• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lawsuit alleges White House was involved in Seth Rich murder conspiracy theory

If anyone ever needs a great example of how conservatives accuse their opponents of what they themselves are guilty of, look no further. They are the ones who craft and distribute fake news.

Rod wheeler has been through this "confection as news" thing before, he was behind the "lesbian gangs with pink pistols" scare/story that ex fox oreilly pushed once.

TS-08

That's how it works. It's a good way to verify if your article gets its facts right.

When the White House is involved or someone at the WH is quoted in the story, sure. Don't think that was the case with this story and I don't see why it would have been.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This seems pretty self-serving on the part of the investigator, whose reputation is now ruined, but at the time who actually did push the narrative. Whether or not the question of WH involvement is true, I think we have little to gain from uncritically accepting Wheeler's side.

Wheeler doesn't have much credibility. That said, if they can prove that Fox News and Trump were coordinating, that would be great. It will probably take a million such stories to persuade the average Fox News viewer that they're just watching propaganda, but I guess you have to start somewhere.

TS-08

This seems pretty self-serving on the part of the investigator, whose reputation is now ruined, but at the time who actually did push the narrative. Whether or not the question of WH involvement is true, I think we have little to gain from uncritically accepting Wheeler's side.

You should never uncritically accept the allegations in a petition, but parts of his allegations have already been admitted to by other people, and if he actually has all of the texts and recordings he says he has, then you don't have to take his word for it.

chadskin

Wheeler doesn't have much credibility. That said, if they can prove that Fox News and Trump were coordinating, that would be great. It will probably take a million such stories to persuade the average Fox News viewer that they're just watching propaganda, but I guess you have to start somewhere.

Spicer confirmed the meeting with Butowsky and Wheeler in the White House and a number of Butowsky's text and voice messages suggest Trump was aware of the story as well. I'd say this is a pretty good start.

I don't really think I can believe that Trump had read the article beforehand. The article has no pictures and did not contain his name at all so it wouldn't have kept his interest.

#NPRFakeNews

JWiLL

Banned
You know, I always did find the circumstances around his death to be strange, just not in a "hurr durr hillary and podesta killed him" type of way.

It's sad that his family may never get justice and instead are constantly reminded about their son's death in this way. Everything I've seen on Seth Rich paints a picture of an intelligent guy with a bright future ahead of him.

Would be great if his murder was legitimately solved so this stuff could go away...but I feel like any conclusion wouldn't actually be believed by a good % of people out there.

shiba5

Sorry, I don't know how to embed Tweets:

Andrew Feinberg‏ Verified account
@agfhome
Andrew Feinberg Retweeted Lachlan Markay

It wasn't just Butowsky who wanted this false story pushed. Sputnik wanted me to ask the WH about it and fired me when I refused.

Wilsongt

I wonder if Sean Hannity still believe's Seth Rich's murder was a DNC conspiracy?

No.

Hannity's purpose is to make old, white people clutch their pearls in fear and to make as extreme of claims as possible.

Also, he's too busy sucking Trump's cock to care about this story.

You know, I always did find the circumstances around his death to be strange, just not in a "hurr durr hillary and podesta killed him" type of way.

It's sad that his family may never get justice and instead are constantly reminded about their son's death in this way. Everything I've seen on Seth Rich paints a picture of an intelligent guy with a bright future ahead of him.

Would be great if his murder was legitimately solved so this stuff could go away...but I feel like any conclusion wouldn't actually be believed by a good % of people out there.

Nothing about the circumstances of his death were strange, though. I live not far from where it happened. There were a bunch of other armed robberies in the neighborhood that summer. DC has a lot of bizarre street crimes that go unsolved, it's just that they usually don't make national news.

Tragic, absolutely. Strange? No way.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I know I've been saying this all along, but how on earth can Trump last 4 years with so much nonsense going on? Not only is he involved in so much dumb shit, but he involves himself with dumb people.

Because Congress is controlled by republicans and they don't care and won't do anything. Their "investigations" are little more than political theater.

shiba5

Fake news isn't a crime

They said they were looking into how Russian propaganda was spread using surrogates in the alt-right. FOX should be included. I didn't say it was a crime, but we need to combat it.

Because Congress is controlled by republicans and they don't care and won't do anything. Their "investigations" are little more than political theater.

The Bill Browder testimony actually gave me some hope that they are taking it seriously now.

He's providing corroborating evidence. Of course that could just be Fox blowing smoke and pretending to have more influence than they do, but you know. It's not a great look.

American Dreams Week is off to a running start.

FiggyCal

Banned
Wheeler alleges Fox News and the Trump supporter intended to deflect public attention from growing concern about the administration's ties to the Russian government. His suit charges that a Fox News reporter created quotations out of thin air and attributed them to him to propel her story.

It's not like Rod Wheler didn't play a part in willingly contributing to the conspiracy theory anyway.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
All you have to do to file a lawsuit is pay the filing fee?

Is there something that makes this claim credible?

Reporting the spin spinning from the White House: alright

Conspiring to share false information that you knew was false that came from the White House, WITH the White House: A harsh violation of journalistic ethics.

If Fox News was in fact journalists, heads would be rolling right now. This is the kind of thing that needs retractions, daily apologies for lying, and a LOT of fired people.

I don't quite think "state TV" is illegal, but it used to be that it was highly frowned upon.

gutshot

This actually makes sense. At the time the story broke, I could never quite square why this investigator would come out and immediately walk back his comments about Seth Rich being the leak source when there was no public pressure to do so.

Of course, tying this to the WH is going to be difficult. Butowsky clearly has an agenda to push here and lying about Trump being involved sounds like something he would do. It also is unclear why he is pressuring the investigator about publishing the story quickly and not the Fox News journalist?

In the end, I expect Fox News will settle this case and it will quietly go away.

Quite a bit of it was on my newsfeed on Facebook (same peeps pushed Pizzagate as well) and it was a popular topic on places like r/s4p and r/wayofthebern

Yep. Wayofthebern is the only Bernie subreddit that hasn't banned me for not being in lockstep with the hivemind, and I posted several articles pointing out the ridiculousness of the Seth Rich story there and received mostly a torrent of denial and abuse. A couple were reasonable, but they were drowned out.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The NPR reporter heard and verified recorded phonecalls/voicemails and has seen the text messages.

It's a guy who says he knows another guy who is largely unaffiliated with the White House who says he knows some crazy shit went down. There's nothing to verify and if there was, this would be in the Post and not some guy's lawsuit. The reason its not in the NYT or the Post is that the sources aren't good enough.

There were people on the left pushing this?

Bernie Bros. Their hate for Hillary is THAT strong.

But that has to be such a small group of people at this point right? I mean I heavily supported Bernie all the way to the end and really disliked Hilary but I really stopped caring much about them after the election and obviously this whole thing is BS.

I just hope there is some actual fallout for this. I feel like Tucker Carlson got no blowback for his Daily Caller trouble.

It's a guy who says he knows another guy who is largely unaffiliated with the White House who says he knows some crazy shit went down. There's nothing to verify and if there was, this would be in the Post and not some guy's lawsuit. The reason its not in the NYT or the Post is that the sources aren't good enough.

Here's the Post's story:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-seth-rich-conspiracy/?utm_term=.0d434b0a9cca

Sean Spicer admitted that he met with these characters, and the private detective even tweeted out a picture of himself in the White House Briefing Room in April.

Don't take every claim in the lawsuit as 100% truth based on the nature of the people involved, but this is not some bogus unverified story.

Top Bottom