• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laura Dale: NX battery 3 hours max on dev kit, dock improves performance, touchscreen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xhaner5

Neo Member
UGH!!!

Rats I think I'll have to pull some of those explanations back, way back, but I think could do HDMI output and all the external dock input passthroughs, but I think not for SCD ontop of all that into a single connector.

I was mixing up USB Type C with USB Micro B. This is very weird. I don't know much about TypeC nor Thunderbolt, I just looked it up, I only heard about it a week ago very vaguely-

I'm not in the mobile industry I don't follow all that. Sorry.

I couldn't get through my head why everyone was going crazy thinking USB 2.0 Micro could do HDMI and or even SCD.

I had no idea USB Type C has 24 pins. Facepalm.

220px-USB-Type-C.svg.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_Type-C

Ofcourse immediately, Jamie kocked on the doorstep:
tpYZAOn.jpg

Banned
Slightly off topic.

It's Emily Roger's. Not Rodgers. There's no D. I don't know why this bugs me lol.

She's not the daughter of Aaron Rodgers guys.

Back on topic.

The three hour battery life is for the dev kit and I believe they'll aim for 4+ with max brightness and volume and WiFi by the time it launches.

Doesn't bother me too much. This will be docked 95% of the time for me lol.

Matbtz

Slightly off topic.

It's Emily Roger's. Not Rodgers. There's no D. I don't know why this bugs me lol.

She's not the daughter of Aaron Rodgers guys.

Back on topic.

The three hour battery life is for the dev kit and I believe they'll aim for 4+ with max brightness and volume and WiFi by the time it launches.

Doesn't bother me too much. This will be docked 95% of the time for me lol.

Yes same here. I secretly hope for the possibility to charge it with a power bank though.

UGH!!!

Rats I think I'll have to pull some of those explanations back, way back, but I think could do HDMI output and all the external dock input passthroughs, but I think not for SCD ontop of all that into a single connector.

I was mixing up USB Type C with USB Micro B. This is very weird. I don't know much about TypeC nor Thunderbolt, I just looked it up, I only heard about it a week ago very vaguely-

I'm not in the mobile industry I don't follow all that. Sorry.

I couldn't get through my head why everyone was going crazy thinking USB 2.0 Micro could do HDMI and or even SCD.

I had no idea USB Type C has 24 pins. Facepalm.

Yeah I was about to quote your earlier post and point out that USB-C does HDMI, but you figured it out!

Charging fast while delivering an HDMI signal is why I want USB-C on the Switch.

shandy706

Why are people discussing whether or not it might have active cooling in the portable?

You can see the vent for the fan in multiple shots. Looks just like a laptop vent too.

Z3M0G

Not sure how I missed this thread.

- Honestly surprised if dock provides more performance
- Not surprised at all with battery life, and perfectly OK with it given what this device is doing

Why are people discussing whether or not it might have active cooling in the portable?

You can see the vent for the fan in multiple shots. Looks just like a laptop vent too.
Because it likely runs at lower clock rate in portable mode to save energy. And because it won't need to output 1080p when portable (assuming 720p screen rumor is correct)

shandy706

Because it likely runs at lower clock rate in portable mode to save energy. And because it won't need to output 1080p when portable (assuming 720p screen rumor is correct)

I suppose passthrough venting is possible, but the size of this thing (and probable large battery size) vs only 3 hours of battery life = low profile active fan to me.

There may be an extra fan in the base to push harder and an RPM internal fan increase while docked.

Dual fan system.

Nintendo Switch mid-generation new model (like Xbox slim, wiiU pro, etc.) will probably improve on that

3 hours makes me sad, but so it is. Console on the go was always going to be tough..

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
I don't understand how 3 hours can be considered even remotely acceptable. Devices like the Edge7, packing at least double the resolution of whatever the Switch will be (assuming 1080p... but if they did something ridiculous like 720p then we're talking quadruple), can easily get 10 hours SOT on a single charge. And network signal is the biggest culprit regarding mobile battery life, something the Switch wouldn't even have to worry about.

This place needs to start doing basic intelligence tests for new members because it's getting embarrassing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom