• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LeBron James pressured Adam Silver to punish Rockets GM Daryl Morey for controversial tweet

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...on-james-adam-silver-make-break-moments-china
One of the league's core values is freedom of expression, Silver said. "It's what you guys stand for." And to not speak, he said, could lead to criticism for staying silent.

Silver opened the floor. James raised his hand.

His question was related to Morey -- and the commissioner's handling of the Rockets' GM. James, to paraphrase, told Silver that he knew that if a player caused the same type of uproar with something he said or tweeted, the player wouldn't be able to skate on it. There would be some type of repercussion. So, James wanted to know, what was Silver going to do about it in Morey's case?

Silver pushed back, reminding the players that the league never doled out discipline when they publicly criticized President Donald Trump. Morey was exercising the same liberty when he challenged China. Regardless of the financial fallout of one versus the other, that's not what should matter. Silver might have disliked the ramifications of Morey's tweet, but he would defend the right to say it.

The article also goes into detail about how Jame's shitty response was purely because money

James, Anthony Davis, Kyle Kuzma and Rajon Rondo -- to name a few -- had appearances canceled. One Lakers player, sources told ESPN, had agreed to a $1 million endorsement deal with a Chinese company prior to the trip. When he arrived -- poof -- it was gone. A seven-figure payday went out the window.

James, after taking 15 consecutive summer trips to China, skipped it this year to complete the filming of "Space Jam 2," anticipating that the China Games would serve as a substitute. Some of his most important appearances of the year -- including two with Nike and one with Beats by Dre -- were canceled during this trip.

GO FUCK YOURSELF BITCH JAMES

lakers-hong-kong-lebron-james-lampson-yip-1068x712.jpg

Last edited:

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This also goes along with what I had been hearing and posted about in another thread.

Na fuck that. That doesn't square at all with how he called him not educated on the situation at hand. You are getting played. He said your comments LATER after he got flamed for his bullshit. I've also heard that players have allegedly complained that "had we done what the GM did we would have been severely punished", which is less about their safety and moreso bitching collectively that they don't have a freedom from direct punishments that could affect their playtime.

It's Jeff

Banned
Lebron's motives are embarrassingly transparent here. I've got no use for that guy.

Adam Silver, though? My respect for him is through the roof right now.

The internet won't forget this. It's an interesting line in the sand this issue is drawing. The NBA wokeness era will either be full of hypocritical cowards (obvi the case) or it will force the moderates to take democracy and actual real human rights issues seriously.

RAÏSanÏa

Gotta give CCP credit for turning it around on the NBA saying the pressure didn't happen from the government.

Now the situation is either stalemate, a walkback or they have to show evidence and worsen the situation.

edit:
oops was reading a different article about a similar subject in a different window and commented on that.

Last edited:
I actually side with LeBron on this one. Those are some big consequences for one tweet. No one likes seeing business deals going out the window. But I bet they'll get those deals back though.

Money uberalles, capitalism above all. Plus I don't think that what goes on in China crosses paths with his lived experiences domestically. China is for $$$, it's not his home.

Now about snowflake China being able to control US companies speech, we'll just have to monitor that.

Got to be honest. I think most of the political speak from Athletes (and celebrities in general) aren't things they are passionate about, or even a matter of whats right and wrong. It's about money and exposure.

Their is financial benefit to be Anti Trump right now. But absolutely no financial benefit being Anti China.

However if you are Anti Trump, it probably means you are absolutely Anti CPC... You'd think lol. You can't be Anti Pork with a mouthful of Pig Bacon.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
James, Anthony Davis, Kyle Kuzma and Rajon Rondo -- to name a few -- had appearances canceled. One Lakers player, sources told ESPN, had agreed to a $1 million endorsement deal with a Chinese company prior to the trip. When he arrived -- poof -- it was gone. A seven-figure payday went out the window.
Oh my goodness what a surprise! Money was on the line. No wonder NBA players zipped it. lol. /S

NBA player in confidential phone call: Hey Silver, WTF? Emperor Wing Wong from a noodle making company called Ji Xi Chi Mao Nao Noodles was going to pay me money for every pack of noodles created if I put my mugshot on the packaging and dunk a ball on TV.

Now it's gone.

Silver: But what's wrong with fighting the good fight for freedom? You guys do it all the time is the US even going against Trump. Why not support battling oppressive behaviour in China and Hong Kong?

NBA player: Are those rice eaters protesting going to be paying me royalties per pound of noodles? Nope. That company with slave labour is. The $30 million/yr contracts here aren't enough.

You know as well as me, we might claim liberal freedom, but you and I are alike. Two people wanting to rake in the cash, live in a mansion with 6 sports cars and be as far away as possible from all the poor local assholes who think shooting 3 pointers are a ticket to a career. Just make sure you and I don't tell them that making it as an NBA pro is like 1 in 10,000 basketball students.

Silver: Ok, I fucked up. But can you at least do some of those canned charity after school programs the league sets up, but we put your name on it to make you look good?

NBA player: Well, ok. But next time make sure to make my name bigger on the charity posters.

Last edited:

Texas Pride

Banned
Got to be honest. I think most of the political speak from Athletes (and celebrities in general) aren't things they are passionate about, or even a matter of whats right and wrong. It's about money and exposure.

Their is financial benefit to be Anti Trump right now. But absolutely no financial benefit being Anti China.

However if you are Anti Trump, it probably means you are absolutely Anti CPC... You'd think lol. You can't be Anti Pork with a mouthful of Pig Bacon.

Whores do and say what they must for the almighty dollar. Celebrities in America aren't any different. They can be bought and because people see them on TV they listen to their messages.

Top Bottom