• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO City Undercover |OT| This city has no ports

CoolS

jbvjc0ufrx5z8cptjw8.png

4s59mikccjnk.png

In LEGO City Undercover, Chase McCain is trying to arrest the dangerous Rex Fury who is responsible for the recent crime wave in LEGO City. To do this he goes undercover, exploring the sprawling open-world LEGO City and donning a range of different costumes for special abilities; for example, dressed up as a miner he can utilise dynamite, while becoming a robber lets him pry open doors. The unique properties of the Wii U GamePad controller come into play throughout the hunt for Rex Fury. The GamePad functions as a Communicator to talk to others, is used to scan the surroundings for clues or criminals, or to view the handy map and GPS route when driving around the city.

app0ogsv7k3o.png

Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: TT Fusion
Platform: Wii U
Genre: Open world action-adventure game
Players: 1
eShop: Yes
Demo: N/A​

yopglis9jjiw.png

9cm47s9dwjpo.png

• March 18, 2013 (North America)
  • March 28, 2013 (Europe & Australia)
  • Q4(?) 2013 (Japan)
packshotcfzm0.jpg
lepackshot18joj.jpg
LEGO City Undercover launches across Europe on 28th March exclusively for Wii U in a limited-edition software bundle with a Chase McCain minifigure.

p5fzxtzbmkg1.png

• Experience LEGO City like never before. Players will encounter familiar play sets come to life as they explore the vast city, looking for clues to bring Rex Fury to justice.
  • Players can go undercover with a variety of disguises, including a firefighter, a construction worker, and even a robber, and use their unique abilities to solve puzzles and access new areas of the city.
  • The Wii U GamePad controller is woven seamlessly into the game-play experience. Players use it to scan for hidden clues and criminals, receive mission updates, and place waypoints on an overhead city map that displays their position in real time.
  • There are more than 100 vehicles for players to collect and use to explore the city, including sports cars, motorcycles, and even aircraft.
  • LEGO City: Undercover delivers humor, parody, and more with fully voiced characters and ambient crowds, bringing LEGO City to life.
  • Unlock cool vehicles and secret missions with an exclusive game code from the LEGO City set, High Speed Chase

8ekna0gt6k4d.png

Trailers

Webisodes

Gameplay

Commercials

Screenshots

a6zhqxbatu2s.png

Click for bigger map

5k3jteqgrj3m.png

Will this be released on any other platform?
No. This game will with 100% certainty not be released on any non-Nintendo console due to their heavy involvement in the title. See this post from Aquamarine.
So please don't ask about ports in here since it tended to derail previous LEGO City Undercover threads.
There will be a 3DS open-world prequel called LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins this year though.​

What about resolution? 60fps?
As far as we know (and according to impressions from EatChidren) this game will run in 720p and will aim for steady 30fps.​

There is no coop? LEGO games are all about multiplayer!
Unfortunately no. TT Fusion tried implementing a coop mode, but as you can read here, they decided against it since it didn't feel right.​

The map looks so small for an open-world game!
According to the developer, the map might indeed be smaller than some other open-world games. However, they tried to pack much more gameplay into every corner which should make up for it. And as an example, driving a loop around just the city supposedly takes you around 10 minutes.​

Any word about Miiverse integration?
Miiverse is integrated into the game. There is a camera in-game which allows you to take pictures. As long as you are online and logged in, you will be able to post your pictures onto Miiverse from within the game. So no need to start up Miiverse seperately.​

Game codes:
  • Civilian Werewolf: gystqp
  • Race car driver: mhhrhm
  • Gorilla suit guy: xkgzvj
  • Natalia Kowalski: hvgtpg
  • Samurai Warriori: rjyzhc
  • Baseball Player: ycmwkp
  • Vehicle: Relocator: vzhhdm
  • Vehicle: Drakonas: dwjvct
  • Bonus Missions: 3D74QF9
  • Justice and red sport car: 3GCC7XR
  • Unlocks High Speed Chase Missions/Vehicles: N7NN4F9
  • Soccer Player: syfmwj
  • Pop Star: cncnrh
  • Ninja: fhszyg
Sounds cool but I’m still not completely sold.
That's okay. Maybe this will change your mind:​
3nvxgbvi4jyc.png

khjotbb24uwf.png

ooiqhlg0ejvb.png

Game Informer: 8.5/10

"TT Fusion has absolutely nailed the best parts of sandbox games..."
"I love how easy it is to get around town, too; you scroll around the GamePad minimap
and tap your destination, which is then plotted on the TV via a line of ghostly Lego studs."
"This is one of the funnest games I've played in a while, and it provides anarchic thrills thatshould keep kids busy for a long time."

- Jeff Cork of GameInformer

•Moderately high replay value
•Platforming is still a weak spot, but TT did a good job with the gamepad
•A 70's cop show soundtrack is great for the first few hours, but your ears will go numb beyond that
•Great to see Lego characters in a realistic world, but there is some minor screen tearing
•An original story based in the Lego universe.

Got the new issue of Official Nintendo Magazine today - they give it 90%.

"TT Games has managed to capture the very essence of what a LEGO Videogame should be."

Since the game doesn't offer a manual save per se, here's a guide to save your progres anyway:
massoluk said:
Disguise booth can save the game, you can unlock it after chapter 1
AndrewDean84xX said:
- Beat Chapter 1
- Go back to the Police Station
- Go to the basement
- Talk to lady behind the requasitions counter
- Go down the stairs to the gym area
- Break Police box
- Build Booth
- Booth boxes are now unlocked across Lego City

A big thank you to Katana_Strikes for all the awesome banners!

That map really does look small. Kind of kills the excitement. I don't know how much gameplay they "packed into every corner" but I still like a big map.

CoolS

That map really does look small. Kind of kills the excitement. I don't know how much gameplay they "packed into every corner" but I still like a big map.

Yeah, the reviews so far seem to agree that there isn't really that much to do besides exploring.

Nice OP. I hope this game doesn't get torn to shreds in reviews. If not, I will probably get it.
Thanks.

My guess is that the rather long loading times, car controls and not enough side missions will be the main negatives in every review and it will be somewhere between 7-8 in the end.

Neifirst

If this had come out in January or February, I probably would have picked it up at launch. But with Monster Hunter and Need for Speed U coming out the same day, I think I'll hold off for a sale or rental.

DiscoJer

•A 70's cop show soundtrack is great for the first few hours, but your ears will go numb beyond that

Not my ears.

I'm actually curious about what they mean though - did they get something like the Ventures to do it? Like say, SWAT or Starsky & Hutch? Or more like Mike Post?

Xater

The Gamesweasel review makes it sound like it's once again not really an open world game. Most of the missions seem to be separate from that world.

cacildo

Looks good, even if i never liked a single LEGO game. This looks like the best of em.

But no gamepad co-op is one hell of a missed opportunity...

I don't really care about the map size, in fact i'd rather them make a great game filled with enough fun content in a smaller environment than some bloated boring huge map...

Great OP!
From the reviews so far it seems like it will be a tad below my expectations, but I'll still pick it up. That lack of dual screen co-op is a bit of a bummer though, huh? Maybe for the sequel.

I'd love for this to be good. I don't really care about long load times if I'm enjoying a game, so that's not a big deal if the content is there to overcome it. I've long felt like this game had a real chance of being awful, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if it were a flop. :(

massoluk

Banned
First time I've seen that map, holy crap, is it small. Did they just copy all Lego City model kits in there and leave it at that or something?

I wonder if the map is really all that small or whether there are actually quite a few small roads crisscrossing around. There's got to be stuff in that middle section of the island, they can't just show us a blank map in there.

hwy_61

Banned
Great job on the OT, duder! I pretty much echo the sentiment here, worst case scenario, I'll pick it up two weeks later when it's $40.

Top Bottom