what score you need on your final exam to get the grade you want with weighted averages.

You're in a class with the following grading rubric and your scores, out of 100.

Test 1- 15%, 90
Test 2- 20%, 99
Project- 20%, 89
Homework- 15%, average of 92
Final Exam- 30%

You need to get a course score of 93.33 to get an A in the class. What grade do you need to get on the final?
Let's see... Been a bit, and this isn't something I ever really cared about doing myself, but this shouldn't be too complicated. Something like...

First setting up an equation so that the left side are the grades of the assignments and their respective weights (with x standing in for the unknown needed grade for the final), and have the right side of the equation be the desired course grade of 93.33 like so:
90*.15+99*.2+89*.2+92*.15+.3x=93.33

Then, just algebra (basic addition, multiplication, subtraction, and division) from there:
64.9+.3x=93.33
.3x=28.43
x=94.76666...7

Something like that, right?

But yeah, point being, you need an understanding of algebra to know how to set up a problem like that, what to put where/on which side of the equation, and why. Otherwise, all that information (your grades and their weights) in meaningless. Algebra is the tool-set that lets you manipulate it to get to further information.

I'm a recent Masters graduate at one of Canada's top universities, and the highest level of math I was involved with was when I failed Grade 10 math two years in a row right before I dropped out of high school.

Fuuuuuck math.

Fuck math from a personal standpoint, I know it's super important to the world and all that. I just hate it. I hate it so much.

Mulgrok

There should be more emphasis of teaching real world context to equations. Students should develop the mindset of attaching meaning to the variables instead of just some kind of vague, abstract idea.

Top Bottom