• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun (PS4, cancelled) / Legacy of Kain: Nosgoth (PC, upcoming)

Shrieve

Neo Member
Don't really care for the character design for Dead Sun but it's always disheartening to hear cancellations so far into development.

Fantastic work as always Mama. Thanks!

I'm not really disappointed since I'm 100% confident we'll still get another real Legacy of Kain game someday.

Why do you want it? Do you really think they will be able to match the writing of the previous games (other then BO2)?

I know I'm not really disappointed since this is a series I would rather see dead then ruined. Got an idea for something new with it? Go make it into a new IP, and let this one stay where it belongs.
In our hearts.

Syril

It’s worth noting that Monkeythumbz is likely very limited as to what he is allowed to answer , as the game is yet to be officially unveiled. The answers above though, do give me optimism. I’m looking forward to exploring Nosgoth again, in whatever form it comes. I’m getting the impression that the team is really being quite dedicated in fitting their new game into the lore and history of the series. Perhaps we are going to play through one of the series’ infamous wars?

His answers make me think that it's going to involve the time after Raziel's "execution" and before Soul Reaver takes place. He's said that it's after Nosgoth was corrupted and during a time that both Kain and Raziel existed, but are indisposed in some fashion. During this time, Raziel is in the Abyss and Kain withdrew from leading his empire and is letting it tear itself apart. He's also said that there are both playable vampires and non-vampires (that aren't hylden), which would allow for vampires vs. humans. He mentioned there being flamethrowers, and there were in fact humans with flamethrowers in Soul Reaver. Also, as far is I know the war during this time is the only one in the series that wasn't completely one-sided, so it would be believable if either side won a given match.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
completely idiotic decision to cancel the single player for a god damn multiplayer. what the hell is up with these decisions? did shadowrun teach us nothing?

Grief.exe

completely idiotic decision to cancel the single player for a god damn multiplayer. what the hell is up with these decisions? did shadowrun teach us nothing?

Most likely separate development teams, both were in development at the same time. One was not cancelled in favor of the other, Square just thought the return on Dying Sun was not worth the investment.

Developing a multiplayer only game for Windows is a very safe bet right now, and one that is relatively inexpensive.

Now as to why they cancelled the game so far along in development, your guess was as good as mine.

avatar meets nathan drake. terrible.

everything else looked pretty good though. again, like others said, why must everything these days be hyper-realistic and humanoid all the time? i don't care if this is supposed to be a different character/creature. the variety of life forms shown above are limited to humanoid and that's it. Soul Reaver had such delicious variety, and that was supposedly a small slice of the originally planned out game.

Grief.exe

avatar meets nathan drake. terrible.

everything else looked pretty good though. again, like others said, why must everything these days be hyper-realistic and humanoid all the time? i don't care if this is supposed to be a different character/creature. the variety of life forms shown above are limited to humanoid and that's it. Soul Reaver had such delicious variety, and that was supposedly a small slice of the originally planned out game.

Because focus groups made up of the lowest common denominator says that is popular.

Doubtful those people would even buy a Legacy of Kain game in the first place, but they are focus tested anyways.

Because focus groups made up of the lowest common denominator says that is popular.

Doubtful those people would even buy a Legacy of Kain game in the first place, but they are focus tested anyways.

Kinda like Jim Sterling's "Damn Fine Coffee" video. A lot of people in test groups tend to say what they THINK others want them to say rather than what THEY really want. Damn people and their peer pressure!

Atomski

Honestly that character design.. not sure Id want..

Then I hear about this PC version.. I see Unreal Championship which gets me slightly excited. Then I realize they mean that shity 3rd person UC2

Fug that.

Hurf

Neo Member
Look, just give me Dark Souls set in the Legacy of Kain world with as much of the original writing and voice talent as possible and I'll buy it and all the DLC you can make.

The world does not need another watered-down DOTA.

Alric

:-( this hits right in the feels in the worst way possible. Finish the original series or bury the series in the deserts of Nevada but don't do this to me man.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I reckon it's going to be a first-person arena combat game in the same vein as Chivalry or Mount and Blade.

ChronoX

This is a joke right? Wtf is this!?

BC_BG_S_Gein_05_zps7aed63f6.jpg

Jac_Solar

People are only, or mainly interested in LoK because of the narrative, world, exploration, lore and universe interaction that is done through single player, right? How many existing LoK fans would buy a LoK multiplayer only game just because it's related to LoK?

Why would they potentially ruin or damage a beloved single player IP with a multiplayer only title, when that is so far removed from anything and everything that's related to the series itself?

Why couldn't they instead have made a brand new IP/universe for their Multiplayer game? They could have introduced people to a new IP/universe, and gauged general interest for a new series of single player and/or multiplayer games.

People are only, or mainly interested in LoK because of the narrative, world, exploration, lore and universe interaction that is done through single player, right? How many existing LoK fans would buy a LoK multiplayer only game just because it's related to LoK?

I ask the same question. Not just in relation to multiplayer, but why would anyone think we would get the same level of writing as before without the original writers? I know I'm seriously not interested in any more LoK stuff without Amy Hennig.

Also don't really get why people are reacting over that character design. The series has gone though a few different design changes, and really doesn't mater as much to the quality of the games as the dialog and characters themselves.

SerRodrik

I still don't believe they think the best use for the Legacy of Kain franchise is some kind of multiplayer game. No matter how many times I hear it, it's still completely baffling!

Why would they potentially ruin or damage a beloved single player IP with a multiplayer only title, when that is so far removed from anything and everything that's related to the series itself?

Why couldn't they instead have made a brand new IP/universe for their Multiplayer game? They could have introduced people to a new IP/universe, and gauged general interest for a new series of single player and/or multiplayer games.

Yeah you make complete sense to me. Even though the OP is optimistic about Nosgoth I'm not. I don't really play multiplayer (on PC that is) either. I'm extremely sad to see that all the work that went into Dead Sun is lost. Fuck the corporate people for canceling it so far into development but still going forward with Nosgoth. It's like a kick in the balls for LoK fans like me/us.

"We heard you want more Legacy of Kain so we canceled the story driven single-player game and are giving you a multiplayer-only game instead. Have fun!" -Squeenix

As always, thank you Mama Robotnik for the excellent information you dig up.

Rezbit

Dang it I want more LoK single-player :(

Looks kinda interesting....I wonder what was so bad about the game to have it canned?

Also, Unreal Championship like MP game, definitely not sure if want.

How do you let a production get so far along before pulling the plug?

This industry is in serious trouble and Square's antics and tinkering with their Eidos properties will bring much harm to them.

SaintR

Yeah you make complete sense to me. Even though the OP is optimistic about Nosgoth I'm not. I don't really play multiplayer (on PC that is) either. I'm extremely sad to see that all the work that went into Dead Sun is lost. Fuck the corporate people for canceling it so far into development but still going forward with Nosgoth. It's like a kick in the balls for LoK fans like me/us.

"We heard you want more Legacy of Kain so we canceled the story driven single-player game and are giving you a multiplayer-only game instead. Have fun!" -Squeenix

As always, thank you Mama Robotnik for the excellent information you dig up.

So much this...

Mama Robotnik, as a long time lurker I have found all your threads insanely informative when it has come to LOK, so thanks again for this. That being said, your fervor for this particular subject matter has clouded your judgement in this. This is an abomination.

who knows it might be good for different reasons

Coiote

What the hell?

Why did they cancel Dead Sun?

They should have fused Dead Sun with Nosgoth. Who does want a multiplayer only LoK game?

A robust single player in the LoK universe is what we want. If they included a competent multiplayer mode on top of that to give the game some legs, they would have a chance to succeed with the game.

So much work for nothing :(

Could have been a big PS4 exclusive, I wonder what happened for it all to fall apart so far along (especially with voice acting done).

Love and miss the Kain series. Would have bought PS4 version day one, no questions asked. Not a PC gamer.

Bummer.
Yeah, I'm not a launch console person but I would have got a launch PS4 for this if it was format exclusive. After three years, it boggles the mind somewhat that the plug can be pulled. I'd love to know who made that decision.

Okay the maincharacter looks ugly fromt he concept. But changing him wouldnt be such a problem. Overall i think its kinda sad that this game that could have been a good game maybe even worthy to be named LoK wasnt released even trough being 3 years in the development.

Im interested in Nosgoth even trough its MP.

Now with LoK's luck, Nosgoth will fail utterly and they will blame the franchise and mothball it permanently. :((((

Hopefully not.

Blackage

1) Turn a traditionally single player game experience into a multi-player game experience nobody asked for.
2) Set Call of Duty expectations for said game and hope it sells 12-15 million copies and spend half a billion $$$ on it.
3) Watch it fail horribly
4) Blame the fans for not supporting it, and franchise for not being popular enough
5) Leave AAA development and blame used games and the industry for it.

The fucking logic on display here is baffling.

Take a single player game made popular because of its story telling and characters. Remove all those elements and release a multiplayer game. Watch as the game bombs because people who loved the originals dont buy it because everythingt hey love about the series is gone, and people who play multiplayer games dont care because it has no pedigree as an MP game. Game bombs hard, squenix blame piracy. The cycle continues.

God fucking damnnit, SE.

N30RYU

Looks at the OP title... looks at the main character...and

No tears are shed...

They shouldn't cancell the game... they should bourned all this artworks and never let them see the light.

Lord Phol

Take a single player game made popular because of its story telling and characters. Remove all those elements and release a multiplayer game. Watch as the game bombs because people who loved the originals dont buy it because everythingt hey love about the series is gone, and people who play multiplayer games dont care because it has no pedigree as an MP game. Game bombs hard, squenix blame piracy. The cycle continues.

God fucking damnnit, SE.

Remind me of Shadowrun 2007. This is a bit of bummer since I'm a big LoK fan (replayed both Soul Reaver and Defiance not too long ago, still as good), and this Nosgoth really doesn't sound like a LoK game at all.

Dead Man

All that work and THEN cancelled? What the fuck?

I'm more than okay with Dead Sun being cancelled based on those character designs, especially the main character. How the fuck are you going to follow up this bad mother fucker:

yUsPaBz.jpg

With that shit?

Obvious answer: you're not.

Yeah, the character design in the OP is all kinds of messed up, but still, I would put up with it if it meant a new SP game.

God fucking damnnit, SE.

How to kill franchises 101.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου

Take a single player game made popular because of its story telling and characters. Remove all those elements and release a multiplayer game. Watch as the game bombs because people who loved the originals dont buy it because everythingt hey love about the series is gone, and people who play multiplayer games dont care because it has no pedigree as an MP game. Game bombs hard, squenix blame piracy lack of consumer interest in the franchise. The cycle continues.

God fucking damnnit, SE.

Fixed.

BigDes

I heard that they start and cancel over 200000 Legacy of Kain games every second

Because, Jesus Christ could we have one please.

Top Bottom