• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

What if it's missing parts? Should I buy it and immediately open it in store and check contents for a full set?

Only way to check contents for full set is to open all the bags. If it is missing anything, you could just ask LEGO for the parts. A gash that big on that box probably isn't missing anything.

R-User!

Only way to check contents for full set is to open all the bags. If it is missing anything, you could just ask LEGO for the parts. A gash that big on that box probably isn't missing anything.

Wait, why open all bags? Shouldn't I just open the box, check that all 9 bags are in the box and that they haven't been opened, and make sure nothing's damaged or obviously missing; like the instructions or stickers?

P.S. Amazon has the Police Station for 20% off at $79.99, and if you Target price match that would bring it down to $76.00 before tax!!

P.S.S I've used the price match to get 9500 Sith Fury-class Interceptor for 28% off of 89.99, Ghost Train for 28% off of 79.99, and Cragger's Command Ship for 28-9% off 79.99 too! All done with ease at Guest Services; I just carry up the set directly passed the lines and go straight to returns; there is usually no lines in the morning too, so it's a time saver too. :)

PSSS: Who here has a Target card; if you many of you do, than many of you can take advantage of much savings on LEGO! Also, if you don't want to open a credit card, you can get a Target Debit Card, and still qualify for the 5% off "reward"!! I think it's a no brainer option in my opinion.

ghostmind

Building LEGO with my son gave me the final "push" to get me back into LEGO again.

For years I had been flirting with the idea. For some reason I was on LEGO's mailing list, and had been recieving their catalogs in the mail since 2007. I remember going over the entries for sets like the UCS Falcon, Cafe Corner, and the Carousel again and again, daydreaming about getting them. And I remember going to toy stores and checking out all the variety of sets, and how it had changed since I was a kid. But then, thinking that I was too old to start spending hundreds of dollars on LEGO, I walked away.

In 2009, I bought my son his first LEGO sets - they were simple kits of course, a variety bucket, and a couple small construction vehicle sets (which I actually built while he "coached"). Nothing in those sets had grabbed my interest - yet.

In early 2011, my son was given a present from one of his friends - the "Ice Dragon" from something called "Ninjago". I really liked the eastern-influence on the design, and watched as he built a set by himself for the first time. Soon we were at the local TRU, checking out the whole line (this was the first wave of Ninjago sets back then), and we picked up a few more (Spinjitzu Dojo and some smaller kits). He would build some of them, and I would build others. This grew until we had all the main Ninjago sets that were available at the time. My son continued playing with his sets, but the fire had been lit in me - I wanted more and bigger challenges.

Then I found out we had a LEGO store close by...

Wait, why open all bags? Shouldn't I just open the box, check that all 9 bags are in the box and that they haven't been opened, and make sure nothing's damaged or obviously missing; like the instructions or stickers?

DERP. That makes sense if you know how many bags there should be. Double dumb ass on me.

Realy take a good look at the bags though. Retailers have their own shrink wrap and resealers. They can easily seal opened bags. I'm so jaded from working retail back in high school.

R-User!

DERP. That makes sense if you know how many bags there should be. Double dumb ass on me.

No dumb ass on you. You were thinking in great LEGO detail tradition, i.e. you won't know if a piece is missing until you build the set entirely and along the way you don't encounter a single missing piece.

What actually got you guys back into Lego? assuming you stopped at some point during childhood.

Up until January 2012, I had been traditionally buying one or two sets a year. Typically at Christmas. Usually a mid sized LEGO Star Wars ship.

Then I discovered the original LEGO thread, and my LEGO love was reborn through a mix of nostalgia (Blacktron, Space Police I, Castle) and new sets (LEGO Super Heroes and Alien Conquest). This resulted in my buying the entire Alien Conquest line, seX-wing, Y-wing, TIE Fighter, modular Fire House and more. I really spent way too much on LEGO last year and I've been trying to curb the spending in 2013. But damn it, it's tough.

LEGO GAF, you cursed me with a blessing and blessed me with a curse.

R-User!

2nd Police Station... Bought!

Everything was in the box: 9 bags, 2 loose black stick-poles, sealed instructions against cardboard, and one unstickered beautiful city street baseplate! :) I feel good!

Smorrow

Banned
Just got a twitter message from Pimp My Bricks about this and figured I'd share it over here. I'm a sucker for Technic stuff, especially cars. ;)

Video of the car

$T2eC16hHJFoE9nh6qTPpBQ85)cTvlQ~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqV,!isFC8TOd7BSBQ9Wcc1HSw~~60_12.JPG

$T2eC16FHJF0E9nmFQW7mBQ85w51BNg~~60_12.JPG

$T2eC16VHJF8E9nnC7ON5BQ85w0gf9g~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqFHJFYFDQul4(OGBQ85w+ZgZ!~~60_12.JPG

$T2eC16dHJGYE9noojiULBQ85)Lt,3g~~60_12.JPG

Smorrow

Banned
Anyone want to take any guesses on how much it ends up selling for? This designer did a Charity auction last year that raised over $1,600 for this car.

I think this one may do slightly more.

Is anyone a savvy BrickLink user? I would like to check how much it is to part out the 10030 Imperial Star Destroyer. I created a wanted list with all of the parts, and even found a store with 147 of the 206 items I need. I dont know how I can get bricklink to add the exact quantity from my list to the cart. Am I doing it wrong?

ghostmind

A question for you LEGO-GAF:

I have the opportunity to get all 6 of the upcoming Star Wars planet sets now, rather than waiting what is rumored to be at least a couple months (maybe longer for Wave 4). However, it will cost me $140 to get all of them.

Would you do it?

I have the opportunity to get all 6 of the upcoming Star Wars planet sets now, rather than waiting what is rumored to be at least a couple months (maybe longer for Wave 4). However, it will cost me $140 to get all of them.

Would you do it?

No, I'd pass. $140 for six planets, that's $23 per set. You'd be paying more than double just to have them early.

Would you do it?

Wait, that is a hefty markup

neonglow

Would you do it?

Unless you really want them, I would pass. It's not like they're hard to get when released.

Naka

Would you do it?

I would pass. I usually wait to get them on sale anyway. I think last time I got mine at TRU during buy 2 get 1 free or something like that. 23 per set is way too much.

Is anyone a savvy BrickLink user? I would like to check how much it is to part out the 10030 Imperial Star Destroyer. I created a wanted list with all of the parts, and even found a store with 147 of the 206 items I need. I dont know how I can get bricklink to add the exact quantity from my list to the cart. Am I doing it wrong?

In any shop you are browsing you can "Show All Items this store has on my Wanted List (All Items)"
click the All Items link
9apP92Sl.png

then you have a long list of items and in the middle on top of the list there is the option to "Auto-Fill Cart Min"

that will then set the numbers in all the text boxes next to the items.
now you just need to confirm it by adding the selected Items to your shopping cart at the end of the list.

hope that is what you meant :)

ghostmind

No, I'd pass. $140 for six planets, that's $23 per set. You'd paying more than double just to have them early.

And that is what gives me pause. If it were a larger set that I really wanted asap, then maybe I would pull the trigger, but paying double for these is asking a bit too much I think.

SpeedNut

And that is what gives me pause. If it were a larger set that I really wanted asap, then maybe I would pull the trigger, but paying double for these is asking a bit too much I think.

yeah that's way too much for something that'll be pretty common in a few months.

In any shop you are browsing you can "Show All Items this store has on my Wanted List (All Items)"
click the All Items link
9apP92Sl.png

then you have a long list of items and in the middle on top of the list there is the option to "Auto-Fill Cart Min"

that will then set the numbers in all the text boxes next to the items.
now you just need to confirm it by adding the selected Items to your shopping cart at the end of the list.

hope that is what you meant :)

Thanks FliX. I was hoping there was an auto-fill option that automatically took the quantity from my wanted list and put it in the box for me that way I don't have to have a printed list in front of me.

I did that in like 2008 before the dark knight came out, it was actually the first thing I made coming out of my dark ages

Congratulations on being highlighted and mentioned on the BrickShow. Hopefully this will help get more momentum to get the 10,000 votes. Brickshow

If anyone hasn't supported it yet, check it out. Batmobile Tumbler Minifig Scale

What actually got you guys back into Lego? assuming you stopped at some point during childhood.

It was the Star Wars Lego games that kind of raised my awareness. Then the Indiana Jones Lego came out which I swooned over and bought all of the first wave in one hit from eBay. I then discovered the Lego Digital Designer program which is where I designed the tumbler. Then discovered the modular sets, bought the green grocer and then it was all down hill from there...

I was always checking out the LEGO aisles and buying some sets for my kids. It was the Superhero license last year that finally made me buy sets for myself. First one was the Superman & Wonder Woman set. Those $20 super hero sets are great value with good minifigs.

I mentioned it a few weeks ago, but it started with my kids. A LEGO store opened near me so I took my five year old to see it. That was the first time I saw the Death Star, and I thought "Oh man. I don't care if that's as much as $125 I will buy it and apologize later!".

"Excuse me-how much is this Death Star?"

Ha.

Having never purchased a set for myself before that visit, I was pretty surprised to discover the price point. I bought my daughter a couple of minifigs (Native American Chief guy and Pilot)...thought they were very lame (I wanted the B Boy) and didn't think about it again for a few months.

This was right around the introduction of the Friends theme and I discovered one of them shared a name with my daughter. Decided she'd get a kick out of it and I was amazed at how well the new elements worked. That night after the family went to bed I unpacked a few boxes that hadn't been touched in at least 25 years and thought "Well, I bet I can find instructions for some of this stuff online if I look". Fast forward to 3am on a work night and I had re-built much of my old Space LEGO.

That's when I made the biggest mistake of my life.

I came into this thread to look around.

R-User!

Would you do it?

23 bucks each!!! What's the rush?

lingiii

Banned
BrinkLink'd Imperial Shuttle arrived yesterday.

That set... does not number its bags. Oh man I haven't had an unnumbered bag set since my LEGO Renaissance last year. At first I thought "what a gyp!" then I realized I had become a spoilt mofo. Pumped for the big project this weekend.

Was cleaning out some stuff at my parent's place, and look what I found!

bxskI35.jpg

And actually not messed up, amazingly.

When I inherited my uncles legos as a kid he had the entire space collection from the 80s. I remember seeing it set up once in his room and being amazed. By the time I got the legos everything was deconstructed and mixed in a single big container, with none of the instructions or boxes. It was like the best thing ever for me, but a shame that all of those sets got split up and pieces lost and such.

Top Bottom