• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO Dimensions |OT| Not Lost Dimensions

mreddie

LD%2B2016%2BBanner.jpg

r4s1m0vqtsnqgsazmwr7.gif

Lego Dimensions is a Lego action-adventure video game developed by Traveller's Tales and published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment.Released on September 27,2015. It follows the "toys-to-life" format, in that the player has Lego figures and a portal which can be played within the game itself.

Available on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Wii U, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.

Story
On the planet Vorton in the center of the Lego Multiverse, Lord Vortech (Gary Oldman) seeks the Foundational Elements, the cornerstones of time and space itself scattered across the dimensions long ago, which have the power to control the multiverse. To do this, he opens vortices in many different worlds, recruiting local villains to aid in his search for the Elements while imprisoning heroes pulled through the vortexes and damaging the boundaries between worlds, causing them to merge and characters to be displaced. When Robin, Frodo and Metalbeard are each pulled into the vortices, Batman, Gandalf and Wyldstyle all jump in after them. The three get pulled into the same vortex and appear on Vorton, where they decide to ally with one another and build a vortex generator of their own. Aided by Vortech's former minion X-Po (Joel McHale), the three use the generator to travel the multiverse, hoping to find their missing friends and stop Vortech's plan from succeeding.

How does it play?

Plays like the previous LEGO games but this time, you can mix and match characters from multiple franchises. Want a team with Batman, Homer Simpson, Doctor Who? BOOM. Spaceguy with Chell from Portal? YEP. Marty McFly and Peter Venkman from Ghostbusters? HELL YES.

There is 2-player local co-op that is fully drop-in and out. So someone can join you and leave at any time without affecting your game. If a friend comes over and brings their toys, they can play with whomever they bring over without restriction.

Wait, these are actual LEGOs?

Yep, they are fully detachable from their bases. You have to get to build them in the real world, just as you would putting together a LEGO set.

In fact, you can play the game with just the blue toy tag bases if you want. But obviously it’s more fun to actually attach each figure to the base and move them around. You can mess around with the figures build, like adding Gandalf's beard to Wyldstyle or adding Batman's head to Wyldstyle's body. This applies to the vehicles too.

Also, unlike any of the previous Toys-To-Life styles of games, the portal (or toy pad in this game) plays a crucial role in the game because in order to complete various puzzles, advance through each level and accomplish other tasks, you'll need to move your figure to different parts of the portal.

Wait, multiple franchises?

Yep, that's the hook with this LEGO, no franchise is stuck to just one game.

21749450542_cb61587bd3_o.jpg

All those, yeah, they're in there.

What comes in the starter pack?

The starter pack is $99.99/£79.99 and it contains

LEGO Dimensions videogame
LEGO Toy Pad
Bricks to build the LEGO Gateway
3 LEGO minifigures (Batman, Gandalf, and Wyldstyle)
LEGO Batmobile vehicle

Screen-Shot-2015-04-09-at-11.18.57-AM-1280x913-600x427.png

But wait there's more!

maxresdefault.jpg

Level Packs

Level packs contain a character with a vehicle/gadget and a new level to play in. Priced at $29.99/£26.99

Team Packs

Team packs are similar to Fun packs except they contain more characters, more vehicles/gadgets and come with unique abilities. Priced at $24.99/£26.99

Fun Packs

Fun packs each contain a character from a certain franchise and a gadget or vehicle to play with. Fun packs are $14.99/£14.59

Wave 1: September 27, 2015
Wave 2: November 3, 2015
Wave 3: January 19, 2016
Wave 4: March 15, 2016
Wave 5: May 10, 2016

LEGO-Dimensions-Waves.jpg

Any other questions?

Time to break the rules.

sixcxhqav7vq5tfmmtjc.gif

d0988eec691e8b012f7e9be491a13b016c47f043.gif

For more LEGO bricksanity, there's a OT for LEGO fans -> http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=911981

UPDATE: YEAR 2

lvyw3poo0ody7fdlscv4.gif

Wave 6 : September 27th 2016
latest

Wave 7: November 18th, 2016
latest

Storm360

Argh, want this game badly but they attached trophies to the level sets and my OCD side would make me get them all

If only it had a PC release

Hero

I want this but even with GCU it's a little too expensive. Will wait for a steeper sale or B2G1.

bumpkin

I'm so very tempted to pick this up... Loved LEGO as a kid, like a lot of the franchises they're including, enjoyed most every LEGO game I've played. But dammit, I already have a gajillion toys-to-life games and accessories. I can't do more! AHHH!

My base back and BTTF level pack won't arrive until tomorrow (used Amazon gift cards to buy those) but I picked up the Wicked Witch fun pack and the Portal Level pack at the mall. So excited to get the base game tomorrow.

Pac3y

Got this and the Simpsons pack on pre-order. I can see this becoming quite an expensive investment, just hope they add more content to the level packs over time.

I went into Gamestop this morning with no idea this was out let alone any purchasing intent. But then I saw a Jurassic World thingy and the card was swiped.

mreddie

How are stock levels for these things?

Prologue
Wizard of Oz
The Simpsons
Ninjago
Doctor Who
DC Comics
Back to the Future
Portal
The Lord of the Rings
Ghostbusters
Midway Arcade
Scooby-Doo
And 3 original levels

So 14 in the stock package. And it alone is a lengthy 13-14 hours.

Zexx

Neo Member
I was wondering how long it'd take for Lego to cash in on this amiibo/infinity/skylanders craze. With the crazy amount of IPs they have, (strong ones too) it's not hard to see why this was such a good idea.

Even with all that brand power. I'd have to say they're entering the game a little late.

Thursday it is for me :( Damn!

edit:

How is the portal connected to the system? Is it wifi? Is it cable? How long is the cable?

Those unique footprints sold me on the game I think, might go grab it and the Portal/Scooby Doo extras for now. *sigh*

Need to play as a wonderful Great Dane

If you double the 14 and add the 7 you are still not at my age.

Eeep. Me too.

As someone who enjoys the occasional LEGO game and who has only bought four LEGO sets in the last five years, you might think I would be immune to this game. Until you hear that three of those LEGO sets were the Delorian, Ecto 1, and a Jurrassic World set. Then you know I'm screwed.

But I have no regrets. LEGO Chell and the Wicked Witch were cheaper than what I spent just to get the Hulk big fig.

jonno394

Just a question, team packs and fun packs just add more characters and vehicles to your repertoire right? Or do they also grant access to open world versions of their properties dimensions?

Just a question, team packs and fun packs just add more characters and vehicles to your repertoire right? Or do they also grant access to open world versions of their properties dimensions?

Grant you open world versions of them. They are also needed to destroy certain things, like silver or gold blocks.

A friend of mine at TRU says everyone was stocked pretty much evenly, except for Emmett who had like 3 rows (compared to the one for everything else)

Has anyone noticed if there's sets that are selling more or less than others? I'm gonna pick up the Who and Portal sets...eventually...when I have some money from the amiibo fallout of this week but I'm afraid something is gonna sell out and then I can never find it again.

jonno394

Grant you open world versions of them. They are also needed to destroy certain things, like silver or gold blocks.

Ah, interesting, so really, to see everything you will need one character per franchise. Interested to see what teh Wizard of Oz open world is like, especially as so far there is only one character available, so doesn't make sense they'd go all out for it.

Ah, interesting, so really, to see everything you will need one character per franchise. Interested to see what teh Wizard of Oz open world is like, especially as so far there is only one character available, so doesn't make sense they'd go all out for it.

There's a decent look at it here. Newer videos might show it better, but I don't know how many people are going to buy the Wicked Witch. I know I did, but then I love Oz.

https://youtu.be/g_Qq0A6MGbs?t=682

Just came back from EB/Walmart. There is a ton of this stuff on the shelf and I'm not sure anyone is really paying attention to it. I wonder if they will give it a bigger marketing push around the start of the 2nd Week for Christmas.

I had a $100 EB giftcard and a PS4 controller to trade in so I grabbed the Starter pack and the BTTF Level Pack.

Eeep. Me too.

As someone who enjoys the occasional LEGO game and who has only bought four LEGO sets in the last five years, you might think I would be immune to this game. Until you hear that three of those LEGO sets were the Delorian, Ecto 1, and a Jurrassic World set. Then you know I'm screwed.

But I have no regrets. LEGO Chell and the Wicked Witch were cheaper than what I spent just to get the Hulk big fig.

I haven't bought a Lego kit since I was around 12. I'm due.

As for the games, I have enjoyed the occasionally one and loved the fuck out of Lego City Undercover. Was one of my games of the year.

N° 2048

Just came back from EB/Walmart. There is a ton of this stuff on the shelf and I'm not sure anyone is really paying attention to it. I wonder if they will give it a bigger marketing push around the start of the 2nd Week for Christmas.

I had a $100 EB giftcard and a PS4 controller to trade in so I grabbed the Starter pack and the BTTF Level Pack.

I haven't bought a Lego kit since I was around 12. I'm due.

As for the games, I have enjoyed the occasionally one and loved the fuck out of Lego City Undercover. Was one of my games of the year.

Me too, brother. Me too.
Can you post your impressions when you get a chance to play? Interested to hear what you have to say about it :)

Top Bottom