• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest Xbox One Update releases to Insiders Today (Fluent Design)

etta

my hard graphic balls
Yes i did. Ads are gone? I see them on main screen they take like 50% of information displayed there. Community tab is one huge ad itself.

kL2OJVk.png

Yea they should put the Games with Gold and Fortnite ads on the first row as smaller icons, leave the second row for Recently Used only.

cackhyena

These dash changes are getting ridiculous. They finally nailed the one they have now, I just don't understand the need to constantly change the dashboard. It was cool at first but this is like the fourth major change they've done within two years.
The current one is a mess.

The video suggests they are doing exactly that.
I've heard that one before. Granted aspects of the UI aren't quite as bad/slow as they used to be. But to this day Party Chat will randomly stop working, dump people out of the party without notifying them, or give an error code claiming there is something wrong with your internet when there just isn't. Sending and receiving XBL messages just plain doesn't work across the suite of devices it claims to support. I get that a lot of those problems are probably the service backend but c'mon.

that pig has quite a few layers of lipstick on it at this point.
Indeed it does. Indeed it does :(

Chris1

Fortnite - pure ad
Games with Gold - pure ad if you don't have XBL Gold sub.
Suggested friend - pure ad to some random/sponsored active social media user
Don't miss the sale - pure ad of their storefront
Tips - useful sure but i was not able to turn that shit off on previous dash, it was always present on main screen even if clicked on it.
GwG tile doesn't appear if you don't have gold. That's the gold hub it only appears for gold members I believe

Yea they should put the Games with Gold and Fortnite ads on the first row as smaller icons, leave the second row for Recently Used only.

Yeah, I agree with this. Suggested friends is essentially useless and could just be added to the Friends tab or something.

Caayn

As for the first row on the main tab I hope that hey hide the hints/tips with download/install progress like on the current dashboard. It'd be a shame if we lost that info on the home screen.
GwG tile doesn't appear if you don't have gold. That's the gold hub it only appears for gold members I believe
Doesn't that get replaced by a "Get Gold now!1!1!!" ad when you don't have Gold though?

dmix90

Well i doubt that in this case they will extend your recently launched apps list..... instead they will put ad about subscribing to gold or some junk food.

D3VI0US

I feel like MS just makes shit different with only slight improvements for the better. Maybe I get to a few things slightly faster and I like that I can customize but I don't see any huge improvements just a couple minor ones.

U2NUMB

So looks like the double A to go to home is gone right? Guide out and it highlights Home right away.. thats huge..

I love that they refresh stuff all the time.. I kinda think the home page is a little lacking in content but I am all for trying something new.. I would enjoy the speed they show here.

So looks like the double A to go to home is gone right? Guide out and it highlights Home right away.. thats huge..

I love that they refresh stuff all the time.. I kinda think the home page is a little lacking in content but I am all for trying something new.. I would enjoy the speed they show here.

Double-tap of the Xbox button to go home has been gone for about a year now I think? I'm 90% sure that was part of last Fall's update. NXOE was 2015.

U2NUMB

Double-tap of the A button to go home has been gone for about a year now I think? I'm 90% sure that was part of last Fall's update.

Not double tap sorry wrong term, but you do have to hit A twice still just not quickly.. right now when you pull out the guide you hit a... then a again when it switches to home. This seems to highlight Home in the guide once you pull it out.

Not double tap sorry wrong term, but you do have to hit A twice still just not quickly.. right now when you pull out the guide you hit a... then a again when it switches to home. This seems to highlight Home in the guide once you pull it out.

Oh! I confused myself anyway and thought that by "A" you mean the Xbox button for some reason. But yeah, it definitely looks like hitting the Xbox button you go to the guide with the selection automatically on "home". Not too shabby, though I didn't have any complaints about the double tap.

The current one is a mess.

I can't say it's a mess but it feels very "engineer" driven. It's not as easy to get around as it should be, nor is the slow Home hub really warranted.

I really loved how fast the XMB was on the PS3, and if this overhaul can get me closer to that level of fluidity I will be grateful. Can't wait for the test to go live!

Alx

Eh, not too fond of the changes, the more they "improve" their dashboard and the less consistent it seems to be. Bunch of designs replacing each other, large tiles, tiny tiles, circles and rectangles, horizontal menus over other horizontal menus... I still think the original Windows8 design was their best : consistent, clean and efficient.
They should stop designing their UI based on user feedback, and rather let designers build a well thought out one.

Also I still can't see any option for split-screen or PiP.

dmix90

But I see zero ads in that top shot.
Social media = ads
Mixer/Twitch = Social media = ads
Achievement pics = oh what game my friend is playing? = ads

Nah...well hopefully you won't ever see it like that. Ignorance is bliss. Life is probably better that way.

borges

Banned
It's a bit ridiculous how often MS does complete dashboard changes, but the current one sucks anyways.

Current dashboard does not suck IMO. Its fast, and everything I need its right there in the menu bar to a few clicks distance.
Though I agree its a good idea to stick with a design over time to not confuse users, change -in the sense of evolution- and for the better its something good for sure.

Caayn

It has been a long way since 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhe6jV-APwM

Kinda miss how clean the UI looked at first
It's kinda funny how ahead of Amazon and Google they were with the Kinect 2.0 voice recognition and control. I remember testing it with random search commands and it working pretty well. For example asking for "Xbox show me movies with Will Smith" actually worked and showed me movies that starred Will Smith.

Zedox

It's kinda funny how ahead of Amazon and Google they were with the Kinect 2.0 voice recognition and control. I remember testing it with random search commands and it working pretty well. For example asking for "Xbox show me movies with Will Smith" actually worked and showed me movies that starred Will Smith.

Microsoft is usually ahead of other companies...then they abandon their idea/product...then other companies make it popular.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Social media = ads
Mixer/Twitch = Social media = ads
Achievement pics = oh what game my friend is playing? = ads

Nah...well hopefully you won't ever see it like that. Ignorance is bliss. Life is probably better that way.

That's quite some shade of cynicism you're wearing, there.

Probably best stay away from talking to people who play games, just in case they say something good about one you don't own.

Unfortunately you needed a big console connected to a TV for something that tiny boxes can do these days.

Funny enough, I still don't see a Cortana home device on the market yet. You'd have thought Microsoft would be on that by now, because I don't want Alexa and Google Assistant is worse than Google Now imo.

Top Bottom