• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego City Undercover Switch cover mentions 13GB download [Up3: Full game on card]

RootCause

As discussed plenty of times in other thread, the likes of Rime cost $10 more due to the cart prices. A $2-$4 increase in price for publisher means they need to increase price by $8-$10 to compensate for that increased charge.

I imagine we could either have

1) Game on cart costs $10 more than other versions, people pissed.
2) Part of game on cart, digital download required for rest, price parity, people pissed.
I'd rather get switch taxed, instead of buying half the game. :p

Why does it need this download? A Switch cart was 32GB minimum which is way more than a Wii U disk at 25GB.

Pretty sure it's 32gb maximum for now

They are likely using a smaller cart (probably 8-16gbs) and using the rest as a download to save on having to use more expensive, larger cart

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Any mentions of frame-rate for the Switch version? Is it too much to ask for a stable, locked 30fps? Is 60fps possible for the Switch version Tech NeoGAF?

Also, I really don't see *THAT* much of a big deal with how they're handling the game data. I'd rather have the same price/parity with PS4/Xbox One versions. Besides, all us Switch
owners have a nice 100+gig memory card, right?

//ARCANUM

What a terrible idea / business move. I can imagine so many situations where a parent buys this for their kid who immediately pops the cart in and... can't play.

It's one thing for systems like PS4 / Xbox One / PC which have sometimes 80gb games. I get that. But Switch games? Come on guys. Don't do dis. Not like dis.

itschris

Why does it need this download? A Switch cart was 32GB minimum which is way more than a Wii U disk at 25GB.

Eurogamer says that the minimum is 1GB:

We've also heard that the cost of the cart depends on the size of the cart. Switch game card carts come in a variety of capacities: 1GB, 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, 16GB and 32GB. At a high level, the bigger the cart the more expensive it is, although the price may vary according to print run (lower the volume, higher the price, for example - an issue that may affect indie developers who don't expect to shift a huge number of copies of their game).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-03-10-why-nintendo-switch-games-are-ending-up-more-expensive

Welp... looks like I made the right call going for a 128gb microSD despite buying my games physically whenever possible...

Edit: Think of it like this, would you rather pay $10 extra for most multiplatform games, or invest in expanded storage?

Feel bad for anyone on a capped data allowance or slow connection speed.

That's not really a problem. The problem is the tiny storage the Switch has. Most people buy 256 GB for extra storage but that can be filled very quickly if more games (especially 3rd party) require additional data like this.

Tripy73

Ok I boycott all games with this fucking system. Dragon Quest Heroes 1 and 2 on one card, Lego City needs to download 13gb for playing is a fucking joke.

Robin64

So they skimped out and purchased 8GB cards from Nintendo, then want to take up my frankly precious storage space defeating one reason I am buying retail, and people who don't have their Switch online can't play at all? Not cool.

Bruno MB

This is totally unacceptable, I hope that Waner Bros can't get away with it.

For reference Dragon Quest Heroes I & II uses a 32GB cartridge.

I was thinking about picking this game up since it's £36 which is a good price for switch games so far but I don't want to support this kind of download approach, you can moan at me all you want but this is upsetting.

Rather than do this why can't they just make the digital version cheaper than the physical version to encourage digital sales?

OH WAIT can't be pissing off retailers now can we? Let's piss the customers off instead!

ckaneo

Publishers need to just make the physical copy of the game more expensive and tell us the cost of the carts. We will understand as consumers.

jonno394

It's kind of funny/maddening that they've cheaped out on the version of the game that looks like it will sell the most out of these ports.

Persona7

Banned
Was there a patent on something like this? It's been discussed in the past but I can't find the thread.

Also, can you download game updates and patches workout an attached Nintendo account?

flkraven

So half of the Switch's native capacity required to play a physical release of a game released in the first month of launch, of a game that is a remake from last gen. Yikes.

Wow. I'd understand having low quality textures and such on the cartridge and offering higher quality as a download, but not being able to play the game at all? That's real bad.

100% fuck this disgusting anti-consumer move. Feel sorry for the poor kids that don't notice that wording at the bottom of the box.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Shit, that's brilliant haha

Not when this was considered a con for PS and Xbox this gen and vs the Switch. For example:

So is it them cheaping out on cart sizes or is there another reason why they went with this approach?

Fucking blows though, buying physical and still losing over half the on-board storage.
That's not really a problem. The problem is the tiny storage the Switch has. Most people buy 256 GB for extra storage but that can be filled very quickly if more games (especially 3rd party) require additional data like this.

This too.

stalker

This is a lost purchase from me 100% sure. I already own the game on Wii U but I would double dip because I love physical releases.

Kilau

Should just be an empty case with a redemption code, game card is pretty pointless. Unless you want to resell, and if/when the severs go away, it's really worthless.

_woLf

This is a really gross precedent.

I was super interested in this and now I'm avoiding altogether. Lost a customer, WB.

The physical version is practically worthless. The only thing it does is save you 7gb of space and who cares about that i mean if you've got space for the rest of the download you probably have an sd card!

People need to start going after Warner Bros like they did (/still do) EA. They go hard on almost every shitty publisher practice in the book. Bad ports, wild micro transactions (selling fatalities), retailer specific DLC, Overpriced season passes filled with shit, probably a dozen other things.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I wonder if the Switch version wasnt done but they already had to produce the cards to hit on that date....and just went with the download the final game data on release date. Seems weird....because no one else is doing this.

Lol fucking terrible.

It's apparently 720p when docked too.

Okay thats not really surprising - its a fast port doubt they are trying to push the system with it.

Unison

This is nonsense...

a) It should let you opt for lower-res movies.
b) It's particularly shitty to pull this on a kids' game.

jonno394

The physical version is practically worthless. The only thing it does is save you 7gb of space and who cares about that i mean if you've got space for the rest of the download you probably have an sd card!

nah. Physical still wort it to me as I can sell it on when I get bored of it. This is a minor annoyance if anything for me, but totally understand why some will view it as a dealbreaker.

Top Bottom