• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra |OT| - Saturday Mornings Just Got Better

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it has more to do with her taking her responsibility as Chief of the police very serious.

It's kind of interesting really, they have a police force which is made of highly specialized earthbenders, the metal benders, yet they still have to treat everyone the same, be it a bender or 'normal' criminals. Even Korra the Avatar didn't get any special treatment untill Tenzin, one of the city's leaders showed up. On the other side its questionable if non-benders could pose an effective police force against powerful bending criminals.
I hope they'll elaborate on the police force a lot more when the whole anti-bender story comes up.

She was just subverting protagonist centered morality.

Being the protagonist doesn't give you a free pass to break the law.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was that or the latter that you two came up with. I agree thanks for the clarification.

I think Sokka and the Kyoshi warriors proved how useful non-benders can be. I can't help but think they may have a legacy and influence for non-benders all on their own that the show might not reveal until a later date. I think Sokka and the Kyoshi warriors definetly could've been seen as an inspiration for non-benders who felt like they were inferior to benders. The show's creators have purposefully been silent and not talked much about what happened to Sokka after the series ended so I'm thinking with this whole bender vs. antibender conflict that they would reveal something later in the series.

Pretty good first episode, though I'd seen most of the good bits from leaks and trailers.

Steven Blum at the end as the villain guy, whatever his name is, made me chuckle. I love the guy, but he's no Mark Hammill.

I thought his voice was familiar. Shishio :eek:

Avatar was smart enough to do stuff like this so I expect LoK to do the same re: the anti-benders actually having a decent point. It's like the Registration Act in Civil War in the Marvel universe: If people had the power to shoot fucking fire out of their hands, maybe they SHOULD be watched with a close eye.

The writers and producers should not only restrict Korra in republic city. The Avatar world is huge and diverse. There is plenty to cover.

I really hope we get an older Aang focused episode like the Roku episode in Season 3.
No. I would rather they focus on the new cast. focusing on Aang without proper plot point is bad writing. They should not just shove Aang there just for the sake of it.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
If there's only 1 wish I have for this series, please don't pair Korra with Mako. It would nice to see a female lead not fall for the brooding, serious type for once.

Zekes!

I really liked Korra as a character and thought the first episode was pretty good and well-paced. I'm actually kind of interested in this show, and this is coming from someone who thought the original Avatar was simply alright.

No. I would rather they focus on the new cast. focusing on Aang without proper plot point is bad writing. They should not just shove Aang there just for the sake of it.

I don't see how it wouldn't fit in the plot considering the setting was created by Aang. Plus, surely she's going to talk to Aang at some point, as she is the Avatar. Either way, it was more of a dream scenario than anything.

Amir0x

Banned
not bad for a first episode. seems like it's hitting the right notes. Has the potential to be better than the original series imo

CoolS

I think it was better than the premier of The Last Airbender, at the very least.

You can't really compare them if you ask me. TLA's opening had to work as an introduction to the whole Avatar universe and set up the foundation for the overall plot. This felt more like a natural extention of the universe.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
If there's only 1 wish I have for this series, please don't pair Korra with Mako. It would nice to see a female lead not fall for the brooding, serious type for once.

Uh... so continue like in the first series then?

Raxus

I actually think they're not going to pair Korra up with anyone at all.

Probably for the best for now. The earth bender guy looks like a great character, I hope to see him soon.

My 1 request to add to the pile would be wanting to know what happened to 'space sword'.

Ultimadrago

WK5E0.jpg
I shouldn't have looked.

To be fair, she can't see him.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Probably for the best for now. The earth bender guy looks like a great character, I hope to see him soon.

My 1 request to add to the pile would be wanting to know what happened to 'space sword'.

Yeah i wonder if Sokka found it and past it down.

Arment

Avatar was smart enough to do stuff like this so I expect LoK to do the same re: the anti-benders actually having a decent point. It's like the Registration Act in Civil War in the Marvel universe: If people had the power to shoot fucking fire out of their hands, maybe they SHOULD be watched with a close eye.

That's my take on it too. Considering Korra basically witnessed bender on non-bender crime shortly after that only confirms my thoughts as well.

Wiseblade

I wonder what the ratio of kid to adult viewers is of Avatar and LoK.

I'd imagine Korra's demo will skew significantly older. Between Avatar's originally young audience aging 4 years since the end of that show, older people getting even older and new older people jumping in over the break, it's going to be crazy. I just Hope Nick doesn't ignore high ratings if the target demographic number aren't quite there.

shira

I'd imagine Korra's demo will skew significantly older. Between Avatar's originally young audience aging 4 years since the end of that show, older people getting even older and new older people jumping in over the break, it's going to be crazy. I just Hope Nick doesn't ignore high ratings if the target demographic number aren't quite there.
What is the target demographic? Seems like they made it everyone friendly.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was that or the latter that you two came up with. I agree thanks for the clarification.

I think Sokka and the Kyoshi warriors proved how useful non-benders can be. I can't help but think they may have a legacy and influence for non-benders all on their own that the show might not reveal until a later date. I think Sokka and the Kyoshi warriors definetly could've been seen as an inspiration for non-benders who felt like they were inferior to benders. The show's creators have purposefully been silent and not talked much about what happened to Sokka after the series ended so I'm thinking with this whole bender vs. antibender conflict that they would reveal something later in the series.

Actually, Ty Lee has more of an influence.
It's her techniques that are going to be the key for the non-bending revolution.

Actually, Ty Lee has more of an influence.
It's her techniques that are going to be the key for the non-bending revolution.

I know that Ty Lee's influence is important for the anti-bending revolution people but those are the bad guys. I was thinking of Sokka and the Kyoshi warriors having a positive influence on non-benders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom