• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Eh i just got done with this little guy here and it was a decent, quick build actually... i like seasonal stuff like this so, even though it's a bit early: Happy Easter LegoGAF!! ;)

FpAJCaX.jpg

Anyone in the U.S. looking for Simpsons minifigs should try Wal-Mart first thing tomorrow. Apparently Wal-Mart wasted a spot in the weekly ad advertising the movie CMFs(which are mostly sold out by now) so as a consolation they got Lego to ship most stores a box and let them sell them early this week. On top of that they're going to be discounted to $3 to match the advertised Lego Movie CMFs. Supposedly stores were only allotted a single box so I imagine they'll sell out pretty fast.

Credit goes to r/lego for the heads up.

JZ48eAi.jpg

Do they sell CMFs at places other than Wal-Mart in the U.S.?

wetwired

I think I'm done, next step is doing some nice photos of him to put on CUUSOO and come up with a video idea.

StayPuftMarshmallowMan01.jpg

Unphotoshopped and size ref...

StayPuftMarshmallowMan02.jpg

I've made a few changes since the last post, a smaller hat, not as bulky and it sits tighter to the head, added the red ribbon on the head, adjusted the neck tie slightly, added ratcheted joints to the legs/hips and feet to improve stability and obviously added the face, via waterslide decals

I think I'm done, next step is doing some nice photos of him to put on CUUSOO and come up with a video idea.

I've made a few changes since the last post, a smaller hat, not as bulky and it sits tighter to the head, added the red ribbon on the head, adjusted the neck tie slightly, added ratcheted joints to the legs/hips and feet to improve stability and obviously added the face, via waterslide decals
Lovely. So awesome.

Man, that is absolutely brilliant work. Way to go, WetWired!

Chinese Knock Off Mini Figs

40 minifigs for $52. It took 2 weeks from order to delivery.

12x Iron Man
6x Misc
8x Superman
6x TMNT
8x Green Lantern

-A little lighter than Lego, but not really that noticeable. Most would never be able to tell the difference.
-All of the transparent pieces varied a great deal. Many were kind of cloudy, most were Lego quality.
-Some were partially assembled, others had to have every single part assembled from the arms to each individual leg.
-Printing was genuinely spot on. A couple of faces were a little blurred on the Tony Starks, but each one of those had multiple faces, so it was no big deal. Overall I was impressed. You can see the one Yellow Lantern below that had it's legs painted on. That was the worst thing in the bunch. Nothing else comes close to that.
-I was supposed to get an Iron Patriot, but instead received 2 "Heartbreaker" Iron Men. I'm OK with that because I already have the retail version.
-The Silver Iron Men are pretty fucking sweet.
-Bizarro is amazing.
-It took me 1.5hrs to assemble all of these.
-I love the lightsaber wielding Dr. Doom and Martian Man-Hunter. Everyone having a gun is pretty funny too.
-Some of the turtles had flashing on their faces. I could remove it smoothly with a thumbnail.
-I love the matching TMNT skateboards. Even Shredder and Splinter got them. All of these have stickers included (not applied in pics) as well as a pizza for every fig that also requires a sticker.
-I will absolutely be buying more of these. Quality and accuracy to actual Lego are surprisingly close, if not perfect.
-At first I was determined to keep these knock off sequestered from my Lego minifigs, but after assembling them and looking them over, I will go ahead and mix them in with my regular minifigs. There's virtually no difference at all. Many are identical in quality.

6GFBSXM.jpg

Zqt62BC.jpg

orQABVQ.jpg

ZpW3LyS.jpg

Rdes7sj.jpg

FZ3fc9k.jpg

ygZMen4.jpg

Z7HH0U6.jpg

yMWpzex.jpg

9yqRHWX.jpg

6WMHZ5m.jpg

xAuJrM7.jpg

j1Y0NQ4.jpg

Someone returned a first-wave Turtles set the other day, Shredder's Bike, so I snagged that faster than anyone could blink since I hate the new designs and Donnie's always been my fave.

Gotta say, while it was fun to build (the bike at least, Donnie's skateboard was kinda wtf) and it looks metal as hell on display, I can't for the life of me figure out how anyone is supposed to play with the damn thing. Where do you hold it? It's all covered with spiked and pipes and seems fragile as hell.

ruxtpin

Banned
Stopped by the local Wal-Mart, they had that same flyer attached to one of the Lego shelves. No figures in sight though. Either they didn't put them out or someone bought the entire box at once.

Ironmask

12x Iron Man
6x Misc
8x Superman
6x TMNT
8x Green Lantern
Nice review, are these the shang yuan clone or the decool brand? It is said that the decool clones are better made. I want to snag a bunch of the guys, especially the big hulk

I don't know, they do look kind of cheap. Like the flaws you point out in the pictures. It's passable but certainly not up to Lego standards. The new faces also looks amatuerish, like Lego themselves made faces in the early 2000s.

Thanks for the heads up about the Simpson's figs. I just went to mine and they had 17 so I bought them all lol.

Although I did get charged for only 16 which was nice :)

Im sure ill have doubles so I hope some here will wanna trade :)

Thanks for the heads up about the Simpson's figs. I just went to mine and they had 17 so I bought them all lol.

Although I did get charged for only 16 which was nice :)

Im sure ill have doubles so I hope some here will wanna trade :)
Went to 2 walmarts today with no luck. UPC didn't even show up in their system. I'm interested in trading if anyone has extra.

Rootbeer

Banned
Dang it why'd it have to be walmart and not target :)

Hey LEGO store employees... any word on releasing these before March 1st? I mean with wal-mart selling them why hold back?

Also: Oooo Winter Soldier and Fantastic Four bootlegs... I might be game for those

Where did you order these from?

It's amazing how many people messaged me for this information ;)

Amazon. The seller's name was Epaytopus. Search for his name and see his clones for sale. There are other sellers as well, but their prices were not as cheap. The same figs are selling on Ebay for much more than from these Amazon sellers (probably the same person!). Seriously, some custom minigs are sell for $30-50 each which is crazy.

knock offs are kinda cool, but I don't think my brain could handle those paint jobs

I made a point to show the 2 worst paint jobs out of 40 minifigs. Most reviews on these pretty much skp the flaws, which I think is disingenuous. If I mixed them with regular minifigs, no one would be able to tell the difference. Also, I'll be correcting the TMNT mask soon. It will probably be the same level of difficulty as removing the keychain from a minifigure Hulk. It just takes a little bit of care and it's as good as new!

I don't know, they do look kind of cheap. Like the flaws you point out in the pictures. It's passable but certainly not up to Lego standards. The new faces also looks amatuerish, like Lego themselves made faces in the early 2000s.

Perhaps my iPhone pictures are making them look worse than they are. In person they are as good as an official Lego minifigure. Like I said above, if I mixed them with regular minifigures, you would be extremely hard pressed to spot the clones.

Also: Oooo Winter Soldier and Fantastic Four bootlegs... I might be game for those

It's interesting to note the differences between the pics they show in ads and what they eventually produce. For instance, that Winter soldier has 2 solid black arms. In another, he has one flesh tone arm. I bet when they ship, the left arm will be silver by then. The Fantastic Four minis are interesting because there's not really anything to them. That Thing would look great next to minifig Hulk though! You can tell these guys are getting better and better as they produce more knock offs.

That would be remarkable for sure... There are tons of replicas on ebay, he could have bought one to fool you :)

But hey, it's possible.

The Target store in question is out of stock but it was in Richmond, CA

It was real. My buddy brought Mr. Gold to my place along with the certificate that had the code on it. It was in the 48XX range out of 5000. I still can't wrap my head around how lucky he is. I would have thought for sure all the packs in TRU's distribution center have been felt through.

I just went to the Target in Richmond for the first time Thursday night to pick up the Lego 75013 MHC. It was during the price mistake on Target.com where they had it priced at $16.79! I was only able to pick up one at the Richmond Target and another at the Albany one.

As far as I'm aware, unless we're told to by Lego Corporate, Lego stores won't be breaking the street date for the Simpsons figs. I'm actually amazed that these stores already have them in stock so early.

Edit: Whoa didn't see that post above mine before I responded, they look SO GOOD in these pics people have been posting. I cannot wait to pick up my set.

Rootbeer

Banned
We stopped by TRU today....

TRU? orly? HMMMMMMMM!!! Interesting.

Okay... gonna stop by there tomorrow.

Do you have an item # or UPC from the receipt or something I can use to call them and ask?

*edit* okay well I called my TRU they said they don't get them till May 1st... but I'd still like that item # if possible :) I can try calling some other stores

neonglow

I'm just hoping that Amazon.fr stocks the entire box soon. I'm wanna split an entire box with 2 friends since each box has 3 full sets.

I'm just hoping that Amazon.fr stocks the entire box soon. I'm wanna split an entire box with 2 friends since each box has 3 full sets.

Please share as soon as you find out if they carry the Simpsons CMFs. Also, are you in the U.S.? I seem to recall you being in Europe.

neonglow

Please share as soon as you find out if they carry the Simpsons CMFs. Also, are you in the U.S.? I seem to recall you being in Europe.

I live in California. Amazon.fr has listed every previous box for sale. I used to buy them for every series until last year when it was only 2 full sets in a box.

Rootbeer

Banned

wish i knew another person or two to do that with :) but i don't even know how to 100% secure an unopened box near launch day

After seeing all those Classic Space sets, I went and bought the Blacktron Renegade set off ebay, can't wait for it to get here. Has probably the most unique design I've seen for a spaceship before.

After seeing all those Classic Space sets, I went and bought the Blacktron Renegade set off ebay, can't wait for it to get here. Has probably the most unique design I've seen for a spaceship before.

Now you need the Battrax and Invader to complete the set of first wave Blacktron stuff. You could take chunks off of each of those sets and interchange them with the other sets.

So I talked with one of the supervisors to get the official line on street dates. I told her I saw photos online showing they were out in the wild now and asked what I'm supposed to tell customers, should they ask about Lego selling them early.

Turns out that Lego sometimes lets other stores "go first" as a show of good faith or friendliness (she wasn't sure exactly how to classify it). So instead of everyone going directly to the Lego store at release and stealing their business, they get something of a head start. So Simpsons CMF are fair game and open season at normal retailers now, but Lego won't be selling them until Smarch 1st.

Rootbeer

Banned
So I talked with one of the supervisors to get the official line on street dates. I told her I saw photos online showing they were out in the wild now and asked what I'm supposed to tell customers, should they ask about Lego selling them early.

Turns out that Lego sometimes lets other stores "go first" as a show of good faith or friendliness (she wasn't sure exactly how to classify it). So instead of everyone going directly to the Lego store at release and stealing their business, they get something of a head start. So Simpsons CMF are fair game and open season at normal retailers now, but Lego won't be selling them until Smarch 1st.

Alright... well at least I know I can go in march first at 10am and buy some :) That's a Thursday... perfect day for me. I have that morning off.

Now I have to just make sure I PERFECTLY pick the right 16 since one flub means i'll have to source some more, and no telling how difficult that is going to be.

What i'm kinda hoping happens is I'll run into some other AFOLs that morning and we can help each-other out in that area, or maybe the store will be lenient (like I can leave for lunch and come back, then I could technically buy 16 more right? any word on how that works, WordAssassin?:)

Much like when sets and entire lines show up early at Toys R Us and other places. LEGO keeps to their date, because they know it will sell anyways.

Also, it does increase interest a bit if people are hunting everywhere for the things instead of them being everywhere at once.

Rootbeer

Banned
Much like when sets and entire lines show up early at Toys R Us and other places. LEGO keeps to their date, because they know it will sell anyways.

Also, it does increase interest a bit if people are hunting everywhere for the things instead of them being everywhere at once.

But they sell a lot of things earlier than other retailers, look at the early 2014 super hero sets as one example, those hit LEGO stores before amazon was shipping them, you could even get them before TRU did.

So, it's always worth trying to find out, because these dates don't seem to be very consistent.

I don't think the whole "friendliness" to other retailers makes a whole lot of sense, there aren't that many brands out there with their OWN retail locations, it can't be easy. Sure LEGO is in a boom right now but that won't last. They gotta draw as much business into their stores as possible, doesn't that make more sense? Places like TRU or whatever are going to sell their product regardless.

Vyer

TRU? orly? HMMMMMMMM!!! Interesting.

Okay... gonna stop by there tomorrow.

Do you have an item # or UPC from the receipt or something I can use to call them and ask?

*edit* okay well I called my TRU they said they don't get them till May 1st... but I'd still like that item # if possible :) I can try calling some other stores

Sorry I forgot to grab that earlier! Receipt says:

Lego 71005

EDIT:

Last two:

So I blind grabbed 7 bags today and managed to get 7 different figs. That shit never happens for me....

What i'm kinda hoping happens is I'll run into some other AFOLs that morning and we can help each-other out in that area, or maybe the store will be lenient (like I can leave for lunch and come back, then I could technically buy 16 more right? any word on how that works, WordAssassin?:)
All I know is that there's a limit on what employees are allowed to buy, I don't know if it extends to customers too but I'm fairly sure it does since they try to keep reselling to a minimum. The limit for us is 32, which is theoretically 2 complete sets. I don't know if they'd make you leave and come back after buying your initial 16 or if you could just grab them all at once. I've never worked there for a CMF line so I have no idea what to expect, especially since this line will raise the price but also be the first licensed series. All I know is I want a full set for myself and then the second 16 I'll give to friends as gifts.

But they sell a lot of things earlier than other retailers, look at the early 2014 super hero sets as one example, those hit LEGO stores before amazon was shipping them, you could even get them before TRU did.

So, it's always worth trying to find out, because these dates don't seem to be very consistent.

I don't think the whole "friendliness" to other retailers makes a whole lot of sense, there aren't that many brands out there with their OWN retail locations, it can't be easy. Sure LEGO is in a boom right now but that won't last. They gotta draw as much business into their stores as possible, doesn't that make more sense? Places like TRU or whatever are going to sell their product regardless.

I think what she was saying applied specifically to the CMF lines. But I know it goes both ways with exclusives, too. ONLY Targets or TRUs get certain poly bags, Lego Stores don't ever stock those. The Tumbler for example, is Target exclusive, and the Police Bot poly was TRU exclusive. I don't mean promotional bags like MiniFig Hulk or the current Friends promotional set, those are Lego exclusive, but they're [almost] never for sale, they're only available during the promo and then they're gone [almost] forever. Likewise there are shared exclusive sets, such as Rescue Reinforcements for the Lego Movie line or Shredder's Lair from TMNT, those are only available at Lego Stores and TRU.

But I'm fairly sure that she was talking just about how the CMF lines are sold. She said other retailers can sell them as they wish, but once they're sold out, people will have to come to the Lego store to find them. So it's basically what PhoncipleBone said.

Ironmask

May is gonna kill my wallet, i need to get the Mini Cooper but first i must grab a VW before it goes OOP. Then i have to find a samwise hobbit to finish my LotR collection but also grab the Simpsons CMF before they finish in my city. Then i need to buy the lego clones before i go on vacation....
...What a sinkhole that this hobby is....

....btw when we will do our Mixel competition?:)

May is gonna kill my wallet, i need to get the Mini Cooper but first i must grab a VW before it goes OOP. Then i have to find a samwise hobbit to finish my LotR collection but also grab the Simpsons CMF before they finish in my city. Then i need to buy the lego clones before i go on vacation....
...What a sinkhole that this hobby is....

....btw when we will do our Mixel competition?:)

I've obviously missed some news here...

built and put together both Hobbit Dol Guldor sets today... made me really tired of seeing grey >_<

The Azog figure is a huge highlight, very nice minifigure. It feels very complete with the two sets together, but severly lacking if alone.

I'll mainly use it as a place to stash my orcs but overall it's a so so set.

12x Iron Man
6x Misc
8x Superman
6x TMNT
8x Green Lantern

-A little lighter than Lego, but not really that noticeable. Most would never be able to tell the difference.
-All of the transparent pieces varied a great deal. Many were kind of cloudy, most were Lego quality.
-Some were partially assembled, others had to have every single part assembled from the arms to each individual leg.
-Printing was genuinely spot on. A couple of faces were a little blurred on the Tony Starks, but each one of those had multiple faces, so it was no big deal. Overall I was impressed. You can see the one Yellow Lantern below that had it's legs painted on. That was the worst thing in the bunch. Nothing else comes close to that.
-I was supposed to get an Iron Patriot, but instead received 2 "Heartbreaker" Iron Men. I'm OK with that because I already have the retail version.
-The Silver Iron Men are pretty fucking sweet.
-Bizarro is amazing.
-It took me 1.5hrs to assemble all of these.
-I love the lightsaber wielding Dr. Doom and Martian Man-Hunter. Everyone having a gun is pretty funny too.
-Some of the turtles had flashing on their faces. I could remove it smoothly with a thumbnail.
-I love the matching TMNT skateboards. Even Shredder and Splinter got them. All of these have stickers included (not applied in pics) as well as a pizza for every fig that also requires a sticker.
-I will absolutely be buying more of these. Quality and accuracy to actual Lego are surprisingly close, if not perfect.
-At first I was determined to keep these knock off sequestered from my Lego minifigs, but after assembling them and looking them over, I will go ahead and mix them in with my regular minifigs. There's virtually no difference at all. Many are identical in quality.

FZ3fc9k.jpg

I just got mine as well. I got it from the same seller as you and they were in the same foam packing. I went for the Iron Man lot because they had armor that LEGO does not make.

I have not looked over all of them, but just opened one so far (War Machine - grey armor). It's scary how much better this one was compared to some other bootlegs I've seen. I doubt young kids would be able to tell the difference. Also, I'm sure there is quality control issues so I probably got lucky with a good one. Printing was messed up on some bootleg Ninjago minifigs I was curious about months ago. The quality was much worse than the War Machine and they much easier to tell they were not legit.

Clutch seemed decent on the pieces that came with the minifig. There was noticeable clutch issues on my War Machine fig as I'm sure the tolerances aren't at LEGO level. The helmet was very tight fitting on the head stud. The head was also a bit tough to put on the torso. Plastic doesn't have the quality look of LEGO, but I don't think the average LEGO buyer would be able to tell the difference. I left it at work so I'm not able to compare it side by side with the legit LEGO minifig.

I don't like supporting bootlegs, but I'm no angel and do buy some on occasion like this batch. I probably will get some more if the quality continues at the level of the War Machine I have, but only for items that I can't get from LEGO (exclusives) and sets I missed out.

If quality continues to improve on these bootlegs, I'm sure LEGO will be all over them as I could see kids wanting these (and parents for their kids) since they can't afford all the LEGO sets to get the minifigs.

I've obviously missed some news here...
Nothing is official yet but it's rumored that the May 15th secret VIP set is a Mini Cooper.

May is gonna kill me too cause I'm gonna grab my limit of 32 Simpsons CMF, and I'm also gonna nab the Sand Crawler. Gonna have to cut it off there unless people return OOP sets like what happened with Shredder's bike. Someone walked in with a $34 Lone Ranger set and they wanted to get store credit for it, but it only rings as $14 in our system. I coulda got that for $7!!! but he decided to try and sell it for more on eBay. D:<

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Those Simpsons CMFs are gradually winning me over, think I'll definitely grab Burns, Apu, Homer and Krusty for sure. Will see what the others look like when more photos come out. Might be worth picking up more to sell on later though, seems like they'll be quite popular.

Top Bottom