• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late to the Party: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

bengraven

Zeliard said:
Brian Mitsoda and Obsidian need to kiss and make up. We need more of his writing in this industry.

Yep, 100% agreed.

I might actually like Obsidian games then.

Derrick01 said:
Yeah I'm going to get it after the sale if it's not there. Tired of waiting to play it really.

Holy shit, I got Bloodlines for $5 on Amazon a few years ago when no one was buying it. Now you can't seem to get it for less than $50.

http://www.ecrater.com/p/10131618/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines-best

$129!?

I see what you mean now.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Zeliard said:
Brian Mitsoda and Obsidian need to kiss and make up. We need more of his writing in this industry.

i dont think they should. one cancelled project and the other given a complete rewrite.

Zeliard

HK-47 said:
i dont think they should. one cancelled project and the other given a complete rewrite.

Right but it would be nice to have seen something from the two come to fruition. We'll never really know how it could have turned out now since Mitsoda is doing his own thing. Maybe one of these days. Very curious to see how Dead State turns out.

Guesong

Yay at finally being able to hit that "Post Reply" button! Hello all! :)

But on topic, VtM has to be my favorite game ever. In fact, it's the only game I own that I consistently reinstall after every reformat and that I never delete, it's just too awesome.

After the surely-incoming Steam Summer Sale, someone should definitively start a "GAF Plays VtM" thread. It's about time for my yearly playthrough anyhow :D.

Happy to see the music being talked about. I think it's the best atmosphere/moody music I've heard in a game.

Too bad I'm having all kind of troubles convincing my friends to give it a shot, though. :( Everyone owe it to themselves to give VtM a try.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Guesong said:
Yay at finally being able to hit that "Post Reply" button! Hello all! :)

Too bad I'm having all kind of troubles convincing my friends to give it a shot, though. :( Everyone owe it to themselves to give VtM a try.

Welcome to GAF, they must have let some new juniors in, and that's a great first post. Despite claiming to be an RPG fan, I waited way too long to play this game. I think most of the hold outs will feel the same way if they ever accept that there will never be a Steam sale.

Think of it this way: the next game you pay $20 for won't be nearly as good as Bloodlines.

StuBurns

Banned
HK-47 said:
Then you will never play it. its been forgotten and doesnt go on sale, ever.
If I was to buy it today, it would be the daily sale for like a quid tomorrow, I can't do that to myself.

Damn, guess i'll reinstall this one again :D Bought it on launch day! So much good replay value and be sure to install those unofficial patches!

antonz

Forsaken82 said:
The haunted mansion scared the crap out of me the first time i played it.
That ocean side resort is without a doubt one of the coolest maps in a game. The atmosphere is done so well and they handle the frights etc so well.

antonz

Kagari said:
lol. There's now a cheat to skip the Ocean House mission.
That is such a crime. I mean the overall story at the resort apes on movies like the shining and such but they do it so well and the whole thing slowly reveals itself as you explore the house.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
antonz said:
That ocean side resort is without a doubt one of the coolest maps in a game. The atmosphere is done so well and they handle the frights etc so well.

there's also the basement with zombies. I had goosebumps.

One part of the game I really really hated was when you had to find the Nosferatu Lair in Hollywood by going through that labyrinthine sewer.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Red Blaster said:
One part of the game I really really hated was when you had to find the Nosferatu Lair in Hollywood by going through that labyrinthine sewer.

Yeah, the sewer sucked. It was still more tolerable than the last mission, though.

epmode

I don't really like the widescreen mod for this game. The default FOV is way screwed up (which is fixable) and the UI is stretched. Not to mention that it cuts off a little bit of text way at the bottom of the screen. You can see this in the first room in the game. Walk into the bathroom and look at the watch behind the toilet.

4:3 - You can read the item text
16:10 - The text is cut off

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The UI was definitely unpleasant with the mod, but (without a patch/fix) there is no windowed mode and I cannot play with a wonky aspect ratio. That would drive me crazy.

epmode

Snuggler said:
The UI was definitely unpleasant with the mod, but (without a patch/fix) there is no windowed mode and I cannot play with a wonky aspect ratio. That would drive me crazy.
Change your videocard's scaling options so that the game plays with black bars instead of stretching to fill the screen. No different than letterboxed movies IMO!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
epmode said:
Change your videocard's scaling options so that the game plays with black bars instead of stretching to fill the screen. No different than letterboxed movies IMO!

That's how I have it currently.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
So I started the game, just got through the eh tutorial I guess. now Im in my department, I dont know.. this game has something.. I have a good feeling about it

3rdman

I broke down last night and bought it off Steam...Got through the tutorial. So far so good...

I also did a number of tweaks that I though I'd share in case anyone is interested.

1. Download Game off Steam
2. Download and install Unofficial Patch ver. 7.5 http://www.patches-scrolls.de/vampire_bloodlines.php
3. After installing the Unofficial Patch, navigate to the "Extras" folder and install the Resolution Patcher. (Others here may not like it, but it looks good to me).
4. Download and install the ENBSeries DX9 patch to enable better graphics options like HDR. http://enbdev.com/download_en.htm

You'll notice that if you leave the ENB settings at default, your game will grind to around 10 FPS...To rectify this, I copied the settings found at http://videogamegeek.com/thread/553575/unofficial-patches-fix-and-improve-game-to-excelle and applied them to my game.

It looks great now but there are some missing effects in the menus and cut scenes but the game itself looks ace. You can see before/after pics at the last link.

Happy hunting. :)

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
thanks! it looks so much better!

I always thought this game was an MMO. I remember a lot of people being excited by in on IGN years ago...but coz I thought it was an MMO It all kinda went by me.
Might look in to it when my backlog is a little lighter, I love vamps.

dgenx

GOD SHIT FUCK THE HOTEL D:

I got through the hotel the other day by turning my lights on and taking my earbuds out and playing music in the background. I am not worthy.

Yaska

3rdman said:
I broke down last night and bought it off Steam...Got through the tutorial. So far so good...

I also did a number of tweaks that I though I'd share in case anyone is interested.

1. Download Game off Steam
2. Download and install Unofficial Patch ver. 7.5 http://www.patches-scrolls.de/vampire_bloodlines.php
3. After installing the Unofficial Patch, navigate to the "Extras" folder and install the Resolution Patcher. (Others here may not like it, but it looks good to me).
4. Download and install the ENBSeries DX9 patch to enable better graphics options like HDR. http://enbdev.com/download_en.htm

You'll notice that if you leave the ENB settings at default, your game will grind to around 10 FPS...To rectify this, I copied the settings found at http://videogamegeek.com/thread/553575/unofficial-patches-fix-and-improve-game-to-excelle and applied them to my game.

It looks great now but there are some missing effects in the menus and cut scenes but the game itself looks ace. You can see before/after pics at the last link.

Happy hunting. :)
Thank you! Got my game working now.

KuroNeeko

Picking this up when I get home (finally!) but was just curious.

I'm assuming that since it's The Masquerade, you can only play as the Camarilla? Are all the clans represented? I haven't heard any mention of Gangrel, Tremere, Assamites or Lasombra.

Zeliard

KuroNeeko said:
Picking this up when I get home (finally!) but was just curious.

I'm assuming that since it's The Masquerade, you can only play as the Camarilla? Are all the clans represented? I haven't heard any mention of Gangrel, Tremere, Assamites or Lasombra.

Brujah
Gangrel
Malkavian
Nosteratu
Toreador
Tremere
Ventrue

euti

Neo Member
one of the best rpgs i've ever played. first playthrough as a gangrel brute, was so much fun to rip through your enemies with a katana
vampire_790screen001.jpg

damn nostalgia strikes back :/

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
euti said:
one of the best rpgs i've ever played. first playthrough as a gangrel brute, was so much fun to rip through your enemies with a katana
vampire_790screen001.jpg

damn nostalgia strikes back :/
Different Vampire game. i enjoyed Redemption but it had a lot of problems imo.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
:OOO

So I accidentally killed Chunk at the gallery... I'm usually nice to him...
went to Venture Tower and his twin brother is there, wearing shades.

Last Round is also way different with the new patch, whoa.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm in Hollywood now... replaying... again... makes me just want a sequel we'll never get even more :/

Top Bottom