• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked Tom Clancy's The Division Closed Alpha Gameplay (Xbox One)

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
If memory serves, Ubisoft isn't exactly the poster child for PC gaming either...

...remember Watch_Dogs? What an unmitigated clusterf*ck that turned out to be....

This is not a Montreal studio game. This game is made by Massive, who were a PC exclusive developer before Ubisoft bought them a fe w years ago. The game they released in 2007 was absolutely the only game released that year that looked anywhere near as good as Crysis.

kpaadet

Lets just forget games like Valiant Hearts, Child of Light, Rayman, Trials.
Most publishers have smaller experimental "indie" games, but I think it's absolutely true that most of Ubisoft AAA games feel very similar design wise. And this looks no different.

Theorry

Most publishers have smaller experiment "indie" games, but I think it's absolutely true that most of Ubisoft AAA games feel very similar design wise. And this looks no different.

If i am honest. This is for me felt the first Ubi game in many years wich didnt feel like a Ubi game really.
I for sure didnt needed to climb a tower. ;)

So the potentiality of a broken game means we judge it before it's out?

I'm sorry but we tear apart a game when it releases and it's broken, not before. People who complain about things being broken maybe shouldn't buy it before they know what state it's in when it gets released. Instant gratification is the fault of consumers.

And if the gameplay doesn't look compelling that's fine. But if you're going to make that statement then please state why you even think so. If this place is meant for discussion then add something to it. Other for example think it's compelling. And then they can reply with why they think so.

Don't release footage if you don't want people analysing what you have, if the gameplay looks fucking meh then it looks fucking meh, is it going to suck? We don't know, but unless they fundamentally change the gameplay, it doesn't look to be anything more than pedestrian.

jesu

the downgrade is REAL.

It's like asking for a Steph Curry jersey and getting Seth's.

There was always going to be a downgrade from the PC version they showed to the Xbox version you are looking at there.
It looks good for an Xbox game, should look great on PC.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Obviously, it's hard to see the actual visual quality of the game in youtube videos but at the same time, it still looks pretty good.

My main complaints from watching the video are -

1) Appears to be no crouching at all which I hate. Really hoping there's a crouching option in-game.

2) The HUD is bad in so many ways. I hate the map being in the top left corner. Would prefer it on the bottom left corner. Also wish the health and ammo info wasn't next to the character. Wish it was in the bottom right corner like most games. Overall, there's just too much stuff on the screen.

3) Melee. Others here have said there is melee so im happy about that because seeing enemies come at the character with a bat and the guy playing wasn't using melee was a disappointment. Since your character is an agent, im hoping that he has some decent moves.

4) The cover to cover and roll seem to be weird from what I saw in those videos. It appears that you have to double tap A to roll and have to hold down the A button to go from cover to cover. If true, this seems like making it more difficult as opposed to simple.

With all of that said, im waiting for info on the Beta as I may try to get in on that for PS4. Definitely want to give it a shot before the finished game comes out. Overall, im interested but wish they would change/alter a few things before the finished version is released.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Don't release footage if you don't want people analysing what you have, if the gameplay looks fucking meh then it looks fucking meh, is it going to suck? We don't know, but unless they fundamentally change the gameplay, it doesn't look to be anything more than pedestrian.
Unless you subscribe to the theory that this is a fake leak, this isn't them releasing gameplay.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
If i am honest. This is for me felt the first Ubi game in many years wich didnt feel like a Ubi game really.
I for sure didnt needed to climb a tower. ;)

Like I said, the usual "ubi game" is made by Ubisoft Montreal. They make AC, Far Cry, Watch Dogs etc. The last game made by Massive was World in Conflict.

Yeah. No single player, no dice from my side. I just cant get interested in such games and as I said in another thread, hate this trend of multiplayer only games (Star wars battlefront, Destiny to an extent and more).

Whats worse, this could've been an amazing setting for a story, it looks like.

It has a SP campaign.

mcz117chief

This is not a Montreal studio game. This game is made by Massive, who were a PC exclusive developer before Ubisoft bought them a fe w years ago. The game they released in 2007 was absolutely the only game released that year that looked anywhere near as good as Crysis.

World in Conflict is still one of the prettiest RTS games around. That game is just magical. I have high hopes for Massive, those guys can get stuff done. I will probably get the PS4 version though, unless it is A LOT worse than the PC version.

RexNovis

Banned
What?

The HUD is gorgeous, best part about how this game looks.

I wholeheartedly disagree. Adding effects to the hud doesnt make the excess of elements any more appealing to me. There is shit all over the screen. Some might like that but I sure as hell don't.

I think it looks pretty good for an Xbone game. I look forward to seeing PC footage. I'm hopeful that some of my buddies will pick this up and the Best Friends Club will continue on.

Crackbone

World in Conflict is still one of the prettiest RTS games around. That game is just magical. I have high hopes for Massive, those guys can get stuff done. I will probably get the PS4 version though, unless it is A LOT worse than the PC version.

This.

Massive has a great track record. I'm hopeful due to the release pushback that they've had the time to get this game in order.

Based on my time in the alpha they've nailed the world. My only concern is end game. I really enjoyed the unique take on pvp in the dark zone. Quite frankly it's been a really long time since I've had to look over my shoulder in a game and it definitely keeps you engaged.

Zukkoyaki

I'm optimistic about this game and was even before the positive alpha impressions in this thread.

Everyone seems far too eager to hate on it just because it's Ubisoft. Dat gaf groupthink at work.

Most publishers have smaller experimental "indie" games, but I think it's absolutely true that most of Ubisoft AAA games feel very similar design wise. And this looks no different.

Ubisoft is the one making most smaller scale games, most of the other big publishers started to do that after Ubisoft. And that's without taking into account their PC exclusives games.

And I would also like to ear how For Honor, Siege, ZombiU, Rayman, Splinter Cell, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, The Division, The Crew and Rocksmith "feel very similar design wise"

One3OneKing

Neo Member
Before I start a counter to this very negative thread, I will say this. This type of thread is the reason why we can't have nice things. The game clearly has an NDA because the developers are not done with the game and people know how gamers react when they see gameplay regardless of whether it is done or not. The fact that we can't respect that and give the individuals who are working tirelessly on this game a chance to finish it before judging, is why gamers are seen as such a toxic group. So I will break NDA in defense of the game. As someone who has played it versus watching a video and mindlessly coming to a conclusion. It's very funny to read the difference in opinions form those on the alpha forums form NEOgaffers who watched a video. What's the difference, one group played the game and the other did not. Funny how that works, huh?

On the topic of graphical downgrade
Of course, the game has been downgraded. Listen, I don't agree with how Ubi shows their games and then never meet their target. But again, the game is not finished and no poorly compressed YouTube video is going to help . The character models are a bit uneven in their quality but there are several places in this game where I was floored. This is the most detailed recreation of NYC that there has ever been. As a former resident the amount of detail in this game is astonishing! At night time the game is astonishing. The Christmas lights and their reflections at night are a sight to be seen. The snow covered streets feel like they were lived in and the citizens were ripped from their lives. This is no generic city that they call NYC, everything screams legitimacy. The feeling of loneliness and despair is palpable and it is played up via the awesome environment. The game looks overall better in certain areas than others but I was very impressed graphically. You just need to play it for yourself to appreciate the details.

On the topic of the game is boring
This is going to be super subjective. The first time I played the game it was by myself. I will admit it was not very fun.I felt that bored feeling. This will no doubt be something that should be addressed for the final game. Playing the game with a good set of friends is night/day different. Unlike other open world games there are no cars to get in to get to your objective. You walk together and that plays into the level of discovery that is awesome. You discover echoes (stories that allow you to listen in on what happened in that spot before everything went to shit) You discover abandoned apartments in buildings that you allow you to take a peek into how real people lived. And this is what the game is all about. Sure there are missions that are very shooter and game-y but the moments that were most awesome were those in which you just explored. The moments that were grounded in realism. The videos do a very poor job in capturing those moments.

So ya know, maybe the non-Xbox owners should wait until the beta to create an opinion because as someone who was not hyped for this game before playing it has shot to the top of my most wanted list. I don't post often but it sucks to see some leaked ALPHA footage be ripped apart and judged before most people have played in the game. For heaven sakes people give it time.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It looks alright, but I feel like I've played this game before. In the 8 minutes I watched he went from a laptop, to a vendor, to another vendor, and so forth.

You travel with your backpack, the Ubisoft backpack (looks very trendy), nothing really happens, it's the same marked up price for weapons it always is, and people are straight out of an RPG.

It's open world and the environments look great and all, but I could have sworn this was another take on the same genre. I felt GTAV was off in the distance somewhere.

Their 3D artist spent more work making tupperware than anything else. They have simple AI and people just stand around the room.

Zombi tried to be impressive with it's audio over the gameplay, but I still wasn't feeling it. I hope they can do more besides narrate everything.

I know that, but I don't think that the game won't improve at all. To say that the game's graphics are finalized when this is just an alpha,is disingenuous.
The game is 3 months from release. There won't be any drastic improvements of the visuals from what we see in the leaked videos.

jesu

It looks alright, but I feel like I've played this game before. In the 8 minutes I watched he went from a laptop, to a vendor, to another vendor, and so forth.

You travel with your backpack, the Ubisoft backpack (looks very trendy), nothing really happens, it's the same marked up price for weapons it always is, and people are straight out of an RPG.

It's open world and the environments look great and all, but I could have sworn this was another take on the same genre. I felt GTAV was off in the distance somewhere.

Their 3D artist spent more work making tupperware than anything else. They have simple AI and people just stand around the room.

Zombi tried to be impressive with it's audio over the gameplay, but I still wasn't feeling it. I hope they can do more besides narrate everything.

wtf is an ubisoft backpack?
The towers I get, but a backpack...

DrBo42

I'm really not all that bothered by the graphics considering it's XB1 and youtube quality. The gameplay is what alarms me. Not looking great at first glance but due to the MMO nature of bullet sponge going on it could change with some upgrades and team play etc. Will wait for some proper videos closer to launch unless there's some group play with abilities I haven't seen in the leaks.

UnrealEck

Has this game been shown on Xbox One before? I don't think it has, which is why I'm wondering why people are saying it's a visual downgrade.

Another thing confusing me are the people posting 700x400 .gif animations and saying 'this is what it actually looks like on XB1'...yeah, on a 6 inch screen.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
wtf is an ubisoft backpack?
The towers I get, but a backpack...

It was from Mike Fahey's stream on Kotaku.

Not the one from the stream, but:
3150597-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

I've never seen a single person wear a backpack like this, but doesn't it show up a lot more often in Ubisoft games? All the 40+ year olds wear beanies and backpacks like these. Ubisoft has their own fashion trend.

They also wear hoodies too. I didn't see a hoodie in there, but who knows.

jesu

I'm really not all that bothered by the graphics considering it's XB1 and youtube quality. The gameplay is what alarms me. Not looking great at first glance but due to the MMO nature of bullet sponge going on it could change with some upgrades and team play etc. Will wait for some proper videos closer to launch unless there's some group play with abilities I haven't seen in the leaks.

There is bullet sponge enemies if you fight guys above your level.
The gameplay is typical 3rd person shooter, with RPG elements.
Take from that what you will.

DrBo42

There is bullet sponge enemies if you fight guys above your level.
The gameplay is typical 3rd person shooter, with RPG elements.
Take from that what you will.

Yeah I finally got to video 3 showing a little more appropriate fighting with abilities. Doesn't look terrible, about what I'd expect from your few lines there. I dunno, I'm kinda interested. Seems like fun with friends that actually talk. Are there any dungeon or raid equivalent type activities?

jesu

It was from Mike Fahey's stream on Kotaku.

Not the one from the stream, but:
3150597-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

I've never seen a single person wear a backpack like this, but doesn't it show up a lot more often in Ubisoft games? All the 40+ year olds wear beanies and backpacks like these. Ubisoft has their own fashion trend.

They also wear hoodies too. I didn't see a hoodie in there, but who knows.

Which Ubi games have those backpacks then?

I have one like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00G6FKIJQ/

Is that the one?

jesu

Yeah I finally got to video 3 showing a little more appropriate fighting with abilities. Doesn't look terrible, about what I'd expect from your few lines there. I dunno, I'm kinda interested. Seems like fun with friends that actually talk. Are there any dungeon or raid equivalent type activities?

We don't know about raids yet.
The single player missions can be played with friends, that's about it.
The story missions could be construed as dungeons I suppose.
It's not a proper MMO.
I'm getting it for single player mainly.

modalife

Banned
Checked out the gameplay, and frankly, it looks boring and uninspiring. Visually it looks average as well. Too bad, I was sort of looking forward to it.

Alias03

The game is 3 months from release. There won't be any drastic improvements of the visuals from what we see in the leaked videos.

You're right, BUT how old is this build of the game? DID they send all assets or try to make the download for the alpha smaller? You have to take into account these questions, Maybe the build is 8 months old, but was the most stable they had? This wasn't a test of the graphics, it was to test servers. Plus going off of badly compressed YouTube videos is never a great recommendation.

Looks like another third person shooter with puddle deep stealth and RPG elements, IE: Like 99% of AAA 3rd person games that come out these days. I miss the days when Tom Clancys name meant a quality game made for people with attention spans longer than a squirrels.

Dreez

Can't help thinking I would love a Last of Us game in this environment. I'm still interested in seeing more though!

Many posts here, and all over the site, are all about towing the line, picking the latest negative narrative to create, and harp on something as much as possible, just cause it's fun to be a jackass, perhaps. That's my theory anyhow.

It really doesn't take much for a gamer to become a seasoned gamer, that can recognize good control, non repetitive missions, and fun worlds with deep mechanics. Yet you guys need hundreds of opinions stating the same bullshit, because you all have hard ons for piling on your favorite targets.

The alpha thread is LITERALLY littered with very positive impressions, FROM PEOPLE WHO PLAYED THE GAME. But, oh, hurry up push me aside, Emo Joe Skateboard needs to give his opinions, because he doesn't get to compulsively state his opinions enough.

This game will impress the naysayers. They will have to suck it up and buy the game, and then they'll pretend like they never did it.

I'm not gonna look at this. I will wait for a proper reveal. That said, plenty of people in the alpha thread called this one of the best looking xb1 games, and that's good for me cause I've seen very good looking games.

Okay, you can resume complaining about petty shit now.

Archpath1

Many posts here, and all over the site, are all about towing the line, picking the latest negative narrative to create, and harp on something as much as possible, just cause it's fun to be a jackass, perhaps. That's my theory anyhow.

It really doesn't take much for a gamer to become a seasoned gamer, that can recognize good control, non repetitive missions, and fun worlds with deep mechanics. Yet you guys need hundreds of opinions stating the same bullshit, because you all have hard ons for piling on your favorite targets.

The alpha thread is LITERALLY littered with very positive impressions, FROM PEOPLE WHO PLAYED THE GAME. But, oh, hurry up push me aside, Emo Joe Skateboard needs to give his opinions, because he doesn't get to compulsively state his opinions enough.

This game will impress the naysayers. They will have to suck it up and buy the game, and then they'll pretend like they never did it.

I'm not gonna look at this. I will wait for a proper reveal. That said, plenty of people in the alpha thread called this one of the best looking xb1 games, and that's good for me cause I've seen very good looking games.

I played, I can vouch, it looks better in person, fun when played
Definitely a great experience

I played, I can vouch, it looks better in person, fun when played
Definitely a great experience

+1

I will vouch as well. I played the Alpha and it definitely looks better in person...the leaked videos do it no justice. I thoroughly enjoyed playing it. The end of the Alpha just made me sad and longing for more. Playing with a squad is excellent, especially in the DZ.

Has this game been shown on Xbox One before? I don't think it has, which is why I'm wondering why people are saying it's a visual downgrade.

Another thing confusing me are the people posting 700x400 .gif animations and saying 'this is what it actually looks like on XB1'...yeah, on a 6 inch screen.

It's been shown on XB1 many times. There's plenty of "Official" Ubi videos that clearly say "Footage recorded on XB1".

Sure...anything looks good on a 6" screen, but I played the Alpha, and it looks pretty damn good on my 46" screen.

etta

my hard graphic balls

Some speak because they have something to say, others because they have to say something.

slapnuts

Let me guess you are comparing just basic looks instead of actual Geometry and effects of each image

Thats like comparing Watch dogs at night while its raining vs Watch dogs during the day and saying there was a downgrade because the time of day changed

I know man...I never get the odd eagerness to do what ever possible to make a game look bad or the simplistic ignorance of not factoring in that it's a different area of the game with different weather effects, let alone time of day.

The uncompressed video looks way better than the janky youtube crap

Top Bottom