• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun (PS4, cancelled) / Legacy of Kain: Nosgoth (PC, upcoming)

Naughty Dog are great at polished, heavily scripted and cinematic, extremely linear games with bad/mediocre gameplay. They've given no indication that they'd be a better choice than any other developer for a Legacy of Kain project.

From what I've gathered on the subject, LoK needs to be more freeform, tell more of its story through dialogue, allow some exploration, environments needs to have lots of character and story, etc.

Kinda missing the reason why people would want Naughty Dog to make the game. The writer who had her hands in just about every good part of the games works for them. Not to mention that your first sentence could replace "Naughty Dog are" with "The LoK games were", and it would still be as true minus BO1.

Edit: Guess I should mention that I realize that there is no chance for ND to ever be able to do this, just explaining why people would want it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
^ theSlacker gets it. Also, I object about the gameplay. LoK games had very decent gameplay, and so do most of Naughty Dog's titles (UC3 being the exception). But that's for another topic...

This is a joke right? Wtf is this!?

BC_BG_S_Gein_05_zps7aed63f6.jpg

Looks pretty Demifiend/Hitoshura inspired... and that is a good thing,

Shame about the cancellation.

Jac_Solar

Kinda missing the reason why people would want Naughty Dog to make the game. The writer who had her hands in just about every good part of the games works for them. Not to mention that your first sentence could replace "Naughty Dog are" with "The LoK games were", and it would still be as true minus BO1.

Edit: Guess I should mention that I realize that there is no chance for ND to ever be able to do this, just explaining why people would want it.

I haven't played that much of the LOK games, but they seemed to be far more open, non-linear than any of ND's games. Not the exact opposite, but much more about giving the player control than ND's games. They would probably make a good story for a LOK game, but I'm not sure about the gameplay, world interaction and similar aspects, which is why I said ND wouldn't necessarily make a better LOK game than any other developer.

But I'm not that familiar with the games.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
LoK games are not open or non-linear, they have a Zelda or Metroidvania-like progression at the most.
That's not necessarily a bad thing either. I'm kind of sick of the implication that linear = bad and open = good, it's complete nonsense.

glaurung

Not a huge fan of those mockups and concept art pieces, but Square showing me a new Legacy of Kain game and then canceling it is like giving your child an adorable kitten and then wringing its neck before the kid's eyes.

As for any DotA or LoL-style Legacy of Kain game - kill it with fire.

I'd be willing to let ND handle it if it meant Amy Hennig was heavily involved.

But yeah, that artwork I don't like up there.

LoK games are not open or non-linear, they have a Zelda or Metroidvania-like progression at the most.
That's not necessarily a bad thing either. I'm kind of sick of the implication that linear = bad and open = good, it's complete nonsense.
Agreed. I think Darksiders was the closest we goth to Legacy of Kain in both atmosphere and gameplay this generation.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
BTW, has there ever been a reason why the original Blood Omen is still the only LoK game not available for purchase via digital download?
Eh? It's like $6 on PSN... I'm tempted to buy it despite having the retail version, just to see if the loading times are slightly better. And maybe to not having to put the disc in... ^^

Persona7

Banned
Do what? Unless of course you're referring to the Nosgoth game.

BTW, has there ever been a reason why the original Blood Omen is still the only LoK game not available for purchase via digital download?

I would buy it in a heartbeat on GOG.

The developer and publisher had a IP dispute and the developer just moved on.

ArjanN

VictIS. Or VictO. Or VictAE*

And it's pretty funny you mention it as a motto in a thread like that. Some could argue this saying is a perfect fit for today's SE.

*IIRC, been a while ^___^'

That's what the phrase was in the game even it was technically incorrect.

Eh? It's like $6 on PSN... I'm tempted to buy it despite having the retail version, just to see if the loading times are slightly better. And maybe to not having to put the disc in... ^^
Sorry, I meant PC. Steam and GOG doesn't have it but the poster below I guess explained it.

The developer and publisher had a IP dispute and the developer just moved on.
Really wish it would come out on GOG.

gatti-man

Oh man how did I miss this. Legacy of kain launch game for ps4 even if crap would have definitely sold. I don't even.... hurts so bad.... I need to lay down.

Oh man how did I miss this. Legacy of kain launch game for ps4 even if crap would have definitely sold. I don't even.... hurts so bad.... I need to lay down.

Jesus, I totally missed this, too. It's cancelled after so much work done? That is just supremely heartbreaking. I've wanted a new singleplayer Legacy of Kain for a long, long time and now it's been replaced by multiplayer-only title. No matter how good it may turn out to be--of which, after high-budget disappointments like The Old Republic and The Elder Scrolls, I'd be extremely doubtful--, it won't be what I'm looking for. And I have a feeling that a lot of old LoK and Soul Reaver fans are going to think so as well... which will even further destroy any hope of a franchise revival.

After so much work done, it's pretty hard to accept a reason for cancellation as seemingly simple as the one given. Immediately announcing a multiplayer-only title afterwards just reeks of pining after some of that F2P microtransaction or indeed subscription-model money. Well, let's see what they'll make of it. At least it's not an MMO and may indeed be something fresh. Forgive me for remaining sceptical, though.

Totally missed it as well.

Yeah, would have been so bought and around now it'd probably have gotten a ton of notice. And on top of that seeing a MP one continue development is just depressing since I don't really play online games and therefore don't really want one.

bengraven

That interview in the OP.

"is it..."
"no"
"Is this awesome thing in..."
"No"
"is it inspired by this awesome thing..."
"no"

Well shit.

This looks like the Lycan character in the Underworld series a bit.

Soul Reaver was a funny series for me. I loved Blood Omen a lot. Loved Soul Reaver, but the sequels fell off pretty fast for me.

Hearing about a resurrection always gets my nostalgic blood pumping, but hearing it is competitive multiplayer kills any joy that could possibly come from it.

SmartBase

Square Enix gonna Square Enix.

I would've bought a PS4 for another LoK but I have zero interest in Nosgoth.

Nice bump by the way.

This thread bump... it's like opening a wound again.

Sorry bro, I know that feel, I just wanted to express my feelings about this topic, I know it hurts, but I still have faith to see Raziel and Kain coming back to the PS4, PC....

Oh god this thread hurt...... nice Raziel picture though.

Thx, I found it long time ago, and I wanted to post it because I like it so much, I hope that Square Enix release a new LoK and Soul Reaver game. Please SE make it happen!

Square Enix gonna Square Enix.

I would've bought a PS4 for another LoK but I have zero interest in Nosgoth.

Nice bump by the way.

After I read what kind of game will be Nosgoth, I've completely lost interest in that game, even though I want to see it and make a decision, but prolly I won't buy it...

Well while SE decides to make another Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver game, I'll be replaying the old and good LoK SR games!

NEO0MJ

Now that this thread is up I was wondering if it was worth buying the Legacy of Kain bundle that's on steam right now. Also, any major games missing from it?

vio

That looks like something out of Planescape:Torment.

I'm more than okay with Dead Sun being cancelled based on those character designs, especially the main character. How the fuck are you going to follow up this bad mother fucker:

yUsPaBz.jpg

With that shit?

Obvious answer: you're not.

Indeed. Raziel cannot be replaced, or redesigned. It`s a perfection.
In perfect world, we would get a new game with Raziel. Go back to 1st Soul Reaver style, more darker than sequels. Just improve more on combat.

Should I try to find Blood Omen as well or just read its plot on wiki? Also, what order should I play the games?

That game hasn't been released on GOG nor Steam yet, good luck if you can find it bro, if not, just read the plot of the game, then play Blood Omen 2, Soul Reaver 1, SR 2 and finally Defiance! Or you can leave Blood Omen 2 after Defiance!

Top Bottom