• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finished the first step of Assembly Square in record time and am well into the second. This is already my favorite modular since the Parisian Restaurant. The fountain looks like it's going to be a particularly gorgeous feature.

BahamutPT

There's a super-expensive store in Portugal (which also has a minimum of >60€) that I remember for having almost every rare item available. I'd be curious to see thee stock...

If it's the same guy that was dominating my Auto-Finder tries until I blocked him.
Was helping a LUG member to Brickling a MOC modular and we could get like 95% or more items just from him. But it would cost around 800 Euro. I blocked him, and we got down to around 360 Euro including shipping in 5 different orders around EU.

I have a feeling the tactics to get to top of the Auto-Finder picks and make huge margin on BL users that can't play the new system.

Probably the same store I had to block. Selling 2x3 DBG plates for 1€ or something like that.
I don't think people can even fall for that.

Remember when I hinted about a build recently? Well...

Trico-posterized.jpg

Project approval pending...

willp2003

Looks good Siegfried!
Started building my second modular tonight (Pet shop). Loving it so far. I'm so glad I went down the dark hole that is modulars. Got another 4 to build after this and yet to pick up A.S.
Need to sort out my collection this weekend so I can display them all.

Looks good Siegfried!
Started building my second modular tonight (Pet shop). Loving it so far. I'm so glad I went down the dark hole that is modulars. Got another 4 to build after this and yet to pick up A.S.
Need to sort out my collection this weekend so I can display them all.

I buy a lot of Lego, and the modulars have always been my favorite sets. Started with the Fire Brigade and haven't let any slip by me since!

I missed out on town hall and I go back and forth on whether I regret not getting it. I never really cared for it and honestly I prefer the look of a busy shopping type street over other buildings so I'm not super into the bank either and I honestly am only lukewarm on fire brigade too, even though I own it. Assembly Square is a must-buy, though!

LEGO OT6- A Brick Wall Where We Want Jumpers

wow for being dark.

Lets wait until the LBM is released.....there is bound to be a goldmine of quotable taglines for the thread.
I'm gonna show up at 9am when it opens, I plan to get at least 1 PAB cup, joker car, catwoman chase and the joker balloon set. I've bricklinked all the minifigs from the batcave, the riddler and mr freeze so I won't be buying those sets, I intend to buy the poison ivy minifig at some point too.

They apparently have 500 of this set for orders over $200 so hopefully I can snag one.

retail-box-image.jpg

Australia is less densely populated than the UK so hopefully i have a good chance of getting one
I can't quite figure out why Australia's first Lego store would open in BrisVegas. Oh, well.

wetwired

wow for being dark.

Lets wait until the LBM is released.....there is bound to be a goldmine of quotable taglines for the thread.

I can't quite figure out why Australia's first Lego store would open in BrisVegas. Oh, well.

It's on the Gold Coast really, it's because it gets a lot of tourist through there

wetwired

Back from the day at Dreamworld for the opening, it opened at 9am and I turned up about 9:15am to this queue.

It was disgustingly hot and humid at first but the sun came out and then it was just...worse. I took 2 bottles of water for myself and my 2 kids which went quick and they were handing out water which we took advantage of. 2 coats of sunscreen and we still all came back sunburnt.

They had some people in lego costumes, a nexo knight and a city fireman wandering around in the heat to keep the kids entertained.

It was 2.5 hours roughly in the queue before we got in. I took a few pics of the builds/sculptures they had on offer but I didn't hang around long as I was a bit over it after the heat. I snagged the below plus the Moana boat set for my two kids which I forgot to include in the pic

Glad to get the Lego exclusive store set, they ran out about 30 mins after I got mine apparently.

I didn't bother with the PAB wall, there's apparently 60+ elements on offer but from what I could tell it was a lot of 2x4 bricks in various colours plus some randoms, I did see the had 2x4 blue azure and 2x2 trans clear panels which I will definitely go back for, but another day when it's less busy and I can pack the cups without crowds or time pressures.

I'll have to get some better pics of the sculpts without my kids in them too but here's one for the road

Back from the day at Dreamworld for the opening, it opened at 9am and I turned up about 9:15am to this queue.

It was disgustingly hot and humid at first but the sun came out and then it was just...worse. I took 2 bottles of water for myself and my 2 kids which went quick and they were handing out water which we took advantage of. 2 coats of sunscreen and we still all came back sunburnt.

They had some people in lego costumes, a nexo knight and a city fireman wandering around in the heat to keep the kids entertained.

It was 2.5 hours roughly in the queue before we got in. I took a few pics of the builds/sculptures they had on offer but I didn't hang around long as I was a bit over it after the heat. I snagged the below plus the Moana boat set for my two kids which I forgot to include in the pic

Glad to get the Lego exclusive store set, they ran out about 30 mins after I got mine apparently.

I didn't bother with the PAB wall, there's apparently 60+ elements on offer but from what I could tell it was a lot of 2x4 bricks in various colours plus some randoms, I did see the had 2x4 blue azure and 2x2 trans clear panels which I will definitely go back for, but another day when it's less busy and I can pack the cups without crowds or time pressures.

I'll have to get some better pics of the sculpts without my kids in them too but here's one for the road
Wow. Yeah, the Sweden one's launch was nice since it was in a newly built mall.

Has anyone checked out the Super Hero Girls sets?

Edit: LEGO wished everyone a good rooster year:

NysGAF

I wonder how hard it would be to build the Mini Cooper in red instead of green... Ever heard of anyone trying such a thing?

Modular newbie question: which is the best way to connect a row of modular buildings to the road plates? Expand the sidewalks by connecting the building baseplate and the road plates using plates over both (making a two-plates sidewalk, elevating everything)? Or just connect the plates using the 2x2 tile plates that make the cover of the sidewalk (this seems weak to me...)?

I remember a user here that post an incredible layout that expand over the four corners of his room, cannot find the images anymore neither remember who posted it...

Edited: found the post I was talking about, it was made by ninge. As I can see the plates are tied with the 2x2 tiles, right? Is it enough?

Koren

I wonder how hard it would be to build the Mini Cooper in red instead of green...
Probably not that hard... with a tricky part.

I've just checked, all dark green parts required are available in red on Bricklink, except two: the four 62360 windscreen used over the wheels, and the two 93604 triple-curved wedge used on both side of license plate on the back. You'll need to be clever to find replacement for those (or repaint them).

Beside this, the easiest would probably to buy a normal mini cooper, import the parts list in Bricklink, remove all parts except dark green, switch their colors to red, and begin looking for BL shops that sell them.

White is probably the only color swap possible without changing anything.

Koren

Or just connect the plates using the 2x2 tile plates that make the cover of the sidewalk (this seems weak to me...)?
It's definitively not weak...

It should be checked with road plates, but I have some mosaic work on my wall which is basically 2x2 tiles on 4x6 plates, the 2x2 tiles binding the 4x6 plates together. I though I would need something behind the 4x6 plates to make the thing sturdier, but Lego pieces tolerance is so tiny that it's REALLY solid (and it's not even on a flat surface, it's hanging on a wall). I can take if from one side and move it, everything holds.

To give you an idea, this was a WIP picture:

Every 2x2 tile is just held by a single set of plates behind.

papluh

Beside this, the easiest would probably to buy a normal mini cooper, import the parts list in Bricklink, remove all parts except dark green, switch their colors to red, and begin looking for BL shops that sell them.

I was just doing that :)
http://pastebin.com/fq3JriSZ
Here is the pastebin with BL XML for the DkGreen parts to import into Wanted lists. As there are no printed parts of "Modified 1 x 4 x 1 1/3 No Studs, Curved Top" in other colors than DkGreen, I merged the printed ones to non-printed amount.

As mentioned, the real problem is to get the 4x 'Windscreen 3 x 6 x 1 Curved' in reasonable solid color. You could use black to mimic unpainted plastic, but ... those are really expensive.
The 'Wedge 3 x 4 x 2/3 Triple Curved' in DkRed could be ok for a Red mini

Koren

As mentioned, the real problem is to get the 4x 'Windscreen 3 x 6 x 1 Curved' in reasonable solid color. You could use black to mimic unpainted plastic, but ... those are really expensive.
I'd probably try white... They're cheap, and it can be a remainder of the white roof.

The 'Wedge 3 x 4 x 2/3 Triple Curved' in DkRed could be ok for a Red mini
They exist in dark red? I've seen them in reddish brown, but not dark red...

But I think it's easier to find alternatives... Something with 11477 (curved 1x2 slopes) and cheeses can probably approximate the shape decently while still being red.

papluh

They exist in dark red? I've seen them in reddish brown, but not dark red...

But I think it's easier to find alternatives... Something with 11477 (curved 1x2 slopes) and cheeses can probably approximate the shape decently while still being red.

Ah, missed that.
Reddish brown would be good for a rust bucket mod :D

Maybe "Red Wedge 3 x 4 x 2/3 Cutout" and some curved slopes. But in LDD it looks the radius on the slopes is different.

Bought that Grand Emporium set I was talking about. The seller was really nice, provided the pictures I wanted to see and everything was OK at the end, but I am glad I research it before and asked for the help here, guys, because one of the bags (the unnumbered one) was not inside the box, but the seller found it very quickly in his backlog.

Now just wait for it to arrive.

And control myself to not buy the other modulars right away (the hardest part will be to buy Palace Cinema before Parisian Restaurant...)

Pet Shop was assembled over the week.

Woorloog

Banned
Built Krennic's Shuttle (bought it a couple of weeks back when i saw one on sale for 70€).

Looks very nice.
Don't have space to keep its wings open though, nor do i have anything that works as a stand.

The left-side "wall" is problematic though. I think there's a loose technic piece or something, because it doesn't quite lineup right.

Ponn

Banned
I know! One down:

bRUTwSE.jpg

YSEPuL2.jpg

One to go! I think I want the rest of the Elves sets though! I love the color palette on the bricks and the style is just so cool.

You know that looks really cool. I think I may have to pick that up by next halloween, that would look really good combine with the Scooby Mansion set for a halloween display.

Has anyone checked out the Super Hero Girls sets?:

Not yet but I plan on getting the Batgirl set on my Feb order for the free Krypto set.

It's definitively not weak...

It should be checked with road plates, but I have some mosaic work on my wall which is basically 2x2 tiles on 4x6 plates, the 2x2 tiles binding the 4x6 plates together. I though I would need something behind the 4x6 plates to make the thing sturdier, but Lego pieces tolerance is so tiny that it's REALLY solid (and it's not even on a flat surface, it's hanging on a wall). I can take if from one side and move it, everything holds.

To give you an idea, this was a WIP picture:

Every 2x2 tile is just held by a single set of plates behind.
I love this so much.

NysGAF

Probably not that hard... with a tricky part.

I've just checked, all dark green parts required are available in red on Bricklink, except two: the four 62360 windscreen used over the wheels, and the two 93604 triple-curved wedge used on both side of license plate on the back. You'll need to be clever to find replacement for those (or repaint them).

That's some good advice. Thank you!

finalflame

Get the Queen Dragon set next. The building part should be a perfect extension for that.

It's on my radar! I also really love the Starlight Inn and Elvendale. Fffff.

Also, tfw when you just got back into Lego and realize you'll never get to open and build a new Green Grocer set without selling your kidney ;'(

Just got Robo Explorer. I love it. The design is great and looks good from all angles. Love the use of toilet seats as eye rims. Nice that it includes a little rock to pick up too. Light brick is always nice to get. Its a little small for $20 though, probably cause of the treads using 1/4 of the piece count. Really wish they wouldn't count those tiny things as a full piece, kind of inflates the price too much. Same thing happened with 2015's arctic bulldozer. Feels more like a $15 set. But im fine with it being $20 cause its so damn cool.

Just got Robo Explorer. I love it. The design is great and looks good from all angles. Love the use of toilet seats as eye rims. Nice that it includes a little rock to pick up too. Light brick is always nice to get. Its a little small for $20 though, probably cause of the treads using 1/4 of the piece count. Really wish they wouldn't count those tiny things as a full piece, kind of inflates the price too much. Same thing happened with 2015's arctic bulldozer. Feels more like a $15 set. But im fine with it being $20 cause its so damn cool.
Still an easy recommendation at $20. I haven't tried the alt builds yet, but the main one is so fun and lends to posing so well.

finalflame

Welp, ended up back at the Lego Store today because I really wanted the Pizza Van after seeing pictures of it on /r/Lego, and then this just kinda .. happened

urkOwDG.jpg

Gonna be a fun week.

Saerk

Everybody should check out your 99 cent stores. I swung by 3 different ones today and I managed to snag 10 different lego dimension sets. 99 cents each.

Homer, Bart, 2 Chima, 1 Ninjago, Bad Cop, Wicked Witch, Legolas, Gimli, and Golum. Different stores seemed to get different sets in bulk. One of them only had Bart's and Bad Cop. There were tons of them. I think there are some others ones out there, but that's what mine had.

Maengun1

A week. I guess I'm slow, that would be months of work for me

Haha, same here.

1. I'm slow to begin with
2. I usually build sort of absentmindedly while watching a movie or show
3. I don't sort at all
4. I rarely go for more than 2 hours at a time

A single modular building can easily take me 10 days to complete

willp2003

Welp......

Gonna be a fun week.

Don't burn yourself out and end up needing another 3 years out!

I've spread my pet shop build over 3 days and will finish it later after work.
There's something so satisfying about using brand new Lego, and putting all those tiles in place on the modulars. Love it.

Andrin

I know! One down:

bRUTwSE.jpg

YSEPuL2.jpg

One to go! I think I want the rest of the Elves sets though! I love the color palette on the bricks and the style is just so cool.

That set looks great! Every time I see it I'm tempted to buy it simply as a base for a castle for the Maleficent fig from the Disney line.

Just finished the F40, great set. However, I do like the Caterham more, at least the finished display. Either way...give us more sports cars!

It warms my heart to hear so much praise for the Shadow Castle, i loved the look of that set ever since i first saw pics of it back then...

Also: random Ninja shot (yes i know Giant Man is not a ninja)

qgYHkjo.jpg

Did i ever mention how much i love Jay's Nanomech? Best Mech in that size PERIOD!

(It may also be the only official one in that size lol? Pretty sure Kai's Firemech is bigger)

It warms my heart to hear so much praise for the Shadow Castle, i loved the look of that set ever since i first saw pics of it back then...

Also: random Ninja shot (yes i know Giant Man is not a ninja)

qgYHkjo.jpg

Did i ever mention how much i love Jay's Nanomech? Best Mech in that size PERIOD!

(It may also be the only official one in that size lol? Pretty sure Kai's Firemech is bigger)

Such a great polybag. Still one of my kids favourites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom