• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LawBreakers FREE WEEKEND on Steam

Please don't be disingenuous. Thanks.

There doesn't seem to be anything disingenuous about that comment. Are you sure you used the right word?

I'd actually say this follow-up post is even more of a waste of time, as there are still no actual criticisms given and reading it just takes up more time than the previous post, which was more clearly "shitposting" and thus was easier for my brain to ignore.

The first sentence just restates the previous post in a less confrontational way, the poster then goes on to state that his opinion is "accepted reality", and then the point is restated in slightly different terms to lend itself more credence.
Ditto on this totally.

Anyway, back on topic: this game looks pretty fun, and hopefully enough people will be playing this weekend for me to get a sense of how the game "should" feel. But it'll probably go back to being dead after the weekend is over, unfortunately....

If you need someone to play with add me up(my alt profile is linked to my GAF account). I can play around 6PM EST onwards on Saturday.

There doesn't seem to be anything disingenuous about that comment. Are you sure you used the right word?

Whatever the criticism was, it wasn't "I'm not being paid to play"; that was just an hyperbolic statement derived from the user not liking the game (for whatever reasons, which I don't care about). Saying that "I'm not being paid to play" was the criticism itself, is disingenuous.

And this whole conversation is both pointless and surreally stupid, so this is my last post on the matter.

The game is bad, that's not a neogaf thing, that's pretty much an accepted reality at this point.

no, the game isnt bad. and no, thats not a generally accepted opinion.

it just has giant competitors and the misfortune to have cliff b. as its spokesperson / marketing guy.

-MD-

It is my opinion that the game is not worth my time on it's own merits and that they would have to provide me monetary gain before I'd be willing to subject myself to it again.

I'm not sure what's unreasonable about that. The game is bad, that's not a neogaf thing, that's pretty much an accepted reality at this point.

Edit: Actually, let's say the game isn't worth many people's time or money, that's a more fair assessment then just saying it's bad.

Sheesh, how badly did you get stomped in the beta?

Budi

Game is at 445 players with a peak of 527 at Steam Charts, is that good?
That's not a lot. But it's good that some people are atleast checking the game out, hope they like it and stick around. And I'm sure the peak will be much higher by when the free weekend ends.

Edit: Doubled already.

SomTervo

Another bad decision?

What? It's apparently an excellent game which was mismanaged from a market/audience perspective so flopped.

A free weekend is an absolutely perfect idea. It's what a number of us have been calling for since it launched.

If people aren't willing to make the up-front investment while they've got Overwatch, etc, then let them in for free to check it out. If the game's strong enough it will sway them.

"Hey guys, lets do a free weekend of our game that is almost 100% dead the same weekend as the new Call of Duty Free open Beta, and at the beginning of one of the most jam packed months for releases this year"

Oh shit. This does hamstring it a bit.

Kevin

I wish this game offered just a regular simple deathmatch mode so that I could get it and play it with my brother. Don't even care about other competitive multiplayer modes.

selfnoise

I installed this on a whim and ended up finding it reasonably entertaining, enough to probably invest in down the line. The free weekend definitely convinced me I could like the game, but not necessarily convinced me there will be anyone to play it with.

I do think "faster Overwatch" is something I could get behind. Not that this game is exactly that but over time I've started to find Overwatch slower and slower.

I didn't really like the look of the main menu or the in game UI, but the gameplay feels okay. Not convinced to buy it, but was glad they gave me a chance to properly try it for free instead of having to invest and change my mind later.

Cliffy B made the same mistake as Tameen from Ninja Theory did back in DmC's development- You don't shit on a popular thing when you're trying to promote your game, because ideally you're trying to win over people from that popular thing =_=

selfnoise

Oh, and another thing... what is up with the graphics in this game? I have everything on Ultra, and running it super-sampled, and the characters still look both fuzzy and aliased.

Tapejara

Played a few matches and I've been having fun with it. I'm tempted to jump in, but the elephant in the room is of course the player numbers. I'm fine with a small playerbase (Rising Storm 2 and Titanfall 2 never break 1500 players on PC and I can still find matches with ease), but seeing how the game had trouble holding two hundred players prior to the free weekend makes me apprehensive. I'm sure that's the problem Boss Key is facing though; players enjoying Lawbreakers but apprehensive about the game's longevity -> no one taking the chance by picking it up -> the playerbase never growing. I hope the numbers pick up, because I could see myself playing this more, I just don't want to spend $30 CAD now when in a few months time there's no guarantee people will still be playing.

The game is pretty much dead, last week it had 40 players or so, this is beating on a dead horse, I dont think F2P will change anything, players will still drop it after a day or two.

If this game was on XB1 and didnt have such a reputation for being a ghost town (which means there'd be absolutely NO chance of finding Aussie matches), I'd have given the free weekend a shot.
Not all the character designs are hideous and I heard good things about the game play. This game could be fun for Americans and Europeans.

Mooreberg

The game is pretty much dead, last week it had 40 players or so, this is beating on a dead horse, I dont think F2P will change anything, players will still drop it after a day or two.
I don't think F2P will help either. The time for that was at launch, when they already knew going in that beta participation was low. When your audience is that small, new players are being constantly subjected to matchmaking results that are completely illogical.

I don't think F2P will help either. The time for that was at launch, when they already knew going in that beta participation was low. When your audience is that small, new players are being constantly subjected to matchmaking results that are completely illogical.

They really dropped the ball focusing their ad campaign on how the game was all about skill based gameplay only to go and fuck over anyone that was good at the game by intentionally "balancing" their team by giving them teammates that were really bad at the game.

I still don't understand how you can be stupid enough to design a game that's skill based and then balance teams based on cumulative skill rather than individual skill.

Top Bottom