• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LawBreakers |OT| Zero G, With Cliffy B

renzolama

I'll repeat the request/wish for more granular control options for controller. I own the game on PC and PS4 (gotta be able to play upstairs too!) and every controller scheme leaves me feeling like there's at least 1 action that's completely misplaced for me. Using bumper jumper feels like a fundamental requirement in a game with so much mobility/shooting potential, but that places blindfire onto the dpad which is just bananas. I'd love to see a fully customizeable option...maybe this has already been addressed for future consideration?

SublimeO12

Neo Member
I'll repeat the request/wish for more granular control options for controller. I own the game on PC and PS4 (gotta be able to play upstairs too!) and every controller scheme leaves me feeling like there's at least 1 action that's completely misplaced for me. Using bumper jumper feels like a fundamental requirement in a game with so much mobility/shooting potential, but that places blindfire onto the dpad which is just bananas. I'd love to see a fully customizeable option...maybe this has already been addressed for future consideration?

we're looking at adding more configs in the short term for a future patch, doing full custom controls is actually quite a bit more work so that's may come later. for now, if you tell me exactly what config you want, I can get it added.

You want a bumper jumper config but with blindfire not on d-pad?

arimanius

we're looking at adding more configs in the short term for a future patch, doing full custom controls is actually quite a bit more work so that's may come later. for now, if you tell me exactly what config you want, I can get it added.

I would love the alternative config without the weapon swap and ultimate being switched. So basically normal config with blindfire moved to L3 from the d-pad.

E92 M3

What is a stab precision attack? A headshot?

Just head stab - which will be very rare due to the mobility.

That's a minor nerf

50 damage is a huge nerf, my friend.

I'm pretty okay with it though. The damage is still there, it just requires a bit more precision. If anything, a good Wraith shouldn't even feel the difference.

It's not that simple - I wish it was though.

This is the key: "Enemy impulses now affect Wraith's Wasp Stab and Slide abilities."

Instigator shots should now knock them back when they are lunging, just like it does to dashing Assassins.

Yeah, just nerfing the fun.

Honestly, I am not happy that BK is starting off with nerfs. Perfect balance is not fun, and I will not play this game if it eventually turns into teamshooting fest like Destiny.

For example: Why was GS knife headshot nerfed? It was so rare to see a knife kill from one full health, but felt very satisfying.

Again, nerfing the fun.

SublimeO12

Neo Member
What is a stab precision attack? A headshot?

Precision attack means the crosshair was directly over the target when the damage is dealt. The hitbox on the Wasp stab is fairly generous, so this means if you're accurate with it you'll get the full damage, if you're off target it will still hit but deal less damage. Has nothing to do with headshots. Same mechanic right now exists on Assassin blades and it works pretty well there.

Yeah, just nerfing the fun.

Honestly, I am not happy that BK is starting off with nerfs. Perfect balance is not fun, and I will not play this game if it eventually turns into teamshooting fest like Destiny.

For example: Why was GS knife headshot nerfed? It was so rare to see a knife kill from one full health, but felt very satisfying.

Again, nerfing the fun.

What would you rather them do? They state GS has been dominant in terms of combat, and I'm sure they aren't just making that up. They have the statistics, we don't.

Would you rather them nerf a different part of GS' kit that is combat related?

I get that nerfing some fun (albeit rare) stuff feels bad, but if the role is overperforming relative to everyone else, something has to give. It's not like the class is even close to being ruined or anything.

E92 M3

What would you rather them do? They state GS has been dominant in terms of combat, and I'm sure they aren't just making that up. They have the statistics, we don't.

Would you rather them nerf a different part of GS' kit that is combat related?

I get that nerfing some fun (albeit rare) stuff feels bad, but if the role is overperforming relative to everyone else, something has to give. It's not like the class is even close to being ruined or anything.

The knife was never an issue, don't know why it was touched - all I'm saying.

The knife was never an issue, don't know why it was touched - all I'm saying.

They say GS' combat ability in general is the issue. Would you rather them nerf another, more common part of his kit? Or would you rather them nerf something that may be slightly overtuned (I think the one shotting thing is cool, but also kind of bullshit) albeit difficult to hit. Hitting that will still result in a kill almost certainly, it will just take a marginally longer amount of time.

They have numbers, we don't. I'm not confident in saying what is/isn't the issue because I have no data besides anecdotal stuff, and that's not good data to use.

Perineum

Everything looks good on those patch notes. Loving the quickness on these. That's a testament on the awesome team at work on this game.

I'm fine with the GS nerfs---dude is buff. Now with that fix coming for not being able to shoot I can consistently wreck, and 10 damage nerf doesn't sound too bad on paper. Plus headshots = a free tele? Awesome. Rewarding skill and aim. <3

renzolama

Without having a chance to test for confirmation, I think I'd be happy with something like:

R1 Blindfire
R2 Fire
L1 Jump
L2 Alt Fire

Triangle: Swap
Square :Reload
Circle: Key Ability
X: Ability Two

LClick: Ability Three
RClick: Kick

The important part is really just having L1 Jump R1 Blindfire, the rest is minor. For high mobility classes with automatic weapons in zero-g you really want access to the jump/blindfire on the shoulders so you can maneuver without sacrificing movement/camera control with thumbs.

Edit: And thanks a huge amount for the consideration...I won't hold my breath to see new options show up immediately but it's great to see so much developer interest in feedback

I just played with Harrier. She feels fine still. Definitely not nerfed to oblivion.

Wraith is now more skillbased. If you land the knife, you do the same amount of damage.

It's fine overall imo

Loving the game so far...my confusion is what the heck are metals and holos in the stash drops?

They are stickers for your weapons iirc. If you go on an individual character and customize their weapon, you should see them

I just played with Harrier. She feels fine still. Definitely not nerfed to oblivion.

Wraith is now more skillbased. If you land the knife, you do the same amount of damage.

It's fine overall imo

They are stickers for your weapons iirc. If you go on an individual character and customize their weapon, you should see them

Pretty sure the patch releases tomorrow.

arimanius

Precision attack means the crosshair was directly over the target when the damage is dealt. The hitbox on the Wasp stab is fairly generous, so this means if you're accurate with it you'll get the full damage, if you're off target it will still hit but deal less damage. Has nothing to do with headshots. Same mechanic right now exists on Assassin blades and it works pretty well there.

So sounds like the wraith nerf isn't to bad if it's exactly like the assassin blades.

Nerfs too early can kill a game. I'd rather see buffs than nerfs.

Agree on the killing part. Just give the community time to figure out tactics and counters. I often worry these days that devs head down a tinkering path where they never can get the balance right.

Have they fixed the "fake" Fullscreen mode on PC, where you need to switch to Borderless Windowed mode and then back to Fullscreen every time you relaunch the game to get true Fullscreen? It's not a huge deal, just kind of annoying to do every time.

Kayant

Wraith's nerf is fine in my eyes. Given the movement advantage in terms of jump reset over Assassin I always felt it was unfair to me Assassin was the only one to get that treatment.

"fully charged Omega damage and reduced the headshot multiplier on the TAC-knife so that it no longer one-shots squishy enemies."
Partly agree here in the omega damage but that Tac knife change seems unneeded for such a skilled and rare move.

Happy with Harrier change it was more annoying than anything for me but the change isn't that big and maybe I get to escape surprise Convergence now LUL.

On another note loving this game to pieces. Remembers me of the time I felt playing RL and still do!

SublimeO12

Neo Member
Wraith's nerf is fine in my eyes. Given the movement advantage in terms of jump reset over Assassin I always felt it was unfair to me Assassin was the only one to get that treatment.

"fully charged Omega damage and reduced the headshot multiplier on the TAC-knife so that it no longer one-shots squishy enemies."
Partly agree here in the omega damage but that Tac knife change seems unneeded for such a skilled and rare move.

Happy with Harrier change it was more annoying than anything for me but the change isn't that big and maybe I get to escape surprise Convergence now LUL.

On another note loving this game to pieces. Remembers me of the time I felt playing RL and still do!

About the tac-knife change - philosophically we feel like the game is more fun when the combat dance has some back and forth to it, and so we try to stay away from one shot kills as much as possible because they leave little room for counterplay.

Patch notes look good, I feel like they touched the classes that have been too dominant lately. Harrier's Ult was getting out of control and gunslinger was just a little too strong. Wraith even after last beta's nerfs was still a stab spamming king that got many easy kills.

Enemy impulses now affect Wraith's Wasp Stab and Slide abilities.
This is going to be great. I hated how I could Pulsar right into a Wraith's face and he could still just slide/stab straight through it into me.

I will echo the requests of many here for more granular control options. Being able to set ability bindings per class and have toggle or hold for the movement ability would be huge. As it is right now, it's hard to get a comfortable all-class layout as for some you want your movement to just be a normal button (like for Gunslinger's warp) but others it'd be better on a hold (like Vanguard thrust or Enforcer).

The solution for leavers needs to be given priority too, I was hoping something would happen in this patch. RPS's review/thing just went up and leavers ruining games was one of their complaints as well.

E92 M3

You guys watch, Wraith will be considerably worse - at least on the ps4. I always wonder why devs go with these crazy nerfs. Why not subtly tweak and see how it performs?

Kayant

About the tac-knife change - philosophically we feel like the game is more fun when the combat dance has some back and forth to it, and so we try to stay away from one shot kills as much as possible because they leave little room for counterplay.
Fair point I appreciate that view. Really though the changes you guys have been making having been quite fair in my eyes.

Keep up the good work!

You guys watch, Wraith will be considerably worse - at least on the ps4. I always wonder why devs go with these crazy nerfs. Why not subtly tweak and see how it performs?

Could be worse, they could always go the Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2 route and nerf the movement speed of every single character in the game by 75% lol

They ruined the entire game with that one nerf after they spent years developing the moment to moment gameplay and maps around a high speed pace. They dropped movement speed across the board by a massive amount, 75%!!!, because people were complaining about balance issues that were not issues at all. People didn't want to switch characters and play appropriate counters so the devs decided to remove the need for switching at all by making every character slow enough to catch every other character. To this day it remains the worse nerf/poorly thought out balancing I've ever seen in a game.

E92 M3

Could be worse, they could always go the Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2 route and nerf the movement speed of every single character in the game by 75% lol

They ruined the entire game with that one nerf after they spent years developing the moment to moment gameplay and maps around a high speed pace. They dropped movement speed across the board by a massive amount, 75%!!!, because people were complaining about balance issues that were not issues at all. People didn't want to switch characters and play appropriate counters so the devs decided to remove the need for switching at all by making every character slow enough to catch every other character. To this day it remains the worse nerf/poorly thought out balancing I've ever seen in a game.

Yep, so many people complain over their own mistakes. It's one of the worst things about modern day competitive gaming. Something is always "op" instead of the player just being bad. The Wraith nerfs were completely unneeded.

I'd love to be proven wrong.

So when is Assassin getting buffed to be not absolute garbage.

How the fuck is the tether this difficult to land on enemies and it's a one hit kill.

Edit: Nevermind I've worked out how to abuse morons.

Cmagus

How the fuck is the tether this difficult to land on enemies and it's a one hit kill.
I love watching people play assassin badly, running around swinging their blades hoping to kill someone. As battle medic I just fly up a little and blast them in the face, certainly a class that takes a good amount of time to get good at.

Yep, so many people complain over their own mistakes. It's one of the worst things about modern day competitive gaming. Something is always "op" instead of the player just being bad. The Wraith nerfs were completely unneeded.

I'd love to be proven wrong.

I agree 100%, I've seen it happen in every single competitive game I've ever played, people often consider well thought out mechanics to be OP just because they refuse to switch their play style in order to deal with the issue at hand.

This isn't a case of "git gud", it's a case of "the way to stop the thing you consider OP is to do X,Y,Z" and people are like "I don't want to do X,Y,Z, just make the thing weaker so I don't have to counter it at all"

dustyherb

Assassin is absolutely amazing if played right. Use the shotgun and charge your shots. Charged shots from the shotgun do ridiculous damage. The tether is definitely hard to land but I only use it when I need to get around the map quickly.

Bloy

Neo Member
I just today discovered that you can blind fire boost through zero g fields. Was this common knowledge? I feel like I don't see anyone doing it, on ps4 at least.

I just today discovered that you can blind fire boost through zero g fields. Was this common knowledge? I feel like I don't see anyone doing it, on ps4 at least.

they made a video about "tips" and mentioned you can do that to increase your speed through it.

after i saw that i mentioned it here lol.

I use it alot when playing Blitzball. Score reguarly as people seem to not realize they can do it. There's a trophy for using it to travel 2500m which is actually a rare trophy. Suprised me how few people have done it.

arimanius

I do it all the time but I learned it from watching streamers. I don't see to many people on the PS4 doing it either.

I do it all the time but I learned it from watching streamers. I don't see to many people on the PS4 doing it either.

It's because it's impossible.

Try holding down d-pad and using both analogs at the same time.

Whoever came up with that should be fired.

And also whoever came up with Harrier.

arimanius

I switched to alternative or tactical controller setup. Moves blindfire off the d-pad and makes it useable.

I left it on the d pad but I use it for quick darts through a zero gravity zone rather than moving around in it. Certainly makes sense for it to be mapped elsewhere though.

SublimeO12

Neo Member

You don't actually need to use left stick while blind firing, the game simulates as though you're pressing forward when you blindfire so that you can boost through zero g zones. This was a really tricky problem to solve because a lot of players hated blind fire on L3 due to accidental presses that would interrupt your shooting. Ultimately there's different config options so if you hate it on d pad you can just select another one. I'm also adding a couple more configs for a future patch.

You don't actually need to use left stick while blind firing, the game simulates as though you're pressing forward when you blindfire so that you can boost through zero g zones. This was a really tricky problem to solve because a lot of players hated blind fire on L3 due to accidental presses that would interrupt your shooting. Ultimately there's different config options so if you hate it on d pad you can just select another one. I'm also adding a couple more configs for a future patch.

Sounds good.

Does anyone know when this PS4 is going live. I don't really want to still be grappling a Wraith and having him out damage me. Kind of a load of shit.

Top Bottom