• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

duckroll said:
Holy fuck. Valve. I thought you tested Dead Air! Why is the finale BUSTED in Versus?! The points calculation is just from the saferoom to the finale switch! Wtf!!! LOL. :(

Disappointing. Played through a close match today to run into that bullshit at the end.

jambo

duckroll said:
Holy fuck. Valve. I thought you tested Dead Air! Why is the finale BUSTED in Versus?! The points calculation is just from the saferoom to the finale switch! Wtf!!! LOL. :(

It's still being beta tested, just by the public now =P

duckroll said:
Yeah its weird. It sucks cause a lot of people quit before the finale as everyone knows that it doesn't count for shit.

Botolf said:
Dead Air 4 is marvelously brutal now, 2 events you can't skip :]

If you haul ass fast enough after the van event, the metal detector doesn't really do much of anything because the last event still hasn't "ended".

Sibylus

Banned
Sega1991 said:
If you haul ass fast enough after the van event, the metal detector doesn't really do much of anything because the last event still hasn't "ended".
Yeah, the people I played with want to try that next time. Probably introduces its own hazards, especially if one runs into a tank, witch, or ambient horde.

Dacon

Banned
vazel said:
I've gotten weak hordes in all the events in Dead Air. I thought it was a bug.

Really? They fucking assraped me in act 4.

They didn't stop coming until we got into the saferoom and used up all our health packs.

Played on advance with just one of my friends btw.

dark_inferno said:
DLC for L4D1? No... its over.
1. L4D1 is dead because they gonna port all the L4D1 Maps for L4D2.
2. Francis, Louis and Zoey are safe now.

This is confirmed? 360 here, btw.
I know, pc master race.

Church RvB said:
I know, pc master race.
Well, it kind of makes sense. I think most people who have played both will agree L4D2 improves upon L4D in ever way. Of course, there are always some purists who prefer the original. For PC users the system requirements are basically the same, and you get to play with the balance changes and additions (melee weapons, new infected, weapons etc.) There's a reason why Valve followed up with a sequel only a later.

duckroll

Church RvB said:
I know, pc master race.

Yes it's confirmed. The only difference is that the PC gets updates regularly whenever they are kinda ready, but MS requires it to be packaged and bundled as pay DLC. So later on this Summer, Valve is going to put out a new DLC pack for L4D2 which contains the new campaign Cold Stream, all the remaining L4D1 campaigns, and some significant (?) changes to the Dead Carnival campaign. No word on pricing yet, but 360 players are definitely getting it.

Metal-Geo

Unfortunately, Dead Air finale contains a Jesus Spot*.
A Jesus Spot is a glitch, in which if all 4 players are in this Jesus Spot, no zombies (and often no tanks as well) will spawn. Leading you straight to the rescue vehicle opening/arriving/leaving without ever firing a single shot.

I know Dead Air is still in a beta. But come on VALVe.

Divius

Metal-Geo said:
Unfortunately, Dead Air finale contains a Jesus Spot.
It's crappy that it exists, but people are even crappier for using it.

Daigoro

duckroll said:
Yes it's confirmed. The only difference is that the PC gets updates regularly whenever they are kinda ready, but MS requires it to be packaged and bundled as pay DLC. So later on this Summer, Valve is going to put out a new DLC pack for L4D2 which contains the new campaign Cold Stream, all the remaining L4D1 campaigns, and some significant (?) changes to the Dead Carnival campaign. No word on pricing yet, but 360 players are definitely getting it.

whoa. didnt know that. good stuff.

Metal-Geo said:
Unfortunately, Dead Air finale contains a Jesus Spot.
A Jesus Spot is a glitch, in which if all 4 players are in this Jesus Spot, no zombies (and often no tanks as well) will spawn. Leading you straight to the rescue vehicle opening/arriving/leaving without ever firing a single shot.

lol. you spoilered the definition of jesus room. interesting. thought you we spoilering the actual spot. which still wouldnt have made any sense.

Metal-Geo

Daigoro said:
lol. you spoilered the definition of jesus room. interesting. thought you we spoilering the actual spot. which still wouldnt have made any sense.
I forgot the asterisk. :V
Quite honestly, I don't know the rules regarding sharing glitches like these.

BadTaste

I've had L4D2 on Disk for a while now but never got round to playing it, so I install the disk via Steam and after it installs it wants me to download an extra 5 GB? It totals to 12 GB or so, my friend is playing L4D2 and he downloaded the whole game from Steam and it only takes up 7.4 GB on his system...

Bluth54

BadTaste105 said:
I've had L4D2 on Disk for a while now but never got round to playing it, so I install the disk via Steam and after it installs it wants me to download an extra 5 GB? It totals to 12 GB or so, my friend is playing L4D2 and he downloaded the whole game from Steam and it only takes up 7.4 GB on his system...
The disk isn't going to contain all of extra content Valve has released for the game, even if you have a newer disk it's not going to have Cold Stream or Dead Air campaigns, and may not have the Sacrifice.

I'm not sure why your file size is 12 GB though, mine is also 7.4 GB. Maybe multiple languages were installed?

Today’s Left 4 Dead 2 update contains a new version of the Terminal Map For Dead Air. With this change, we are getting pretty close to being complete on this campaign. We have a few more known bugs to fix – but it is close. At this stage what we really need is more testing.

To encourage testing, we created a new achievement: Connecting Fights. You earn it by playing a complete game of Versus in Dead Air. Do that and we have another prize. When 60,000 people earn this achievement, we will unlock the beta version of Blood Harvest on Steam the next weekday.

60,000 is going to be hard. You can’t rage quit and you need to work together. Once you get the achievement, help others get it as well. As always, please post feedback and bugs for the campaign on the Steam Forums and Facebook.

Watch for twitter updates with stats on your progression to the goal.

We need to do this GAF! I want Blood Harvest on my L4D2 NOW.

I guess I'll try it, then.

Btw, does anyone else notice how dead the TAAAAANK mutation is? Maybe I need to change my download regions or something, because I barely get more than 5 available games.

Uriah

So in the first game of Dead Air I join immediately two of the players in the game start bitching at each other about some previous game with each other. Then, as we move forward into the level I get pulled off the bridge. I then get a kick option against me because one of the players is angry because I didn't know the shortcut. The other player who was earlier arguing against this guy throws up a kick option against him for putting up a kick option against me. Then one of them leaves and the team dissolves. The community hasn't changed at all.

vertopci

Uriah said:
So in the first game of Dead Air I join immediately two of the players in the game start bitching at each other about some previous game with each other. Then, as we move forward into the level I get pulled off the bridge. I then get a kick option against me because one of the players is angry because I didn't know the shortcut. The other player who was earlier arguing against this guy throws up a kick option against him for putting up a kick option against me. Then one of them leaves and the team dissolves. The community hasn't changed at all.

Welcome to the world of team based gameplay.

vazel

Banned
Oh come on guys those kinds of situations are hilarious. It's why I love this game so much. All the rage in this game is funny.

MrDaravon

vazel said:
Oh come on guys those kinds of situations are hilarious. It's why I love this game so much. All the rage in this game is funny.

To a point, but that's also exactly why I never play L4D unless it's with 3 other friends, which is not a frequent proposition. Then most of the time we are playing colitions of randomly placed together people that 90% of the time results in us stomping them so hard that they usually all quit and it ends the game. I have no idea how to do it, but if there's one thing L4D needs it's some sort of better matchmaking system, or at least something that would reduce the rampant quitting and teamfucking.

Was anyone able to get the Dead Air achievement consistently? Between two full games with me and my friends, only 5 people out of 16 total were awarded it. 2 in the first game, 3 in the second.

duckroll

Sega1991 said:
Was anyone able to get the Dead Air achievement consistently? Between two full games with me and my friends, only 5 people out of 16 total were awarded it. 2 in the first game, 3 in the second.

Only the winning team gets the achievement, and only if every single player on that team started from the very first map onwards. I've played 3 games of Dead Air over the weekend.

In the first game 3 people in the winning team got the achievement because one guy dropped and rejoined midway due to a crash. Second game, 2 people in the winning team got the achievement because the other 2 already had it. Third game, all 4 players on the winning team got the achievement.

duckroll said:
Only the winning team gets the achievement, and only if every single player on that team started from the very first map onwards. I've played 3 games of Dead Air over the weekend.

In the first game 3 people in the winning team got the achievement because one guy dropped and rejoined midway due to a crash. Second game, 2 people in the winning team got the achievement because the other 2 already had it. Third game, all 4 players on the winning team got the achievement.

Except I know that wasn't the case at all. That's the whole problem.

duckroll

Sega1991 said:
Except I know that wasn't the case at all. That's the whole problem.

Well, I can only relate my experience, which is what you asked. I don't know how the achievement was coded, or what bugs other people have experienced. The achievement worked for me and the people I played with, but only for the winning team.

bs000

I got the achievement on my first attempt, and I was on the losing team. My team kept rage quitting and it was 4v1 by the end of the finale and once it was over all the remaining players got the achievement.

Do some of you load alot slower than others? I've had problems with some of the L4D2 achievements because sometimes I didn't load as fast as the other players. Sometimes, by the time I've loaded, everyone's already out of the safe room, including a bot where I should be. The game acts like I joined in the middle of a game, so I didn't unlock stuff like beating a campaign on expert. I can't think of any other reason why it wouldn't unlock.

bs000 said:
I got the achievement on my first attempt, and I was on the losing team. My team kept rage quitting and it was 4v1 by the end of the finale and once it was over all the remaining players got the achievement.

Do some of you load alot slower than others? I've had problems with some of the L4D2 achievements because sometimes I didn't load as fast as the other players. Sometimes, by the time I've loaded, everyone's already out of the safe room, including a bot where I should be. The game acts like I joined in the middle of a game, so I didn't unlock stuff like beating a campaign on expert. I can't think of any other reason why it wouldn't unlock.

We usually only have a couple of guys that we need to wait for to load in.

I've been both on winning and losing teams, even been one of the ones still alive as the final score tally comes up.

No achievement has ever been granted to me.

duckroll

http://twitter.com/#!/l4ddev/status/100742473751601153
We will have an update tomorrow morning fixing the achievement bug. If you earned it but it is not appearaing - it will be awarded to you.

So yeah, the achievement was bugged, and they're fixing it. The current count, including those who haven't been awarded the achievement yet (but should be getting it), is about 33k. We need another 27k for Blood Harvest! ~_~

Acidote

ALL HAIL THE HEALING GNOME!

QcgSQ.png

The game just updated, 149.6 MB

vazel

Banned
Fucking Valve. I love how despite the update notes saying finale scoring was fixed I just experienced otherwise. Not only is the score glitched but 2nd tank did not spawn. Ruined an exciting friends game.

Having said that I am grateful for these free updates and for Valve not using this as an opportunity to dlc us.

Yeah, Death Toll is all kinds of bugged. Had the church guy not even spawn sometimes (as in, the door opens and nothing is in there). Scoring on the church event is also busted - rather than count the crescendo event as part of scoring, it only counts based on how close you are to the safe room door.

The finale scoring is broken, but only for the first team. Scoring works correctly for the second survivor team, which REALLY makes versus games feel super one-sided.

And, like a lot of the beta L4D1 campaigns, the director seems to go nuts with giving you tons of goodies.

Now I remember why I uninstalled. 13,000 people playing and only one empty lobby showing up in the 'browser'. It's been 3 years since L4D1. Can't believe they haven't fixed this shit.

Gui_PT

Finally got a computer decent enough to run this. Dumb question, but does anyone know when the game might possibly get cheaper?

KarmaCow

Gui_PT said:
Finally got a computer decent enough to run this. Dumb question, but does anyone know when the game might possibly get cheaper?

It will most likely get cheaper during the winter sale in december, but there might be sales before then.

lifa-cobex

Gui_PT said:

I was thinking of finally getting this myself.

I'll wait till Halloween for a possible sale.

Top Bottom