• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes |OT| Of great themes and vocal legos

I can firmly confirm this. They were showing it at E3. It's a down-port made by TT Fusion, just like almost every other handheld Lego game. The only time a portable version has matched the consoles was the PSP version of the first Lego Batman, and it was glorious if a little low res.

Did they say anything the about LotR game being an exact console port to Vita?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I play my Vita for 3 hours straight at times and when I am done I just pause and put it to sleep. So I rarely ever shut it completely off. I get the feeling majority of handheld owners do this so its frustrating when they try to make games like this bite sized for a "better handheld experience".

but many of the handheld people are always saying they want their special and unique experience and not just ports from consoles.

FHIZ

As soon as I heard this was an open world, it really piqued my interest. Then, when I learned I got Nightwing and Damian Wayne from an amazon pre order, I threw money at my computer screen with joy. Can't wait for Tuesday.

SHarris78

Really don't know whether to buy for the Vita or not, the lack of an open world is a huge dissapointment. But it DOES look fun and the cast of character is nice too.

Decisions decisions........

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Really don't know whether to buy for the Vita or not, the lack of an open world is a huge dissapointment. But it DOES look fun and the cast of character is nice too.

Decisions decisions........

Lack of an open world is a disappointment, but it's not like the handheld versions aren't fun.
Next time though I expect Vita to get the real deal console version.

Wow, this looks amazing! I've always written off LEGO games as cheesy dumbed down juvenile franchise whoring cash-ins, but the video of Supes flying around Gotham and stealing the Batmobile... it just looks like a ton of fun. I hope my original hunch about LEGO games sucking doesn't turn out to be right, because it will be a big stretch for my budget to buy a new game, but... *looks at avatar*... how can I possibly resist?

Sqorgar

Banned
Wow, this looks amazing! I've always written off LEGO games as cheesy dumbed down juvenile franchise whoring cash-ins, but the video of Supes flying around Gotham and stealing the Batmobile... it just looks like a ton of fun. I hope my original hunch about LEGO games sucking doesn't turn out to be right, because it will be a big stretch for my budget to buy a new game, but... *looks at avatar*... how can I possibly resist?
The LEGO games most certainly do not suck. Frankly, as a parent, the ability to have a game that I can play with my kids that I actually enjoy playing is something akin to a miracle. Also, that split screen they have is magical. MAGICAL.

MisterHero

The LEGO games most certainly do not suck. Frankly, as a parent, the ability to have a game that I can play with my kids that I actually enjoy playing is something akin to a miracle. Also, that split screen they have is magical. MAGICAL.
Indeed, the Lego games can be way more fun than the official games of the same franchises.

Xander51

Did they say anything the about LotR game being an exact console port to Vita?

I don't think they did, no. But given their track record and the need to produce multiple handheld skus, I'm guessing it won't be.

I'm pretty excited for Batman 2. Looking forward to picking it up on Tuesday on 360. I always play these games to death and burn out on them after a day or two, might take it slower this time.

Glix

In Vita Threads: "We want special Vita experiences. It's not a console, and Sony's big mistake is putting console games on it"

ITT: "Not buying Vita rev because it isn't the console version!"

LOL!

but many of the handheld people are always saying they want their special and unique experience and not just ports from consoles.

In Vita Threads: "We want special Vita experiences. It's not a console, and Sony's big mistake is putting console games on it"

LOL!

The difference here is that there is nothing about the handheld versions that make them good fits for the system, they're just dumbed down versions with less content than the console/PC versions. Maybe they'll have minigames or a tacked-on feature or two to make use of the touch screen, but those are rarely ever good.

People want games that are a good fit for handhelds, which the LEGO games are. Smallish sized levels and a focus on unlockables and replayability make them the perfect pick-up and play handheld games.

If the developers put some effort into the handheld versions and make them good, unique experiences tailored perfectly for their specific handheld, I'm sure we'd all be thrilled! But as that's probably not going to happen the best we can ask for are decent ports of the console versions.

LOL!

Not in this case, wouldnt you rather a Open World game instead or an upressed 3DS version? It's obvious why we would want the open world game.

Glix

The difference here is that there is nothing about the handheld versions that make them good fits for the system, they're just dumbed down versions with less content than the console/PC versions. Maybe they'll have minigames or a tacked-on feature or two to make use of the touch screen, but those are rarely ever good.

People want games that are a good fit for handhelds, which the LEGO games are. Smallish sized levels and a focus on unlockables and replayability make them the perfect pick-up and play handheld games.

If the developers put some effort into the handheld versions and make them good, unique experiences tailored perfectly for their specific handheld, I'm sure we'd all be thrilled! But as that's probably not going to happen the best we can ask for are decent ports of the console versions.

I'm totally with you, I'd love the Vita version, but not if its an HD port of the DS game.

It is just funny coming from Vita threads to this thread. It would cause great confusion to an uneducated observer (read: most people who make decisions @ software companies)

EDIT - Wow, Killthemx and I are really on the same page today.

I'm totally with you, I'd love the Vita version, but not if its an HD port of the DS game.

It is just funny coming from Vita threads to this thread. It would cause great confusion to an uneducated observer (read: most people who make decisions @ software companies)

EDIT - Wow, Killthemx and I are really on the same page today.

Lol I've realized. I would have got the Vita version for sure if it was the PS360 version scaled down. But knowing the power vita has after being spoiled by Uncharted and UMVC3 and Gravity Rush - I know they could do it. They just figured it would be easier to do it this way. Makes me sad.

Dingotech

Just wanted to voice another opinion here that won't be buying the game on the Vita due to it being a 3DS port rather than a console port.

Such a shame...

LOL!

We are getting a port either way and should be obvious even to you why people want a port of the console version and not the 3DS version

What really sucks about the Vita not getting the PS3 version IMO is it completely kills cross-play/multiplayer. As someone who likes the lego games but HATES their "smart" screen splitting my big dream with the vita was playing the same game but with one person on the tv and one person on the vita

Guess I was hoping for too much :(

Rootbeer

Banned
Bah, how long are we talking here?

You've never played a LEGO game?

You get access to new characters as you defeat them or fulfill special requirements -- it's part of the fun of the game :)

Seriously, if the idea of LEGO Batman sounds at all cool to you, you should get this game.

Bah, how long are we talking here?

After you beat the main storyline, you can replay every level with whichever two characters you choose. In every single LEGO game you can use literally every character that shows up, heroes, villains, and in the Star Wars games, droids that cannot jump or rats.

LEGO Batman 1 had two storyline missions where one plays as Harley and Joker together.

Messi

After you beat the main storyline, you can replay every level with whichever two characters you choose. In every single LEGO game you can use literally every character that shows up, heroes, villains, and in the Star Wars games, droids that cannot jump or rats.

LEGO Batman 1 had two storyline missions where one plays as Harley and Joker together.

Hmmm may have to look into this

I'm a bit confused. Are they saying that those five-packs of heroes and villains come pre-unlocked if you pre-order, or you won't ever get to play Captain Cold or Gorilla Grodd if you don't pre-order? Because seriously...would anyone consider Captain Cold worthy of pre-ordering?

I kinda would :(

Rootbeer

Banned
Originally the amazon pages for LEGO Batman 2 stated that they were exclusive unlocks. They have since changed the wording to state that the character unlock packs are "rare" whatever that means.

If I had to guess I would say you can buy the packs later, though I think that would actually be a first for a LEGO game. I hope this is true because I would not mind paying (assuming they are a DLC option for the Vita which they might not be :()

Source.

S1kkZ

any news on a demo for 360/ps3? seems weird that every lego game had a demo prior to release and this doesnt.

solarus

LOL!
...Wut. The handheld versions aren't exactly unique and specially designed for the handhelds, they are just the console games with the open world element stripped from them, so what you are saying has no relevance in this case. If you are getting a console game anyway wouldn't you want the entire feature set? Now if these were exclusively developed versions for the handhelds which are completely different from the console games, then maybe what you are saying would have any relevance.

LOL!

I have been very consistent in every thread that more games the better. I will gladly take a good mix of console ports, Sony ports like Sly 4, exclusives, and vita exclusive spinoffs. My thing is the system is better for having these games regardless if it's a port or not than the complete absence of said games.

The issue I think most Vita owners have is when a port is made and it doesn't strive to uphold the same standards as the console version when other high profile games have proven it can be done.

Rootbeer

Banned
You can do the comparisons for yourself:

3DS

Vita

360 video pt 1 and pt 2

Wii (looks better than the Vita version, how insulting :p)

So far I can't find any PS3 gameplay that starts at the beginning of the game. Anyone care about the DS version? Didn't think so.

Personally I find the differences to be significant and this is before the open world is even available (for versions that have it)

Disclosure: I have the Vita version ordered and arriving on Tues. I'm disappointed but going to give it a shot

Wow the handheld version is severely cut back. Oh well may still pick up the PS3 version one day. The point I was making earlier was if the Vita version was on par with the consoles than I would buy it much more immediately if not on launch day.

Rootbeer

Banned
LEGO games drop in price faster than most. You can probably get the Vita version for under $20 before the year is through.

I want to support LEGO games on the Vita even if they are cut-back. While I think they could try harder, they could easily not make a Vita version at all.

I am also getting the PC version :)

Only game thus far my whole family is stoked for. Even my wife who primarily plays the sims is ready for this one.

DAT local 2 player co-op

Lumine

captainlegocold.jpg

Don't ask me why, but I thought someone might like this as a new avatar. :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
based on past experience, is there any major difference between PS3 and 360? This is the first multiplatform game I've bought where I've had both consoles available to choose from, and both with two controllers for coop

bought pirates of the carribean on PS3 and that looked great - is this using the same new lego engine, or something else due to it being open world?

Rootbeer

Banned
I think differences between 360 and PS3 should be minimal. Since I only own a PS3 I'd go with that. If I had both, 360 sometimes has an edge on western games for a variety of reasons. Your call.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Looks awesome, but how does local co-op work in an open world game like this?

Toy Story did it really well - you could each pretty much go wherever you wanted. I think if you went to a completely different level it'd take you both there, but it gave you a lot of freedom

Rootbeer

Banned
Do it. How can you watch that gameplay vid of Superman riding the gorilla and NOT immediately want to buy this game? You'd have to be some kind of monster

There is still time to pre-order from amazon and get the exclusive character pack and $10 game credit. about 9 more hours

S1kkZ

Do it. How can you watch that gameplay vid of Superman riding the gorilla and NOT immediately want to buy this game? You'd have to be some kind of monster

yep, that video sold me on the game. still worried about the framerate, was pretty terrible in that video.

Guzim

I pre-ordered this on Amazon a few months ago when they had it for $39.99. I am a huge Batman fan, and I loved the first one. It'll be awesome and fun to play as other heroes in this.

Rootbeer

Banned
I pre-ordered this on Amazon a few months ago when they had it for $39.99. I am a huge Batman fan, and I loved the first one. It'll be awesome and fun to play as other heroes in this.

Yeah that was a real bargain. I think you still get the $10 game credit on top of that -- as do I :)

Pre-order early and often, folks!

Top Bottom