• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild has no towns, handful of stray NPCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

p0rl

Disappointing if true.

For me, the towns always helped the emptier parts of the world feel empty for a reason. The little human interest stories made the world feel inhabited, like there was always a light on somewhere, even if it was a long way away.

Anbec7

Fine I like the change, besides there will be something similar like a tribe, camps or something.

what I do hope changes the formula is something shocking for the story... which I doubt

styl3s

Most Zelda games haven't had many towns to begin with, right? With the exception of Zelda 2, I can't think of any games with more than 2-3 tops.
We also don't know if it was a misquote and they meant there are no towns in the demo but there are towns later on in the game.

Either way it doesn't really matter to me and if there were towns the whole crafting stuff would be pointless if you could just run in a town and stock up on food, firewood etc. instead of going out exploring and doing it yourself.

Are we sure about this?

This if form IGN's interview with Aonuma this morning:

He also wouldn’t talk about towns. “I can't share too much about villages because to tell you how the villages work, they're interconnected to the story and overall world.”

It's a random poster on gaf with no actual source. Probably just a troll

Sylas

Most Zelda games haven't had many towns to begin with, right? With the exception of Zelda 2, I can't think of any games with more than 2-3 tops.

I'd say it depends on your definition of towns. OOT had... 5? Death Mountain, Kakariko Village, Castle Town, Zora's Domain and Gerudo Hideout.

Eliseo

Just saw the trailer. I still don't know what to think of this one. It looked pretty empty. I'm not one of the people asking for Zelda Souls, but I was a bit underwhelmed. And this news has me even more skeptical. Sorry, folks.

Did you watch the gameplay they have been streaming?

mStudios

Aonuma just said he cant talk about villages becasue they are related to the story.

Who the fuck came up with the "No towns/Villages" ?

I enjoy the towns in Zelda, but it's cool if they change it up. Just going to have to wait and see on the execution. The game looks amazing IMO, can't wait.

timshundo

Being upset at having no towns seems so arbitrary, just like those people who were upset at FFXV maybe not having "airships."

Let the people do their job and make their game!

Davey Cakes

Don't know what to make of this, honestly. The towns have never been a significant part of Zelda for me, other than maybe Clock Town and OOT's Kakariko Village.

The Zelda series is taking a new direction so I'll be willing to accept the changes that come along the way.

Mr. F

Banned
Worried that the map will be huge for the sake of it, it already looked kind of barren (regardless of thematic intent) and copy/paste with environmental assets and enemy camps in the demo area...I just hope it's not as boring as the TP overworld.

Can we get an actual source beyond random GAF poster?

Nope.

A user in the other thread posted that Aonuma didn't have a comment about that. He wanted the players to discover this stuff for themselves. This was taken from an interview he did with IGN.

Right now, it seems like people are worked up for no reason again.

Woffls

Weird, that's different from what Aonuma told IGN...
He also wouldn’t talk about towns. “I can't share too much about villages because to tell you how the villages work, they're interconnected to the story and overall world.”
This quote makes things interesting. I'm guessing towns don't exist in the version of Hyrule that we've seen, but that it will undergo significant changes at some point and appear after that? Matches up with how he responded to the question.

Fou-Lu

Are we sure about this?

Okay that gives me hope for this to exist:

Though I feel like not having a Dark Cloud style civilization rebuilding system is a missed opportunity.

Towns in Zelda SUCK.
Majora's Mask did it right and there was a reason for that. This game is Zelda Prime, and I'm happy about it.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
This isn't what I want, but given what they've said and shown about the game, as well as the general direction of the game, I'm absolutely not surprised. I wonder if the farmers they originally showed still exist. I'm sure the NPCs we get will be a couple people important to the game—Zelda, Ganon, maybe a Sheikah, perhaps some other figure—and some of the typical quirky Zelda NPCs. Hopefully the Zoras return.

nikatapi

Don't really care, seems to be in line with the post-apocalyptic setting and isolated exploration that looks like the main goal of the game.

Aselith

If this is true, well its a bummer for me. Towns in Zelda games always feel vibrant and down right fun.

What are your thoughts on an open world Zelda game without towns and villages?

Why would that change here? Just because there are no towns doesn't mean the game won't be fun nor even that it won't be vibrant. It can feel alive without towns.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I said this is the Treehouse thread, but that sounds great to me. Towns are always the lamest part of any Zelda game.

Isolation seems like it's a big part of this game and I am a-okay with that!

Are we sure about this?

Well like they said, there's none in the traditional sense.

Cartho

Bit of a shame really - early on they made a big deal about it being this big open world. When I saw the first videos a year or so back I was concerned that it might feel abit empty. This only serves to increase that worry.

Still, I trust Ninty, I'm sure it will be great!

I wanna cut down trees and build my own town. Fetch Town!
I'll corral all those wondering NPC into it, and make them make me go look for random things in multiples of 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom