• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally sorted my second PAB cup from the weekend:

18 2x4 light grey brick
10 2x4 dark grey brick
20 2x2 brown brick
65 1x1 lime green round plate
68 1x1 pink round plate
68 1x1 grey SNOT
100 2x2 grey slope
123 1x2 orange plate
295 2x2 orange tile

767 pcs. $0.02 a brick roughly. Not a bad haul from this cup either.

They won't introduce regular Disney mini figures just to do a flagship set with mini dolls. It will be regular mini figs.

I should have put a winky face. I was joking. I'd imagine virtual riots and forums flaming LEGO if they made a $200+ UCS type set with minidolls with Friends theme aesthetics.

Also, I think you meant PAB $0.02 per piece in your post above.

neonglow

We should hold a contest with this set. (Just saw it on jangbricks) Its cheap, has a lot of useful parts, and ya know we havent done one in two years so I'd say its about time.

If no one else wants to do it i'd be down for making a thread about it in a couple days.

pTRU1-22183009dt.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc_i2Z0GRbI

I'm in! I already own the set. Someone take charge and make a MOC thread. We never did manage to make a second contest after that first one years ago.

Rootbeer

Banned
Bought that plane... just in case :p

Also... super expensive Disney Castle!? As long as it's not minidolls (seems very unlikely at this point), and it's a big set... i'm game. But I also have tons of VIP points to use up, so of course I'm game!

Wanderer5

I really want this Eclipse fighter. just2good has a review already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA3qyFKSHiw

I have a feeling i will buy it as soon as it's in general release and then buy more whenever they're on sale. I love that printed circle piece.

I glad there no stickers at all too, and those circle pieces do look pretty nice indeed. I hope the thing as a whole doesn't feel loose with it being able to swap between two forms, but J2G said it was sturdy.

So well there a lego star wars set I be interested in this summer. Wish I can say the same to Vader's TIE.:/

Picture bomb incoming:

The Green Grocer i bought used off Ebay is DONE! Overall, maybe 1 or 2 trivial pieces missing, all the important stuff was there and in pretty good shape:

OfWIih2.jpg

Backside with dat amazing Fire escape:

aq3sgLf.jpg

Some people prefer to check out the goods before they buy:

ONlFEQp.jpg

I LOVE the way these lights are made:

mKf9Xul.jpg

Batzarro wants to know what all the ruckus is:

RYdb9vj.jpg

There really isn't MUCH of an interior here but what IS there is pretty damn awesome, mainly that beautiful old clock and the radiator (where Vintage Zane is currently chilling next to)

j5emeie.jpg

Rooftop Partaaaay! I love that there actually IS a usable rooftop that you can populate with figs. Something that other modulars are sorely lacking

ugZHJxJ.jpg

All in all, a GREAT build! Of the ones i have built so far the build and the final look of this did NOT disappoint! One of the greatest modulars for sure and truly worth getting for me personally, even if i had to shell out quite a bit for it, but it would have driven me nuts to bricklink it all by myself over a long period of time for just a little less money!

Congrats on the Best Modular! It's definitely worth tracking it down now, as it will only get more expensive. The alternative, I guess, is making a palette swap, as that design works well in many other colours.

It's truly beautiful, regal and a fun build. Some interiors would have been nice, but on the other hand that would have made the building smaller (see: Parisian Restaurant).

Just one thing: the ladder between the lower fire escape platforms should be raised up so that it "connects" with the speargun used on the upper platform.

Congrats on the Best Modular! It's definitely worth tracking it down now, as it will only get more expensive. The alternative, I guess, is making a palette swap, as that design works well in many other colours.

It's truly beautiful, regal and a fun build. Some interiors would have been nice, but on the other hand that would have made the building smaller (see: Parisian Restaurant).

Just one thing: the ladder between the lower fire escape platforms should be raised up so that it "connects" with the speargun used on the upper platform.

LOL what a dumb oversight on my part, it's obvious after you pointed it out, thanks :)

"Regal" is the right word to describe the build and the look of the Green Grocer! I feel like the whole thing oozes a long forgotten architectural atmosphere of majestic grandeur that has since been replaced by more functional and "modern" type of builds/looks.

I also agree that now is probably the last point of entry for those that still want to get it at a high but still doable price point, unless Lego suddenly decides to raise some of those old pieces from the dead simultaneously and use them for a new set!

Got my first batch of the Disney CMFs last night. Was mostly feeling around for Cheshire cat (my fave) and maleficent, but also got mickey, pan and hook by randomly grabbing a few more. Will try to grab Donald and Alice sometime this weekend, hopefully!

This was at a Canadian wal mart by the way.

Wanderer5

JANG talks about the 75098 Assault on Hoth controversy:

http://youtu.be/X8uj_CnQEV8

This has been quite a interesting topic. Yeah to me, the biggest problem with this set is that as a playset, it just feels really lacking as a assault, along with some areas that could used some tweaking or be removed (like the wampa cave). A USC being a playset might not be a bad thing, and Ewok Village looks like one that was a success, but it also look pretty complete unlike this one.

TheFuzz

Picture bomb incoming

All in all, a GREAT build! Of the ones i have built so far the build and the final look of this did NOT disappoint! One of the greatest modulars for sure and truly worth getting for me personally, even if i had to shell out quite a bit for it, but it would have driven me nuts to bricklink it all by myself over a long period of time for just a little less money!

I think your guard rails on the fire escape are angled incorrectly. I think they're supposed to bow inward towards the steps, right? Like the droid arms are turned the wrong way?

I think your guard rails on the fire escape are angled incorrectly. I think they're supposed to bow inward towards the steps, right? Like the droid arms are turned the wrong way?

Nah, i just checked Brickset 3D viewer to be sure and it seems they are supposed to be angled like this. It actually DOES look like they should but i followed instructions pretty closely and something like this would require me to do it wrong every time on numerous steps.

TheFuzz

Nah, i just checked Brickset 3D viewer to be sure and it they are supposed to be angled like this. It actually DOES look like they should but i followed instructions pretty closely and something like this would require me to do it wrong every time on numerous steps.

Gotcha. After building the GB HQ it struck me as odd but I can see it prolly looks better that way.

Checked 2 targets, 3 walmarts, and a Lego store and no Disney cmf...

I posted that my Target stacked the Disney CMFs in with Series 15, in a Series 15 box, and when I was back there on Tuesday, the Series 15 box was gone and a Series 14 box was in its place. Empty. I have no idea what is going on with that Target and minifigs anymore. No Wal-Marts around me have ever had CMFs, unfortunately.

Seems to be a US phenomenon, as i have seen them all over the place already in EU stores.

Also:

I was originally gonna make the "Golden Falcon" but then i quickly realized how a ton of pieces don't exist in Pearl Gold :( so i had to substitute.

This is also somewhat modded a tiny bit because of piece availability/color constraints (the lack of flick fire missiles won't bother anyone i suppose :p )

bNVuViR.jpg

lZFXnmy.jpg

fqwPyJE.jpg

Kinda havin fun with these color swap Microfighters, after already doing my Ice cold Star Destroyer, and now this i may do the AT-AT next or something...

flash0222

Neo Member

Found some at my local Walmart Tuesday after work.
Picked up 10 (blind grab), paid got out to the car.

Thought about it more, went back in and blindly grabbed another 12.

Got 16/18, the only 2 missing coming in from Bricklink now, set complete :)

willp2003

Can't remember who was looking for the nightwing figure wth the Gotham City breakout dvd (Winnie the pimp?) but Amazon uk now have the blu-Ray including the fig for £9. Also the super heroes encyclopaedia is only £4 on there.

mrkgoo

I'm in! I already own the set. Someone take charge and make a MOC thread. We never did manage to make a second contest after that first one years ago.
We had several contests actually. Not everyone could participate because the sets were not available everywhere.

We did one with, if I recall:

Blue car
Blue jet
Red dinosaur
Mixels

I have this plane set and it's a reasonably good mix of parts. I'd be in.

I use to organise the photographic "contest" - the key was to keep it turning around quickly. Not to linger on an elaborate voting process, not to worry about prizes or anything. Just do one, have a ton of fun, and move on. Best to be as inclusive as possible by having cheap and accessible sets.

Can keep things varied by not just changing up sets but having themes etc. like one week it might be based on a set, the next week it might be on a theme model.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Can't remember who was looking for the nightwing figure wth the Gotham City breakout dvd (Winnie the pimp?) but Amazon uk now have the blu-Ray including the fig for £9. Also the super heroes encyclopaedia is only £4 on there.
I got Buccaneer Batman earlier this week for £5, i'm jumping in for this too.

I havent got a Nightwing fig, and it's been a while since he appeared in a proper set.

3N16MA

Banned
Haven't picked up any Disney CMF yet. I have no clue what stock is like in different retail stores as I haven't bothered checking. Hopefully I can start grabbing a few this weekend for my nieces.

Wanderer5

Birthday today, and was given a $50 gift card to Barnes and Nobles, along with a couple other gift cards, so I now have like $110 of B&N money heh. Could push me to check out a $50-80 set.XD

Wanderer5

Disney figures? SW Troop Transport?

Dunno lol. Still haven't seen Disney figures there and kind of too bad the sale for the Troop Transporter isn't at B&N. I currently have thoughts on Civil War Airport Battle, or maybe maybe something later on. Through if the guardians of the galaxy ship was still at the B&N I went to today, I would have went with that likely lol.

Dunno lol. Still haven't seen Disney figures there and kind of too bad the sale for the Troop Transporter isn't at B&N. I currently have thoughts on Civil War Airport Battle, or maybe maybe something later on. Through if the guardians of the galaxy ship was still at the B&N I went to today, I would have went with that likely lol.
Oh, if they have Milano jump on it.
Also, their website does have some hard to find sets like Mini Cooper, etc.

Wanderer5

Oh, if they have Milano jump on it.
Also, their website does have some hard to find sets like Mini Cooper, etc.

Meh nothing from there (or so pricey). Wasn't the Toy shop a disappointment?

And shame I didn't jumped on Milano, but I didn't have my cards at the time.:/ I keep seeing Darkseid Invasion through heh.

Birthday today, and was given a $50 gift card to Barnes and Nobles, along with a couple other gift cards, so I now have like $110 of B&N money heh. Could push me to check out a $50-80 set.XD

Happy birthday!

I just got back from Cap 3. LEGO definitely could have done BP better, but I'll take what we have. I'd read a number of complaints about how
TLG spoiled a major moment in the film, and I totally agree. I can't believe they got the green light on the Airport set so far in advance of the film's release.
. I still enjoyed it, even if I was fading fast near the end.

I'm surprised we haven't got a General Ross fig as some sort of promotional polybag.

Koren

Just placed a BL order for 80% of parts of a sand-blue "Green" Grocer. Lego, as a hobby, is both time-consuming and expensive :/ But I'm sure I'll enjoy the result, and it's quite fun to hunt the parts.

teeny

Just placed a BL order for 80% of parts of a sand-blue "Green" Grocer. Lego, as a hobby, is both time-consuming and expensive :/ But I'm sure I'll enjoy the result, and it's quite fun to hunt the parts.

Brick Link is simultaneously the best and the worst :p

I need to to put another order in for my modular MOC (more bloody tiles) but I'm going to see what's on my nearest PAB wall first.

wetwired

That must be an awesome feeling on top of something that must feel pretty awesome every time you see it.

I've never played any of his games :p

It's cool, no doubt. But I think I was more excited when Joe Hill, writer of Locke and Key tweeted about buying it ages ago or when Duncan Jones followed me on twitter (admittedly so I could send him a key for the game I made, but still)

It's cool, no doubt. But I think I was more excited when Joe Hill, writer of Locke and Key tweeted about buying it ages ago or when Duncan Jones followed me on twitter (admittedly so I could send him a key for the game I made, but still)

This only reminds me that i still need to get on finishing Locke & Key, i've only ever read the first volume but really enjoyed it!

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure how I missed this, one of my friends even tweeted it at me

Capture.JPG
He stopped by my desk to take a look at my Ghostbusters fire house and your Ecto sitting in the garage when he was visiting my studio a few months ago. That was like the highlight of my life.

teeny

Now you are just showing off ;)

wetwired

He stopped by my desk to take a look at my Ghostbusters fire house and your Ecto sitting in the garage when he was visiting my studio a few months ago. That was like the highlight of my life.

Maybe that's why he bought it? you influenced him!

What studio was that?

Wanderer5

You know what, think it time to finally check out a Lego ideas set. Wall-E could be a very good choice, but I wonder if B&N has Ecto. Probably online, but I haven't seen it at any B&N store at all.

ghostmind

"Offsite meeting" successful, thanks again for posting this Ghostmind.

For any other Canadians reading this, note that the clerks now need to scan each promotional polybag which they never used to do.

You are welcome - I acquired a couple as well, but the store didn't scan mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom