• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest Xbox One Update releases to Insiders Today (Fluent Design)

I really like that the Xbox team are always trying to make things better but they've really dropped the ball here.

I hate it. I just want my old dash back please. This is awful.

Bsigg12

Maybe the fact the reaction to the new UI has been almost universally negative will encourage them to pull it, because I have to admit what they have there is a clear step back from what we currently have.

The current vertical sidebar that pops out when you hit your home button is pretty much perfect as it is.

Universally negative? I hate this update but I've seen plenty of plaudits for the team on social media today.

There are some strange design decisions for sure but I don't think it's the worse thing they have ever done. I prefer the card system in the new guide and I'm willing to give them until the launch of the Xbox One X to clean things up. That said, if everyone is submitting feedback, hopefully we can get enough to stir some changes to the initial Home screen.

Gek54

I loved the previous dash day one. This fall dash makes me want to punt my Bone out the back door. 

All that empty space, my darkened background is not that impotant.

A suggested friend who looks like some eight year old pipsqueak, this is more annoying than facebook, do not want.

NeoGAF club suggestion is about to get burned into my screen, don't need to see that either, I'm in a club, I'm good. 

Bigger more intrusive ads, I have never had a problem with Xbox ads, well except for the ugly garbage bag ads, now they are migrating toward the center of the screen.

The loss of pins from 24 down to just 18 now makes me want to cry.

Hitting the home button and not being able to hit the right trigger to jump to pins in the guide, feels like I have phantom arm.

Extra clicks to get to friends, party, and pins, why?

I do like that guide has more pins and the guide pandora controls are better but these are so minor. I would roll back if I could.

sKiTz

Oh I do not like this,

Seriously home is ruined, you can't adjust the size of anything or remove any tabs you don't want.

I have to scroll down for my pins (that I can't resize) and also cannot fit all of what I originally had pinned.

I loved the home screen the way it was, this new one it's really made it look real ugly as of right now.

Don't even get me started on reverting back to the guide button instead of swiping left. Also dislike that I now have to press A on my friends list to open it up from within the guide button.

Most of this feels like a massive step backwards, I really enjoyed the last major dashboard update, this.....not so much.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
First impression isn't great. Just looks like my pins are even further away now. Hopefully it's more intuitive in person.

Wish they'd go back to that metro interface on the 360. I think that was the best.

I personally dont mind the dash. Think it looks good and I can finally see my background more. (Just need them to remove that gray bottom part)

Just some things that need to be changed in terms of fitting more things on the screen and things that dont need to be behind as many clicks. Biggest example for me is the party. To access party now you gotta open up guide, go to multiplayer tab click on party and there it is rather than before where you just scrolled to party and it was already there for you.

Raide

First impression isn't great. Just looks like my pins are even further away now. Hopefully it's more intuitive in person.

Wish they'd go back to that metro interface on the 360. I think that was the best.
Right trigger still brings you to pins. You can also delete the blocks in between, so they are closer to the top.

Alx

I have to scroll down for my pins (that I can't resize) and also cannot fit all of what I originally had pinned.

You can move around the content you attached to your home page, press Y on the pins page (although it seems buggy right now, home keeps crashing)

Zedox

I like the new dash. I don't mind the ads. I'll probably only have PINS in my customizable block. I do hope that they let me add way more PINS. That's my only negative feedback.

Right trigger still brings you to pins. You can also delete the blocks in between, so they are closer to the top.

The home is fine how it is now. You have the most recent at the top, the other recent below it in small boxes then your pins at the bottom. This is 100 time better than this horror show.

If they want to add customization, put it in a separate "customization" tab where people can add and remove whatever they want. Dont destroy the home screen for it. Ridiculous.

There are some strange design decisions for sure but I don't think it's the worse thing they have ever done. I prefer the card system in the new guide and I'm willing to give them until the launch of the Xbox One X to clean things up. That said, if everyone is submitting feedback, hopefully we can get enough to stir some changes to the initial Home screen.

I have no problem with people who like it, cool by me buddy. Trying it out, I was in disbelief at how much I don't like it, no exaggeration. I'm not calling for heads to roll but I feel the Xbox needs fresh faces, a fresh outlook to join the current bunch . Xbox was my go to console more than the others, the UI/Live was one of the reasons but this gen there is always something more often than not I don't like what they are doing. Don't like being negative towards them and I know it's alpha but this is shit imo particularly the Home set up, the friends section and the achievement area. Big thumbs down from me.

Montresor

Guys who don't like the dash - please make your voices heard on whatever the platform the beta testers use (do beta testers have some kind of app for feedback?).

If we can get overwhelmingly negative reactions perhaps they will go back to the old dash.

I'm not in the preview program but I have not been impressed by anything I've seen with this new dash.

I like the current dash + Xbox Guide Menu. Don't take that away....

CookTrain

Guys who don't like the dash - please make your voices heard on whatever the platform the beta testers use (do beta testers have some kind of app for feedback?).

If we can get overwhelmingly negative reactions perhaps they will go back to the old dash.

I'm not in the preview program but I have not been impressed by anything I've seen with this new dash.

I like the current dash + Xbox Guide Menu. Don't take that away....

Not a chance will they go back, but they might at least change direction.

Zeta Oni

Universally negative? I hate this update but I've seen plenty of plaudits for the team on social media today.

I cant remember a single U.I. update that Xbox has done that has been met with such a mixed reaction, and even the more positive outlooks acknowledge that there are issues with it. Its not just here either, the subreddit's reaction has been the same, and I think that's a lot more telling.

Yeah, there are aspects of it that look nice, but there are several decisions in there that are a clear step back from what we currently have, and that should never be the case going on 4 years after launch.

I cant remember a single U.I. update that Xbox has done that has been met with such a mixed reaction, and even the more positive outlooks acknowledge that there are issues with it. Its not just here either, the subreddit's reaction has been the same, and I think that's a lot more telling.

Yeah, there are aspects of it that look nice, but there are several decisions in there that are a clear step back from what we currently have, and that should never be the case going on 4 years after launch.

I hear you, a lot of things shouldn't be the way they are four years in but they are. Look at their first party but that's for another thread.

From what I have seen on social media, some of these Xbox execs listen far too much to the die hard fanatics who won't tell them anything constructive anyway and it's hurting the brand. Xbox has so much potential not being realised. I find it a little sad and frustrating.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I believe this is a bug. There was a tutorial on moving blocks, but when I try myself the X1 just crashes to a black screen. For moving oins themselves within the block I think they made it so now press start or menu or whatever that button is called?

Could be. I will keep at throughout the process.

borges

Banned
This is definitely the buggiest update I've experienced. Home is completely broken at the moment.

Its expected to have issues. Its on alpha, and probably many months ahead of a proper release. This is time for all of us in the program to give feedback.

Ushay

Maybe the fact the reaction to the new UI has been almost universally negative will encourage them to pull it, because I have to admit what they have there is a clear step back from what we currently have.

The current vertical sidebar that pops out when you hit your home button is pretty much perfect as it is.

I wouldn't go that far, but there is definitely room to improve.

Get the feedback in there so they know.

Z O N E

This current dash has many small touches that could make it aesthetically pleasing.

I'm going to actually create an Xbox Version and then My Version and post them in here soon just to show what I mean.

This current dash has many small touches that could make it aesthetically pleasing.

I'm going to actually create an Xbox Version and then My Version and post them in here soon just to show what I mean.

Looking forward to see what you come up with, but what I can tell from looking at some vids...there still seems to be so many inconsistencies with the design...if you gonna go Fluent Design...why not just add it to all elements of the design language? Like I don't want to see metro style based guide menu when other elements have the acrylic design element.

Making no sense to me, to bad I'm not in alpha but gonna give my feedback in their forums.

Have you used this new sidebar? It not only let's you go home instantly but reduces the number of clicks to get to where you want to be.

So after the blocks were causing my xbox to crash, I deleted all but pins to see if I could fix the problem. It didn't.

But a question:
- how to I re-add Games With gold to home? I can't seem to find an area that will let me add the block anymore.

- on that note, does anyone have a running list of things you can add as blocks to home? It seems apps aren't an option (too bad, as Netflix showing a new release, a continue watching and a film from my list might be nice? Same with Twitch showing a few channels I follow as being online or not). So, after adding pins and individual games, I'm kind of at a loss for what i should even be using this feature for?

Orca

I like the new Guide. Took some getting used to after becoming accustomed to the old one, but it's easier to get to everything now. Going back Home is even a button click less than it used to be.

The loss of a row of pins sucks, but I took my top-played games and added them to the Home screen and that makes up for it to some extent. I mostly use it to remind me of games I want to play but haven't in a while, so I don't know if it's that great a loss - the backlog is big enough I don't need the reminder.

The way they have the latest app dominate the screen doesn't work. It's ugly at best.

Speed-wise, it's been great so far. Love the transfer tool for moving games - WAY faster than the old way of sorting/moving them. I like the edge highlighting for your selection, but I wish I could make the colour more vivid. Maybe there's an option that controls that, but I haven't found it if so.

That's what I do then. I thought there was a quicker way. Why couldn't they just add a quit/close game option after a long home button press.

You should only need to force close games if you want to restart, because of a bug, or a freeze or something like that.

Usually you should just never bother to close, and just open whatever you want.

Izuna

Banned
Performance is better on any possible way. What is your specific problem?

What, no way.it is constantly hitching between menus. I went to arrange some pins and it would jerk about for a few seconds. Sometimes I even hear the sound of a menu being selected but I can't see it yet.

Not to mention, pressing down to get to my pins isn't smooth at all.

Orca

What, no way.it is constantly hitching between menus. I went to arrange some pins and it would jerk about for a few seconds. Sometimes I even hear the sound of a menu being selected but I can't see it yet.

Not to mention, pressing down to get to my pins isn't smooth at all.

Do a hard reset? It's recommended to do one after major updates.

Z O N E

Looking forward to see what you come up with, but what I can tell from looking at some vids...there still seems to be so many inconsistencies with the design...if you gonna go Fluent Design...why not just add it to all elements of the design language? Like I don't want to see metro style based guide menu when other elements have the acrylic design element.

Making no sense to me, to bad I'm not in alpha but gonna give my feedback in their forums.

I honestly have so many ideas. I just did the sign in part of the guide and already found it more pleasing. Pretty much identical to the current sign in where it shows all your accounts.

Here's the link to them:

Xbox Version: http://imgur.com/xTVAnT4

My Redesigned Version: http://imgur.com/hcvv0Cx

That bolded font is just horrible and was my first change. Some minor change I did, rather than making all accounts there and you scroll through them, I made only as many that can show and then an option to open a new "card menu" for the rest of them. As I said before, I actually like the cards, but it doesn't need to be used AS often as microsoft want.

RdN

Having some instability with games no launching.

It works after a hard reboot, so if you face it, give it a try.

Z O N E

Recommended many things in the Feedback section.

I just really hope they listen. So much wasted space and areas in the guide that could be utilized rather than just saying "No, we want it like this because we want to show of our new "Guide Cards" attitude."

I like the cards, but it doesn't have to be used for EVERYTHING.

The glow around the selected tile is really nice, I just hope they change it to a square/rectangle glow, because an oval glow on a shape with 4 sides looks weird personally.

I did a redesign of the "Sign in" guide, I could do more but I would be on Photoshop all day for days because of what I could suggest.

Xbox version: http://imgur.com/xTVAnT4

My version: http://imgur.com/hcvv0Cx

I really hope they listen to all the feedback we give.

Recommended many things in the Feedback section.

I just really hope they listen. So much wasted space and areas in the guide that could be utilized rather than just saying "No, we want it like this because we want to show of our new "Guide Cards" attitude."

I like the cards, but it doesn't have to be used for EVERYTHING.

The glow around the selected tile is really nice, I just hope they change it to a square/rectangle glow, because an oval glow on a shape with 4 sides looks weird personally.

I did a redesign of the "Sign in" guide, I could do more but I would be on Photoshop all day for days because of what I could suggest.

Xbox version: http://imgur.com/xTVAnT4

My version: http://imgur.com/hcvv0Cx

I really hope they listen to all the feedback we give.

What's your name, will give yah an upvote.

So after using it a bit more I'm still not a fan, the top row of the main screen being more pointless crap I don't want to see taking up space is really annoying. They're doing this more and more.

Friend playing this why not join him crap, suggested group crap, advert for Tekken games crap. >_> None of that is more priority important to display than my pins.

And why do I need to click more times to see things now? The side menu thing on the previous dashboard was great! Fast and displayed everything I needed with little hassle, now I feel like I have to click extra clicks and have another menu pop out just to actually see my friends list. Don't even get me started on the Achievement menu and the social page being a mess order wise.

Meeeh.

After using it some more...like most, the lacklustre home page and limited number of pins are my biggest issues, but here's an ongoing list of bugs/things I wish they would change.

Home Page:
  • Ideally you could customize the tiles here. Would love to have the most recent game/app be the main image, followed by 4 squares where I could put media apps like Netflix, Plex, Twitch and Youtube then under that customize to have: My Games + Apps and my 3-5 most used games.
  • Worst case scenario, if you can't customize the 4 tiles directly under your current game/app, I think they should consider making them be related to that game/app. Friends playing, broadcasts, current streams, etc.
  • The suggested friend tile really does seem like something I will never, ever use. The tile next to it hasn't shown me anything useful yet either. These should be changed.

Blocks:
  • More pins, please. I mean, the little icon for the pins takes up the space of at least 3 actual pins that could be placed there.
  • Anytime I edit one, the X1 crashes to a black screen. So I can't re-order the blocks.
  • It seems weird to me that you can't add apps to the home (unless I'm missing something?). The most useful blocks for me would be Netflix (showing a new release, my most recent "continue watching" and maybe something from "my list"? Lots of options to pull out. Same goes for something like Twitch pulling out the most popular streams or streams that you follow that are currently live?
  • There should be a list of things you can actually add to the home page as a block somewhere. For example, I heard you can add achievements? But I can't seem to find a way to actually do so. Once I deleted the Games With Gold block, I couldn't figure out how to re-add it.
  • When I go to move a pin but back out of the menu, the X1 moves to the home page instead of the pins block and worse...the analog and d pads stop working entirely until I press a bumper or trigger.

Guide:
  • The current order of items under the "home" button when you initially press the guide are "my games/apps > store > pins." In other words, it's quicker to go from the guide to the store than it is from the guide to either my games/apps or pins. I feel like the order should be "my games/apps > pins > store" so that guide + down brings you to pins instead of store.
  • As the guide limits the number of pins you can display, I wish that they would allow you to customize which can show up on the guide separate from which show up on the block. That's if we can't just increase the number of pins we have.
  • I'm okay with not all of the friends showing up immediately, but anyone marked as favourite should be immediately viewable.

Misc:
  • The switch to vertically tiled game box arts makes the "Browse Games" style tiles look really awkward. Lots of empty space that doesn't look designed yet.

Here's a link to the forum post in case anyone wants to upvote it. https://forums.xbox.com/en-US/thread/df2c5d95-e7bf-48f3-9d1c-1246bd726ba1

Chris1

What they should have done with the home page blocks is how the Windows 10 start menu is. You can add groups and can pin stuff to that group and I can resize it how I want. So if I want a MP group I can pin all my MP games to that group etc and resize each tile individually. If I want Halo to be a bigger tile than say CoD, I can do that.

The shit they have now is just their attempt to shove Mixer down our throats even more

For example
ACrGcX4.png

RedAssedApe

Banned
it looks alright so far...but nothing beats demo-ing it yourself so you can get accustomed to the nuances.

is this gonna be like how people wanted blades back for 360 every time they updated that? :D

Top Bottom