• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

zkylon

zkylewd

65EqFiW.jpg

C4OyO9L.jpg

FZKL8Nr.jpg

Newt

k10lcGf.png

Player List:

Register on the LoLGAF player spreadsheet (created by boken) with your GAF name and Summoner name.

View the spreadsheet to find other players in your ranked tier and on your server to play some games!

Community Info:

Join the NeoGAF chat room in game! Click on the chat tab in the lower right corner of the client when you're logged in and then click on the create/join button:

y0R2Nq0eCmKbLaXA

Type NeoGAF in the entry box and join:

W6Dbsl6diX6EnWJA

You can hit the gear icon in the top right of the chat box and click "autojoin on startup" to join the room when you log in.

3KNmKJdjr7E4s9d6

We also have a Mumble server for talking to other GAF players in-game or just to hang out and chat with other LoLGAF players.

Server 1:

Label: NeoGAF
Address: 72.5.195.123
Port: 64738

Come join the channel "Lawlz".

eSports:

Check out the League of Legends Championship Series thread to discuss the weekly LCS action with other members of LoLGAF!

Just starting out? Need a bit of info?

Check out League's official guides: New Player Guide Level up Your League
Consult the Wiki for all the info
Find out the most popular builds for your champion at champion.gg
Track your progress and spy on the people you're matched with at op.gg
Record your replays with Baron Replays

Public Beta Environment game updates:
Surrender@20 website.

Previous OT Hall of Shame:

MwEhCSiiFEg44Pz6

Tizoc

Ugh a lux themed ot
And by zky-zky-chan

Glad we got the new thread at least looking forward to new shen

zkylon

zkylewd
took the opportunity to update the second post (not sure about the mumble stuff, you should probably verify that noot) and added a few useful links for newbies since we've been having a lot of new faces around here

also ♪ :> ♪

zkylon

zkylewd
some good interesting info in reddit about the crafting system:
Currently listed on PBE you can buy a Chest OR Key for 125 RP each, or a bundle of both for 195 RP. These may not be final prices as PBE prices are subject to change when heading to live.

Opening a chest normally yields a single shard, but VERY RARELY will ALSO contain either Essence or possibly a RARE GEM.

A Rare Gem simply forges into a Chest/Key bundle. I only got one of those and that's why I opened 51, not 50.

Anyways the breakdown is like this again the costs CAN VARY BY THE TIME IT COMES TO LIVE:
  • You gain shards by opening chests.
  • You may already own whatever the shard is for. If you own Braum, you might get a Braum shard. Same goes for skins and wards.
  • You gain Essence by disenchanting shards. champion shards yields Champion Essence, and disenchanting ward skins and regular skins yield Cosmetic Essence.
  • If you obtain a shard, you can permanently upgrade it using Essence, which is gained from opening chests (rarely) and disenchanting unwanted shards.
  • The amount of Essence gained is roughly 1/3rd the RP cost of the item. For instance, disenchanting Braum, who is 975 RP, will yield 322 Champion Essence.
  • The shards can be used to immediately unlock a 7-day rental of the content.
  • You can spend Essence to unlock the content permanently, at a cost equal to the RP Cost - 300. If you had Braum's shard and wanted to unlock him, it would cost you 675 Essence (975 RP - 300 =675).
  • Summoner Icons, if opened in a chest, are automatically permanently unlocked. No redo's on them but they come with 150 Cosmetic Essence in the chest as well. I only had one instance of opening an Icon so that could vary.
  • There is a very small chance to also get a Rare Gem + a shard with the opening of a Chest, it's basically a free Chest + Key bundle.
  • Legacy content is available in the chests.
  • Re-rolling requires 3 of the same type of shard- 3 Champion shards, or 3 Skin shards, or 3 Ward shards.
  • Re-rolling will yield a random Permanent shard of the re-rolled type.
  • Permanent shards can be used to obtain the content and pay no Essence to do so.
  • You may also disenchant the Permanent shard for HALF of its RP worth. Disenchanting a Lionheart Braum Permanent shard would give you 375 Cosmetic Essence, since he is 750 RP in the store.
  • Edit: You cannot get a Permanent shard for content you own.

i got distracted making the thread so forgot to reply to these comments in the previous ot
At least you won't have to wait an entire fucking season
Pre-rework support items and pre rework ADCs/items weren't great either let me tell ya. I think a lot of ppl here felt the same. I also heard there might have been some pre-post jngler complaining but I stay out of there. Realistically mage items aren't in a great spot but compare it to that stuff and I have to agree with Riot that it isn't as big a deal.

I think their mindset is probably why do anything comprehensive now and take time/resources away from other stuff when it is going to be irrelevant in a few months with the new items/kits from the rework and balancing will have to be reviewed again then anyway. Outside of literal bugs and abuse type stuff we probably won't see much before then, notice how few mages have been targeted for major buffs/nerfs lately outside of that?
the thing about mage itemization is that it was fine and then they broke it. adc/old support itemization sucked and it was a time/money effort that riot had to dedicate in order to fix it

mage itemization was perfectly fine, like always some issues here and there, but for the most part it worked as intended. now everything feels wonky, with really expensive combine costs leading to some items like zhonyas feeling straight up terrible to build due to how bad their buildpaths have turned.

i just feel like the balance pass they did just didn't work without making these items have smoother build paths through new and/or reworked advanced items the same way they did for ad items.

i can understand that being a more difficult issue but then tweak all the build numbers so at least you don't have to save up 1k+ gold three times for zhonyas

Guess I will try the Jungle seeing how so many champs I find interesting are apparently really good there. I don't get the appeal buuuut I'm guessing it could fun if so many people want to do it.

Regardless I'm gonna take Vi mid when ever I get her. She seems like she would own mid lane.

sorry but mage itemization was not fine last season considering every meta champ rushed the super cheap and efficient morellos into deathcap. not only that but mages also had considerably better defensive options (zhonyas abyssal) which also cost less than any ad based equivalent.

zkylon

zkylewd
sorry but mage itemization was not fine last season considering every meta champ rushed the super cheap and efficient morellos into deathcap. not only that but mages also had considerably better defensive options (zhonyas abyssal) which also cost less than any ad based equivalent.
athenes was just as common on champions that needed it and you didn't feel punished for being an athenes champion over a morellos champion like you do now if you don't build roa (let's pretend for a second fqc doesn't exist to make everything right for mages)

morellos and athenes were functionally exactly the same; a cdr mana regen item that supplements an ap casters mana sustain and dps. the itemization of that plus deathcap was so strong that even assassins like leblanc and fizz were building it simply because there was no reason not to; it was only around 6k gold for a huge 2 item spike and there were only a few components that cost a large amount. this existed for almost 2 years. the ziggs meta. the preseason 5 meta. the azir viktor meta. it took riot completely changing how azir worked for morellos deathcap to finally change...to frostqueen deathcap.

zkylon

zkylewd
morellos and athenes were functionally exactly the same; a cdr mana regen item that supplements an ap casters mana sustain and dps. the itemization of that plus deathcap was so strong that even assassins like leblanc and fizz were building it simply because there was no reason not to; it was only around 6k gold for a huge 2 item spike and there were only a few components that cost a large amount. this existed for almost 2 years. the ziggs meta. the preseason 5 meta. the azir viktor meta. it took riot completely changing how azir worked for morellos deathcap to finally change...to frostqueen deathcap.
i'm not sure what your point is tho, two item power spikes is the standard in the game

what's wrong about leblanc building morellos+deathcap?

zkylon

zkylewd
you can say it was too efficient relative to other classes but that's not really a big issue, specially compared to now

now the items just feel bad to build, if you're gonna make every item more expensive then you should revise the build paths as well so at least they're smooth to build

there's also really big outliers like roa and abyssal, not to mention fqc

nbraun80

yeah the crafting sounded difficult and hard to understand, but after opening a bunch it's pretty simple:
- Got a skin card you want to unlock permanently? break down skin cards you don't want to make enough essence to do so.
- Don't like any of the skin cards you got? Pick any 3 to reroll and basically mystery gift yourself a random permanent skin.
- same theory applys to champions.

and that's it really.

the reason it feels worse building larger ap items was because riot nerfed the cost efficiency of everything except support items hence fqc mid.

zkylon

zkylewd
the reason it feels worse building larger ap items was because riot nerfed the cost efficiency of everything except support items hence fqc mid.
that's not really the issue, other champions build similarly priced items no problem

the issue is that the build paths are really bad in that a lot of items have 1k+ gold combine costs. some of those you can make a bit less like 765g on morellos but now you're stuck with an useless amp tome that just takes space in your inventory

the issue is that we're like 4 patches in season 6 and there's been zero follow-up on making every most ap items less of a bitch to build

Kenai

I don't disagree that it's annoying, but I am just saying (based somewhat loosely obv) that the balance team is probably thinking:

-Mage itemization isn't in an ideal place, but isn't outright broken, cause mages are still used quite often in-game

-If they do stuff now, they'll have to do it again later anyway. They'll have to test new item stuff vs current in-game stuff and do balancing, which may or may not fix problems/add to them whatever.

-They're going to have to test all the new items, new kits, and old kits together anyway, so they'd be doing work now for stuff that is gonna be totally outdated/a non-issue in half a year, Moreover, it's probably some overlap of the same team here, so that would likely push the mage update back even farther.

Now, I'm not 100% sure why they raised the item price in the first place since mages didn't feel out of control before, but I do agree with ghost in that I remember most mage builds being VERY samey in that there were like 1-2 build paths with no devation (almost everyone rushed Moro/Deathcap, unless you were one of the ones who really needed Zhongas, then that instead of Deathcap, Athenes was pretty garbo compared to Moro)

Seems very, very similar to the pre-ADC item problem and they waitied for the rework on that too. So at this point I am just guessing obviously but I think they are good guesses that the are ignoring anything but bandaid fixes for really buggy/unintended stuff til then in favor of pushing the big update out quicker. Summer is still a long time away for Live launch of that especially with Ranked launching real soon but whatcha gonna do.

Jungling will build up your mental strength because you'll be receiving most of the blame when ish hits the fan. Like, you could be helping bot lane take a tower and then dragon, but your top laner will lose a 1v1 and still call you out.

I tank in MMOs so I'm use to people trying to toss their shit my way. (Shit is the most stressful role in a MMO ... but I love it.)

And about this chest thing ... does the pool scale with the amount of characters you have?

Like, would they give you a skin shard for a character you don't own or a perma-skin (as the result of re-rolling 3 skins you don't care for) for a character you don't have?

Because they aren't even willing to let you buy skins for champs unless you own them so I find the idea that the game would GIVE you skin shards for these un-owned champs to be a bit out there.

If it does scale then I'd love to try this as I only have a hand full of champs. Would greatly heighten my chances of getting a skin I like if it only gives you skin shards for champs you OWN.

The opposite seems to be true for the champs though, they will only give you champ shards for champs you DON'T own, right? So to me it seems logical that they would only give you skins for champs you DO own ...

Mage itemization got more expensive because Riot increased global gold gain and mid laners are power farmers so they can't just keep the same costs otherwise their power spikes would go out of control. Problem is while doing that Riot also made the items worse for some reason and went overboard on some prices.

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't disagree that it's annoying, but I am just saying (based somewhat loosely obv) that the balance team is probably thinking:

-Mage itemization isn't in an ideal place, but isn't outright broken, cause mages are still used quite often in-game
it's not so much of a power thing but of a balance and satisfaction thing. mids aren't gonna go away cos their items are 300g-500g more expensive, tho they're gonna be weaker for sure

-If they do stuff now, they'll have to do it again later anyway. They'll have to test new item stuff vs current in-game stuff and do balancing, which may or may not fix problems/add to them whatever.

-They're going to have to test all the new items, new kits, and old kits together anyway, so they'd be doing work now for stuff that is gonna be totally outdated/a non-issue in half a year, Moreover, it's probably some overlap of the same team here, so that would likely push the mage update back even farther.
well that's the issue with how they did things

normally if you make class-wide changes you do a follow-up to guarantee that things are in a good state for everyone involved

and the follow-up could be something not very complicated

say make deathcap build out of a nlr and two blasting wands and reduce the combine cost.

make morellos be fiendish codex+forbidden idol+blasting wand and reduce the combine cost

you can do chalice+fiendish codex+blasting wand for athenes and both reduce the combine cost with the extra component and raise it a bit to compensate for the extra 5 ap

or make fiendish codex give an even 30 ap and raise its cost to 850 like aether wisp

there might be similar things to be done for ludens echo and zhonyas, tho those two are a bit more complicated

none of this changes much about the power of the items, just makes building them not annoying

imo these things should've been done for the efficiency pass and that was 4 patches ago? dang

Now, I'm not 100% sure why they raised the item price in the first place since mages didn't feel out of control before, but I do agree with ghost in that I remember most mage builds being VERY samey in that there were like 1-2 build paths with no devation (almost everyone rushed Moro/Deathcap, unless you were one of the ones who really needed Zhongas, then that instead of Deathcap, Athenes was pretty garbo compared to Moro)
the efficiency nerfs didn't change that, now everyone builds fqc+abyssal or roa+abyssal

and i duno why ppl say athenes was uncommon before, it was very much a core item on mana hungry champions like ori, lux, xerath, etc.

Seems very, very similar to the pre-ADC item problem and they waitied for the rework on that too. So at this point I am just guessing obviously but I think they are good guesses that the are ignoring anything but bandaid fixes for really buggy/unintended stuff til then in favor of pushing the big update out quicker. Summer is still a long time away for Live launch of that especially with Ranked launching real soon but whatcha gonna do.
the big difference with the adc itemization issues is that this is a problem they suddenly created rather than a problem that existed for a long time

wouldn't you think that if the idea was to leave things as they were until the mage reworks then maybe it was a better idea leave things in the older, happier-for-everyone state than in this shitty build-abyssal-on-everyone and having to look for cost efficient, easy to build items in other classes

I want to kill that youtube video.

how do you feel about this one

Mage itemization got more expensive because Riot increased global gold gain and mid laners are power farmers so they can't just keep the same costs otherwise their power spikes would go out of control. Problem is while doing that Riot also made the items worse for some reason and went overboard on some prices.
yeah, this too

MaxiLive

That OT is perfect great job Zkylon.

The crafting system sounds interesting but not all that beneficial for myself I don't play with pre-mades all that much or many games so the drop rate is going to be awful :(

I can't wait to read the salty posts in here though of people getting crappy loot!

Godan

So just getting back into this after not playing for the past 2 months. Is there anywhere i can find a good up to date rune and mastery guide?

zkylon

zkylewd
So just getting back into this after not playing for the past 2 months. Is there anywhere i can find a good up to date rune and mastery guide?

your best bet is to check the champion you want to play on champion.gg and see what people are building on them

a pretty big patch for masteries got released today tho, so those pages might be outdated already

zkylon

zkylewd
also sorry for the lazy ot title but i spent almost as much time making the thread as i did trying to come up with a good name and i got absolutely nothing lol

this is why dobs always makes these things...

Top Bottom